You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments
Nice thread guys, keep em coming.

popcorneb5.gif

I guess here is a car not too many are aware of, especially interesting to aussies

Mazda Roadpacer

Mazdin_rotacijski_motor_slavi_40_rojstni_dan_1181675076_b.jpg

Made in Australia without engines then shipped to Japan where they fitted a Rotary engine and a whole bunch of other Japanese gadgets.

Rue
Oh? Any more info? Looking I ran into this...

84915982.5THA3won.IMGP1127web.jpg

Now I feel a little sad.

I saw that happen in the 1-hour RAC TT at the Goodwood Revival Meeting on the Sunday last year. It was at Madgewick corner, the first corner of the circuit, on lap 19, 32 minutes in; the field followed the safety car for 16 minutes before the race was red-flagged. Martin Stretton was driving; he survived, but I think he broke his elbow. The back end of the car had already been hastily put back together after an off on Friday (1st picture). The second picture is from Saturday qualifying, the 3rd-5th during the race on Sunday:

And then the off, the impact and the aftermarth:

I hear it was the first one of 201 built. All the photos are my own.

I guess here is a car not too many are aware of, especially interesting to aussies

Mazda Roadpacer

Made in Australia without engines then shipped to Japan where they fitted a Rotary engine and a whole bunch of other Japanese gadgets.

Actually I did know about that one. It would have been slow as hell, a big Aussie sedan with a tiny gutless little rotary in it. Gimme the actual V8 Holden please.

Roo
I hear it was the first one of 201 built. All the photos are my own.

But as I found out in PMs and searching with Rue, Chassis #001 is restored in Hong Kong since 1992.

Still, very, very sad. It looks like a complete writeoff.

Mazda Roadpacer

Actually I did know about that one. It would have been slow as hell, a big Aussie sedan with a tiny gutless little rotary in it. Gimme the actual V8 Holden please.
I believe there's one in NZ. One. And it's mint original. I've seen it. :D

Ya the K1 Attack is pretty cool, some guy around here is rumoured to own one but I've never seen it on the streets.

The K1 Roadster looks sick. I think also it might be cheaper than other supercars as well.... :drool: Just check out this website if you want to know more about the car....
http://www.k1roadster.nl

nd 4 holden spd: Yeah, its a MR alright. About 300-ish HP.

I checked on Wikipedia, and they're not as rare as I thought.

It says they built 840. I thought they might have built, like, 20. Still rare though, for sure!

Yeah but 840 is still bloody rare, especially considering how many would be left :)

The K1 Roadster looks sick. I think also it might be cheaper than other supercars as well.... :drool: Just check out this website if you want to know more about the car....
http://www.k1roadster.nl

nd 4 holden spd: Yeah, its a MR alright. About 300-ish HP.

It's only a 3.0L V6 but because of lightweightedness gets to 100km/hr within 4.9sec and indeed tunes out to around 320hp if desired. I wonder where the V6 is sourced from, anyone? It's probably not their own engine.

It's only a 3.0L V6 but because of lightweightedness gets to 100km/hr within 4.9sec and indeed tunes out to around 320hp if desired. I wonder where the V6 is sourced from, anyone? It's probably not their own engine.

It uses a Honda engine as far as I know.

I couldn't really find hard facts, but from what I've gathered it seems the K1 Attack uses a Duratec Ford V6.

I couldn't really find hard facts, but from what I've gathered it seems the K1 Attack uses a Duratec Ford V6.

Ya the V6 is a Ford engine I believe but I think most people opt to put the F22 or H22 Honda engines in them. I think if you buy one right from K1 that's what they put in the car.

Ya the V6 is a Ford engine I believe but I think most people opt to put the F22 or H22 Honda engines in them. I think if you buy one right from K1 that's what they put in the car.

Wouldn't most V6s from Honda be suited to an East to West setup? ie Transverse mounted. The Ford V6 it starts with would be longitudinally mounted- it just won't fit.

Mazda Roadpacer

What a find. As a fan of Japanese cars from that era especially, it's mindblowing to find out about such car.

Wiki says the car was sold right after the first fuel crisis, and it got just 9 miles to a gallon. Crazy car, but how cool is it? :lol:

I thought it was built on an Accord chassis as well.

It's custom made

K1's website
The custom made tubular space chassis of Attack was sophisticatedly designed and lately modified with extra attention to torsional rigidity and safety. It would take about 5500 lbs of force in torsion to make the chassis deflect 1 inch! A full race chassis with roof reinforcement will handle about 5000 lbs of force to deflect the chassis by the same value.

A question for all the GTP-members. Which "make of car" is this? I'll post different models to make it easy.

Latest Posts

Back