Your Experiences With GT Sophy

I have only tried the Tsukuba expert race so far, but it didn't seem to be too difficult. Probably because it's easier to defend on a narrow track like this. Never had Sophy Violette tried to overtake from the outside, I just defend the inside or the middle and park myself on the apex. She is probably tuned down a little bit.

Anybody else having fun messing around with Sophy? Got through all the new content and decided to treat Sophy like the current AI treats me. The emojis when you force it around…..haha Sophy is a bit sassy. Let’s hope it doesn’t go the way of ChatGPT.

My experience? A lot easier than I thought it would be (including the 1v1s) but definitely a major upgrade over the rubberbanding “professional” AI.
Trial mountain 1v1 was my hardest experience which took two attempts because in the first race she dumped me into the wall before the last s curve.

I think it's safe to assume seasonal events moving forward will involve different iterations of Sophy. They want to see at which level of skill the Sophy AI is sufficient to satisfy most players. As of right now, this iteration is a lot better than the standard AI in GT7.
In the end they will likely implement it fully to GT7 and make it permanent, once completely ready. We gonna wait a while for reaching that time, though.

For me I need a slight rebalance maybe... 1 v 1 I managed to do Tsukuba and Alsace fairly easily - but it requires being ahead into the first corner and defending hard the whole race- this is fun though! Sophy will slip through any gap you leave... and then she's gone.

At Trial Mountain it took a lot of attempts and I still don't have a fully clean win. I tried the expert race for the first time and it was pretty easy, won by a few seconds on the first attempt (having SM tyres made the throttle control a lot easier). I'm way off the pace if the 1 v 1 gets ahead though. Easy 3+ seconds a lap.

Suzuka is a lovely close race though. I can keep up through a lot of it. I'm quicker through the degners still too.

All in all its a huge improvement. Hopefully they are collecting a huge amount of data from us and will improve Sophy even more. Let's hope they roll it out to the full game with a shed load more events this year some time.

It honestly comes across to me as standard AI with the aggression turned up. It's harder than the regular AI, yeah, but I didn't see anything that had me convinced it was anything special.

The main things I've noticed are:
  • It either brakes way, way too late or doesn't understand engine braking - if you brake at an appropriate time and it's right behind you, you're getting hit. Thankfully it seems to knock itself off the track more than it knocks you off.
  • It screws up a lot, which I suppose comes across as more human, but kinda kills the challenge in a 1v1 when it manages to lock the front brakes of a Cayman to the point of spinning out.
  • The way it dives for corners is cool, but after seeing it like three times you can immediately predict it and exploit it. It only dives when there's a massive, obvious "if car gap" - cover the inside line even slightly and it chickens out

Outside of the seemingly random screwups, it honestly feels about as predictable as regular AI. I don't disagree that it's an improvement over the normal AI, but I see it more as "better AI" than this mega realistic behavioural driver they've been pushing it as.

It honestly comes across to me as standard AI with the aggression turned up. It's harder than the regular AI, yeah, but I didn't see anything that had me convinced it was anything special.

The main things I've noticed are:
  • It either brakes way, way too late or doesn't understand engine braking - if you brake at an appropriate time and it's right behind you, you're getting hit. Thankfully it seems to knock itself off the track more than it knocks you off.
  • It screws up a lot, which I suppose comes across as more human, but kinda kills the challenge in a 1v1 when it manages to lock the front brakes of a Cayman to the point of spinning out.
  • The way it dives for corners is cool, but after seeing it like three times you can immediately predict it and exploit it. It only dives when there's a massive, obvious "if car gap" - cover the inside line even slightly and it chickens out

Outside of the seemingly random screwups, it honestly feels about as predictable as regular AI. I don't disagree that it's an improvement over the normal AI, but I see it more as "better AI" than this mega realistic behavioural driver they've been pushing it as.
I share your exact views on Sophy.

It is great fun to play around with, and it will be even better once we can choose which cars to put against it. The 4 trial races are great fun and I will continue to replay them to improve and have some fun with.

In terms of this mega machine learning AI superhuman driver though. I don't really get that feeling, at all. From my personal experience, it seems similar to the AI on Automobilista 2.

I had not played this game in about 5 or 6 months ... racing Sophy is pretty fun! I think I may be playing this game a little more over the next month.

I also like the "race only" HUD option in the latest update. I didn't see any emoji using that HUD in my races.

but for me it's fake in the other direction from the current AI. This AI in the 1 v 1 can brake, hit the apex, and come out behind you all while holding a .1s gap. No human has that reaction time.
Should PD consider integrating a latency factor so that Sophy does not possess instantaneous inputs? When we race together -- humans that is -- we adapt to the reality of connection issues...should Sophy also comply?

Should PD consider integrating a latency factor so that Sophy does not possess instantaneous inputs? When we race together -- humans that is -- we adapt to the reality of connection issues...should Sophy also comply?
Sophy already only gets to change her inputs every tenth of a second, this seems like an unnecessary handicap.

I share your exact views on Sophy.

It is great fun to play around with, and it will be even better once we can choose which cars to put against it. The 4 trial races are great fun and I will continue to replay them to improve and have some fun with.

In terms of this mega machine learning AI superhuman driver though. I don't really get that feeling, at all. From my personal experience, it seems similar to the AI on Automobilista 2.
I guess we would need someone who raced against the Sophy AIs at track events to confirm, but I get the sense that even the Expert AI level is not on "full power". If you think about the fact that at the track events it required a whole PS5 to itself to run them, well this may a performance tradeoff to get it to run on everyone's console while also doing the normal things the game does. I'm just theorizing of course. Either way I'm sure the data they're getting will allow them to tweak the difficulty levels and probably refine the AI models.

I don’t think I’ll be racing against Sophy going forward. Beginner and intermediate are too easy and I find expert too hard. The jumps between the levels are too great and I’m not finding a level that works for me.

Trying expert, Sophy Violette bumped me to take 4th and put me down to 5th. Probable payback for me bumping her off earlier. Anyway it was late and after several races I knew I would not be able to catch up, so as we approached turn 13 (Spoon curve) at Suzuka I decided to try to knock her off at full speed for fun. It did not end well for me. :D
20970320127394652.jpg

Anyway that’s probably the end on my Sophy races.

Last edited:
I am on a new account and doing the Cafe Books all over. I can tell you that i will not make the slightest progress because i will only race sophy for a month. :-)
Love Tsukuba, Alsace and Suzuka on Expert. Can't stand the fast Corvette on bad tires. I will do these 3 races as long as we got them.

For me beginner and intermediate are too easy, expert and the 1vs1 are great.

Massive improvement on the standard AI.

Now what I look forward to is a new updated where all the cars are the same PP and we can chose the difficulty manually.

Only done the first set but got a bit frustrated on the 1v1. Last lap, last turn at Tskuba and Sophy divebombs me into that right and PIT maneuvers me. I barely recovered but lost the race. Started over, T1 pushed its arse into the wall. Skynet needs to learn what goes around comes around. Won that one.

Even in the easier levels I would have a run on the straight and it would weave right in front of me! WTF kind of race craft is that? I'll try the other levels later but I can already tell I will likely be getting frustrated... if Sophy is just going to dive and push-to-pass then I might as well play online.

It’s obviously still a work in progress but it’s still really impressive nonetheless. Hopefully it will completely replace the old ai in the next GT game.

I wonder if the same physics model applies to sophy as to me. I lost the intermediate twice yesterday.
That is the same thought as to comparing yourself to the real persona behind the named AI drivers that you see in the game.
Or in some cases to the base AI, that some claim is ignoring tyre wear at all.

Tried it yesterday’s on trial mountain 🫣 not my fav track, nor the car. sophy violette is 10 second better then me that’s underwhelming
Aside this the races are pretty fun! It eod be great if they can set a driver angry or a faulty one… more personality on the driver would make the races less scripted and always fun

Back