You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rue
  • 6,325 comments
  • 1,292,088 views
-> I adore the Mega Cruiser! 4WS FTW!!!
 
Environmentally friendly is a relative thing, because it is a humongous 4 cylinder and the Mega Cruiser is no lightweight itself (though it is lighter than the H1 despite being much larger).

Well I did say that in a somewhat jesting manner (hence the :lol: emoticon at the end), because I doubt Toyota's own Diesel is much better than the contemporary VW engines in terms of emissions... What does surprise me is that Toyota could trust such an engine with hauling a Hummer rip-off. Then again, the Mega is lighter than the H1, somehow...
 
It's got 382Nm of torque delivered at only 1800rpm. Enough to shift it's sub 3 tonnes. Although hardly a fireball.
 
Autech March Bolero A30:

autech_nissan_march_bolero_a30_6.jpeg

Saw it on a video on Youtube. First time I've seen such a thing. Proper old-school Japanese tuner car - 1.6 litre petrol engine from the standard car is balanced, given new cams, polished head, stronger conrods, stronger valve springs etc. Makes around 150bhp. Wider bodywork, wider Enkei wheels, new suspension, bigger brakes, new exhaust, body strengthening, set of Recaro seats. Didn't think such things existed any longer - I'd assumed these days it was just a quick ECU remap for a turbocharged engine and a new set of wheels when it came to tuner specials.
 
Autech March Bolero A30:

autech_nissan_march_bolero_a30_6.jpeg

Saw it on a video on Youtube. First time I've seen such a thing. Proper old-school Japanese tuner car - 1.6 litre petrol engine from the standard car is balanced, given new cams, polished head, stronger conrods, stronger valve springs etc. Makes around 150bhp. Wider bodywork, wider Enkei wheels, new suspension, bigger brakes, new exhaust, body strengthening, set of Recaro seats. Didn't think such things existed any longer - I'd assumed these days it was just a quick ECU remap for a turbocharged engine and a new set of wheels when it came to tuner specials.

That'd be a Renault-sourced engine in that thing wouldn't it? Might be fun fitting some of those engine mods to the previous-gen RenaultSport Twingo..
 
A quick look on web says it's a Nissan engine and the Twingo engine was a Renault engine with an RS designation.
 
Mercedes Renntransporter.
images


I can't recall ever seeing one. Not even in historic car videos.

It was a custom made one-off for the race team. Powered by a Merc 300SL engine. I think the one that exists now is a recreation of the original 👍
 
Mercedes Renntransporter.
images


I can't recall ever seeing one. Not even in historic car videos.
Geez, I've known about this thing for ages...
 
Didn't learn about a car in particular, but a specific part of it.

18dttipfreeadjpg.jpg


Okay, the R390 is understandable since it's the same manufacturer as the Fairlady. But the post-Audi Diablo? Is it a coincidence, or is it actually the same headlight?
 
Didn't learn about a car in particular, but a specific part of it.

18dttipfreeadjpg.jpg


Okay, the R390 is understandable since it's the same manufacturer as the Fairlady. But the post-Audi Diablo? Is it a coincidence, or is it actually the same headlight?
they borrowed it with license
 
Didn't learn about a car in particular, but a specific part of it.

18dttipfreeadjpg.jpg


Okay, the R390 is understandable since it's the same manufacturer as the Fairlady. But the post-Audi Diablo? Is it a coincidence, or is it actually the same headlight?

Same part. It's common for Diablo owners to actually replace the part with a genuine Nissan one if the original fails, because it's far cheaper.
 
I've heard of it and seen it many times but I've never investigated much into it.

It's the Volvo 480 produced from 1986 to 1995, and there was a turbo version (that boosted output from 108 HP to a whopping 118 HP)! It reminds me a lot of the C30, which apparently was the spiritual successor.

Apparently, it was designed for the US market but was never actually sold here, hence the 5 MPH bumpers. It was also the only Volvo with pop up headlights. Cool facts, indeed.

volvo-480-2.jpg



95328b566a90fb4ff6db36eebbfb3e8e.jpg


I find the side profile quite odd, but yet alluring in a way.

volvo_480_1987_1301-b.jpg


I love the way Volvo did the taillights on this as well.
 
Last edited:
it was designed for the US market

Initially, but never sold in the USA, because they weren't the greatest cars in term of quality, and other less interesting reasons.
 
I've heard of it and seen it many times but I've never investigated much into it.

It's the Volvo 480 produced from 1986 to 1995, and there was a turbo version (that boosted output from 108 HP to a whopping 118 HP)! It reminds me a lot of the C30, which apparently was the spiritual successor.

Apparently, it was designed for the US market but was never actually sold here, hence the 5 MPH bumpers. It was also the only Volvo with pop up headlights. Cool facts, indeed.

volvo-480-2.jpg



95328b566a90fb4ff6db36eebbfb3e8e.jpg


I find the side profile quite odd, but yet alluring in a way.

volvo_480_1987_1301-b.jpg


I love the way Volvo did the taillights on this as well.
I've actually seen one myself:
IMG_3441.JPG
 
I've loved them ever since a neighbour had one in about 1988.

Best of all, the Matchbox version with the laser disc wheels was hiding amongst the box of Lego I pulled down from my parent's loft a couple of years ago. I also have the black Minichamps, which is seriously tasty.
 
SVX
Same part. It's common for Diablo owners to actually replace the part with a genuine Nissan one if the original fails, because it's far cheaper.

Same as the Lotus Esprit with square lights and the Toyota AE86. Toyota and Lotus have worked together for a long time so it makes sense.
yJuz13O.png


EDIT: And another one which is on my favorite car. The McLaren F1 shares it's door mirrors with the VW Corrado. And to make this even more relevant, I didn't know the VW Corrado even existed before I found out about this fact.
18nclqlqprezvjpg.jpg
 
Last edited:
The Volvo 480 is one of my dream cars.

Just saying.
 
Back