You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments
Rue
Yes, I found out it was IAD that worked on the design. They were also responsible for the quite eye-catching IAD Venus and Alien, two cars that just blew my mind when I was 10 year old.

Venus
1.jpg

89iad_venus_22.jpg

Alien (Pictures of this are well hard to come by)
iad_alien-86.jpg
The IAD Alien has been one of my favorite concept cars for almost 20 years.

Maybe spotted a unicorn yesterday View attachment 923089Anyway to tell if this is a real project 7 besides the hump?
Regular F-types don’t have that hump by the spoiler this is a project 7 but has a dot which mine doesn’t have.
View attachment 923111
Mine was the same green though.
Real deal. AFAIK, there isn't a conversion kit out there that would allow one to fake a Project 7 & I doubt it'd be a cheap, worth-doing task. As far as the livery, all that comes off if one really wants.
jaguar-f-type-project-7-S4233273-1.jpg

Real deal. AFAIK, there isn't a conversion kit out there that would allow one to fake a Project 7 & I doubt it'd be a cheap, worth-doing task. As far as the livery, all that comes off if one really wants.
jaguar-f-type-project-7-S4233273-1.jpg
It didn’t have the dot but did have a white stripe across the hood when I missed it the first time.

I was chatting with a buddy of mine tonight and for some reason, we got on the topic of Brazilian cars. He sent me this...thing.

Screen-Shot-2018-05-17-at-10.24.08-AM.png

It's a Ford F-1000 Turbo Diesel. Apparently they were based off an F-250 and came in about every flavor you could imagine.

Like this weird love child between a truck and a van:
ETh4pYN.jpg

Funny you folks should bring up Brazilian Fords, since I just learned about these this morning.

When Ford took over Willys do Brazil in 1967, they simply rebadged everything and kept right on. The Willys Station Wagon got a new front end and was rebadged as the Ford F-75, sold in various body styles.

Another car they inherited was a joint effort between Willys and Renault. In France it would become the Renault 12, but Ford would call it the Corcel. The first generation would run from 1968 to 1977, and the second generation, the Corcel II, would run from 1977 to 1986. FWD Renault 12 under the skin the whole time. And dig the GT.

1972 Corcel

1973 Corcel

1975 Corcel

1973 Corcel GT

Corcel II

1981 Heyer-Mercedes SLC 500 Prototype. Built by Hans Heyer 1981, powered by a heavily modified M119 5.0L V8, producing 580-600 hp, quite a lot considering the car only weighed around 850kg. Hans Heyer even started working on twin-turbocharging the already powerful engine, promising 800hp. Originally it was going to enter Le Mans in 1982, not to finish the race, but to crank the boost up, and blast all the big budget teams in the face by taking the lead at T1, and pulling away as far as possible from the second fastest car in the field. However, this insane publicity stunt would never take place since Mercedes didn’t approve of it, especially ever since the 1955 Le Mans Disaster, Mercedes had withdrawn from the famous race, and didn't want anything that had its name on it to enter it. This car has been in Hans Heyer’s private collection since.

upload_2020-5-30_13-19-12.png

upload_2020-5-30_13-19-17.png

upload_2020-5-30_13-19-23.png

upload_2020-5-30_13-19-29.png

upload_2020-5-30_13-19-34.png

not to finish the race, but to crank the boost up, and blast all the big budget teams in the face by taking the lead at T1, and pulling away as far as possible from the second fastest car in the field.

Should have used a time machine to bring back a bugeye slushbox Impreza 2.5 RS wagon with a custom hybrid drivetrain. Would have gotten a top 5 finish for sure.

With aerodynamics as poorly thought out as that, I can't imagine it would have crashed anywhere near as spectacularly as when Mercedes themselves approved their own Le Mans return.

I keep going down the rabbit hole regarding Brazilian cars (it's become sort of a nightly conversation with a buddy of mine). Tonight, I discovered the Tropivan, which appears to be some sort of creation by a company called Tropical Cabines. The Ford Ranger they made is especially weird since it's a mashup of a Ranger and a Ford Edge:

CrNlAFF.jpg

EI64ajt.jpg

The Dodge Ram is also strange, but it looks so cool and I want one.

qGfgOY3.jpg

1997 Koenigsegg CC, the very first Koenigsegg. Sadly I can't find any specs for it.

CCatCannes1997.jpg

1963 Aguzzoli Condor. Two mid-engined prototypes were built for Louis Bertocco, former Ferrari test driver, and Giovanni and Sergio Aguzzoli, who ran an Alfa Romeo dealership in Parma, by former Maserati engineers Giorgio Neri and Luciano Bonacini. The cars were raced with some success in 1963-64 but the project went no further.

tumblr_nzp31sXKPy1ti77kbo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nzp31sXKPy1ti77kbo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nzp31sXKPy1ti77kbo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nzp31sXKPy1ti77kbo4_1280.jpg

1968 Nembo Studio GT Due Litri. Two mid-engine, rear-wheel drive prototypes were made by former Maserati engineers Neri & Bonacini; the design was inspired by the Lamborghini Miura, and it was powered by a 1.8L I4 from the Lancia Flavia.

1968_Neri_%26_Bonacini_Studio_GT_Due_Litri_left_front.jpg

1968_Neri_%26_Bonacini_Studio_GT_Due_Litri_rear.jpg

1997 Koenigsegg CC, the very first Koenigsegg. Sadly I can't find any specs for it.

CCatCannes1997.jpg

1963 Aguzzoli Condor. Two mid-engined prototypes were built for Louis Bertocco, former Ferrari test driver, and Giovanni and Sergio Aguzzoli, who ran an Alfa Romeo dealership in Parma, by former Maserati engineers Giorgio Neri and Luciano Bonacini. The cars were raced with some success in 1963-64 but the project went no further.

tumblr_nzp31sXKPy1ti77kbo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nzp31sXKPy1ti77kbo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nzp31sXKPy1ti77kbo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nzp31sXKPy1ti77kbo4_1280.jpg

1968 Nembo Studio GT Due Litri. Two mid-engine, rear-wheel drive prototypes were made by former Maserati engineers Neri & Bonacini; the design was inspired by the Lamborghini Miura, and it was powered by a 1.8L I4 from the Lancia Flavia.

1968_Neri_%26_Bonacini_Studio_GT_Due_Litri_left_front.jpg

1968_Neri_%26_Bonacini_Studio_GT_Due_Litri_rear.jpg
Wow. I didn't know about any of them. I especially like the two Neri and Bonacini creations. They're both quite beautiful. I'd love to know which carrozzerias handled the bodywork. There is one error I see, though. If the engine of the Nembo Studio GT Due Litri came from the Lancia Flavia, then it would be a flat-four, not an inline-four.

1981 Heyer-Mercedes SLC 500 Prototype. Built by Hans Heyer 1981, powered by a heavily modified M119 5.0L V8, producing 580-600 hp, quite a lot considering the car only weighed around 850kg. Hans Heyer even started working on twin-turbocharging the already powerful engine, promising 800hp. Originally it was going to enter Le Mans in 1982, not to finish the race, but to crank the boost up, and blast all the big budget teams in the face by taking the lead at T1, and pulling away as far as possible from the second fastest car in the field.

Not sure if he'd ever have managed such a feat. The Porsche 956s that did dominate the 82' race had 630+hp and only weighed 800kgs, probably with better aero too. Even with 800hp you're not going to 'blast' past all those Group C's that would have qualified at the front by T1.

It's a Saab. Saab-Lancia.

Fun fact about that Saab-Lancia 600. The only real change was a better heater and a different intake. The car rusted so badly that the fuel tank would get holes in it and it was very expensive. I think they only made something like 7,000 of them and around 100 of those still exist.

Back