Your internet connection?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jordan
  • 2,008 comments
  • 248,418 views

Your connection?

  • T1, T3, OC-12, OC-48, or faster :D

    Votes: 203 19.6%
  • Cable modem

    Votes: 420 40.5%
  • DSL

    Votes: 346 33.3%
  • Dial-up modem (56k or slower)

    Votes: 69 6.6%

  • Total voters
    1,038
I'm going to try to get a better one, my friend down the street just got 5ms ping. I need to defeat him.

If you have 2 pc's, try it with the external desktop feature, if you use windows, for some strange reason everything is faster that way..
 
If you have 2 pc's, try it with the external desktop feature, if you use windows, for some strange reason everything is faster that way..

The what? :crazy:

I have a windows laptop, but my main computer is a Mac.
 
People can no longer say internet in Australia sucks.

1396199404.png


Ohhh yeeaaaa.
 
People can no longer say internet in Australia sucks.

1396199404.png


Ohhh yeeaaaa.
That still makes you slower than hundreds of thousands of other Australians according to speedtest. They must have super internet. It must be marking you down for upload speed.
 
They can still say the upload sucks though.
 
I hate some of you. :lol:

I need T1 or something. The speed I'm getting now isn't even one-third of what Casio gets.


 
That still makes you slower than hundreds of thousands of other Australians according to speedtest. They must have super internet. It must be marking you down for upload speed.

....98% of Australians don't have his speed.

There's only 2% of people in Australia who could have the same connection or better than him.

I am going to assume that the real figures of someone having a better connection than that one, in Australia, would be pretty small, smaller than the "hundreds of thousands". Of course, we hope that they don't include businesses running secret internet lines that goes into the gigabits ranges....
 
Yeah, I was being kinda facetious. Internet in Australia does suck for most people. But I happen to have got lucky and moved to the right area, and am paying the right money for it. Speedtest doesn't differentiate businesses (When I worked at a uni, we had 10Gbps Fibre lines), so on my estimate their are probably about only 50,000 residential properties with similar or better internet speed than me. Which is great for me, but sucks for everyone else, not unusually to peak at 1Mbps for many people.
 
....98% of Australians don't have his speed.

There's only 2% of people in Australia who could have the same connection or better than him.

I am going to assume that the real figures of someone having a better connection than that one, in Australia, would be pretty small, smaller than the "hundreds of thousands". Of course, we hope that they don't include businesses running secret internet lines that goes into the gigabits ranges....

22,657,856 current population. 2% is about say 450,000 people. Hundreds of thousands.....
 
Received my new WiFi modem/router from my ISP yesterday. :) The old modem did not support the new upgraded speeds for my contract, so they sent me a new one. Speed/ping was measured over WiFi, not cabled. :D




 
Last edited:
Cable, its amazingly fast!!! When I download stuff from high speed FTP's it downloads at 7MB per second!(yes that is megabytes per second ;) ) I love my ISP!!!
 
1402463985.png


44196990.png


It might not be that fast, but it does the job well.
 
Here is my mothers internet.. (Its fiber optic)




EDIT: On our NETGEAR modem I got these speeds!




Intresting 💡
 
Last edited:



:indiff:

EDIT: And that's still faster than 59% of Australia. I need a new country :dopey:
 
Last edited:
OMG!! The worst pingtest i ever saw:scared:
 
You use a mobile broadband?
 
I do as well. Really, really horrible.
 
Im blessed with decent mobile internet. Still crap though.
 
Oh... so that explains it... 💡
 
Oh I hate AT&T.



At least it's a +, right? I thought DSL was, you know, good?
 
1455221330.png


That's pretty bad. Not as bad as crispychicken though.
 
1463895539.png


Finally switched to VDSL. Coming from a 2.8mbps ADSL connection, I'm very happy with these results.
 
1465444514.png

Awful. I know. GT5 still works with it though, so it is good enough.
 
Back