Your First GTA?

What game got you started on the GTA series?

• Total voters

xXKingJoshXx

Self Made Billionaire Lobster Salesman & POTUS
Premium
United States
Indy
xXKingJoshXx
The other day I was thinking about my first experience with Grand Theft Auto. Around 13-15 years ago I was in a Blockbuster (remember those?) with my grandma. I don't remember if we were there to get a movie or what but I saw a game for my PlayStation 2 that looked like something I shouldn't play, and so I wanted it. After begging my grandma, I came home with a new game!...for a few days until I had to return it. :lol:

That game? Grand Theft Auto Vice City.

ps2_grand_theft_auto_vice_city-110214.jpg

There's a poll with all of the main GTA titles. I won't be including any of the games that weren't available on consoles.

Remember, this is not a poll for your favorite GTA, it's for your first GTA!

First one I ever played was GTA2. I found it visiting my sister's house and became interested in it whenever I visited her house. I now own that very disc after my sister gave it to me when she sold her PS1 she had.

My first GTA was GTA III on the PS2. What an amazing game for the time, absolutely loved spending hours just driving around in a Kuruma I stole borrowed. Although I never made much progress in any of the PS2 eras GTA and to this day GTA IV (& Episodes) and GTAV are the only 2 GTA's I've actually completed all the story missions in.

I played all the originals, but I wasn't really in to them. GTA3 was really the point where I got into the franchise.... and GTA: Online is the point where I checked out of the franchise.

Not sure if I played GTA, but I do remember playing GTA 2. I didn't like it that much though.

GTA 4 was the first GTA that I actually kept playing.

I started with Grand Theft Auto III on PS2 which was a good and also Vice City. I am playing San Andreas now, with a codes from action replay cheat disc and having fun.

Started with the OG Grand Theft Auto.

When I first got into it I bought a twin pack PC set that had the OG GTA bundled in with GTA: London expansion, so I played them in order. Really enjoyed it when I played it and really enjoyed the London expansion, but I was massively turned off by GTA2. I didn't like the art direction and I don't think I ever completed GTA2.

However, everythign changed with Grand Theft Auto 3 which was amazing back in the day. I've played every GTA game now and it is a franchise that I will never ever tire of.

Just hope that next game sees a return to the 80s. lol

Not surprising for those who know, but historically GTA is not really my kind of game. :lol:

My introduction to the series was over a long weekend in subzero conditions with a couple of friends and not much to do. One of them had a copy of Vice City. I played for probably 12 hours straight, just cruising around stealing vehicles and such. I had enjoyed Driver for the similar free roam feel the cities had, and this seemed like a natural extension of that; with way more freedom. For the next year or so, my only exposure was occasionally playing Vice City aimlessly, with very little exposure to the actual storyline and gameplay.

The first GTA that I bought was San Andreas, in February 2005. I bought it at the same time as GT4 upon the latter's release. That game is still my favourite in regards to storyline, gameplay, and overall experience. IMO, San Andreas was much further ahead of its time upon release than any other GTA. I also consider that game the pinnacle for my personal game playing style, which is far more sim oriented than anything else. I could ramble on for hours, and days, about how I still lament the fact every time some new potential feature is discussed I can usually say "Yeah, they had that over a decade ago in San Andreas." I still feel that despite the huge indisputable leaps and bounds that have been made in gaming technology, and the use of that technology in modelling the most living and breathing environment of the series; there was still a lot more to do in San Andreas. For a player like me, that is(read: non-combat/leisure activities.)

My playing time with GTA IV was limited, as despite being intimately familiar with the region it did not appeal to me. I did not even buy IV until 2013, and played it for less than a month. Most of my time was spending hanging round Flushing Meadows. The lack of fixed wing aircraft totally killed the appeal of IV for me, and the perpetual March climate did the city no aesthetic favours. IV wasn't a game of signifcant leisure, nor did the environment capture my attention like San Andreas. I played San Andreas fairly regularly(as regular as an old game is played; put it down for weeks, pick it up for a bit, etc) right up until the release of V. I even played San Andreas a few times in the early days of V, and I can still appreciate that game for what it is.

I first played the original GTA when I was kid at a friends house after school. I had no idea what to do other than drive around. I didn't touch another GTA again until I was about 10 when another friend showed me GTA 3. From there, I loved the series and never looked back so for me GTA 3 is my first true game.

I'm surprised by how many people started with the original GTA. I don't know why I'm surprised, but I am.

Started with Vice City (PS2), then bought III before SA came out. After SA went to Liberty City Stories and VC stories but never really like the VC version. I tried IV (PS3) but couldn’t come to terms with the odd physics. V for PS3 then on PS4.

I did try II when it was a free download for PC

Started with Vice City (PS2), then bought III before SA came out. After SA went to Liberty City Stories and VC stories but never really like the VC version. I tried IV (PS3) but couldn’t come to terms with the odd physics. V for PS3 then on PS4.

This is exactly me minus the part about the physics in IV.

My first GTA game is probably GTA 3 or maybe GTA Vice City.
I actually played it at a such young age...like during kindergarten! Don't worry, I didn't go and murder peds all day long. I just drove cool cars and listened to cool music.

Then I started to do missions and other stuff few years later when I became a school student. I didn't understand all of the dialogue due to the mature nature and my lack of English at the time. Let's be honest, I learned more English from video games and other pop culture medias than actual English lessons.

The first GTA-game I played was the first one. A friend of mine had it on PC, and playing that was basically everything we did at his parents place.
I never cared for GTA II, but bought GTA III for PS2. After that, I’ve bought every single game for console (and still have the consoles and games). GTA V is the only game I’ve bought twice, both for PS3 and PS4.

GTA Vice City for me.

Fresh off buying a PS2 from my rents since my chipped PS1 died, cousins came over one weekend with a copy of GTA Vice City and got hooked, luckily they had save that had the storyline complete, I'd just always go to the dealer and drive around the Deluxo or that really fast Buick looking NASCAR. Once they caught on fire I'd typically get a wanted level and get wasted :lol:

I bought a copy of the game a couple weeks later and went through the story myself along with GTA III, and have bought every GTA since then and enjoyed them a lot.

My first GTA was San Andreas. I was a small boy, and all I did was drive around a bit, fly in helicopters, and play with a friend in the 2 players mode (I played the game on PS2). This is the game that I miss the most, along with Gran Turismo 3. Then I played GTA Vice City, where I did the same things. But this time, I would also do some missions. I liked the atmosphere of the game, which is why it’s one of my favourite GTAs. Then I played Vice City Stories, then Chinatown Wars, GTA III and Liberty City Stories, and then GTA IV. And this one was a special one. I loved the graphics, I loved the setting (I was obsessed with NYC at the time), I loved the physics, but I didn’t really care about the story. I was 10 at the time. Now, 5 years later, it has become my favourite GTA! I love the story, and it’s at the moment the only GTA story that I completed. Now I’m playing GTA V and the GTA IV expansions (most notably TBoGT).

I really need to play GTA San Andreas again. I’m really interested in the story mode. Another time...

I had the original GTA on ps1 as well as GTA London. Didnt play gta2 but from 3 onwards I played/completed them all except chinatown wars.

I had the original GTA on ps1 as well as GTA London. Didnt play gta2 but from 3 onwards I played/completed them all except chinatown wars.

unfortunately now I am working and I don't have much time to play...perhaps I will try chinatown wars...this christmas I will get the playstation 4 and perhaps the chinatown wars...to kill time in weekends

I actually played GTA III when I was about 7 or so. My dad had rented it from Movie Gallery when it was around, he mostly just wanted to try it but he let me play it more. I mostly just jumped the cars around. :lol:

The first one that I got to own though was San Andreas on the PS2, It took some convincing for my parents (Mostly my mother) to buy it for me since I was still a little too young but I understood more things.

GTA 2. I think it had subtitles with mubbled voiceovers. Maybe did a couple of missions and sold it. Wasn't great as a top down game.

2003 i went to America for Christmas with my family. While we were there, my uncles friend had GTA Vice city. I played it non stop while i was there.

Then for my 9th birthday, my dad bough me the double edition of GTA 3 And vice city boxset.

Been a fan ever since. 100% Every game that's been released since the 3d era

Back