You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments
Not going to answer the question, because it's to easy for me ;)
I think my dad at one point had a 4wd like in the last picture, but not sure.

I always found this to be an interesting car, after seeing it in Auto Modellista.
img_7909.jpg

The Jiotto Caspita. Seemed like a pretty cool supercar, and went on to produce a Caspita II. But apparently, world recession in the early 90's killed the whole thing.

That looks alright, like an XJ220. Got any specs?

Dimensions & weights

Wheelbase 2700 mm/106.3 in
Track front 1630 mm/64.2 in
rear 1600 mm/63 in
Length 4534 mm/178.5 in
Width 1996 mm/78.6 in
Height 1135 mm/44.7 in
Length:wheelbase ratio 1.68
Ground clearance
Kerb weight 1100 kg/2425 lb
Weight distribution (Front) 40.00 %
Fuel capacity 100 litres (22 imp gal, 26 US gal)

Engine

Manufacturer Motori Moderni
Type Flat-12 DOHC
60 valves total
5 valves per cylinder
Main bearings
Construction
Bore × stroke 84.00 mm × 52.60 mm (3.31 in × 2.07 in)
Bore/Stroke ratio 1.6
Displacement 3497 cc (213 in³)
Unitary capacity 291 cc/cylinder
Compression ratio
Fuel system EFi
Aspiration Normal
Compressor type N/A
Intercooler None
Catalytic Converter
Max. output 456 PS (450 bhp)(336 kW) @ 10,000 rpm
Max. torque 362 N·m (267 ft·lbf) (36.9 kgf·m) @ 6,000 rpm
Coolant Water
Specific output 128.7 bhp per litre (2.11 bhp/in³, 96.0 kW/L)
Specific torque 103.5 N·m/L

Performance

0-100 km/h 4.70 s
Top speed 320 km/h (199 mph)
Power-to-weight 409 bhp per metric ton (305 kW/t)

Chassis

Engine location Mid
Engine alignment Longitudinal
Steering rack & pinion
Suspension Front I.DW.CS.ARB.
Suspension Rear I.DW.CS.ARB.
Wheels F/R 9JJ x 17/13JJ x 17
Tyres F 245/40 ZR 17
Tyres R 335/35 ZR 17
Brakes F/R VeDi/VeDi
Brake size F/R 332/332 mm
Braked area
Transmission 6M
Drive RWD
Top gear ratio 1.00
Final drive ratio 3.75

That sounds cool as, a flat 12 with a top speed well over 300km/hr- wicked. Acceleration, while not bad, seems could have been better though.

I suppose, but still.......... :sly: When compared to cars of less power and more weight like an HSV E-series GTS that can get to 100km/hr in 4.9sec, it still seems sluggish. Maybe it had a dodgy gear box or something.

I suppose, but still.......... :sly: When compared to cars of less power and more weight like an HSV E-series GTS that can get to 100km/hr in 4.9sec, it still seems sluggish. Maybe it had a dodgy gear box or something.

What's your point? A Toyota Camry can pretty much accelerate to 60 as fast as a Miura.

New cars, obviously, are going to have higher "performance" figures because car technology grows fast. Back then, a figure like the Caspita's was pretty darn good.
The Caspita II w/ a 585Bhp Judd-made V10 achieved 0-60 in 3.4 seconds and was mated to a 6-speed gearbox from Wiesmann, was even more impressive.

Yes, but the point is that this car has more power and less weight (around 600-700kg lighter and 20kw extra) and still only 0.2sec quicker to 100km/hr. The Caspita II sounds more spot on. But this old one, it's not a case of "it's slow", it's a case of "this car with those figures should be faster".

I always found this to be an interesting car, after seeing it in Auto Modellista.
img_7909.jpg

The Jiotto Caspita. Seemed like a pretty cool supercar, and went on to produce a Caspita II. But apparently, world recession in the early 90's killed the whole thing.
Nice find, Mac. 👍

I knew about it, because the car has some Japanese blood running in it. I didn't know it was in Auto Modellista though. I have the game, but I never got far in it. I'm gonna have to play it again, when I get a working PSTwo. 👍

Jiotto was somewhat related to what was arguably the first Japanese supercar(and this one I think was in GT4):
Zero.jpg

Dome Zero

On the subject of little known Japanese supercars. I have always had a soft spot for the Yamaha OX99-11 which I think was a joint venture between Yamaha and a British design house based on Yamaha's F1 technology of the day (early 90's), including engine and chassis. The project went tits up due to cost or something (I think they were going to have to sell them at close to US$1M each) and they only ended up making a couple of prototypes, but it stands to this day IMO as arguably one of the sexiest cars ever penned.

http://br.geocities.com/capri7000/Japanese/ox9911.jpg

ox-p3.completed.jpg

F54QCKQX.jpg

ox9911tub.jpg

DXMFXH7G.jpg

I loved the Yamaha OX-99!

I think they made three prototypes before the project went belly up. It would have made a fantastic F1 car for the road, beating Caparo's T1 to the title by almost 15 years.

Yes, I found out it was IAD that worked on the design. They were also responsible for the quite eye-catching IAD Venus and Alien, two cars that just blew my mind when I was 10 year old.

Venus
1.jpg

89iad_venus_22.jpg

Alien (Pictures of this are well hard to come by)
iad_alien-86.jpg

While I was trying to find more photos of the Yamaha OX-99, I found this photo on Google:

ford_indigo.jpg

Ford_IndiGo_open.jpg

Ford Indigo
:drool: 👍

The amazing thing is (according to Wikipedia at least) the engine from this car is used to power Aston Martins.... :eek: Haha, how we do learn things everyday.... :sly:

I had no idea the IAD Alien was real. I had a Hot Wheels model of it, but I wasn't very fond of the styling at all.

Me too, I thought it was another Hot Wheels dreamed up car, but there you go. What engine did it have?

That BMW Z1 looks wierd, I don't know if I like it.

The amazing thing is (according to Wikipedia at least) the engine from this car is used to power Aston Martins.... :eek: Haha, how we do learn things everyday.... :sly:

You weren't aware that the Aston V12 is nothing more than a pair of old Duratec V6's lashed together?

I had no idea the IAD Alien was real. I had a Hot Wheels model of it, but I wasn't very fond of the styling at all.

Holy crap, your right! I thought it was just some crappily designed hot wheels car!

You weren't aware that the Aston V12 is nothing more than a pair of old Duratec V6's lashed together?

Nope. :) But it was quite interesting to find out more about AM. Then suddenly I got lost, and somehow, I ended up reading about BMW's!!! :ouch: Also another interesting find:

The BMW Z8 was designed by and Henrik Fisker and is said to resemble the BMW 507

bmw-z8-front-1_116.jpg

f01507b.jpg

(little known fact is that Henrik Fisker also designed the AM DB9 and the V8)

I also can't believe how many new line up BMW is going to make by 2012!!! :eek:

Back