You think your on a good lap and then...

• Thread starter GT Motion
  • 62 comments
GT-Motion
...your stupid ghost starts driving through your car showing your slower and curse words start flowing bugger eff mother head in the hole HOW! Knowing in your own mind that you did indeed pull that lap as clean as possible, you felt the speed, you just felt it, only to see your fishtailing ghost somehow, someway, pass you leaving you in awe of how you just turned a slower lap than the previous one....

:crazy:

Its the worst feeling. I do it all the time when i start a new Special/Licence test and trundle round at a nice steady pace to get the lay of the land.

Next few tries ill be going like the clappers, howling through corners at what i believe to be the fastest speed achieved by any car, tyres are squealing, children are crying and im pinning the accelerator to the ground but my ghost just pootles past.

It always takes me like 5 goes to beat my first ghost when i was only scouting out the track =(

AS we say in autox "if it looks slow, it's fast" I do the same thing but it all comes down to over-driving the car, not good and very frustrating.

My fiance comes down the stairs and put her bits in front of my face.........

...you look at the split time, tense up and screw up the final sector and can never match that time for the rest of that sitting.

You friends girlfriends walks in the door and sets the dogs off to the point one of them tries to jump over you hitting you in the face. Funny and sad all at te same time. Had about a .2 lead on cape on the second place guy in southeast and haven't matched the lap since :, (

...You get cocky and try to take the last corner too fast.

...you look at the split time, tense up and screw up the final sector and can never match that time for the rest of that sitting.

Complete comedy - all of the above has happened to me yet I still keep coming back for some reason.

Fiancee is always like: "You were having fun? I've never heard you sound so angry at a video game...."

I feel like I have the opposite problem. I can't nail the first sector or two of each of the tracks.

At Tsukuba I could never hit a 15.4 for the first sector, but when I finally did I ended up running a 1:05.1.
At Rome, I'm good at T1 (consistent 27.0 or below), but then there's the kink... Once I get that I'm actually pretty consistent at the next turn and last sector.
And then at the Cape I am very inconsistent at sector 1, but once I get something below 49 I have a decent chance at a low :46 or :45.

I feel like I have the opposite problem. I can't nail the first sector or two of each of the tracks.

At Tsukuba I could never hit a 15.4 for the first sector, but when I finally did I ended up running a 1:05.1.
At Rome, I'm good at T1 (consistent 27.0 or below), but then there's the kink... Once I get that I'm actually pretty consistent at the next turn and last sector.
And then at the Cape I am very inconsistent at sector 1, but once I get something below 49 I have a decent chance at a low :46 or :45.

Below 49? I think i got a 49.7 on my best lap. Just wanted to know where i should be at that point to run faster. Id like to gain another half second from my 2:48.4xx so i wont have so much work to do on the other 2 tracks. I have just been mainly focusing on this one for now then im going to hit the other ones hard.

Below 49? I think i got a 49.7 on my best lap. Just wanted to know where i should be at that point to run faster. Id like to gain another half second from my 2:48.4xx so i wont have so much work to do on the other 2 tracks. I have just been mainly focusing on this one for now then im going to hit the other ones hard.

I've done 48.7 only a couple times, but 48.6 is possible. On my 2:45.887 that's posted, I think I go through sector 1 at either 48.8 or .9.

I've done 48.7 only a couple times, but 48.6 is possible. On my 2:45.887 that's posted, I think I go through sector 1 at either 48.8 or .9.

Damn thats fast through the first sector. Im at 49.6 on my fastest lap (2:48.4xx). Just went home on my lunch break and ran a 49.5 through the frist sector but then failed to finish the lap on a good note. I just dont know how in the world you guys can get a 48 in that first sector. I feel like im running it pretty smooth.

Last edited:
Damn thats fast through the first sector. Im at 49.6 on my fastest lap (2:48.4xx). Just went home on my lunch break and ran a 49.5 through the frist sector but then failed to finish the lap on a good note. I just dont know how in the world you guys can get a 48 in that first sector. I feel like im running it pretty smooth.

If you are not cutting the grass through the first S turn that could be where your losing time, the top guys cut it.

I think a 48.599 is doable. I hit a couple 48.70x's today and Im terrible at the uphill S before the hairpin. Ive been up a car length on Fix and he does a 48.7 in his first sector. I have to get at least a 48.9 for me to proceed with the lap, otherwise its a restart. If you lose .200 to Fix in the first sector there is almost no coming back.

If you are not cutting the grass through the first S turn that could be where your losing time, the top guys cut it.

Im cutting it. Im trying to anyway. Right side tires on the grass on the first part then left sides on the second half of the "S". If i cut the first half of it well sometimes i dont need to put the left sides on the grass for the second part.

I think a 48.599 is doable. I hit a couple 48.70x's today and Im terrible at the uphill S before the hairpin. Ive been up a car length on Fix and he does a 48.7 in his first sector. I have to get at least a 48.9 for me to proceed with the lap, otherwise its a restart. If you lose .200 to Fix in the first sector there is almost no coming back.

I was going to ask...are people restarting or continuing?

At Tsukuba I NEVER restart - it takes me at least 2 laps to warm up the tires (I don't slide that much).

At Rome I go back and forth - when I'm not hitting the kink well I'll get pissed and restart until I get it right.

At the Cape sometimes I'll get in a rhythm and run 5-10+ laps in a row, but often times I restart...like right now as I literally re-learn the muscle memory in my feet section-by-section as I've switched from G25 to DFGT.

At Tsukuba I NEVER restart - it takes me at least 2 laps to warm up the tires (I don't slide that much).

At Rome I go back and forth - when I'm not hitting the kink well I'll get pissed and restart until I get it right.

At the Cape sometimes I'll get in a rhythm and run 5-10+ laps in a row, but often times I restart...like right now as I literally re-learn the muscle memory in my feet section-by-section as I've switched from G25 to DFGT.

Curious to know, has it been an easy switch so far? Is it a lot less comfortable than the g25?

Curious to know, has it been an easy switch so far? Is it a lot less comfortable than the g25?

It's not a LOT worse, but it's noticeable:
- less feedback on curbs
- less fluidity in steering input/response
- less "precise" feedback
- awful pedals - this is the worst, literally re-learning muscle memory as I'm trying to make the switch sans bungee cords

For reference in my last g25 session at the Cape I got my best time, a 2:45.887. In that session I had a 4 lap stretch where I had a 2:45.9, 2:46.0, 2:45.89, and 2:45.88, blowing about 0.2-0.3 in the last sector alone on the last lap. I probably put in a solid few hours/day this weekend w/ the DFGT and have yet to break 2:46 again, with just a handful of times below 2:46.5, and consistently running 2:46.6-.9. At Tsukuba it wasn't as much of an issue, as I posted my first 1:05.1 w/ the DFGT, but it's much easier to modulate pedals at 40mph than it is at 100.

If I dont get under 49 at the first checkpoint then I restart because pretty much the only place I can improve on my ghost is in the first section. No point in me driving another 2 minutes when the lap is already ruined. I also get a better run across the start/finish from a restart than coming off a previous lap.

If I dont get under 49 at the first checkpoint then I restart because pretty much the only place I can improve on my ghost is in the first section. No point in me driving another 2 minutes when the lap is already ruined. I also get a better run across the start/finish from a restart than coming off a previous lap.

I've also found that sometimes I can drive faster with cold tires. They are usually mostly warm through turn 1, which isn't important because there's basically no straight following the turn. The going into those S-bends, the cooler tires are less likely to overheat and provide more predictable grip...clearly a flaw in the tires modeling, but good to use for a quick sector 1.

I've also found that sometimes I can drive faster with cold tires. They are usually mostly warm through turn 1, which isn't important because there's basically no straight following the turn. The going into those S-bends, the cooler tires are less likely to overheat and provide more predictable grip...clearly a flaw in the tires modeling, but good to use for a quick sector 1.

Is the tire model even working during the academy? I thought every lap including the first lap had same tire temps initially. I know when under load the tire HUD shows heat, but that doesn't matter if your on lap 1 or 10 I thought it was all the same.

Is the tire model even working during the academy? I thought every lap including the first lap had same tire temps initially. I know when under load the tire HUD shows heat, but that doesn't matter if your on lap 1 or 10 I thought it was all the same.

This MIGHT be in my head, but I think the HUD matters. For instance, during T1 and the esses at the Cape I notice that the tires are less likely to get red during an out lap versus if they are already warm. Also, it seems like at Tsukuba there's less grip during the first lap(s) until the tires are warm - although I'm not a drifter so they don't warm up in T1 like they would for someone like Fix.

Hit pause, bit hard if you online but, park off track and don't forget to turn mike off as someone did a while back in a public room.

Back