You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments
So I saw this peculiar thing at a motor show at the weekend:
full

Ken Block Edition Ford Transit. The inside is bathed in suede and has the #43 skull and crossbones logo stitched into the seats.

-> ...
full

Ken Block Edition Ford Transit. The inside is bathed in suede and has the #43 skull and crossbones logo stitched into the seats.
^ Ugh, I despise Ken Block and his overrated antics. :indiff:

-> This van is basically based on the Transit Custom van:

Sport model:
5809789.jpg

-> And that stupid Ken Block edition is basically a tweaked M-Sport model without his mug name:

M-Sport model:
a-wrc-flavored-ford-transit-van-looks-as-mental-as-you-think-it-does-photo-gallery_7.jpg

:)

full

I actually want it... I think it looks cool, especially for a Transit.

Doing some more reading on the Kelly Python

http://jalopnik.com/5914598/for-14300-feel-the-pythons-grip

lead me to discover another car for the first time, also based on the Fox Mustang platform. ASC McLaren:

85asc.jpg

mainpic.jpg

It was based on the Fox Mustang platform in the sense that it was just a Mercury Capri with ground effects, yes. It was in no way a "short-run Fox rebody" like that guy in the Jalopnik comments said made it comparable to the Python. Even the convertibles were just Capris (and later, Mustangs) with the roof hacked off and the rear seats taken out for substantially more money than the one Ford built themselves.

Last edited:
In honor of the Olympics going on right now, I thought I may as well as share a long forgotten "Olympics Edition" automobile.

Enter the 1984 "Olympic Special Edition Camaro":
2016-08-11-23-11-33--543403889.jpg

images-11.jpg

Only 3,722 of these were made, and the special package was oddly only available for Sport Coupes. They received unique stripes and insignias on the side as well as the Olympic rings with "USA" stitched into the seats.

Myself and @Famine had a sit in that one not so long ago. Obviously not at the same time because there's barely room for just the one person. Hilarious wheel/pedal offset. It's currently undergoing a light restoration.
We did indeed - a 7/8ths replica fibreglass Tranny shell on a Ford C100 prototype :lol:

The Moskvich Duet and Duet 2, the Duet 2 being the less gaudy budget variant
duetf.jpg

IMG_9967.jpg

Along with the Duet, there also apparently exists/existed a 4-door variant known as "Ivan Kalita" because 14th century Russian Prince apparently.
kalitaf.jpg

I find all three of them oddly appealing.

BMW "3200" by Autenrieth.

A four door convertible based on a 502, with a 503 nose.

I wouldn't normally bother posting coachbuilt stuff in this thread as pretty much the entire industry goes unknown to the masses, but I really like this one... cropped up at Pebble Beach this year.

14100428_1125540800833580_210651593690429901_n.jpg

tumblr_nvfuk1wsKz1tkr1ddo1_540.jpg

I always quite liked the first Toledo. In those pics, I've just noticed a vague Lancia Dedra vibe.

The Toledo certainly sounds (and looks) interesting. Is that BRM related to the racing team that was once a F1 mainstay, or a whole different BRM altogether?

In the meantime, here's anothing thing from Japan that I had never heard of until today. Except this one looks more USDM than JDM;

ext02_1024.jpg

toyota-mega-cruiser-07.jpg

The Toyota MEGA CRUISER (it's not actually written in all caps, but that name sounds like something you have to shout in a really deep voice :lol:). Japan still uses a few of these as military vehicles, but it was far from a success in civilian guise. At least it gave future Land Cruisers something to work with because of the technologies it employed...

And do you think if Arnold had one of these to get to da choppah, would he be able to tell the difference? :sly::lol:

The Toledo certainly sounds (and looks) interesting. Is that BRM related to the racing team that was once a F1 mainstay, or a whole different BRM altogether?

In the meantime, here's anothing thing from Japan that I had never heard of until today. Except this one looks more USDM than JDM;

ext02_1024.jpg

toyota-mega-cruiser-07.jpg

The Toyota MEGA CRUISER (it's not actually written in all caps, but that name sounds like something you have to shout in a really deep voice :lol:). Japan still uses a few of these as military vehicles, but it was far from a success in civilian guise. At least it gave future Land Cruisers something to work with because of the technologies it employed...

And do you think if Arnold had one of these to get to da choppah, would he be able to tell the difference? :sly::lol:
That just looks like they smashed an H1 into a different shape and slapped a Toyota badge on it. :lol:

That just looks like they smashed an H1 into a different shape and slapped a Toyota badge on it. :lol:

Just like that Peugeot 206 ad that everyone remembers, right? :sly: :lol:

It's an environmentally-friendly smashed H1 too, because it features a diesel inline-4 engine that would only be used in small buses alongside the Mega. Believe it or not, said engine only made 153 hp... Many years before good ol'Arnold wanted to save the trees in lieu of blowing them up! :lol:

Environmentally friendly is a relative thing, because it is a humongous 4 cylinder and the Mega Cruiser is no lightweight itself (though it is lighter than the H1 despite being much larger).

Back