your first hard drive..what size was it..

how big was your first hard drive

• 0-40MB

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • 40-80MB

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • 80-160MB

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • 160-250MB

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • 250-500MB

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • 500MB-1000MB

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • 1000MB-20,000MB

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • 20,000-500,000MB

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • even bigger.....

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
My first one I recall having was 20GB and it used to be on our old Windows XP computer from 2001, until we chunked it last year. I still have the hard drive though and I use it on my PS2 now. It's not much, but better than nothing!

I distinctly remember my dad being quite proud of the 40mb capacity of our old 486. Reasonably sure we moved to a comparatively massive 8.4GB WD Caviar for the next home PC (a Pentium II!). We got some cheap pre-built unit at a local store when I was in high school, yet I couldn't tell you a single thing about its specs.

The first system I bought for myself was a custom build when I went to university in 2004. That came with a smallish 120GB hard drive, which I just found not too long ago and moved to my current 4TB external.

My aunt's work used to sell off old equipment to their employees so she was able to get my mom a good deal. I'm fairly certain it only had something like 256mb or something like that. Some time later we bought my grandma's computer which had about 15GB.

I didn't have a decent computer until high school when I convinced my mom to upgrade by making her use the crappy computer.:lol:

The first system I bought for myself was a custom build when I went to university in 2004. That came with a smallish 120GB hard drive, which I just found not too long ago and moved to my current 4TB external.

I only have a 60 GB now in my pc...:eek:

I don't think I remember well, but it was small, the CPU was i386DX either 25 or 33MHz, had to play games from the diskette ( F1 and Prince of Persia, to name a few ), most probably less than 10MB and RAM may have been 1MB or 2MB, EGA monitor then I had VGA :P My next PC was i486DX2 66MHz, then Pentium 133MHz and goes on and on :lol:

My first desktop computer (IBM PCjr) didn't have a hard drive, just a single 5¼" floppy drive.

My second computer (IBM PS/2 Series 50) had the standard 20 MB hard drive. Physical backups of a 3½" floppy was never easier!

For the times and what I needed it to do...ironically, the only time I didn't reach the capacity limits of a hard drive.

Last edited:
I only have a 60 GB now in my pc...:eek:

The external is largely for work; graphic design stuff eats up a ton of space. It also helps for when I occasionally do video work for GTPlanet, since 1080P clips are hefty things. Between my girlfriend and I, we've also got more than enough music to fill your entire hard drive. :P

I figure I'll never fill up the 4TB, but it was barely more expensive than the smaller models.

Dad had a computer that his job lent him for about 6 months around 1996 while he worked on some project or something which we all messed around with a bit. It was one of those 486 Compaq Macintosh clones, almost certainly dragged kicking and screaming with upgrades into modern usability at the time since it was running Windows 95. Poking around says that it originally had a 212 MB hard drive, but I doubt that specific one did since I would think Windows 95 would chew almost all of that up.

Last edited:
Our first computer in the house was an IBM something. I was too young at the time to be able to identify anything about it now, but I bet its HDD was smaller than 50MB. A few years later my dad's office lent us a Macintosh, and my best guess would be maybe 250MB in that.

My first in-depth experiences on a computer were with a Pentium with Windows 95, which had two 1GB partitions, with 'D:' designated for games. When I played Final Fantasy VII on that, there wasn't much room for any other games! As for the first computer I bought myself, it was a 533MHz Celeron with a 20GB HDD.

My current laptop has a 1TB HDD, and I don't expect to ever fill it.

No solid recollections. Could give multiple answers, so I will:

School: Mentioned in the topic where we discuss our first (known) exposure to the Internet. iMac G3, third-fourth grade (so let's say 1999-2001 as a range), so anywhere from 4-10/20 GB.
Home: Whatever's behind the toybox holding up the powerstrip for the downstairs entertainment center. No idea what OS, probably XP. Let's say 10 GB.
Other Homes: Grandparents place, I still think they have the computer I was using when I visited while in elementary school. Love to say it was 98 or ME, haven't visited in like four years thereabouts, so I'm only gonna assume something in the single GB-range.
My own computers: 500 GB.....yeah, didn't buy my own until two years ago. Still have it despite dead pixel and the screen frame slowly spreading apart.

Currently using a 2TB HDD. Love it (not just for asserting my technical alpha male status in my home or anything :mischievous:)

We got a PC at home in 1996/1997 if I remember correctly.
A Pentium II 266MHz with a whopping 32MB of RAM, a 12MB videocard and a Quantum Fireball 4.3GB, now that I think about it I do believe I still have it.

I think my first was 40MB in an old beige Macintosh Performa, but the earliest that I remember for sure was a 1.5ish GB drive in a later model black Performa. It had a TV tuner in it and I tried to hook my Mega Drive II up so I could play while people wanted to watch TV, but it had a full second or more of latency. I had to revise my strategy.

Lots of old people here :D

Joke aside, my first HDD was 256mo on my olivetti laptop I got while doing the future of apprenticeship in switzerland (or what it was supposed to be). Got the laptop at the start of it in 1995.

Check this out from about 1989, a 40 MB hard drive..£499

:crazy:

40mb.jpg

Hard drive????? we didn't even have floppy drives
No no no, we used cassette tapes, and a black and white TV as monitor
And my Timex Sinclair only had 2kb of ram (no that is not a misprint, TWO kilobytes of system memory)

When I got into computers we had a Macintosh 128k. No hard drive, the OS booted off a 400KB 3.5 floppy. Next computer after that was a Mac performa with a 400 MB HDD.

When I got into computers we had a Macintosh 128k. No hard drive, the OS booted off a 400KB 3.5 floppy.

That was about the first computer I used on a regular basis. The first computer I ever owned personally was a Macintosh II, to which I added a Rodime internal hard drive.

It was a whopping 100 mB and cost $1100.

That was about the first computer I used on a regular basis. The first computer I ever owned personally was a Macintosh II, to which I added a Rodime internal hard drive.

It was a whopping 100 mB and cost $1100.
Both computers themselves were pretty price. The 128k we had gotten from my grandparents. I believe the cost was around $3000, back in the early 80s, the computer I could build today with that amount of money.... Yeesh!

Both computers themselves were pretty price. The 128k we had gotten from my grandparents. I believe the cost was around $3000, back in the early 80s, the computer I could build today with that amount of money.... Yeesh!

Yeah, the Mac II was the first color Mac, and all in it was well over $5000 with a 13" Trinitron color monitor. I actually just threw that machine away earlier this year.

Threw it away?! Did not still function? The 128k in good shape sells for nearly the same price now as it did new....

My first personal computer was a Compaq Presario running Windows XP and had a 200GB HDD, Athalon AMD 64 CPU, 512mb of memory. First one my family ever owned had Windows 95 back in the days of dial-up and Netscape, but I can't remember what the specs were.

Back