You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments
Chevy turbo sprint, owner said it has 77hp and weighs about 1,600 lbs, saw one in Detroit today it was the first one I’ve seen
FAE56B76-8DB7-4785-88B6-7CBDB68536CE.jpeg
D28E9E8A-2F71-40AB-8977-154F1D75CF53.jpeg

*Qvale Mangusta, a rebadged DeTomaso Bigua.
Bit of a misnomer, as it was never produced as either a De Tomaso or with the name Biguà. A De Tomaso Biguà prototype was indeed shown at Geneva in 1996, but due to financial constraints not aided by Alejandro having just had a stroke, the production behinning at the end of the last century was handled by Qvale Modena SpA, hence the Qvale moniker.

But the quad exhausts though. And it had a side badge too.
You realize that someone can do exhaust modifications to a car right? People do quad exhaust modifications all of the time, there's a youtube I follow that installed roush exhausts to his Ford Mustang GT CS for instance. Badge jobs can still be done and some people often do more than just a rear badge.

EDIT: Someone with more knowledge than me can make corrections, but what you saw looks like an older version of this. It's an Escalade with a SLP kit equipped to it and it seems to sometimes include a "V" badge. Not an official V model made by Cadillac.
https://aspireautosports.com/cadillac-escalade/

Last edited:
Intermeccanica Indra
1972-Intermeccanica-Indra.jpg

Little Italian sports car with an American V8. Only 125 were built.
Yeah, Intermeccanica was pretty prolific and is worth looking into in general. They're probably best known for their Italia sports car, which appeared in the original Gone In 60 Seconds, as well as having crafted bodies for the Vetta Ventura and Apollo 3500 GT which formed the basis for the Thorndyke Special in The Love Bug.

My personal favorite is the Intermeccanica-Titania Veltro prototype:

1966%252520Titania%252520Veltro%2525201500%252520Coupe_04.jpg

This would have been the coolest (and craziest) Daihatsu Charade if it was ever realized. Called Charade DeTomaso 926R it was proposed to enter Group B rally along with plan for homologated road version but it never happened. Instead, Daihatsu made an alternative decision to sold a mildly tuned Charade DeTomaso for Japanese market only :

detomaso-charade-926r.jpg

daihatsu-charade-de-tomaso-926r.jpg

daihatsu-charade-de-tomaso-926r-1.jpg

The engine :

926RE.jpg

https://rallygroupbshrine.org/the-group-b-cars/group-b-prototypes/daihatsu-detomaso-charade-926r/
The fourth-gen Charade featured a more toned-down Detomaso package, and frankly it's one of the most underrepresented hot hatches ever made. Although it only has 123hp, it drove like it had much more due to it's low weight of 900kg. 0-60 was in the high 7's. This was the predecessor to the Storia X4 and gave cars like the Toyota Starlet Glanza V and Peugeot 106 GTi runs for their money.

I've seen a few of those, they're ok. I've thought about picking one up as they are not a lot of money, but they're usually a bit rough.

The fourth-gen Charade featured a more toned-down Detomaso package, and frankly it's one of the most underrepresented hot hatches ever made. Although it only has 123hp, it drove like it had much more due to it's low weight of 900kg. 0-60 was in the high 7's. This was the predecessor to the Storia X4 and gave cars like the Toyota Starlet Glanza V and Peugeot 106 GTi runs for their money.

Agreed that this variant of Charade is rather underrarted but as you said it was good little car. But, it would be different if Daihatsu gave a green light for the 926R might lift up their brand status that time. However it was built near the demise of Group B sadly while also the production cost was deemed too expensive I think. Still, good alternative based on original concept I think.

Last edited:

1966 Porsche 911 Cabriolet. A one-off by Bertone.

Ordered to be build by John von Neumann, who was selling a lot of open top 356's in Southern California and as Porsche only had the 911/2 Targa at the time, and no real plans, or didn't want to disclose the information about a convertible being in the works, this came to life.

1966 Porsche 911 Cabriolet. A one-off by Bertone.

Ordered to be build by John von Neumann, who was selling a lot of open top 356's in Southern California and as Porsche only had the 911/2 Targa at the time, and no real plans, or didn't want to disclose the information about a convertible being in the works, this came to life.
What do you need with Jalopnik when GTP has a news section, traitor?

:P

As much as I love the "typical" Porsches, I find those obscure models that look nothing like what we commonly associate with Porsche absolutely fascinating. Beutler, Waibel, Glöckler, the 914 by Heuliez...love 'em.

I stopped reading Jalopnik quite some time ago. It made me feel like I was reading a Youtube piece, with the garbage comments added as a bonus.
I get that completely. The only time I end up there is if I'm looking for something or I'm referred there. Someone messaged me with the link and asked if I'd heard of it.

Back