You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments
Saw a picture of this car on Instagram today:
xU95h0C.jpg

The De Tomaso Guara. Only 40 were made, but boy is it hideous.

I'm pretty sure it's just a fictional vehicle and there's no way of telling.

Where did you see it, real life or movie/show?if in movie/show what is the name of it?

It's real life, it was on a cookery program on BBC1 presented by Mary Berry, so it's unlikely to be fake. It was filmed at Goodwood House so considering what Lord March is like, it's going to be something odd. It's left-hand drive, and looks faintly BMW or Messerschmitt-like.

Well, it's tough for me to admit it but there is a Ferrari that I just recently discovered.
Combining the 250GTO and the 275 GTB/4 this gets waaay too close to being prohibited below the age of 18.

May I present to you the 275 GTB Competizione:
1965_Ferrari_275GTBCSpeciale-0-1024.jpg

xMAM6561_650145.jpg

Only 3 were built, all retaining some uniqueness:
1093503-1024.jpg

909976.jpg

380581.jpg

Yea I'd probably even say the S2 was quite handsome, if perhaps a bit more brutish. Though I'll admit I'd take an S1 over an S2 (and a Pantera over both :P).

Last edited:
Did you guys know that De Tomaso "relaunched"* in 2009?
Yeah. :rolleyes:

To be clear, I rolled my eyes because it happened, not because the question was asked.

Olay, so maybe also because the question was asked, but only because it reminded me that it happened. :rolleyes:

:lol:

Why the rolleyes?
The term I like to use is "retro moneygrab." The chronic condition of either existing major manufacturers or entrepreneurs using nostalgia to open the tap on profits. New Beetle, New Mini, New Charger/Challenger, the leap from logical styling evolution of Mustangs and Camaros to the retro appearance they possess currently, etc etc etc. Most recently (God I hope so anyway, though I wouldn't be surprised if I missed a more recent debut) is Borgward's return. The whole thing makes me sick.

Edit: I can't believe I left out the Fiat 500 when it irritates me more than most. It's bad enough that it has that cloyingly cute styling, but the name. The original was named as such because of its 500cc engine (apart from uprated models that used the same chassis and sheetmetal but a larger capacity engine, and even those examples got a suffix to denote the change). Then you've got other "500" models that utilize architecture from even larger vehicles.

Last edited:
Just read about the ARES "Project Panther", looks really quite nice to be fair. Takes enough cues from the Pantera without being too retro, like many of the other money-grabbing exercises manufacturers like to invest in these days, a la your MINI's, Fiat 500's etc, etc. Like the idea of it having the Huracan's V10 (you could consider it a "re-bodied" Huracan since it's planned to adopt it's chassis too...), will be interest too see how the project develops.

However, nice and all it is, it's ultimately no De Tomaso, just potentially a nice tribute/modern redux of an icon from De Tomaso's past.

Came across this one by accident whilst looking for a way to respond in another thread: the Porsche Type 915.

94e137857ef8a54dd77a04c7ccb4c2a5.jpg

The idea of a family friendly 4-seater had been doing the rounds before Porsche launched the 911 back in 1963. The dark green 1961 Type 754 T7 you can see right behind the 915, was the end result of that train of thought before its focus ultimately shifted, becoming the quintessential German sports car we know today.

Still, it didn't stop Ferdinand A. Porsche in exploring the idea further.

5 years after the 911 went mainstream, he enlisted the services of Pininfarina to create a stretched version of the then-new 911S to accommodate four people. What they came up with became known within Porsche as the 911/B17.

9b8ae2aa32c3094b100945e2450c5465--lebanon-turin.jpg

Not overly impressed, Porsche had a go themselves and by 1970, the Type 915 was the fruit of their labour (known internally as 911/C20). It was 1.5cm longer than the B17 (which already had a wheelbase of 2.6 metres), had increased rear legroom, better weight distribution, and retained the classic 911 silhouette, albeit at the expense of headroom.

But the idea of a 4-seater Porsche was ultimately shelved later in 1970, but not before the car made one final appearance in public in 1972, having gained an external oil filler flap and a front bumper-mounted oil cooler (like the 1973 Carrera RS), before going into storage. And with Ernst Fuhrmann taking over the helm at Porsche the same year, there was no longer any internal desire for such a model as the R&D budget was turned towards the 924 project.

Little ironic in some way seeing as we've had a 4-seater Porsche in the line-up for the last 8 years now.

Came across this one by accident whilst looking for a way to respond in another thread: the Porsche Type 915.

94e137857ef8a54dd77a04c7ccb4c2a5.jpg

The idea of a family friendly 4-seater had been doing the rounds before Porsche launched the 911 back in 1963. The dark green 1961 Type 754 T7 you can see right behind the 915, was the end result of that train of thought before its focus ultimately shifted, becoming the quintessential German sports car we know today.

Still, it didn't stop Ferdinand A. Porsche in exploring the idea further.

5 years after the 911 went mainstream, he enlisted the services of Pininfarina to create a stretched version of the then-new 911S to accommodate four people. What they came up with became known within Porsche as the 911/B17.

9b8ae2aa32c3094b100945e2450c5465--lebanon-turin.jpg

Not overly impressed, Porsche had a go themselves and by 1970, the Type 915 was the fruit of their labour (known internally as 911/C20). It was 1.5cm longer than the B17 (which already had a wheelbase of 2.6 metres), had increased rear legroom, better weight distribution, and retained the classic 911 silhouette, albeit at the expense of headroom.

But the idea of a 4-seater Porsche was ultimately shelved later in 1970, but not before the car made one final appearance in public in 1972, having gained an external oil filler flap and a front bumper-mounted oil cooler (like the 1973 Carrera RS), before going into storage. And with Ernst Fuhrmann taking over the helm at Porsche the same year, there was no longer any internal desire for such a model as the R&D budget was turned towards the 924 project.

Little ironic in some way seeing as we've had a 4-seater Porsche in the line-up for the last 8 years now.
I seem to recall a stretched 901 being explored as a platform for a midengine 911 as well, long before the 914.

The only other stretch 911 that I've come across was a one-off custom: the Troutman-Barnes 911.

fe75f5b037c66e13999ee8f32bc5c611.JPG
Yeah, it's unsubstantiated at present. Any physical mention I have of it would be in storage and there's no guarantee anything I have in storage actually mentions it. :lol:

Back