Votes: 197 19.1%
  • Cable modem

Votes: 419 40.6%
  • DSL

Votes: 346 33.6%
  • Dial-up modem (56k or slower)

Votes: 69 6.7%

• Total voters
Yeah, I'd been looking at the Asus mesh as a replacement for the Airport. We need multiple APs not because we live in some kind of mansion, but there's something weird about the construction that constrains the signal. For that reason, I would also pretty much insist on ethernet backhaul. And there's a good amount of CAT5 in the house, so may as well make use of that and allow the WiFi to be focussed on the client devices.

I've been looking at some barebones fanless devices like this HUNSN RS34g onto which I would install pfSense firewall. That would give me the capability to process up to 2.5Gb traffic. I think that as symmetric Gb broadband rolls out across the UK it should push down the price of the 200-300Mb services, which may prompt an upgrade.

But, to be honest, what we have at the minute is definitely in the "good enough" category, so I may well leave it as-is for a couple of years yet.

Yeah, I'm kind of surprised ethernet backhaul seems to be a somewhat niche feature for mesh systems, especially considering the price they're asking for most of the popular systems.

I'd love to tinker with a custom pfSense box (I also considered a Firewalla Purple), but I have to be careful because I know I would tinker with it forever. :D It also seems difficult for me to justify such a device unless I'm going all-in on more serious standalone hardware, like Ubiquiti APs or something, in my small and simple network.

We finally have a wired connection to the house and have VDSL FTTC connection via IDNet.

5944F80A-66A8-4B1B-81A6-AFFF8ACA49DF.jpeg

That test is from the iPhone

Last edited:
Well, what I'm paying for just got upgraded to 250/25Mbps.

1667577657354.png

It occurred to me earlier that since I joined my ISP back in 1999/2000 on 512Kbps I've never actually even once applied to have my speed upgraded. It's just happened.

Last edited:
I got upgraded a few weeks ago, I'm paying for 500Mb so not that bad and it's basically the same price as my old package. I think it's a bit faster than this sometimes but it seems I have trouble finding fast servers in my area that can actually max out the connection. It's a massive step up from the 54Mb connection I used to have, I downloaded Dirt Rally 2.0 (over 100GB) in less than an hour.

Edit: just noticed my upload is pretty... nice :lol:
13906649404.png

Last edited:
speed.JPG

Certainly seems like CenturyLink neutered my connection after I called to cancel (not that it was ever great).

Will be switching to 400MBPS internet in March, that day can't come soon enough.

Last edited:
I'm paying for 350 so I'm pleased with this.

1676108303929.png

The only time I feel my download speeds are slow are when the provider is throttling it (yes Steam, I'm looking at you!).

Will be switching to 400MBPS internet in March, that day can't come soon enough.

Yeah I'm not waiting that long, just set up Xfinity service (also switching to Xfinity mobile since I can save a few bucks and desperately needed a new phone anyways) so hopefully I will have actual good service by the end of the weekend. I do hate the fact I'll be paying for 2 internet providers for a couple weeks, but I just can't deal with this anymore...

really....JPG

Figured I would post an update, not as fast as it could be (paying for 400mbps which I do get on other devices) as I'm currently relying on WiFi which my computer apparently hates but until I can get an ethernet cable ran this will work.

better.JPG

It's so nice to be able to download something on Steam and stream something at the same time.

We just got a new provider in our area so I upgraded from a 21Mbps connection for £47 a month to 1000Mbps for £30 a month. This was on wifi on the first day before the router had updated, it's got a little faster since then. It's nice to finally be able to download game updates in minutes rather than hours!

RSn7lG.jpg

Last edited:
We just got a new provider in our area so I upgraded from a 21Mbps connection for £47 a month to 1000Mbps for £30 a month. This was on wifi on the first day before the router had updated, it's got a little faster since then. It's nice to finally be able to download game updates in minutes rather than hours!

RSn7lG.jpg

City Fibre and Openreach have been in the village for the last month digging and laying new cables for FTTH/FTTP connections. I've put my name down with ISP for updates as soon as I can get it in. Hopefully we'll have similar connection in the next few months.

City Fibre and Openreach have been in the village for the last month digging and laying new cables for FTTH/FTTP connections. I've put my name down with ISP for updates as soon as I can get it in. Hopefully we'll have similar connection in the next few months.
We used YouFibre so they wired everything up using overhead cables rather than underground which was quite nice, it's a lot less disruptive. The only downside is that it means we had to have a cable attached directly to the house via a new anchor point and wires running down the outside to the box on the external wall. Luckily the internal installation was super clean and tidy.

We used YouFibre so they wired everything up using overhead cables rather than underground which was quite nice, it's a lot less disruptive. The only downside is that it means we had to have a cable attached directly to the house via a new anchor point and wires running down the outside to the box on the external wall. Luckily the internal installation was super clean and tidy.
Yeh, that’s exactly what they’ll do here. Annoyingly we have two copper lines coming to the house. An old one which the previous owner snipped off just as it comes into the house and the main one which comes down the opposite side and into the coal hatch into the cellar, then up into the living room through the floor.

We’ve just had City Fibre out today handing out leaflets, however I don’t think IDNet use City Fibre but are an Openreach reseller instead.

Wow back in March work started and now we have FTTP in the village.

I’ve just placed an order for the upgrade from my

SOGEA 80/20 to the 100/20 FTTP

I’m hoping this goes nice and smooth and my TP Link Deco can work, from what I know it’s just a matter of plugging into one of the WAN/LAN Ports and putting it into Router only mode. Finger crossed, I’d hate to have to buy a new Router, the wife would kill me. 👍🏻

Well we now have FTTP 100/20 connection.

£1 per month more but around twice as fast.

IMG_9820.jpeg

Last edited:
We are using Fiber Optics internet. We had a technician install it in June. We have to pay $60 a month. But it's worth the expense to get fast internet in which you can do anything at a quick rate.

We are using Fiber Optics internet. We had a technician install it in June. We have to pay $60 a month. But it's worth the expense to get fast internet in which you can do anything at a quick rate.
Must admit, I was sceptical about its ability over the copper line. However fiber is different gravy. I know it’s not a 1gig connection but going from 53Mbs and a 32ms ping to 108Mbs and a 17ms ping is really nice.

Plus that’s over WiFi on my iPhone X. I have the PS5 and Apple TV hardwired so they will be a little quicker slightly lower ping.

I’m on a 12 month contract so depending on what prices are next year I may just have to up it to 1 gig.

Must admit, I was sceptical about its ability over the copper line. However fiber is different gravy. I know it’s not a 1gig connection but going from 53Mbs and a 32ms ping to 108Mbs and a 17ms ping is really nice.

Plus that’s over WiFi on my iPhone X. I have the PS5 and Apple TV hardwired so they will be a little quicker slightly lower ping.

I’m on a 12 month contract so depending on what prices are next year I may just have to up it to 1 gig.
Looks like you have a great deal too. The name of the company we deal with is Brightspeed, if you ever want to join or are interested. If not, just stick with what works for you.

Looks like you have a great deal too. The name of the company we deal with is Brightspeed, if you ever want to join or are interested. If not, just stick with what works for you.
I’m in the UK so Brightspeed aren’t an ISP we can use.

IDnet have been fantastic to us and also my parents for the years we’ve used them. They’re not the cheapest but the customer service is excellent and they’re on any issues straight away.

My 100/20 is equivalent to $53 in the states. So quite expensive, but we need the support due to working from home full time.

I’m in the UK so Brightspeed aren’t an ISP we can use.

IDnet have been fantastic to us and also my parents for the years we’ve used them. They’re not the cheapest but the customer service is excellent and they’re on any issues straight away.

My 100/20 is equivalent to $53 in the states. So quite expensive, but we need the support due to working from home full time.
That's cool, I'm from the U.S. in North Carolina. What part of the UK are in living at?

Back