Your first Gran Turismo

• Thread starter Racer Dee
  • 57 comments
mmm..:indiff:i've been wondering:indiff:,what were your first thoughts, when Gran Turismo was created sly:?

leave your comments

thanx:)

i'll post my story later.....

Let’s see, when I first purchased GT-1 many years ago . . .

First I was excited because of the promise of all the real life cars that would be available . . .

Then after that I became frustrated because of the closer to reality based physics. From the NFS games that were available at the time, this was a whole new world to adjust to.

Then I became determined to master and beat the game. (I wasn't going to let the game get the best of me.)

Beyond that I was overcome by delusions of grandeur, became obsessed with building and tuning every car available, and fanatical about getting every sequel released after that.

So in conclusion . . . it was excited, frustrated, determined, delusional, obsessed and fanatical.

Although I believe that my fanatical phase has passed at this point. I can’t bring my self to drop that kind of money on a PS3, and have been considering getting an X-box360 lately. So GT4 may be my stopping point in the series.

my brother bought GT2 a few years back. It was when i watched him hurling an escudo round super speedway that i got into it.

Then when i got a little older i got GT4, and it was soon after that that i found myself obsessed with cars. Now we both have real cars to play with!

My very first thought was "og god" when i hopped in a speed six cerbera on GT2, slamming into the barriers at every corner, braking points meant nothing to me ;)

I first played GT2 back when there was a demo in OPM. I was both amazed and overwhelmed by all the manufacturers I had never heard of.

So in conclusion . . . it was excited, frustrated, determined, delusional, obsessed and fanatical.

Hee hee! :lol: Funny dude.

I'll bet my bottom dollar that many threads have been created on this topic in this forum already, but I don't care. Let a mod close this...so be it if it happens. Anyways, here's my story.

I was sick of dying over and over again in my usual games of the time (Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, etc). I wanted a game in which I didn't die 12x in one evening! :scared: I also wanted a game that would boost my ego; make me feel good about myself after being crapped on at work for 8 hours. :yuck:

And so I looked up this review at Game Revolution:

http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/sony/gran_turismo

...and it changed my life. I know it sounds gay, but it's true. GT changed my life. It got me interested in cars again. As a teen, I would read Road & Track, work on my '67 Mustang, and go street racing. As a 36 year-old, I couldn't afford to race or have a street rod anymore (mostly 'cuz now I had to pay rent and bills), so the next best thing is GT. 👍

So my first Gt experience was me basically getting off of work everynite somewhere between 10pm and 12 midnite, coming home and obsessively sitting in my room (with christmas lights strung on the walls) learning every detail online that I could about the car I was about to race. And then racing and either kicking ass or getting my ass kicked! :lol:

Last edited:
I was sick of dying over and over again in my usual games of the time (Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, etc). I wanted a game in which i didn't die 12x in one evening! :scared: I also wanted a game that would boost my ego; make me feel good about myself after being crapped on at work for 8 hours. :yuck:
Damn, I know how that feels Parnelli. I remember last year when I bought Final Fantasy XII, I couldn't play it, and not just because of playing GT for ages. My first though on GT was: 'Damn! I can't decide between $50 in clothes or a videogame! :scared::banghead:

Parnelli, I like that review. Especially the gypsy curse part. xD
I see how that could get a person into GT.

However, my first experience with the GT series was at my cousin's house. I believe he had every single GT game up to the third one, and I played all of them and loved it. It wasn't until the last year or so that I actually bought a GT game. At first I hated it because I didn't understand physics at all. But I really started to play this year after I got bored of losing in NFS. GT4 brought me here too. So I guess thats a good thing. Right?? Guys?? Where'd you go?:scared:

Parnelli, I like that review. Especially the gypsy curse part. xD
I see how that could get a person into GT.

However, my first experience with the GT series was at my cousin's house. I believe he had every single GT game up to the third one, and I played all of them and loved it. It wasn't until the last year or so that I actually bought a GT game. At first I hated it because I didn't understand physics at all. But I really started to play this year after I got bored of losing in NFS. GT4 brought me here too. So I guess thats a good thing. Right?? Guys?? Where'd you go?:scared:

What gypsy curse? :confused: EDIT: oh, from the Game Revolution review! drrrr. :dunce: Yeah, that's one of the best sites for game reviews....although I don't think they liked GT4 as much as GT1 :confused:

I'm still here. Had to go for a bike ride. I'm glad I got to read your story (and others). I'm looking forward to answers to this thread. :)

Last edited:
i didn't like GT1 at first. Cause i was confused why Need For Speed had better cars. The Diablo vs Testarossa was awesome to me.

Now before you go crazy, im talking about the good days like Need For Speed 1 & 2. 10 Years before the horrid mess it is today. But after i bought GT2 the day it came out, i was hooked hard. I even tried GT1 again and liked that too.

i didn't like GT1 at first. Cause i was confused why Need For Speed had better cars. The Diablo vs Testarossa was awesome to me.

Just so you know (and to anyone who doesn't know) Gt didn't include Porsches, Lambos, and Ferraris (and probably Maseratis as well) because stupid EA had a near-exclusive contract with these makes for the Need 4 Speed series. For PD to gain access to these cars for GT, they probably would have had to pay EA alot of money, simply because EA knows they had a handful of aces in the gaming war, as they held the contracts that would lose them sales if PD would have these cars in their game.

I'm not sure how things stand now. After all, more exotic makes have found their way into Forza, and GT5 already has Ferrari and is rumored to be getting Porsches (not Rufs, but actual Porsches) as well. I'm not sure if EA's contract ended, or if they finally allowed other game-makers to have these cars, or if PD/Sony and Forza/Microsoft had to fork over some mad cash.

Ok,when I was 5,I heard about Gran Turismo&Gran Turismo 2 from my uncle whose also a gt addict:).I was really curious:dunce:,so I told my mom to buy em' for me.When she brought it home,i put the CDs in my ps1 one by one,i played:rolleyes: and it was exciting:D,coz it gave me the chance to recognize all the cars:D in the games.After that event,:bowdown:GT:bowdown: changed my life;).today,i'm also a GT addict just like my uncle:lol:;)

Actually right now :PI'm 13 years old:P

The first time i played gt was when i borrowed gt3 from my cousins.
But at the time i didn't think it was fun.
Later at 2004-2005 I got gt4 from my cousins. (it was ,my birthday).
It was GREAT:dopey:! Well that was my first gt, gt4.

Oh btw what is this doing in the gt4 forums?

I played the first Gran Turismo when I first bought the PSX. :P
Oh and Racer Dee, your not the only Malaysian in this forum....hehehe. :mischievous:

I first played a demo of GT2. I was about 7 years old and I was amazed by the "advanced graphics" because that was good then. I would always get angry because I couldn't steer well because of the "realisticness" of the handling. Then, 3 years later I played the demo again, and knew how to brake and steer and all of that. I then ignored GT for another 5 years when I saw a drifting video of GT4. I then went to buy that for the soul reason to drift the many cars in the game. I was amazed by the even more advanced graphics and the realisticness of the handling.(notice there are no quotes) Although it wasn't until after 3 months of frustration because I could not drift that I found this forum we call GTPlanet.net. I went to the drift settings depot and learned some of the basics on tuning and controlling the cars. Now I'm an active member of this site and pretty dang good at GT4.

That's my story.👍

GT4 may be my stopping point in the series.

I just bought an X-box360 and forza 2 ain't as good as gt4 you can't sell prize cars and make barely any money even from endurance races and there are plenty of 'bobs' to drive to victory for you but they charge more than 55% of your winnings some 'bobs' even charge 100% and you can't upgrade racecars just tune then I no wantey ps3 so gt4 is my stop.

I just bought an X-box360 and forza 2 ain't as good as gt4 you can't sell prize cars and make barely any money even from endurance races and there are plenty of 'bobs' to drive to victory for you but they charge more than 55% of your winnings some 'bobs' even charge 100% and you can't upgrade racecars just tune then I no wantey ps3 so gt4 is my stop.
And people think it's better than the GT series? Pfft!

Cool. Hey there's a couple buttons you might want to check out on your keyboard. One is called the "comma". It looks like this:

The other is called a "period" like the one at the end of this sentence. Use these 2 symbols to help change one giant sentence into several smaller ones. This makes things easier to read. That's all.

I discovered the GT series rather late. GT3 was already a "Greatest Hit" and came as a free bonus game with my PS2. My first thoughts? "How will I ever be able to beat the Sunday Cup in this Miata?" :banghead:

Of course, now I'm an addict, with a DFP, Bob Earl Racing Chassis, and 90% complete on GT4. Thinking of trying to locate copies of GT1 and 2, and giving those a go, while saving money for a PS3 and GT5.

Of course, now I'm an addict, with a DFP, Bob Earl Racing Chassis, and 90% complete on GT4. Thinking of trying to locate copies of GT1 and 2, and giving those a go, while saving money for a PS3 and GT5.
Weirdly enough, I was thinking of putting GT1 and GT2 inside my PSP when I have some space left.... But really, no other racing game can be as fun as GT.... :D

Is this true,does PSP support gt1 AND GT2?!:dunce:
Uh....no. :P
Both games are from the PS1 and are ripped into a format suitable to play on the PSP (which you need a converter for) and your PSP must support custom firmware to play it and it doesn't work with the original firmware. But since you are in KL, there is no problem buying a PSP with custom firmware is it? ;)
Either that or you go find it yourself on the internet, which is easier (and the fact that I did it as well :guilty:)

Got GT1 to work, but I need to update the firmware in order to play GT2. :D

Cool. Hey there's a couple buttons you might want to check out on your keyboard. One is called the "comma". It looks like this:

The other is called a "period" like the one at the end of this sentence. Use these 2 symbols to help change one giant sentence into several smaller ones. This makes things easier to read. That's all.

Parnelli, your sooo harsh.:sly:

Well anyway... My first GT game was GT2 when I was like... 5 or 6 yrs old. I played a little, but at the time NFS's concept of floor it and steer was much better. Then My parents(divorced) both gave me GT3. So then I had two copies of GT3. I played a little, but lost interest. Then I went to one of my cousins house in California for a visit. He had GT3 and it was his only racing game (I've been a car addict before I could even walk. No lie) so I settled to play it for the next two weeks while I was visiting. And since then I've been a GT fan. I bought GT4 a while back and even bought GT1 recently. GT has turned me on to so many new things like Toyota MR2's. The coolest car in the world. Gran Turismo is my only racing outlet right now since I'm only 14:ouch:

Back