Your Experiences With GT Sophy

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
theufc33
If this can go in the PD x Sony AI thread, please close, mods, but I figured, since that’s focused on the AI as a whole and not specifically the in-game experience, I’d make a thread for it.

Feel free to share your experiences with Sophy, how you feel about its in-game ability/performance, and any moments like a great pass, defensive move, or funny moment.

I’ll start. I just tried the Tsukuba race on Expert, starting 4th, with Sophy Violette in 5th in similar machinery.

Well, she had me on the first lap and cruised ahead. Had she not hit traffic in the slower cars that start higher up, I reckon she would’ve gotten a good 4-5 second lead on me. She won the race, I finished third, 3.3 seconds behind.

Sophy is the real deal. Not that I thought otherwise, but it’s just great to see offline racing be so enjoyable in GT. Full or largely expanded implementation, in GT8 (I imagine that’s when it’ll come), is going to make offline GT super fun.

Last edited:
I think they will implement it fully on GT7 in the future, when it will be optimized enough. This is just a test for feedback as a 'first try' for players since is still in experimentation...
Yeah, indeed, I just figure that it’ll take quite a while to have it ready for all cars and tracks, or at least a large selection, so I imagine it might be there by GT8. Or maybe they’ll continue updating Sophy to where GT7 gets the same implementation as what would be in 8.

But maybe they’ll keep that as a selling point for 8. I suppose they could still have it be a selling point even if 7 had Sophy for many cars and tracks. Would be great if it does become available in 7 for a wide selection of cars and tracks.

I think it’s much more fun than the awful AI we have now.

it challenges you that’s for sure. I’m onto race 3 now. I found the first 2 a bit easy if I’m being honest. Certainly fun though.

Edit: OK so all 4 races complete on expert. The best one by far is the GR.4 Lambo. That was a constant battle and easily the best single player race I’ve had on a GT game to date.

The 1 v 1 races are a damn sight harder than the grid of 5.

Last edited:
I'll just repost what I said in the General thread: Sophy is amazing. I've been away from GT7 for a bit so even on Intermediate it was tough to overtake. The skill jump between them in Beginner and Intermediate seems much bigger than Intermediate to Expert. Beginner almost feels like the standard AI we've had up until now. Kick it up to Intermediate and they are overtaking and pressuring all over the place. Maybe a bit too aggressive at times. Expert felt like I was driving against the best people I've raced against in Sport. Meaning, mostly they saw me as a spec in their mirror.

I tried on Tsukuba and Alsace. Sophy seemed a bit more conservative-but-speedy on the former and a bit more free-wheeling and spicy on the latter, for whatever reason.

They could remove the smileys, make races longer and instead put the audio communication something like Crew chief for AC, for example.

It could look/sound like this:

Last edited:
I’ll start. I just tried the Tsukuba race on Expert, starting 4th, with Sophy Violette in 5th in similar machinery.
Even on expert she is on worse tires than we are, if i remember correctly.

Already did the first and third race on all difficulties. Tsukuba on hard was great and the 1-on-1 worked well for me as the track is narrow and Sophy couldn't pass. On the third race on the Corvette it was much mor difficult because i am rubbish in fast cars on weak tires. Did ok until expert. There i made a mistake and let her pass on the second lap just to dive bomb her after the long straight. 1-on-1 i could only win through absolutely reckless driving and bombing after some tries because most if the time her cornering was so good, i couldn't even get to her some corners later.

I am a medium B-rating driver.

Everyone resorting to divebombing and ramming. Maybe they should have added a clean race requirement to pass the challenge.
Maybe. But everyone can be earnest to himself. Do i want to try and have the full experience or do i want to have some fun, trying to win. It's kind of a demo and PD want's everyone to try whatever against the AI. So they can learn the most about our experience. I guess.

I forgot: if there where penalties i wouldn't even have to try 1-on-one other than Tsukuba. All in all i will definitely come back to race on expert mode to become a better driver.

Last edited:
Even on expert she is on worse tires than we are, if i remember correctly.

Already did the first and third race on all difficulties. Tsukuba on hard was great and the 1-on-1 worked well for me as the track is narrow and Sophy couldn't pass. On the third race on the Corvette it was much mor difficult because i am rubbish in fast cars on weak tires. Did ok until expert. There i made a mistake and let her pass on the second lap just to dive bomb her after the long straight. 1-on-1 i could only win through absolutely reckless driving and bombing after some tries because most if the time her cornering was so good, i couldn't even get to her some corners later.

I am a medium B-rating driver.
Yeah, I realised that might the case after seeing the PP difference and that there wasn’t much of a different in straight line speed. The Integra you drive in the 1 vs 1 definitely has less grip.

I'm disappointed by it to be totally honest. Still too easy to win from a ways back, the only thing that's really noticeably different is they will occasionally try to block you and occasionally try to put a nose up the inside, but they'll just as easily back out and don't seem to have much logic on overtaking so when they do get close, you can just park your car on the apex and they won't pass.

Is it better than regular GT AI? Yes. Is it the revolution in racing AI we've been waiting for? So far, not at all.

After all the build up and talk of it being an amazing experience and intense racing etc, it's left me extremely underwhelmed.

Definately a massive improvement feels like your racing against people rather than brain dead bots. They like to close the door and don’t mind nudging you around the track. They are always on a set of worse tires than you aswell. The gr4 lambo Suzuka race your on racing mediums and they are on hards. Sophy violette is something else she deffo had her weetabix for breakfast.

I'm disappointed by it to be totally honest. Still too easy to win from a ways back, the only thing that's really noticeably different is they will occasionally try to block you and occasionally try to put a nose up the inside, but they'll just as easily back out and don't seem to have much logic on overtaking so when they do get close, you can just park your car on the apex and they won't pass.

Is it better than regular GT AI? Yes. Is it the revolution in racing AI we've been waiting for? So far, not at all.

After all the build up and talk of it being an amazing experience and intense racing etc, it's left me extremely underwhelmed.
It’s worth noting all the AI are on a set of worse tires than you. I assume you tried all the races? And depending on the difficulty you get given either a car on par(albeit you have better tires no matter what) or a car significantly more OP than what they drive.

What kind of rating do you have in Sport?

It’s worth noting all the AI are on a set of worse tires than you. I assume you tried all the races?
Yeah I know that, makes me wonder if it would actually be better if they weren't. I've tried each set yes and so far haven't failed to win first time of asking.
What kind of rating do you have in Sport?
Not a high rating, A A I think.

1 vs 1 park your car in fast corner driving line and Violette gets very violent. It seems it cannot see the stopped car until too late and just slams thru.
Otherwise the ai seems to be very cautious and fast.

Agree with Magpie. I think the machinery we are given is too strong for what they have - even in the Suzuka Expert race you pull out tenths on the straight, it's pretty lame.

Call me crazy, but I think "Expert" difficulty levels should actually be tough. I don't want silly advantages like that, it sort of ruins the point of it. If I'm winning by over 4 seconds simply because I'm dominating them on the straights, it's not really giving me a good idea on what Sophy is capable of.

The 1v1's are fun - but Sophy is far too hesitant to make moves, so if you can get a good launch and defend turn 1 it's just a case of holding the inside line; she doesn't really know what to do in corners in that case and she'll back off constantly to switch lines. That's the main point of concern.

Isn't that like top 5% of GT players? That is pretty high, you need to consider that a mode which is suitable for only the top 2% would not be welcomed that much.
But isn't that part of the whole point of Sophy? A challenging driving companion? Maybe I've just missed the point of it's existence.

Particularly the one V ones, I figured with no prize reward that they were actually going to be difficult and have to race hard but that isn't the case. I can only assume the Sophy they raced in the live events and such was a much more capable and advanced variation that we don't have here.

The F1 games still have the best AI racers then (in my opinion).

But isn't that part of the whole point of Sophy? A challenging driving companion? Maybe I've just missed the point of it's existence.

Particularly the one V ones, I figured with no prize reward that they were actually going to be difficult and have to race hard but that isn't the case. I can only assume the Sophy they raced in the live events and such was a much more capable and advanced variation that we don't have here.

The F1 games still have the best AI racers then (in my opinion).
It might be the whole point of Sophy, but I don't think its directly the point of this very first small test.
I can definitely imagine they will roll out more and more and there will be a real hard Sophy race someday.

But I don't think they want to market Sophy from day 1 as some unbeatable machine learning AI, because that would probably scare away 95% of the fanbase. They should market it as a really good AI for different types of players.

Last edited:
It might be the whole point of Sophy, but I don't think its directly the point of this very first small test.
I'd imagine that they need to get a baseline of how the various bots compare to the actual player base, not just the fastest handful of drivers in the world.

I consider myself a very average driver compared to other real players, so I'm expecting the higher difficult levels to be quite difficult.

To be honest, if all it does is not brake when in it touches the apex it'll be more more enjoyable to race against.

But I don't think they want to market Sophy from day 1 as some unbeatable machine learning AI
With the "scaling difficulty" they already have implemented, there could just as well be an option 1v1 same tuning instead of having us players driving with a better tyre - as far as I have read the comments on here.
Or if it actually already the same setup but a dialed down aggressiveness, then offer the 100% potential as an expert+ race?

Last edited:
With the "scaling difficulty" they already have implemented, there could just as well be an option 1v1 same tuning instead of having us players driving with a better tyre - as far as I have read the comments on here.
Or if it actually already the same setup but a dialed down aggressiveness, then offer the 100% potential as an expert+ race?
It's only a guess, but I think they aren't done with the whole scaling difficulty as some easy slider, so for now they would have to find other ways to make the AI less fast, so by giving them worse tyres for example.

So far, I plowed through Tsukuba and Alsace once. Beginner was too easy, but Intermediate and Expert are tough (close wins on Intermediate, close loss on Expert), and forget about getting close in the 1-vs-1 battle (down 6.2 seconds after 2 laps at Tsukuba, 16.6 after 2 laps at Alsace).

What surprised me (and will anger the PS4 crowd) is that the payouts are halfway decent, can come with a clean-race bonus, and are repeatable. I don't know if Sophy learns from our individual drives, which may affect the repeatability.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back