You Using a Stick and Clutch When Applicable?

• Thread starter Talon16
  • 52 comments
i-8SSGMxr-L.jpg

i-gHQtWrh-L.jpg

i-pxzBTbR-L.jpg

If the car has flappy paddles, I used them to shift gears.
If the car has H pattern manual transmission, I clutch all the way, just like me bmw in real life. Bmws don't like half depressed clutch action.
Try golding all license tests in full manual, no ABS, no traction or driving aids where it is not available in real life.
Not only that try to top the charts...
So much fun...
Anyone here welcome to check my profile...

It's the only way to enjoy this game . (Edit: Not the only way, but one darn good way to have fun).
Full manual mode

Last edited:
I do it appropriate to car, even if the game's manual implementation is a little silly. I think the game auto-blips the throttle, which sort of ruins things a bit, but it still beats driving classic cars with paddles.

So, my TH8A arrived, and though it's not mounted where it needs to be, I managed to clamp it to the rig to have a go. And, man do I suck :D :D

So in the real world I normally drive manuals, that's not the problem. The problem is, I habitually left foot brake, and always have, when using a wheel (paddleshift) with GT, and when driving Auto's in real life, but I can't left foot brake in a manual, it literally becomes dangerous for me in the real world. So my footwork is an absolute mess, and then obviously the rest of the driving skills go to pot as well.

I'm sure I'll get used to that though.

As for the shifter itself, it's solid enough, and though the action could do with a little less spring 'assist', it's a fairly satisfying movement. The clutch action isn't as bad as I'd expected. It's a shame we can't slip the clutch properly, but once you're rolling it doesn't really matter.

I was a bit frustrated by the number of cars I was trying that didn't have a working clutch, but settled on the Ford GT '06 for some 6MT /clutch practice laps. I also tried one of the NSX's, but that seemed to have an audio issue where after a down shift the engine noise disappears until you depress the accelerator again, even if the engines doing 5-6k.

Will try it with the sequential plate later on some of the clutchless manuals.

m76
No, because the clutch is implemented as a digital on off switch that's only really off when you fully depress the clutch. It is a huge handicap.
I slip the clutch just fine, just as I did in GT6. I was recently asked what pedal set I use, because the driver of the car next to me noticed I’d sometimes use it to take off.

I use a full G27 set.

Edit: I also noticed the game allows power shifts now, when in GT6 it would sim a mis-shift.

Last edited:
Okay, so quick question... Thrustmaster T-GT wheel, and TH8A shifter, connected with the serial cable. Any known glitches? For instance, aside from the engine noise glitch I mentioned above, 90% of my FFB disappears when the shifter is connected?

I slip the clutch just fine
What would you estimate the travel to be on the pedals, between fully engaged and fully disengaged?

I think there is a slip, but the only intermediate point is a tiny step that's almost impossible to exploit on a launch... it certainly doesn't feel like a 'slope'.

1649279171571.png

Last edited:
3/4” maaaaayyyyyyyybbbbbeeeee? Somewhere in the center of the full range of travel because I can shift without flooring the pedal.

It isn’t much travel, but after alot of practice using this technique my left foot is tuned. I mainly use it to keep the turbo spooled in hairpins when in a higher gear.

And yea, I ran slower times attempting to drag launch using the clutch.

I slip the clutch just fine, just as I did in GT6. I was recently asked what pedal set I use, because the driver of the car next to me noticed I’d sometimes use it to take off.

I use a full G27 set.

Edit: I also noticed the game allows power shifts now, when in GT6 it would sim a mis-shift.
As soon as I press the clutch in GT7 the car comes out of gear and doesn't want to go back.
You certainly couldn't slip the clutch in GT6, IDK what you are talking about. Unless you depressed it to the floor and kept it depressed until the end of a shift, the game would just penalize you by going into N, and having to fully release the clutch and press it again before trying to shift into gear again. It was such a handicap in racing that made no sense to use it.

It wasn't a clutch, it was a digital switch between : "Allowed to shift gears" and "Not allowed to shift gears"

Maybe on standing starts you could use it for something, frankly I Don'T remember as there are so many standing starts in GT. Still the handicap it causes makes it a hindrance that can't be offset by a small advantage during standing starts.

Last edited:
All of those saying the clutch/stick doesn't have the same feel of a real car, of course it's not going to feel exactly the same. You know what's even more stale? The paddles.
It’s implementation is hot garbage in GT and it seems anyone whos fine with it hasn’t driven the real thing. It’s completely unnecessary to have it like this when paddles are faster anyway.

Last edited:
One of my pet peeves is shifting a shifter on the wrong side, especially in VR. And I got lazy having to move the shifter around when I changed cars.

F1-E7-B927-9-ABB-4544-AB21-C76-A7-B50-AA79.jpg
Haha nice setup man! I was thinking about getting a second TH8A shifter for this very reason... I'm Australian and in real life our gearstick is on the left, but I put my gearstick on the right in the simrig for European and American cars, as it made no difference to me as I don't drive in real life... Would like to try stick on the left now after 3 years... How long does it take to adapt do you think?

Has anyone tried the first endurance race with the Mazdas? For some extremely annoying reason the clutch doesn't work and you can just shift without the clutch pedal. GT DD Pro.

Haha nice setup man! ...How long does it take to adapt do you think?
Thanks! Doesn't take that long, a couple of weeks, I guess. Just go for it! Makes cockpit view and VR that much more immersive. I learned how to heel and toe from Best Motoring and Hot Version videos. I always admired that they could switch between LHD and RHD cars without a hitch. In my country, we drive RHD, too. But I forced myself to learn LHD just in case i make it to the Nurburgring someday to cross off that bucket list drive :D

Yes, I do with a g923.
It's quite fun and adds to the experience.

I've drove manual cars since I'm 12 and while you just can't have the same feeling with a simple setup like mine (poor country.... Sorry lads) the real fun is having to downshift and enter a corner driving the car with one hand...

I only use paddles on licenses, circuit experiences or GT sport Mode.

m76
As soon as I press the clutch in GT7 the car comes out of gear and doesn't want to go back.
You certainly couldn't slip the clutch in GT6, IDK what you are talking about. Unless you depressed it to the floor and kept it depressed until the end of a shift, the game would just penalize you by going into N, and having to fully release the clutch and press it again before trying to shift into gear again. It was such a handicap in racing that made no sense to use it.

It wasn't a clutch, it was a digital switch between : "Allowed to shift gears" and "Not allowed to shift gears"

Maybe on standing starts you could use it for something, frankly I Don'T remember as there are so many standing starts in GT. Still the handicap it causes makes it a hindrance that can't be offset by a small advantage during standing starts.
The only time this happens is when I shift using the paddle, but leave the stick in the previous gear. As soon as I press the clutch and remove my foot from the accelerator, surprise neutral.

Which wheel are you using btw?
Has anyone tried the first endurance race with the Mazdas? For some extremely annoying reason the clutch doesn't work and you can just shift without the clutch pedal. GT DD Pro
What type of car are you driving? If it's a race car it's likely equipped with a transmission that doesn't require a clutch to shift (fully customizable transmission). You're gonna have to fit a fully customizable manual transmission to utilize your clutch pedal.

Last edited:
Sometimes I use it, but the implementation is still poor. We should have feedback for the bite point on the wheel and the engine should be able to stall. That would make it more fun.

Hi guys, I've found this thread and I hope it's okay if I ask these questions here instead of making a new similar thread.

So, I'm playing and loving GT7 with a T-150. I've recently bought new pedals (T3PM), so now I have the clutch pedal and I was wondering if I should buy a shifter (in this case it would be a TH8A). I've always thought it would be really cool to use it with cars who has a manual shifter in real life instead of using paddles, but I don't know how it's implemented in the game.

1) I've read that in GT Sport they blocked the use of H pattern shift in the Sport Mode (which is the one that I play the most, along with time trials), is it the same in GT7?

2) I don't have experience with other sims outside GT, I've read that the clutch is not really well implemented like it is in AC because in this game you have to press it completely to make it work. Is it true?

So, knowing that I've always raced with paddles and no clutch (but still I drive with a shift in real life) would you recommend the h-shifter experience on GT7? Is it well implemented for you?

Thank you! :)

1) I've read that in GT Sport they blocked the use of H pattern shift in the Sport Mode (which is the one that I play the most, along with time trials), is it the same in GT7?

2) I don't have experience with other sims outside GT, I've read that the clutch is not really well implemented like it is in AC because in this game you have to press it completely to make it work. Is it true?

So, knowing that I've always raced with paddles and no clutch (but still I drive with a shift in real life) would you recommend the h-shifter experience on GT7? Is it well implemented for you?
1) In GTS, they didn't block H pattern shifts in Sport Mode outright, they just made it impossible to shift faster than the default shift speed to make it fair for players without shifters. I've yet to try the shifter in GT7 Sport Mode, but I'd assume it's the same thing here. You can still use the shifter, you just have to shift slower, which kinda takes the fun out of banging those gears home.

2) Personally, I think the shifter implementation in GT7 is ok. I play other PC sims as well (Assetto Corsa, Competizione, etc). I press the clutch all the way in every time any way, the travel isn't that far for me. Having said that, you can adjust dead zones and calibrate certain models of Thrustmaster pedals on a PC (I'm running T-LCM). Heel and toe will take practice, because the TH8 shifter gate spacing takes awhile to get used to, and you'll definitely miss some shifts when you first try it. But with some time, you'll get the hang of it.

I'd say that if you love driving and manual transmissions, go for it! It adds a whole new element of involvement to the game and is totally worth it IMHO. I like it so much, i got 2 shifters :D

i-8SSGMxr-L.jpg

i-gHQtWrh-L.jpg

i-pxzBTbR-L.jpg

If the car has flappy paddles, I used them to shift gears.
If the car has H pattern manual transmission, I clutch all the way, just like me bmw in real life. Bmws don't like half depressed clutch action.
Try golding all license tests in full manual, no ABS, no traction or driving aids where it is not available in real life.
Not only that try to top the charts...
So much fun...
Anyone here welcome to check my profile...

It's the only way to enjoy this game . (Edit: Not the only way, but one darn good way to have fun).
Full manual mode
Yup this is how I do it! Did you do the CE with the lancia delta? I think using the clutch and shifter helped me even more because I could use the clutch to break and balance the car better!

Back