You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,186 comments
So that must mean this is an automobile as well.
living-spinal-4.jpg

It's hard to come up with a concise definition of 'automobile' which doesn't include a motorised wheelchair without arbitrarily excluding numerous other things which many might consider to be an 'automobile'.

Ultimately definitions are fuzzy, arbitrary, and liable to change; and looking for strict consistent meaning generally isn't helpful outside of specific contexts. (ie. A law stating that a Volkswagen Passat owner must pay road tax but a motorised wheelchair user does not.)

In the broadest possible sense of the word a motorised wheelchair is a type of 'automobile' in that it's a wheeled vehicle that moves under its own power; but of course in reality the categories it makes more sense to think of it as belonging to are 'accesibility device' and 'clothing' in the same way in which glasses or shoes would be.

You would think that as a life-long air-cooled VW fan, I'd pretty much know all of them. Nope. I just learned about the EA-489 "Basistransporter." I'll just reprint this from Wikipedia:
The Volkswagen EA489 Basistransporter was a small front-wheel drive platform truck with a front-mounted Volkswagen air-cooled engine. Created by Volkswagen AG, it was about the size of a modern-day Volkswagen Polo and is perhaps one of the rarest Volkswagens in the world because it was never sold in a developed market.

History
It was built between 1976 and 1978, with only 2,600 units produced in completely knocked down kits in Hanover, Germany; and 3,600 units were produced in Puebla, Mexico, between 1977 and 1979 for the Mexican market where it was known as the Hormiga. The car was developed to compete with recent very basic utility vehicles developed by Ford and GM specifically for sale in East Asia, with the intent of opening new markets there and in Africa.[1]

In Finland a truck called the Teijo, closely related to the EA-489, was built by the Wihuri Group from 1975 until 1976. About 200 were made, with some sent to Africa as foreign aid.

It was evaluated for production in the following countries: Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Pakistan, Indonesia, Turkey and Mexico. It was built and sold in Turkey as the EA489, in the Philippines as the Trakbayan ("Country Truck" in Filipino), in Indonesia as the Mitra ("Partner"), and in Mexico as the Hormiga ("Ant" in Spanish).

The Indonesian Mitra, built by P.T. Garuda Mataram Motor Company in Jakarta, featured the cowl of a Volkswagen Type 2 (T2b). A number of bodystyles, ranging from a naked cowl to an ambulance, were available. The Mitra's T2b body featured a front-mounted grille, and the pickup variations featured a bed more distinctly separated than the beds of its T2 cousins. A 93 km/h (58 mph) top speed was promised.

What I love about it is that it was FWD, and VW did it in the simplest way possible, just turning their engine around 180° and putting it in the front. What I find most frustrating is that I was living in Turkey for 15 months in 1986/7 and I didn't know about it. I probably saw them and didn't realize what I was looking at. I could have easily picked one up had I known what to look for. And wouldn't that be the coolest thing to rock up to your local VW meet in?

Volkswagen Teijo

Volkswagen Hormiga

Volkswagen EA 489

Volkswagen Trakbayan

Volkswagen Mitra

I recently started watching the youtube Channel "Big Car". I watched his video on the Morris Marina out of curiousity and learned that it was sold in the US as an Austin. I mean, to be fair with me; I've only seen a few Morris or Austin cars in my life and I'm certain they were mostly Minis.
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/1973-75-austin-marina
HMN0919-CIP-01.jpg

a1e261958438fc779681bc2b70c19692.jpg

I guess that makes sense when the US did get the Ford Cortina and the rebadged Opel Ascona (that I mentioned from my previous post here). Now, hopefully no pianos fall on them like their Morris counterparts. or does Careless Airways have a North American branch? :P

Last edited:
It's not much about the car as about the brand itself but while we all know about Holden's more recent exports to different markets around the world under different GM names like the Chevy SS, Buick Park Avenue, Vauxhall VXR8 and so on, Holden used to actually export various cars back in the day, some even under the Holden's brand rather than Chevy, Pontiac or Buick. Not only that but they also exported some cars to left hand drive markets as well.

Holden LHD.jpg

Holden LHD 2.jpg

Holden-Export-Assembly-Line-1960s.jpg

If I'm not wrong, this is a Holden HK Taxi in Iraq of all places.

369154.png

Newspaper Ad for Holden in Emirate, 1971.

15251619_186944571767668_4931466842083426304_n.jpg

"Monaro LS" in Thailand

Thailand-Holden-Kingswood.jpg
"

Chevrolet Kommando ad in South Africa.

image-asset.jpeg

Holden's were also exported to various other Asian and Latin American markets.

Oddly enough, i recall posting exact thing before but i forgot if i actually posted this or not. DeJa Vu?

Last edited:
The TF X-Power 500 Prototype, which had an engine from the MG-Lola EX257 LMP. It's absolutely nuts, an engine from a Prototype race car into a TF.
https://drivetribe.com/p/mg-tf-xpow...FrgRRCSX-tG0YNFMPw?iid=U0Kij15WTSiKiJFp7ceztA

PmdZTIdfR62BQ-7sGkiEDw

autowp.ru_mg_tf_xpower_500_3.jpg

This time, I was playing through a PS2 game called "Downtown Run" when I learned about this TF. I was trying to unlock the Mustang in the game for a youtube video.

I also learned about the ZT x-power aswell from the same game:
https://www.supercars.net/blog/2001-mg-zt-xpower-500-concept/
2001_MG_ZTXPower500Concept1.jpg

They can design whatever they want, as that tablet feature and quick charging, will be the main reasons for purchase. ;)

1953 Ferrari Monza 625 TF Berlinetta by Vignale. This is new to me. I knew about Ferrari's four-cylinder Monza/Mondial. But I didn't know about this incredibly lovely berlinetta made by Vignale. They built three; two spyders and this one berlinetta. These were the last cars bodied by Vignale on Ferrari chassis. Sadly the berlinetta was destroyed in a fire. The whereabouts of only one of the spyders is known. So only one of the three is still known to exist. Enzo Ferrari had Aurelio Lampredi design a four-cylinder engine for the 1952 F1 season believing the higher torque from a four would be an advantage on twistier circuits. It was used in both F1 and sports car racing and it was successful, racing from 1953 to 1957. It came in several sizes: 500 (2.0L), 625 (2.5L), 735 (2.9L), 750 (3.0L), 857 (3.4L), and 860 (3.4L). I believe less than 100 total were built.

Last edited:
1953 Ferrari Monza 625 TF Berlinetta by Vignale. This is new to me. I new about Ferrari's four-cylinder Monza. But I didn't know about this incredibly lovely berlinetta made by Vignale. They built three; two spyders and this one berlinetta. These were the last cars bodied by Vignale on Ferrari chassis. Sadly the berlinetta was destroyed in a fire. The whereabouts of only one of the spyders is known. So only one of the three is still known to exist. Enzo Ferrari had Aurelio Lampredi design a four-cylinder engine for the 1952 F1 season believing the higher torque from a four would be an advantage on twistier circuits. It was used in both F1 and sports car racing and it was successful, racing from 1953 to 1957. It came in several sizes: 500 (2.0L), 625 (2.5L), 735 (2.9L), 750 (3.0L), 857 (3.4L), and 860 (3.4L). I believe less than 100 total were built.

This looks magnificent!! As if the Merc-AMG GT had its side profile modeled after this little gem of Ferrari.

1953 Ferrari Monza 625 TF Berlinetta by Vignale. This is new to me. I new about Ferrari's four-cylinder Monza. But I didn't know about this incredibly lovely berlinetta made by Vignale. They built three; two spyders and this one berlinetta. These were the last cars bodied by Vignale on Ferrari chassis. Sadly the berlinetta was destroyed in a fire. The whereabouts of only one of the spyders is known. So only one of the three is still known to exist. Enzo Ferrari had Aurelio Lampredi design a four-cylinder engine for the 1952 F1 season believing the higher torque from a four would be an advantage on twistier circuits. It was used in both F1 and sports car racing and it was successful, racing from 1953 to 1957. It came in several sizes: 500 (2.0L), 625 (2.5L), 735 (2.9L), 750 (3.0L), 857 (3.4L), and 860 (3.4L). I believe less than 100 total were built.

Probably the cutest Ferrari ever built. I want one!

Probably the cutest Ferrari ever built. I want one!
What I find crazy is that little four-cylinder engine would have been the crown jewel of just about any other manufacturer's line. But for Ferrari, it was just a fun little side experiment that he forgot about once the rules in racing favored V12 engines again.

Not for nothing, but this seems like the very car that inspired the Capuccino.

Not for nothing, but this seems like the very car that inspired the Capuccino.

It's worth a comparison. Here is the one remaining 625 TF. It spent ten years in Brazil and Argentina being raced in everything they could qualify it for. It then made it's way back to Italy where it was discovered in a scrap yard in the 1980s. Thankfully it was restored and has competed in the modern Mille Miglia four times.

I love how far back in the car the driver sits.

What a sexy little engine.

The only one left.

It's worth a comparison. Here is the one remaining 625 TF. It spent ten years in Brazil and Argentina being raced in everything they could qualify it for. It then made it's way back to Italy where it was discovered in a scrap yard in the 1980s. Thankfully it was restored and has competed in the modern Mille Miglia four times.

I love how far back in the car the driver sits.

What a sexy little engine.

The only one left.
I think I just discovered my favorite Ferrari.

2000 BMW X5 LeMans concept. A one-off show car created to celebrate BMW’s 1999 Le Mans victory. An X5 powered by a 700hp BMW Motorsport V12 engine used in the McLaren F1 and BMW V12 LMR.

tumblr_otk7c8Qh1e1ti77kbo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_otk7c8Qh1e1ti77kbo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_otk7c8Qh1e1ti77kbo1_1280.jpg
It has a Nurburgring time, too. 8 minutes, 5 seconds back in 2000/2001 which was a healthy time to set back then. Diablo GT, 996 GT3, NA1 NSX-R were apparently times set just within' 3 seconds of it around that same era.

I think I just discovered my favorite Ferrari.
I'm not the biggest Jay Leno's Garage fan, but this episode about "The Admiral's Ferrari" about a 500 Mondial (another four-cylinder Ferrari related to the 675 Monza above) is one of his best. For once Jay shuts up and lets the Admiral talk about this little beat up race car he found back around 1960, repaired, raced and owned for the next 50+ years.

Back