Your all tuning backwards.

United States
NEW YAWK
D1Spirit_CRUSHER
Listen to me, stop making your front springs stiffer than your rear. Learn what the dampers actually do, and what the anti-roll bars do too. All the info is right there... next to the f'n sections. It says in plain english (which does not seem like its poorly translated from Japanese to English) That to encourage OVERSTEER to make your front springs softer than the rear. Your anti-roll bars? They only take care of body roll in a horizontal motion. It has nothing to do with vertical roll. That's what your springs and dampers are for. Dampers take care of how far the suspension travels. The stiffer you go, the lower you want your numbers to be. I see some of the most hairbraned tunes, and I use to be one of the people who listened to these "tuners".

WTF

I apologize if I hurt somebody's feelings, but the community is being taught to tune their cars to discourage over steer.

Drift cars are supposed to be tuned to effectively understeer! If they were tuned to oversteer, the moment you threw the wheel for counter-steer it would snap back on you. While entering a slide you encourage the rear end to loose traction, not for the front end to out-grip the back.

Just because oversteer can cause drifting characteristics, it's not the basis for drifting techniques.

Idk dude I don't agree, but then again I don't drift on the wheel. Ever sense i started tuning for oversteer drifting turned into butta. My tail end don't wag like my dog when i walk through the door.

Have you ever tried to drive a drift car on a race track with grippy tires? I have and can tell you the amount of understeer is astronomical. Understeer is essential for a drift car to drift. That way the front has more lateral traction than the rear.. Do some research and then try to prove all of us wrong.

Listen to me, stop making your front springs stiffer than your rear. Learn what the dampers actually do, and what the anti-roll bars do too. All the info is right there... next to the f'n sections. It says in plain english (which does not seem like its poorly translated from Japanese to English) That to encourage OVERSTEER to make your front springs softer than the rear. Your anti-roll bars? They only take care of body roll in a horizontal motion. It has nothing to do with vertical roll. That's what your springs and dampers are for. Dampers take care of how far the suspension travels. The stiffer you go, the lower you want your numbers to be. I see some of the most hairbraned tunes, and I use to be one of the people who listened to these "tuners".

WTF

I apologize if I hurt somebody's feelings, but the community is being taught to tune their cars to discourage over steer.

please post one of your tunes i would like to see how this works for you

With the greatest respect in the world mate you're wrong. As said above real life tunes offer up stiffer front and softer rears and it works on pretty much every car I try. Also it's You're not your :)

Really? Really with more threads saying "No the car is supposed to be tuned like this". Give me a break.

As most people have said already, tune to your driving style. Actually everyone in this thread is correct. Most real life drift cars have stiffer springs in the front than the rear.

@SpiritCrl_lsher : These guys are probably right when it comes to the numbers, and realism. They seem to forget one thing: This game was not designed for drifting. This game does not respond perfectly to a tune, the way it would in real life.

Thing is, I've been using the 'wrong' setup too, soft front stiff rear. It works for me. I will try the way you use your cars, but... I can hold my own sideways, even with this setup. ;)

@SpiritCrl_lsher : These guys are probably right when it comes to the numbers, and realism. They seem to forget one thing: This game was not designed for drifting. This game does not respond perfectly to a tune, the way it would in real life.

Thing is, I've been using the 'wrong' setup too, soft front stiff rear. It works for me. I will try the way you use your cars, but... I can hold my own sideways, even with this setup. ;)

Finally you admit you were wrong about something :P

I think this applys to CH controller drifting. Wheel drifters don't really count I guess. The thought of using grippy tires makes me shudder.

There are more controller that use other tires than wheel users.

I used to use cs on my JZ cars and cm on everything else, but this was pre 2.0 gt5. I miss the straight line and exit traction they provided, but would have to drive around the high HP change bunch. Now I keep HP low to make up for the grip loss and use nitrous to when needed to connect longer sections.

There are more controller users that use other tires than wheel users.

I used to use cs on my JZ cars and cm on everything else, but this was pre 2.0 gt5. I miss the straight line and exit traction they provided, but would have to drive around the high HP ch bunch. Now I keep HP low to make up for the grip loss and use nitrous when needed to connect longer sections.

Is there such a thing a "wrong" way to tune a drift car? Whatever works for each driver is the "right" way.

If a soft front / stiff rear works for you, then rock it.

If a diff other than 5/60/60 works for you, then rock it.

It would awesome if one day we could get to a point where we can all share tuning info with each other without calling people "wrong" for simply trying something different.

Is there such a thing a "wrong" way to tune a drift car? Whatever works for each driver is the "right" way.

If a soft front / stiff rear works for you, then rock it.

If a diff other than 5/60/60 works for you, then rock it.

It would awesome if one day we could get to a point where we can all share tuning info with each other without calling people "wrong" for simply trying something different.

Couldn't have said it any better myself twitch.

Why does it bother you so much?

Tune the way you want to tune, whatever works best for you.

Your setup doesn't make you a good drifter, your drifting does.

But having said that, if you check any real life tune, 95% of the time the front will be harder than the rear.
those real life tunes i know about the rear susp is stiffer. But i know that todays Suspension settup They have a softer Rear than front because it's more about grip

Last edited:
I have an MR car.

It oversteers without even throwing it hard, OK it has aftermarket wheels but this is not a performance car and the rear wheels would be the same as the front.
I have set the rear toe, to .85 and it still oversteers but the slide is manageable and setting it to 1, stops the drift action.

I have the rear ARB quite stiff, and the rear spring rate quite soft.

While the car was not meant to be a drift car but a fast grip driving car, it turned out that this car is quite good at drifting.

Wow, that's a rather strange conclusion the TS has made. Most people I know , usually make front as stiff as possible (with a degree to a personal taste), while rear is pretty soft. This works well in RL.
However I was busy going through campaign in GT6, so, hell, maybe it doesn't work like this in the game. I have yet to try it.

Wow, that's a rather strange conclusion the TS has made. Most people I know , usually make front as stiff as possible (with a degree to a personal taste), while rear is pretty soft. This works well in RL.
However I was busy going through campaign in GT6, so, hell, maybe it doesn't work like this in the game. I have yet to try it.
It does work like that in the game. The OP seems comfortable with his setup, but I gave it a try on my Z33 and S13, and I really did not like it. It felt exactly like I expected it to...the rear had very little grip, the was a lot of oversteer (just like the tooltip in the game suggests...), and it was slooow.

Perhaps that style of tuning just doesn't suit my driving style, but I'll continue to tune my springs softer in the rear than the front.

It does work like that in the game. The OP seems comfortable with his setup, but I gave it a try on my Z33 and S13, and I really did not like it. It felt exactly like I expected it to...the rear had very little grip, the was a lot of oversteer (just like the tooltip in the game suggests...), and it was slooow.

Perhaps that style of tuning just doesn't suit my driving style, but I'll continue to tune my springs softer in the rear than the front.
Yes, now I confirm, the RL suspension setup works as well as it should in GT on S13, 180sx. However I miss the ability to use clutchkick, but oh well, maybe they'll return it back in the game later.
It seems TS doesn't really understand the nature of drifting.

Just a thought here, but I cant see how RL tunes can actually help a DS3 drifter since the input is completely different to a wheel. With a wheel slight adjustments can make so much difference and you can feel the change in characteristics, with a controller the only way to tell if a tune works better is watch the tv there is no feel for how the car is actually behaving. The OP with a controller can clearly not feel that softer springs in the front clearly changes weight distribution or the intensified FFB, So some of these outrageous tunes we have seen benefit each individual user for what makes their car drift better. Now I'm not saying that a DS3 user cant use RL tunes or drift on them I'm guessing the ones that can must have a lot smoother input control then some other players.

I'm no pro gt6 drifter but for some reason I can't tandem with DS3 users, I either cant keep up with them or there lines change quicker than a wheel. If I find a room with a decent wheel user I can tandem lap after lap because the way they drift is always going to be similar to the way I drift.

I agree to a certain extent. There's only a certain amount of guys on DS3 I can drift with..

Got to the point where i just don't bother get close, they can correct way quicker than wheel, usage of hand braking etc so many things that annoy me about it lol

I just drift with the DS3 guys I know are consistent and I'm familiar with.

Oh and having the rear stiffer than the front can be quite frightening LOL, I tried this not to long ago. The speed I spun over after a transition.

You can clutch kick, you just can't make or have your own transmission setup at the same time lol.
Huh, so far my clutch on g25 was inactive on MT and as I recon, there were some debates over this matter. Maybe there is a trick I don't know? Could you enlighten me pls?

Back