You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments
1991 Iso Grifo

I already knew about the 1960s ISO Grifo, but I had no idea it had been rebirthed in the 1990s. The car was designed Marcello Gandini, and used a mixture of Dallara and C4 Corvette parts. Supposedly only two were made.

1968-1972 Lombardi 850 GP

1971_OTAS_Grand_Prix_820cc_fL.jpg

1971_OTAS_Grand_Prix_820cc_rL.jpg

Visually, this Italian sports car looks like a Ferrari Daytona and a Saab Sonnett III meshed together, which isn't a a bad thing at all. It was rear engine rear-wheel drive and used Fiat 850 underpinnings. Powered by an 817cc I4 making 37 horsepower; it weighed 630 kg and had a top speed of 99 mph. Abarth tuned a version of this car called the Scorpione SS, which made 72 horsepower and reached 115 mph. Exactly 1,000 were made, and some were even imported to the USA.​

Have you ever wondered what it'd be like to take a Brazil, an Alfa Romeo, and an old Mustang and combine them into one?

...What do you mean "no"?
Well, regardless, the FNM Onca answers that question for whoever wanted to know. With all of its 113-129 horsepower
1507762972137536766.jpg

1507762993150374481.jpg

150776299618295554.jpg

An engine swap should be mandatory for anyone who manages to own one

1968-1972 Lombardi 850 GP

1971_OTAS_Grand_Prix_820cc_fL.jpg

1971_OTAS_Grand_Prix_820cc_rL.jpg

Visually, this Italian sports car looks like a Ferrari Daytona and a Saab Sonnett III meshed together, which isn't a a bad thing at all. It was rear engine rear-wheel drive and used Fiat 850 underpinnings. Powered by an 817cc I4 making 37 horsepower; it weighed 630 kg and had a top speed of 99 mph. Abarth tuned a version of this car called the Scorpione SS, which made 72 horsepower and reached 115 mph. Exactly 1,000 were made, and some were even imported to the USA.​
I remember reading a book back in grade school that, if I remember correctly, the main character drove a race modified Lombardi. IIRC, the car outran Ferraris in a private test session meant to evaluate the main character's ability before they signed him to a deal. All this time, I thought it was just a name to replace Lamborghini.

I know Citroen had been around forever, so forgive my naivety, but I didn't know about this until I watched the music video for "Politics of Dancing" by Re-Flex.

csm_traction_11B_1953-01_1663164311.jpg

The Citroen 11CV. Front drive be damned, it's a looker and it has suicide doors. I want one now.

I see one of these sometimes on the way to work, a Lexus IS convertible. Proportions are strange.

th

Saw a Vauxhall Omega 6 door today. My thought process: "that car looks a bit... long. Oh." This guy was using it as what looked like his daily! I can't find a picture of a 6 door one and it was definitely this generation... so a 4 door will have to do.

th

I remember reading a book back in grade school that, if I remember correctly, the main character drove a race modified Lombardi. IIRC, the car outran Ferraris in a private test session meant to evaluate the main character's ability before they signed him to a deal. All this time, I thought it was just a name to replace Lamborghini.

I know Citroen had been around forever, so forgive my naivety, but I didn't know about this until I watched the music video for "Politics of Dancing" by Re-Flex.

csm_traction_11B_1953-01_1663164311.jpg

The Citroen 11CV. Front drive be damned, it's a looker and it has suicide doors. I want one now.

You don't know the Traction Avant?

CompleteAstonishingGallowaycow-small.gif

Never seen a 911 in this color or stripe package.
0FA40071-2767-42C4-8DC4-848A70FCDF2A.jpeg
516854B8-BAAB-4191-B32A-2E7C8CFEA9BD.jpeg
Has a turbo for the badge not sure if it’s a real euro car. It was at Car Week / the quail show. Is it a limited edition?

Never seen a 911 in this color or stripe package.View attachment 699813View attachment 699815 Has a turbo for the badge not sure if it’s a real euro car. It was at Car Week / the quail show. Is it a limited edition?
Not sure how exclusive it is, but I know it's an established treatment. When I've seen it elsewhere, though, it's been accompanied by the dual hockey stripes on the beltline instead of the PORSCHE script on the sills.

Edit: Interestingly, I can't seem to find the aforementioned combination, however here's another example of the decals inquired about:

safety-stripes.jpg

I should also note that I've only ever seen them (in person, anyway) on long nose cars...nothing with big bumpers.

Last edited:
How have you not heard of this car?
What is so special about that? I never heard of it and that is it.

Found this one a few days ago. It is mentioned by @CLowndes888, I never heard of the Lamborghini Jarama before either untill I found this on youtube (a few days ago)

:mischievous:

There have been many cars in this thread that I know and others don't. Did I comment on those posts? No I didn't.

BTW, I don't feel or am insulted. I just find it strange that a few of you question the fact that I don't know certain cars.

Last edited:
Not sure how exclusive it is, but I know it's an established treatment. When I've seen it elsewhere, though, it's been accompanied by the dual hockey stripes on the beltline instead of the PORSCHE script on the sills.

Edit: Interestingly, I can't seem to find the aforementioned combination, however here's another example of the decals inquired about:

safety-stripes.jpg

I should also note that I've only ever seen them (in person, anyway) on long nose cars...nothing with big bumpers.
Think I saw a 911 with that stripe too
04ED0C6C-2FA7-4C86-A9D8-8473EA27732D.jpeg

Was definitely not the turbo I posted above.

Back