Your First Gran TurIsmo?

GT1 on PS1 , man I was hooked , put some serious amount of hours into GT1 and GT3, for me my faves out the series, so much fun compared too nowadays maybe it cos I'm old have seen it all before :)

What was everyone’s first time playing Gran TurIsmo?

GT1 on the PS1 was the first game I’ve ever played, of any genre and it was the first time I played this new fangled game thing. I was hooked however I missed 4 and 5 because of different reasons but I remember I did move over to Xbox and didn’t play the PS3 much if at all.

Also, if your a later entrant to the series, what brought you into it?

Like many I started with GT1.

You should try to get a hand on GT4, that is by far the best in the series and it isn't even close.

Got it in late 1998. Bought the PS and Metal Gear Solid then GT. I think most of my games since then (almost 30 years) have always been the next version of those two games plus fifa and f1 🤣

I was a PC gamer from the 80's until around 2007 when I switched to a PS3 for all that. ....so GT5 Prologue was my first although sims were not unfamiliar to me. I skipped GT Sport until much later after it had been updated with the SP elements, etc. and then I bought it at a significant discount.

I bought GT7 on release.

Last edited:
Back in 1998 when my family moved to Arizona from Colorado we had to stay in an apartment for a short time while our house was being built. The apartment complex was next to a shopping center that had a video rental store. You could also rent games there. I had rented GT1 and fell in love with it, and have been with the GT series ever since. It's been a ride, that's for sure. Even made the GT Academy finals in 2010. An experience I will definitely never forget.

324823.jpg

Likewise the original Gran Turismo on PS1 around 1999. Didn't bought it, instead it was lent by a friend, as I lent him Toca Racing Driver. Bought it when came out in Platinum edition.
Have every one of them (except Gt 4 Prologue), including the GT PSP and the step brother Tourist Trophy.
On PS2 there was a gap, as I only bought the console on the bundle with Gran Turismo 4, only buying GT3 and GT Concept 2002 many years latter.
PS3 was bought with the release of Gran Turismo HD Concept.
Already had the PS4 on release of Gran Turismo Sport, the game release coincided with the birth of my first child, It was a great paternity leave :D. Right around the corner there was the Black Friday promos and Amazon UK had a great deal on the Logitech G29 (the wheel just became a bit less desirable because of the Thrustmaster/PD deal) and bought a PS compatible wheel for the first time.
Still with the old PS4, GT7 was the next in line.
GT Sport and GT HD Concept are the only ones I don't have physical copies (obviously the Concept was download only)

GT1
  • Bought it when it was launched back in 1997.
  • Played it quite a bit but didn’t complete it.

GT2
  • Skipped.

GT3 A-Spec
  • Skipped.

GT4
  • Bought it back in 2005 along with my first wheel, the Logitech Driving Force Pro.
  • Bought it mainly for Nurburgring Nordschleife and Circuit de la Sarthe. Back then there were no sectors to practice, so the Nordschleife was much harder to learn (had to watch some onboard clips on YouTube to help me to learn it), but eventually learned it and was able to knock out Mission 34 after a couple of hours of trying it.
  • Miss the city courses from this game.
  • Played it quite a bit as well but still didn’t complete the game.

GT5
  • Bought it back in 2011 along with the PS3.
  • Again played it for few months but didn’t complete the game as usual.

GT6
  • Got it for free with some reward points back in 2013 but never played it.

GT Sport
  • Wasn’t planning on picking this one up but saw it in stores back in Summer of 2020 for $15 (PS Hits) while shopping for other games.
  • Eventually decided to pick it up, installed it, but didn’t start playing it until maybe a couple months later.
  • Started with the DualShock motion control for steering, which I thought was better than using the sticks, but eventually had to get out my old trusty Logitech DFP (by which time was 15 years old) for the full experience. Since the DFP was not a supported wheel on the PS4, I had to get the Drive Hub to use it. Not ideal, but worked out okay for the most part. The wheel would disconnect frequently, which was really annoying, especially in the middle of a great lap or race.
  • Played through most of the single player campaign with the DFP until one of the clamps broke late last year. Decided to pick up the G923 in the interim so I could continue with the game.
  • Didn’t play for several months in 2021 because I was away for a while as well as being hooked on ACC.
  • Picking the game back up again in the Fall last year and was finally able to complete the single player campaign late last year. I even purchased the Hamilton DLC at the end and completed that as well.

GT7
  • Pre-ordered the 25th Anniversary Edition and got it on release day but didn’t start playing until late April.
  • Still slowly making my way through the game.

That’s my GT journey in a nutshell 😊

GT1 on the PS1 and then up to GT5 to all appear immediately... I didn't pre-order GTS until later (started at the end of December 21) GT7 and played immediately.

Gt1 on PS1. Not mine, it was my best friend's whonis like my brother. Played 1 and 2 on his ps1, then GT3 on his PS2. The first I bought was GTS Spec II for my PS4 pro

Gran Turismo on the PS1 when it's graphics blew me away. It was so much more realistic than Ridge Racer.
I've had every single Gran Turismo since.

But it started with Stock Cars on the BBC Micro. Then Revs 2 and Overdrive.
E Type Jag and Saloon Cars on the Acorn Archimedes
Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge and Jaguar XJ220 on the Amiga
Then Microprose Grand Prix on the PC.
And of course Outrun at the arcades and then Daytona.

There's several more, but I can't remember all the names.

1658136140841.png

Last edited:
The original.

Had never before played a serious racing game (besides the TOCA demo on a disc from some magazine). Could barely get through the early licences, didn’t know how to handle RWDs so ended up massively upgrading a Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo and running that endlessly in the entry level events.

Counts if I played Motor Toon Grand Prix (MGP 2 in Japan), in "Motor Toon GP R" minigame? I remenber thinking to myself: "- Man, if these guys made a serious racing game, it would be awesome..."

Last edited:
60`s version - :lol: anyone have one of these before the computer age ?..same name /same cars

View attachment 1173442
This is what I grew up with...
20220718_215309.jpg
And when I got my son a Playststion and also GT1 I wound up playing it more that he did and I was hooked, i always pretended when playing with the slot cars that I was in Le Mans. I don't have to pretend anymore...

Last edited:
I remember it almost like it was yesterday. Me and a friend went and each got a copy of GT1 the first week it was out on a Friday right after school then I picked up my PlayStation and told my parents I was spending the weekend at his house. Proceeded to compete with each other over our progress by playing in the same room side by side all weekend only sleeping probably 5 or 6 hours between Friday night and Sunday. I remember getting in trouble by his mom for being too loud and waking them up at like 2 or 3 am. Monday rolled around and school was hell.
Similar scenario when GT2 released and that’s definitely the version I’ve played the most. I still have it and garages maxed out with every car in the game between several memory cards. I last played it a few weeks before GT7 launched.
GT3 was a disappointment for me and I never spent much time playing GT4 through GT6 as life was incredibly busy those years and I didn’t have much time for gaming. Never played GTS but have been enjoying GT7 quite a bit, even with all its flaws and lacking the content I thought I’d have gotten on launch day.

My Gran Turismo journey started in 1999 with a PS1 and GT1. All My PS's are still in mint condition and fully functional. I Haven't pulled the trigger on a PS5 yet. I'm waiting to see if a SLIM or PRO gets released. These consoles are permanently on display. (I Have more that gets used daily 👀 )

Attachments

• PS.jpeg
    PS.jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 7
GT1.

But I have memories of queuing up day one for GT2 at either Electronic Boutique or Virgin Megastore for that sweet scratch n sniff disc.

I like topics like these! GT3, but I initially disliked it because the driving model was so much different than anything I have ever experienced before and I was 6 years old at the time. I didn't touch the series again until 2009.

For me Gran Turismo didn't find itself until GT5 (as controversial as that may sound).

Last edited:
GT1. Not from launch but pretty close. Was hooked and from there I preordered GT2 and played it up to GT3. I was fortunate to get a PS2 at launch and eventually got a hold of demos for GT2000 and GT3. Never got GT2000 to work(Import) but played a lot of the GT3 demo (NSX/Trial Mountain and Motley Crew Woooo!) until GT3. Then the Concept games(every region), even the Prius demo, a "First Preview" demo, Prologue, 4 and then Tourist Trophy. Got a PS3 at launch then HD Concept, 5 Prologue, GT PSP then 5 CE at release . Held off on a PS4 but got 6 on launch. Eventually got a PS4 and Sport. 7 was the first I didnt try to get a launch. Honestly didnt even realize it released but picked it up when I was reminded.

Last edited:
I started with Turismo 1 on the day I bought my first Playstation. Like most of you I have bought every version of Gran Turismo, including the prototype "test game" for GT1, which is called Motor Toon Gran Prix. It used the soon to be GT1 engine. I own two sealed copies of the GT1 official Prima guide and let a copy of the GT2 guide slip through my fingers lol. I was the only person in my entire area to be lucky enough to get the collector's edition of GT5, since only one copy was allocated and I had my deposit in first. My favourite "GT" game is Tourist Trophy,(second is Prologue), and I would love to see a modern sequel. I own lots of GT collectibles including a Gran Turismo bicycle helmet cover lol.

The first one I played was GT 2. I don't remember having any knowledge about it before, I just saw it in a store and it looked cool. When I discovered it had the car I was driving irl at the time (2000 Toyota Echo), I was hooked! I didn't even play online until GT Sport but had all the games in between, even GT 5 Prologue. I bought a PS2 for GT3, a PS3 for GT5 (eventually). I had to wait for months to find a ps4pro when GT Sport came out, and if I could find a PS5 I would have one for GT7. Only game I would buy a console for. Actually several consoles hehe.

Back