You Using a Stick and Clutch When Applicable?

• Thread starter Talon16
  • 52 comments
United States
United States
So I use a G29 with three pedals and have the stick shift option as well. For cars in GT7 that are legit stick shifts (and there are a lot, which is super cool), I use the clutch and stick to try and be as realistic as possible. If the car I am using is a paddle shifter, I use those.

One thing GT7 does MUCH better than GT-Sport is the clutch and stick interface. Doing heel-toe downshifts sound fantastic with the throttle blips.

It definitley adds a new dynamic to the game; if you're not using your stick/clutch, I'd recommend it.

No I don't. I bought the shifter for my G29, but I can't do heel and toe. I didn't really enjoy it either in games that don't require that.

Now I have the DD Pro with the Standard pedals without clutch, and won't buy a shifter or other pedals.

No, because the clutch is implemented as a digital on off switch that's only really off when you fully depress the clutch. It is a huge handicap.

I'm doing exactly this as well. Only one I'm debating on is cars such as the 90/00s GT500 cars which don't have paddle shifts but don't have H pattern gear shifts either.

At the moment I'm using the stick shift without the clutch pedal.

Is it perfect? No. Is it more fun to drive a Viper with the stick? Yes. I think some of ya'll just being lazy.

I'm doing exactly this as well. Only one I'm debating on is cars such as the 90/00s GT500 cars which don't have paddle shifts but don't have H pattern gear shifts either.

At the moment I'm using the stick shift without the clutch pedal.
How? If I don't push the clutch in the car just 'grinds' and shows "N."

How? If I don't push the clutch in the car just 'grinds' and shows "N."
I just don't press the clutch pedal at all. Just shifting the stick into the relevant gear it goes into it.

If it's a rolling start I will put the stick in the gear above what the car is currently in, i.e if it roll starts in 3rd I will put the stick in 4th.

Then after that, don't press the clutch pedal at all.

I just don't press the clutch pedal at all. Just shifting the stick into the relevant gear it goes into it.
No, that does not work. Yesterday I raced my Viper 13' and with the stock gearbox installed it will not go into gear if I don't depress the clutch fully. Its just grinds gears, in fact I missed a gear couple times during races.

Now if you install a racing gearbox it will be a double-clutch and make it a sequential, no clutch needed anymore.

No, that does not work. Yesterday I raced my Viper 13' and with the stock gearbox installed it will not go into gear if I don't depress the clutch fully. Its just grinds gears, in fact I missed a gear couple times during races.

Now if you install a racing gearbox it will be a double-clutch and make it a sequential, no clutch needed anymore.
Works for me on any car so not sure what's going on there.

Works for me on any car so not sure what's going on there.
Even stock 90's cars?

Have you checked the pre-race settings if you switched on automatic?

I know I don't need clutch when I use paddle shift on any car, but if I use the stick I have to use clutch if its a stock gearbox and the car isn't an automatic.

When I'm back from work I'll do a couple tests.

Last edited:
Is it perfect? No. Is it more fun to drive a Viper with the stick? Yes. I think some of ya'll just being lazy.
Not lazy, I just have 25+ years of experience driving manual cars of all shapes and sizes, I have zero issue with heel and toe shifts, use them regularly in reality.

Absolutely zero of the cars I've driving in reality have required me to fully depress the clutch pedal to the floor to engage it, as such I'd much rather not have GT try and force me into bad habits when every other title (apart from Project Cars - which is stupid with its clutch in another way) gets it right.

I do. I have the Clubsport Shifter and use H-Pattern + Clutch or Sequential stick where it applies.

Clutch implementation could surely be better, but I have a blast regardless.

Even stock 90's cars?

Have you checked the pre-race settings if you switched on automatic?

I know I don't need clutch when I use paddle shift on any car, but if I use the stick I have to use clutch if its a stock gearbox and the car isn't an automatic.

When I'm back from work I'll do a couple tests.
Yeah pretty much everything. It doesn't actually change gear in game until I've moved the shifter into another gear. Settings are definitely manual.

Paddles work as they should. If I press the clutch pedal then it goes into neutral when I move it and then grinds gears.

I use it where appropriate, I also just ended up doing like the above and set the clutch travel to be less than actual physical travel from the PC firmware side....

I nearly bought the TH8A for GT Sport. I'm sufficiently enjoying the act of driving in GT7 that I'm really tempted to again. It's disappointing that the clutch isn't better... but I have two questions.

1) I have a Thrustmaster-GT wheel with the standard pedals. I will only be using it with GT7, is it possible to adjust the biting point of the clutch in relation to its physical position? I've an idea for a mod, but I'm not sure what the accepted method might be.

2) In game, how easy is it to switch between the various gear selectors, i.e. paddles, H plate, sequential plate. Is it entirely limited by what gear box is fitted in game - or for instance, if I get halfway around a lap using the H-shifter, and then think 'sod it', can I revert to using the paddles on the wheel there and then... or, if I had the sequential plate fitted, can I just use it on everything like I use the paddles at the moment?

I nearly bought the TH8A for GT Sport. I'm sufficiently enjoying the act of driving in GT7 that I'm really tempted to again. It's disappointing that the clutch isn't better... but I have two questions.

1) I have a Thrustmaster-GT wheel with the standard pedals. I will only be using it with GT7, is it possible to adjust the biting point of the clutch in relation to its physical position? I've an idea for a mod, but I'm not sure what the accepted method might be.

2) In game, how easy is it to switch between the various gear selectors, i.e. paddles, H plate, sequential plate. Is it entirely limited by what gear box is fitted in game - or for instance, if I get halfway around a lap using the H-shifter, and then think 'sod it', can I revert to using the paddles on the wheel there and then... or, if I had the sequential plate fitted, can I just use it on everything like I use the paddles at the moment?
I can only help with your second question, but I am able to bounce back and forth between the stick and paddles simply by using them. I can be using the stick one second, paddles the next, then back to teh stick if I wanted to. The game just reacts to whatever inputs it gets.

That's how it is on the G29, but I'd imagine it's the same as others.

I use the clutch an H shifter on all cars, that have the feature in real live. I don't heal toe, though and I have the feeling, that GT7 autoblips, then? I have this active in AC and love it. I had the feeling, that Sport was a little harder in that regard, or I just have better timing in 7? Dunno.

I don’t know what your setup is but it works for me also, using the thrustmaster stuff. At the beginning of each race if I just don’t touch the clutch it will allow h pattern shifting without the clutch. If you press the clutch then it will become mandatory, but if you use the paddles then I believe it resets it and you can use h shifter alone again.

Well, just to follow up on this, I ordered a TH8A today, should come next week. I built my own wheelstand, so I'll have to get the hammer and nails out to attach it, and I fully expect to be lousy with it for a good few weeks.

Should be fun.

I always want to use them but it just doesnt feel right. It lacks feedback and the engagement isnt accurate. Sort of a fly-by-wire sensation but worse since you can't feel the car which just leads to disappointment and frustration. I usually end up just using the paddles sans clutch on the rigs I use or just full auto with a controller. Certainly not my preferred way to drive. Every vehicle I have ever owned has been a manual and I derive a lot of enjoyment out of the experience so I will continue to explore reasonable options to emulate that experience.

I've always found video game clutches to be just that - too video-gamey. So I just use the paddles. It sounds like I'm no-lift shifting but whatever, who cares. Actually, this is the ONLY game I've ever played where the devs didn't program some sort of accelerator lift on gear changes, making it so you're bouncing off the limiter between gears on cars with H-pattern shifters (on a G29).

So I embrace it. I'll bounce off the limiter 'til the cows come home.

Using paddle shifters feels great for precision and speed but using a clutch and stick is like making sweet love to the car. When the engine starts to scream and you put your left foot down and then pull back that stick to release another set of awesome power - nothing beats that neither in real life or the virtual.

As a big fan of JDM’s driving with clutch and stick is just the way of life. There’s no other way to go about it. :cool:

All of those saying the clutch/stick doesn't have the same feel of a real car, of course it's not going to feel exactly the same. You know what's even more stale? The paddles.

Back