Your all tuning backwards.

Damn it. :) that was the only normal way to have a handbreak.

LOL I tried this the other night I can't use the paddles to save my life. I was really looking forward to having something to yank on:lol: that sounds worse than what I meant but I'm so used to finding those little red buttons even when using the shifter for hand brake I would still look for them mid drift out of reflex. Plus I missed the H shifter once you get used to ramming that clutch in so you don't miss shift it just feels natural.:cheers:

LOL I tried this the other night I can't use the paddles to save my life. I was really looking forward to having something to yank on:lol: that sounds worse than what I meant but I'm so used to finding those little red buttons even when using the shifter for hand brake I would still look for them mid drift out of reflex. Plus I missed the H shifter once you get used to ramming that clutch in so you don't miss shift it just feels natural.:cheers:
That's the main problem! I'm used to drive MT cars only and both I have are fitted with H-handbreaks, and yet, not been able to use it just puts away some ability to initiate or "save" myself, but clutch is more important of course.) The truth is that I couldn't really use paddles while drifting (well, duh), so I guess, getting back for the good old days with a clutch and no handbreak (natural when you own an S13 or SX :D ) is just the way to go.
I'm really looking forward for the Fanatec setup with their own Handbreak, that should fix all problems in my opinion.

That's the main problem! I'm used to drive MT cars only and both I have are fitted with H-handbreaks, and yet, not been able to use it just puts away some ability to initiate or "save" myself, but clutch is more important of course.) The truth is that I couldn't really use paddles while drifting (well, duh), so I guess, getting back for the good old days with a clutch and no handbreak (natural when you own an S13 or SX :D ) is just the way to go.
I'm really looking forward for the Fanatec setup with their own Handbreak, that should fix all problems in my opinion.

How long have you tried? I know it's difficult to use paddles for shifting, but I am doint that now. I changed a couple of weeks after GT6 release because I really needed an e-brake. And Im on a DFGT with paddles that rotate along with the wheel... :s (And I'm doing quite decently.)

When I had a dfp I used paddles to shift up, shifter forward to downshift and shifter back to ebrake.

As far as spring rates, determining where the stiffer springs go technically depends on the car, much like determining the spring rate which is far more in-depth than saying the car weighs this, so it needs this rate. Not to mention, said rate with whatever tires you're using.

Try this.
2013-05-12231859_zps1a6074e6.jpg

The only reason I disagree with the OP's original thought about tuning is because if you go watch The Drift Bible it clearly states that Tsuchiya can drift a car with both over and Understeer. It really comes down to Personal choice.

DS3 drifters are e-brake happy which requires a different way to tune. (ie: More camber, stiffer roll bars etc). I recently did a couple of tunes that all looked completely different but act the same. You can have a 4 -7 anti roll bar setting and still feel like 3 - 3 with less unpredictable oversteer which GT6 has a fetish for.

How long have you tried? I know it's difficult to use paddles for shifting, but I am doint that now. I changed a couple of weeks after GT6 release because I really needed an e-brake. And Im on a DFGT with paddles that rotate along with the wheel... :s (And I'm doing quite decently.)
I've tried for about 6 hours total, but still didn't like it. Right now I'm back to the usual clutch H-pattern, though still couldn't get the proper E-break, but this is even funnier this way. Drifting with a clutch in GT is much more satisfying, and yet I can't say the manual tranny works as it's supposed to. For once, I didn't notice if a car can oversteer, once you lower gear. :/
Try this.
That's clever, though I don't have such a device. Did you plug it in second USB?

Last edited:
@TheShinigami

Thanks.

Umm. No it is actually much simpler than that. The DS3 runs on controller port 1 on the system and my wheel runs in controller port 2.

On GT5/GT6 you can program the right joystick to work as the e-brake and it will work.

Simple but it works. You can find these flight sticks at thrift stores a lot. A few people I told that about actually did the same thing.

@TheShinigami

Thanks.

Umm. No it is actually much simpler than that. The DS3 runs on controller port 1 on the system and my wheel runs in controller port 2.

On GT5/GT6 you can program the right joystick to work as the e-brake and it will work.

Simple but it works. You can find these flight sticks at thrift stores a lot. A few people I told that about actually did the same thing.
Dammit!! Now I've totally realized it, once I looked at the picture again. I thought you used the flight controller for this purpose, I didn't notice it was connected to DS3. That's even more hilarious this way, perhaps I will be able to come up with and idea close to this somehow.

Seriously, that's awesome! :eek:

What about we use stiffer rear if a car has problems to maintain oversteer and we do the opposite if a car have a loose tail?? That's why is called tuning, you have to adjust it based on the cars behavior.

Is there such a thing a "wrong" way to tune a drift car? Whatever works for each driver is the "right" way.

If a soft front / stiff rear works for you, then rock it.

If a diff other than 5/60/60 works for you, then rock it.

It would awesome if one day we could get to a point where we can all share tuning info with each other without calling people "wrong" for simply trying something different.
This is true UNLESS you want a COMPETITIVE drift car. If you want to be competitive, there is only one way to tune, and that is for grip. To do that, you use real world settings. Basically as soft as you can make it without making the car un-drivable. :)

A few people have tried my setup methodology now and reckon they are some of the best tunes they've tried. :)

Listen to me, stop making your front springs stiffer than your rear. Learn what the dampers actually do, and what the anti-roll bars do too. All the info is right there... next to the f'n sections. It says in plain english (which does not seem like its poorly translated from Japanese to English) That to encourage OVERSTEER to make your front springs softer than the rear. Your anti-roll bars? They only take care of body roll in a horizontal motion. It has nothing to do with vertical roll. That's what your springs and dampers are for. Dampers take care of how far the suspension travels. The stiffer you go, the lower you want your numbers to be. I see some of the most hairbraned tunes, and I use to be one of the people who listened to these "tuners".

WTF

I apologize if I hurt somebody's feelings, but the community is being taught to tune their cars to discourage over steer.
And that's exactly what we do in real life. ;) Which would make your entire post inaccurate. We tune our real life cars for a mild understeer balance to make them stable when on big angle. Please stop giving wrong information just because you think you know it all. Pretty much every drifter I know runs a softer rear to aid traction with big horsepower. Seriously, do some research before you tell everyone they are wrong.

Have you ever tried to drive a drift car on a race track with grippy tires? I have and can tell you the amount of understeer is astronomical. Understeer is essential for a drift car to drift. That way the front has more lateral traction than the rear.. Do some research and then try to prove all of us wrong.
That is also complete rubbish.

PLEASE people. If you don't drift properly in real life, and don't have a car with fully set up geometry and spring rates etc (not just a set of coilovers and arms LOL) then please stop commenting on what is and is not the correct way to tune :)

@TwinturboCH, I've learned a ton of info from the posts you wrote back on the GT5 boards, but damn you're getting more and more arrogant on these GT6 boards man :)

I'm not trying to call into question your knowledge of drifting, your abilities as a drifter, or your abilities as an instructor. But I can tell you this...if you conduct yourself in real life the way you do on this board, there ain't no way in hell I'd ever go to your school lol :)

Since you have so much knowledge about drifting, why don't you start your own thread with an all inclusive, fully comprehensive guide to drifting. I think that would be much healthier for the GT6 drift community, instead of you jumping into almost every tuning thread to tell people they are doing things wrong.

Your last paragraph where you respond to FastFox might be the dumbest thing I've ever read :). You can't seriously be saying that unless someone has extensive real life drifting and drift tuning experience, there is no way that they can set up a car to drift in a video game???????? I think all that smoke @Gonales blows up your 🤬 is starting to kill off some brain cells :)

@TwinturboCH, I've learned a ton of info from the posts you wrote back on the GT5 boards, but damn you're getting more and more arrogant on these GT6 boards man :)

You, and a lot of people on GTP confuse confidence with arrogance.

I'm not trying to call into question your knowledge of drifting, your abilities as a drifter, or your abilities as an instructor. But I can tell you this...if you conduct yourself in real life the way you do on this board, there ain't no way in hell I'd ever go to your school lol :)

I'd rather learn from someone that is skilled, than someone that means well but knows nothing. Besides the fact that TTCH isn't a bad person at all.

Since you have so much knowledge about drifting, why don't you start your own thread with an all inclusive, fully comprehensive guide to drifting. I think that would be much healthier for the GT6 drift community, instead of you jumping into almost every tuning thread to tell people they are doing things wrong.

Maybe because it takes a lot of time, and he has other things to do? Or because he wants to avoid the people that think they know better, or don't actually have a clue what they are on about? There could be so many reasons...

Your last paragraph where you respond to FastFox might be the dumbest thing I've ever read :). You can't seriously be saying that unless someone has extensive real life drifting and drift tuning experience, there is no way that they can set up a car to drift in a video game???????? I think all that smoke @Gonales blows up your 🤬 is starting to kill off some brain cells :)

All he is saying is: If you don't know what you are talking about, don't claim you do. If people want to be as realistic as possible, they need a lot of real life experience. Otherwise, what they are tuning like, is just the way people tune ingame, and it has nothing to do with real life.

Me blowing smoke up his ass? I really like TTCH, but we haven't spoken in about a year or something. And besides... When have you ever known me to blow smoke up someone's ass?

The way in which I regard TTCH has nothing to do with him, his quality of posting, or his amount of posting. Assuming that is a big leap.

There are plenty of people I have agreed with. You just obviously haven't seen them LOL

That said, yes, I get frustrated with reading the same incorrect 'facts' over and over again. Especially when the original post is essentially calling everyone else idiots, when in fact he's the one who is wrong LOL

The last paragraph (two lines) wasn't aimed at Fox. It was a general comment aimed at people who claim that because they drift in the real world, they know how to set up a car in GT6, but the FACT is that 90% of real world drifters don't have a 'setup' on their car. They just fit coilovers and adjustable arms and then send it to an alignment place to have everything straightened. They don't actually try different setups on their real world car, so their ability to drift is in no way relevant, since they don't actually set cars up. The point was that people in GT6 who set up lots of cars are more likely to have a clue than some kid with an S13 and 250bhp up at Santa Pod on a Saturday. So actually I'm saying the opposite of what you think I'm saying. It was aimed at the other real world drifters on here who say 'I drift, therefore I know how to setup cars'.

And yes, I could spend hours writing a comprehensive post about how to drift, but the simple fact is, you need to be there with someone to watch and explain their mistakes, it's about infinitesimally accurate timing of steering and throttle, so to say you can learn from a post on a forum is retarded. If you could learn via the internet, I'd have no customers. LOL

And even if I COULD teach people without ever actually seeing them drive, I have a business to run, a season to plan, two cars to build, a daughter due in three weeks, and four days of drift school to attend this week, so Gonales is kind of right, I don't really have time. It may sound arrogant, but I do this for a living, I don't really want to spend my spare time doing it for free when I could be playing with friends and practising, either in GT6 or real world.

Last edited:
This is true UNLESS you want a COMPETITIVE drift car. If you want to be competitive, there is only one way to tune, and that is for grip. To do that, you use real world settings. Basically as soft as you can make it without making the car un-drivable. :)

A few people have tried my setup methodology now and reckon they are some of the best tunes they've tried. :)

Agreed I have tried your tune and it works extremely well with a few laps I was able to modify it slightly to my preferences. I cant understand why a lot of people still tune there suspension rock hard I watch all the clips and most people have absolutely no movement in or roll. We have a new suspension model that works really well and no one really understands it they just drop the car as low as it will go stiffen the springs and dampers and slide around and complain that the physics are crap.

The only thing I still have to complain about is CH tires to me the just don't relay real world grip physics I Prefer CS and that sucks because I would like to enter drift comps on GTP but CS tires are frowned upon. I wish someone would run comps with different classes.

I run a stiffer setup than GT5 but I think that's quite normal because GT5 is the only thing we have to really compare it to. We can't compare to real life because most of us if not all don't know how to setup a real drift car's suspension. When I say stiffer, I used to run 2 and 1 on the anti-roll bars now I run 4 and 4. Dampers on 3 to 5 for the most. Spring rates usually about 1/4 of the blue bar on the tuning sheet in front and less in the rear.

I've tried for about 6 hours total, but still didn't like it. Right now I'm back to the usual clutch H-pattern, though still couldn't get the proper E-break, but this is even funnier this way. Drifting with a clutch in GT is much more satisfying, and yet I can't say the manual tranny works as it's supposed to. For once, I didn't notice if a car can oversteer, once you lower gear. :/

That's clever, though I don't have such a device. Did you plug it in second USB?
Dude learn to make the difference between "brake" and "break" already!

So glad you bumped this, it's worth it for the pic of the upcycled joystick-as-hydro handbrake setup alone

I've an old joystick at home I was on the verge of binning, but now it's getting a new lease of life!

Back