your first hard drive..what size was it..

how big was your first hard drive

• 0-40MB

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • 40-80MB

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • 80-160MB

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • 160-250MB

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • 250-500MB

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • 500MB-1000MB

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • 1000MB-20,000MB

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • 20,000-500,000MB

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • even bigger.....

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
First computers I ever used were tape drive, though those were relics, even then, because we already had floppy equipped Apple ][e units.

First "working" computer was either an 8086 or an 80286 running Ventura Publishing, way back when. Doing layout art for my Dad during my off-hours from school. :D So I'm pretty sure my first "hard drive" was around 20MB or so.

Yee! Tape drives aye? We still use those for data warehousing. 4 large machines, 2 in each of our data centers, and an entire room dedicated to housing the full tapes in one of them...
Speaking of such things... Anyone remember those old Jaz drives? Those sure didn't catch on.

...it was running Windows 95. Poking around says that it originally had a 212 MB hard drive, but I doubt that specific one did since I would think Windows 95 would chew almost all of that up.

I think most installs of Windows 95 took up roughly 120-140MB of free space. You could pare it down to 90-100MB if you later deleted applications (and pics, instructional videos, help files) you were not planning on using.

Yee! Tape drives aye? We still use those for data warehousing. 4 large machines, 2 in each of our data centers, and an entire room dedicated to housing the full tapes in one of them...
Speaking of such things... Anyone remember those old Jaz drives? Those sure didn't catch on.

Had to admit, had to look them up. I vaguely recall them being promoted as the next big thing, but they were just too damn expensive.

I think most installs of Windows 95 took up roughly 120-140MB of free space. You could pare it down to 90-100MB if you later deleted applications (and pics, instructional videos, help files) you were not planning on using.

Windows, when we started porting over, was always a pain in the arse. Never left very much space for anything besides itself. And always a resource hog.

Had to admit, had to look them up. I vaguely recall them being promoted as the next big thing, but they were just too damn expensive.
That's why I never got one, although I was tempted. Not only was the drive itself expensive, so was the media. That was the deal-breaker for me.

First PC I remember had Windows 95 so from the estimates given in this thread I'd be in the 250-400 range.

My first PC or a laptop rather was a Compaq Evo N160 back in 2003. It ran on Windows 2000 Professional and had a 20GB HDD. It was a fantastic machine during its time but yeah, even my phone is bigger than that :lol:

The first one that I actually brought was a 1TB one. The first I used though was like maybe 4GB at the most.

I think I fried the first drive in a computer I got off my grandad by pressing the power button very fast repeatedly( I was like 6 or 7 at the time and it was a bag of 🤬 33Mhz, 8MB RAM) don't remember the size, but the next one I got was about 8.5GB lol back in about year 2000.

First computer that I actually bought with my own money, I think 500mb. First computer I ever used, probably no hard drive at all if I remember.

Amstrad CPC6128, 128 KB of RAM, built-in disk drive and coloured monitor. Games: Sorcery plus, Ikary Warriors, Knight Lore, Chase H.Q., Sky Hunter, Sabre Wulf and Jet Set Willy. Christmas 1984.

My first computer was an Amstrad CPC464, I don't think it had a proper hard drive but it had I think 512kb memory. I had that for ages, Chase H.Q. one of the highlights of my old games collection, also had Afterburner and Ghouls and Ghosts, loved those games.

My second computer had a huge 500mb hard drive and mega 2mb RAM.

A far cry from the 4.25TB I have in my current laptop that's for sure.

My very first hard drive I believe was, 35mb? I could fit a few pictures, maybe 5 songs , if it decided to download within the span of the week, if my dial up didn't get interrupted also.

First hard drive I encountered: 40 GB on a Windows Vista touchscreen laptop. Man, that thing sucked.

My first personal HDD was a 4GB internal one on my Xbox 360. That one got a 500GB hard drive added later.

My Xbox One is 320 GB and has a 2 TB external in it.

I got my first PC in 2007. The 160GB hard drive it came with is still working flawlessly, though it's a little loud when it starts spinning. I keep all my music on it though, so it's still useful.

The first PC I remember using was my dad's laptop with a 20GB drive. It played flash games though! What more could you want? :lol:

20 GB's to 120 GB's I had a old Windows XP and Vista machine that I gave to someone because I built the current PC that I have now in 2014, though. Vista's OS just attracts viruses from when I was a bit young. That malware is lethal though.

Latest Posts

Back