YLOD Question for the techies.

• Thread starter chippy1000
  • 32 comments
chippy1000
Ok my fat has finally gone YLOD on me, it wont turn on and I have not done a backup since February. Its gonna cost me a couple of hundred to get it fixed with no guarantee that it will even work again so I was thinking about just buying a new slim model.

So my question is, can I somehow get my GT5 save data off the old one and onto the new one?

I don't think it's possible. The game save codes itself to the PS3 it's played on I believe.

Isn't there a way or trick to have your ps3 turn on temporarily so you can transfer the old data to the new PS3?

chippy1000
Anymore info on this?

All I need is to turn it on for a few minutes to save GT5 to my USB again.

Don't know? Some kind of trick so you could turn it on quick, try Google? Or ask around?

you can get a new ps3 and put the old ps3's HDD in it and save it and other stuff to a USB and tranfer to the new ps3's bigger hdd

you can get a new ps3 and put the old ps3's HDD in it and save it and other stuff to a USB and tranfer to the new ps3's bigger hdd

No you can't. The hard drive is automatically formatted when swapping it over. All your saves would be deleted.

Not to mention that the GT5 saves are all copy-write protected, meaning you can't copy the file on to USB.

I understand that it is a pain, but you're better off spending a few hundred more for a console that you know wont need to go back in for repairing.

Not to mention that the GT5 saves are all copy-write protected, meaning you can't copy the file on to USB.

I understand that it is a pain, but you're better off spending a few hundred more for a console that you know wont need to go back in for repairing.

That is only true if you have not updated GT5 to at least version 1.05 yet.

This could be a way to get your PS3 working for a few minutes to quickly backup your gamesaves.

I am more than happy to spend the money on a new one but the GT5 save is the crucial thing here.

That is only true if you have not updated GT5 to at least version 1.05 yet.

This could be a way to get your PS3 working for a few minutes to quickly backup your gamesaves.

Thanks, I will be giving this a try tomorrow. 👍

And also try:

Putting your PS3 in the oven (Crazy- but it works 👍)
Replacing the PS3s Thermal Paste.

These fixes are only temporary and your PS3 will YLOD again shortly so use the time to-
-Back up all Save Data you want
-Deactivate your PS3 from Gaming and Video services.

By that time your PS3 will have done all it needs to do- and let it YLOD again.

👍

I fixed mine with ease using a YLOD Repair Kit I bought off ebay, click the picture below for a direct link (you'll need a heat gun aswell). I then transfered all my data over to my new PS3 Slim, click here for the Sony Data Transfer Guide.

Here's a video from the guy selling the kit above:

Good luck!

👍

VBR
I fixed mine with ease using a YLOD Repair Kit I bought off ebay, click the picture below for a direct link (you'll need a heat gun aswell). I then transfered all my data over to my new PS3 Slim, click here for the Sony Data Transfer Guide.

Here's a video from the guy selling the kit above:

Good luck!

👍

To do the same thing can be free if you use one of these....

oven.jpg

I had a YLOD on my fat PS3.So I bought a slim PS3 and they are awesome!My fat PS3 got fixed and I had no memory loss on it!So I gave my fat PS3 to my sister and she just played Black Ops with her her Boyfriend.Problem was the PS3 got dusty and she never cleaned it.So she had a YLOD and I'm just playing on my slim PS3. :)

To do the same thing can be free if you use one of these....

oven.jpg

Really? Does an oven come with a specially formulated re-flow flux? Does an oven come with specially formulated thermal paste for a PS3? Does it come with a T10 screwdriver so that you can actually take the PS3 apart? And does it come with a step by step walk through with pictures? By the way, in case you didn't get it, theses questions are rhetorical!

:P 👎 :lol:

VBR
Really? Does an oven come with a specially formulated re-flow flux? Does an oven come with specially formulated thermal paste for a PS3? Does it come with a T10 screwdriver so that you can actually take the PS3 apart? And does it come with a step by step walk through with pictures? By the way, in case you didn't get it, theses questions are rhetorical!

:P 👎 :lol:

Many posts in this thread are filled with inaccuracies. My Fat PS3 went YLOD and I fixed it myself. Here are a few things of note:

1- When GT5 originally came out, the save game was copy-write locked, but this changed after a certain update. If your GT5 game was up to date, this isn't a concern for you.
2- The game save is NOT locked to the PS3 it was created by.
3- The game save IS locked to the PSN account it was used to create it.
4- You can follow Gliksy's method to fix your PS3 (I did this) using a heat gun and thermal paste on your BGAs, but this is only temporary. My PS3 remained in non-working conditions until I saved enough for a new slim. I'd recommend fixing it only after you acquire a new PS3 and then doing a PS3 data transfer, this transfers even copy-locked gamesaves, but removes them from the original PS3. Non-locked game saves remain on both units. This data transfer method is done via a LAN cable, and no external HDD is required. I recommend this method over a full HDD back up onto an external drive. I believe the latter does not back up your locked saves, just those with no copy restrictions.
5- If you don't want to recover anything from your old PS3 but your GT5 game save, you can simply make a new username on the new PS3 and register the same PSN account you used on your YLOD PS3, back up your save on an USB stick and save it onto the new PS3.
6- If you try removing the hard drive of your YLOD PS3 and put it into another unit, it'll be formatted and you'll lose the data forever.

It's difficultish to repair it, but achievable. Don't give up. Also don't forget that the heat gun repair is only temporary, the permanent method is to do a reballing process which you can't do at home and is more expensive.

Cant you put the hard drive in a case (like I did with my old hard drive to make use of it) and do a system restore from that one to the new????? I did that when I swaped hard drives...

If you're talking about grabbing the YLOD PS3's hard drive, nope, to restore a drive you need to specifically make a back up file via the PS3 back up menu.

It's quicker & easier with a heat gun, takes about 20 seconds per processor, & there's only 2 that need doing. Also, in that video he never recommended a temperature, & he never said if it worked for him or not, unless I missed something.

I know that proper engineers have a special oven for re-flow work, & either way, you'll get a better re-flow if you use proper flux.

👍

PS: I bet an oven isn't gonna tell you how to improve the heatsink efficiency, by bending the clamps either! :P

Well I bought a new console today so I tried the hair dryer trick but had no luck, so Ill be starting from a very old save. Oh well **** happens.

Well I bought a new console today so I tried the hair dryer trick but had no luck, so Ill be starting from a very old save. Oh well **** happens.

So you've got nothing to lose by opening it up and putting a proper heat gun to the BGAs then. 290 degrees for justs over a minute it takes to melt the solder properly. Follow the youtube guides.

My 60GB fat YLOD'd, so i reflowed it using a heatgun, fixed, 6 weeks later it YLODd again, so again i reflowed it, then it YLOD'd again after 2 weeks. so its now away being reballed (where they replace the solder with fresh stuff that wont break down with age)...

Cost of a reball service from MANY MANY ebay sellers.....£35 (postage of PS3 on top so its costing me £60)

Feedback ratings of the seller that is reballing my PS3.... 99.5%

so if sony think they're getting £180 for a slim, or £130 to fix my fat...theyre very much mistaken

Last edited:
PS: I bet an oven isn't gonna tell you how to improve the heatsink efficiency, by bending the clamps either! :P

does that really work ? because im overdue to replace the thermal paste and just wondering . im almost amazed at my ps3 almost 4 years old and runs 20+ hours a week its fat 80GB CECHE01 for those wondering.

Last edited:
Hi I have an 80 GB CECHE01 (MGS4 bundle) model, I've had it for about 5 years running with no problems at all. I got the YLOD yesterday, and been checking for solutions ever since, I just have a couple of questions.

Q1) If I manage to start it up using the hair dryer method, is saving GT5 save data to a USB enough to cover everything GT5 related or do I need to save the game data too.

Q2) Why do I need to deactivate my psn account? Can't I just login from a different PS3 and retain my id etc? I need some clarification as I don't fully understand this part.

Q3) If I can't fix my fat 80GB ps3, are the slim ones immune to the YLOD or not?

Q4) Why would it get YLOD after 5 years of perfect operation? Are the fixes permanent or would the YLOD come back again?

I used a variation on the "hairdryer fix", but instead of putting it into a closed space and heating it blindly like the sheep that most people are. I stripped all the components apart (card reader, power supply, bluray drive, on/off/eject plate, back plate and the battery that connects to the motherboard).
Then I put only the PCB (the metal plate which 'sandwiches' the motherboard) as well with the fan, back into the lower case (so it would keep the entire structure levelled).
Then I used the hairdryer on it for 15 minutes. The first time I did it, I was blowing it directly at the under-side of the GPU (since when you keep the PS3 horizontally, the processors are actually flipped facing down). It didn't work.

So then I did the same thing, but got myself a 2nd fan, and removed the plate which squeezes the fan to the GPU (I didn't even look at the CPU, since it doesn't cause any problems). 1 Hairdryer was blowing on the reverse side of the motherboard (under the GPU) and another one into the vent from the back which goes directly to the GPU. After 5 minutes I carefully put the plate on and screwed it in and then proceeded to continue blowing hot air on it.
During this process you can hear cracks coming from either the motherboard (which when the 1st time I opened it, it was visibly twisted). After the 15 minute mark I lowered 'gears' on the hairdryers until it got to cool wind, so it would rapidly cool the motherboard as well as the hairdryers themselves.
Then I slowly moved the PS3 under some cold AC wind to allow everything to rapidly cool and hopefully remain soldered in the right places.
After about an hour I reassembled the whole thing. And surprise IT WORKS!!!

I knew the hairdryer would work, since it basically is supposed to do the same job as a heatgun, but much slower and less efficient. But simply heating it without removing all other components is moronic, to say the least.
The cables and connections can melt, non-dissipating heat will just shorten the life of the various components and that small battery on the motherboard could end up exploding. Also not to mention that the plastic WILL melt, especially the one covering the fan exhaust.
The physics behind this is: you're recreating a gaming session which led you to this situation in the first place. Because the processors will run at about the same temperature as your hairdryer will reach.

The first thing you want to do, if you get your fixed PS3 running is sync your trophies, back up the save games (which are possible) of the games you're currently playing. And then deactivate all PSN accounts on that console, because you can only share up to 5 accounts.
If it's still running, then shut it down. Wait for your new PS3, and then using an ethernet cable (SOLD SEPARATELY :P for most) transfer all your stuff to the newer model then drive up to your closest Sony center and beat the living crap out of all the workers there for working for a company which built it's high-end product to surely break.

Now I've written a huge post on this (the above is just the sample concerning OP's main request) but because I used explicit language, I think it's best to simply link to the source, if anyone does want to read my full story :-(
http://www.eojmarket.com/index.php?topic=1957.msg13253

Good luck OP!

Hi I have an 80 GB CECHE01 (MGS4 bundle) model, I've had it for about 5 years running with no problems
I got the very same system mines only about to be 4 years old and i just replaced my thermal paste barely a week ago only problem ive had was a blu ray go out a year ago . i think i made it just in time to because it was locking up continuously Just during internet applications though but seems to be running a bit better now , hoping she runs smoothly another year . sorry to here about your CECHE i think there the best fats out there.

Last edited:
Yeah, It was working perfectly then all of a sudden the fans get louder and it shuts down on its own a couple of times. I left it off and tried it again later that night (+6hrs or so), it worked perfectly for sometime then all of a sudden it shuts down and won't start (YLOD).

I'm taking it tomorrow to an independent repair shop that specializes in ps3/xbox360. He assured me my data won't be erased. Frankly the only save file I care about is GT5, the rest i can re-play again but I've spent way too much time on GT5 to start it again. I'm not bragging but I'm...

92% complete
own 250+ cars
All license Gold
Almost all Special events Gold
36 A Spec
35 B Spec

I will not do this all over again if i lose any data, I'll just move on to other games

Latest Posts

Back