You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments
Mercedes-Benz last year revealed an electric concept car called the Mercedes Simplex Vision as a nod to the original Mercedes Simplex from 1901 which was considered the first modern car.
maxresdefault.jpg
IMG_5852-572621.jpg

19c0713_104.jpg
simplex_054.jpg
Edq21JbXkAE2Qbv.jpg
vision-mercedes-simplex.jpg

Last edited:
Mercedes-Benz last year revealed an electric concept car called the Mercedes Simplex Vision as a nod to the original Mercedes Simplex from 1901 which was considered the first modern car.
maxresdefault.jpg
IMG_5852-572621.jpg

19c0713_104.jpg
simplex_054.jpg
Edq21JbXkAE2Qbv.jpg
vision-mercedes-simplex.jpg
I would happily take that for a spin around town and country.

Having won more road races than any other BMW model in history, the E30 M3 is the world's most successful BMW road race car.BMW claims the car has won more than 1500 races (!) .In total, the car has 41 DTM race wins to its name. The E30 M3 won the 24 Hours Nürburgring 5 times (1989, 1990, 1991, 1992 and 1994) and the Spa 24 Hours 4 times (1987, 1988, 1990 and 1992), other competing against cars with significantly larger or turbocharged engines.

ddwuvxn-87801d25-9f92-4d8d-b469-558b920fd705.jpg

Having won more road races than any other BMW model in history, the E30 M3 is the world's most successful BMW road race car.BMW claims the car has won more than 1500 races (!) .In total, the car has 41 DTM race wins to its name. The E30 M3 won the 24 Hours Nürburgring 5 times (1989, 1990, 1991, 1992 and 1994) and the Spa 24 Hours 4 times (1987, 1988, 1990 and 1992), other competing against cars with significantly larger or turbocharged engines.

ddwuvxn-87801d25-9f92-4d8d-b469-558b920fd705.jpg

I'm a big E30 fan but would you please explain how does it fit into this topic that is titled "You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!" Just out of curiosity :)

I'm a big E30 fan but would you please explain how does it fit into this topic that is titled "You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!" Just out of curiosity :)
Maybe they were in the wrong tab and meant to post it in the interesting stats thread in the motorsport forum? Made that sort of error before.

Could be that they made the discovery that it's the winningest BMW model. Probably still belongs in the Motorsports sub but then there are lots of "I didn't know this well-known car model went racing in whatever series" posts in this thread.

Last edited:
The latest car I learned about was...another Ford Falcon. This time, the Argentinan spec one.
1024px-Ford_Falcon_Sprint.jpg

EDIT: I posted this in a rush because I had work. So, I didn't have time to initially explain this car. Now I do of course.

So yeah, Ford sold the Falcon in Argentina. However instead of replacing it with a new generation or with another model; Ford or Argentina kept producing the same model with refreshes. Kinda like with some Soviet cars now that I think of it.

The car seems to be about the same kind of Falcon sold here in the US, but with different engine options.

My thoughts: This is so weird, I never thought the 60s Falcon would live on this long elsewhere. Also, part of me wants to import one of the 80s Falcons and swap the engine out with a v8.

Last edited:
There was a number of Glas models produced whilst under BMW, the 3000 V8 didn't get a new face, but the 1600GT did, and some of the 1800's did too...

1800SA... a bit like an E3 that shrunk in the wash...

The-BMW-1804-SA-2004-SA-3.jpg

As for the Isetta, it was an Iso built under license, so wasn't really a BMW design either. The longer 600 I think was an original design though.

But, it's the the 700 that people should remember...

IMG_8886c.JPG

.. no kidney grille, no hoffmeister kink, and it saved BMW from being sold to Daimler.

How many cars have there been that were intended by their creators to bring Formula 1 to civilian streets? A whole lot! But this Caparo T1 is an example of definitely the most radical approach to this issue. The front lights were placed directly in the wheel arches, because only there was space for them. The rear lights are almost imperceptibly integrated into the adjustable spoiler bars. Additional spoilers are mounted low under the front wheel arches and on the sides. Aerodynamic issues are completed by a powerful diffuser.

The body of the Devilish Machine is made of carbon fiber and the chassis is a combination of the same material with aluminum honeycomb elements. The experience of its creators in Formula 1 and BMW's touring racers was also of significance here. Safety is ensured by a controlled crumple zone at the front, a tubular cage at the rear and a fire protection system. Elements of the body, especially the entire exterior, can be set individually, as can the shock absorbers, which have five different settings.

The T1 seats two people in a cramped interior devoid of luxury. The driver must first remove the steering wheel before sitting down in front of it. The passenger fits slightly behind the driver and both are strapped in with high-performance six-point seat belts.

The prototype T1 was powered by the original 2.4-liter V8 engine with a natural output of about 500 hp. However, the powertrain has undergone considerable changes over the past several months, and the vehicle is finally powered by a 3.5-liter forked eight that pulls 583 horsepower without any turbocharging, which is achieved at 10,500 rpm. According to the makers, this unit could pull up to 640 horsepower. The car weighs only 470 kilograms, which for one tonne gives an incredible power of 1240 hp (more than twice the Bugatti Veyron !).

On track, the T1 was unhinged, its 1:10.8sec lap time around Evo’s Bedford test track was 8.6sec quicker than the Gumpert Apollo, which itself set a 7min11.57 Nürburging time.

Already at 240 km/h 875 kilograms of downforce is generated, which effectively prevents the T1 from flying off into the sky and theoretically allows you to drive.... on the ceiling (!)

caparo t1.jpg

caparo-t1-mk682-pic42461.jpg

12242117.jpg

12242121.jpg

12242103.jpg

IMG_2048.jpg

Caparo T1 Power Lap | The Stig | Top Gear - YouTube

How many cars have there been that were intended by their creators to bring Formula 1 to civilian streets? A whole lot! But this Caparo T1 is an example of definitely the most radical approach to this issue. The front lights were placed directly in the wheel arches, because only there was space for them. The rear lights are almost imperceptibly integrated into the adjustable spoiler bars. Additional spoilers are mounted low under the front wheel arches and on the sides. Aerodynamic issues are completed by a powerful diffuser.

The body of the Devilish Machine is made of carbon fiber and the chassis is a combination of the same material with aluminum honeycomb elements. The experience of its creators in Formula 1 and BMW's touring racers was also of significance here. Safety is ensured by a controlled crumple zone at the front, a tubular cage at the rear and a fire protection system. Elements of the body, especially the entire exterior, can be set individually, as can the shock absorbers, which have five different settings.

The T1 seats two people in a cramped interior devoid of luxury. The driver must first remove the steering wheel before sitting down in front of it. The passenger fits slightly behind the driver and both are strapped in with high-performance six-point seat belts.

The prototype T1 was powered by the original 2.4-liter V8 engine with a natural output of about 500 hp. However, the powertrain has undergone considerable changes over the past several months, and the vehicle is finally powered by a 3.5-liter forked eight that pulls 583 horsepower without any turbocharging, which is achieved at 10,500 rpm. According to the makers, this unit could pull up to 640 horsepower. The car weighs only 470 kilograms, which for one tonne gives an incredible power of 1240 hp (more than twice the Bugatti Veyron !).

On track, the T1 was unhinged, its 1:10.8sec lap time around Evo’s Bedford test track was 8.6sec quicker than the Gumpert Apollo, which itself set a 7min11.57 Nürburging time.

Already at 240 km/h 875 kilograms of downforce is generated, which effectively prevents the T1 from flying off into the sky and theoretically allows you to drive.... on the ceiling (!)

View attachment 992146

caparo-t1-mk682-pic42461.jpg

12242117.jpg

12242121.jpg

12242103.jpg

IMG_2048.jpg

Caparo T1 Power Lap | The Stig | Top Gear - YouTube
Sometimes, I see a mad designed car and think to myself "if I'm going to die, I want to do it in spectacularly style driving this"... or is that just me?

The Subaru 360 was not the first Subaru car, as the first was the Subaru 1500, but the Subaru 360 was the first mass-produced Japanese car.
It was the vehicle that motorized Japan (Really) and was available to the average citizen of that country.
The model got its name from the capacity of the engine used in it, 356 cm³ to be exact, which gave 360 in round numbers.
During the design process, the requirements to be met by kei-cars (dimensions and engine capacity) were strictly adhered to in order for the car to qualify for this segment.
Subaru 360 was the only one of the smallest representative of this segment, but it was still bigger than for example Bmw Isetta. It was also the first four-wheel drive car and the 360 was a full-fledged four passenger car.
Production began in 1958 and ended in 1971 with 392,000 units rolled off the assembly line.

This beast was powered by a 356cc 2 stroke engine, which was adapted from a scooter and was placed behind the rear axle. At the front, there was a trunk that housed only the battery and spare wheel. This solution was quite interesting for its time, because most manufacturers used 4 stroke and 4 cylinder engines mounted at the front of the cars.

The tiny heart of this car required a little different treatment due to its design. As with any 2 stroke it was necessary to prepare the right mixture of oil and petrol to make the car safe to use. Until 1967, the driver had to do it by hand, but Subaru coped with this and introduced the "Subarumatic" system that mixed oil and gasoline automatically.
The result was that this model was not one of the most environmentally friendly as the Trabant, Wartburg and other cars with 2-strokes under the hood.♻️

In 1958 when the production started the engine generated about 16HP, and at the end of the production the same engine had the power of 26HP. There was also a version with 2 carburetors, which resulted in a "dizzying" 36hp.
The heart was mated to a 4-speed manual gearbox, which at a weight of less than 500kg gave us a staggering 37s from 0 to 80km/h???? and a top speed of around 97km/h.
Thanks to its light weight and small engine the car was quite fuel efficient with an average fuel consumption of 3.6 litres per 100km.????

At the end I will add that
Subaru 360 is the Japanese equivalent of the Polish Fiat 126p, British Mini Cooper, Italian Fiat 500, German Volkswagen Garbus and French Citroen 2CV. A car for everyone which was not big, comfortable, fast or safe, but everyone was happy with it because it simply was.

Here are some dry technical specifications.
Segment- microcar/kei-car
Engine- 356 cm³ R2
Power - 16-36Km
Gearbox- 4-speed manual
Length- 2990 mm
Width- 1300 mm
Height- 1380 mm
Wheel base - 1800 mm
Weight - 408,2 kg

dcf7c4a902855ef05b5113f96f415fb8.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

fl0114-173185_8@2x.jpg

subaru-360-sedan-brochure-7_med.jpeg

Out of curiosity, have you never played Gran Turismo?

I played only in Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec .

To be honest, I prefer Tokyo Xtreme Racer Drift 2 over GT3 - for a larger selection of tracks and a more interesting location of the tracks and a better representation of different weather conditions (roads on Japanese mountain passes plus you can choose between sunny weather, fog, rain or a big storm , instead of race tracks and city courses in only one weather condition like in GT3 ) and NFS: Porsche 2000 for a more interesting career mode and test mode for a factory driver of the Porsche brand (more interesting than the license tests in GT3) than the career mode in GT3 (it is more playable and more interestingly shows the evolution of Porsche from 1950 to 2000 - in this game you start with models from 1950 (just Porsche 356) and only with the development and "passage of years" in the career mode you gain access to better and better cars from the 60s , 70s , 80s , 90s ending with the year 2000 and the top "newest from 2000" Porsche 911 Turbo (996) )

Need For Speed: Porsche Unleashed - Videos 2/2 - YouTube

NFS Porsche.jpg

Screenshot_1.jpg

Last edited:
I played only in Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec .

To be honest, I prefer Tokyo Xtreme Racer Drift 2 over GT3 - for a larger selection of tracks and a more interesting location of the tracks and a better representation of different weather conditions (roads on Japanese mountain passes plus you can choose between sunny weather, fog, rain or a big storm , instead of race tracks and city courses in only one weather condition like in GT3 ) and NFS: Porsche 2000 for a more interesting career mode and test mode for a factory driver of the Porsche brand (more interesting than the license tests in GT3) than the career mode in GT3 (it is more playable and more interestingly shows the evolution of Porsche from 1950 to 2000 - in this game you start with models from 1950 (just Porsche 356) and only with the development and "passage of years" in the career mode you gain access to better and better cars from the 60s , 70s , 80s , 90s ending with the year 2000 and the top "newest from 2000" Porsche 911 Turbo (996) )

Need For Speed: Porsche Unleashed - Videos 2/2 - YouTube

View attachment 992460

View attachment 992463
That would make sense then. The Subaru 360 is one of those cars that most probably wouldn't know of if they hadn't played GT before. Other than Sport, I think GT3 is the only game in the series to not include the 360.

There was a number of Glas models produced whilst under BMW, the 3000 V8 didn't get a new face, but the 1600GT did, and some of the 1800's did too...

1800SA... a bit like an E3 that shrunk in the wash...

The-BMW-1804-SA-2004-SA-3.jpg

As for the Isetta, it was an Iso built under license, so wasn't really a BMW design either. The longer 600 I think was an original design though.

But, it's the the 700 that people should remember...

View attachment 991758

.. no kidney grille, no hoffmeister kink, and it saved BMW from being sold to Daimler.

Another BMW that didn't feature a kidney grille was the 3/20 built from 1932 until 1934 and replaced the 3/15 which was a rebadged Austin 7. The 3/20 was the first car designed entirely by BMW.
28369.jpg

Last edited:
That would make sense then. The Subaru 360 is one of those cars that most probably wouldn't know of if they hadn't played GT before. Other than Sport, I think GT3 is the only game in the series to not include the 360.

I remember that the only Subaru models in GT3 are VERY TYPICAL : Impreza's and Legacy's.

Latest Posts

Back