Votes: 419 40.6%
  • DSL

Votes: 346 33.6%
  • Dial-up modem (56k or slower)

Votes: 69 6.7%

• Total voters
Hah.
7783418188.png

My internet connection is hopeless. I'm fighting my internet provider for years because they want to **** me over every freaking time. They use cheap chinese routers and they fail very often, they could use superspeed cables but they are a bit expensive to build so they don't use it even though there is a high speed line near the residental district where I live. They lied me several times what kind of service I have and what is in it. My internet connection isn't really stable at all, when it is even works and when I call for service they often send a clueless servicemen who I think failed at their school in the first place, does nothing (basicly he uses speedtest and checks the internet on the computer). When he comes misteriously the internet is working fine again for him, when he leaves it is **** again.
So why can't I change? Because the other company who tried to provide internet for me before them couldn't even support multiple devices! In my country most of the companies are constantly want to screw you over and the only thing they fear is the Authority for Consumer Protection.

When it works it isn't the slowest in the world, if it works at all!

7954899234.png

Second test after several minutes:

7954904369.png

Sometimes it is around 1 Mbps for hours shown in the control panel!

Last edited:
They use cheap chinese routers and they fail very often
Looks like you're in Hungary? If so, I'd order a new router from amazon.de.

If you need multiple devices connected, either buy a switch or a wireless router. Or if you're like me, both. :P

New speeds. Gigabit, kind of. Still working out what I need to do to get better speeds without running a Cat6 cable downstairs and tripping everyone...

8302036201.png

This is a bit of a conundrum however because what you're seeing here is my PC using my phone as a virtual LAN port. Through the powerline and ethernet cable connected to the actual LAN port, I get...well, nothing close to this. :odd:

I've had AT&T 1gb high speed service now for about 3 years and I've been very pleased with it. They came in and ran a whole underground fiber network for our apartment complex. I moved into a different apartment in my same building about 2 months ago and dealing with their customer service to get that scheduled was a nightmare. Since I was moving I thought I might look at bundling my internet and cable with AT&T but they don't offer the NFL Channel and NFL RedZone Channels so that killed that idea.

My cable is through WOW. They used to have US based customer service but now they've subbed it out overseas. It took me 52 minutes on the phone to schedule to get that service moved because they told me I couldn't move my service unless I upgraded my package since I was still on the agreement I had since 2011 when I moved in the old apartment. So that took up a huge amount of time arguing that issue with them. Plus they said we will give you cable and internet for this price and I kept telling them I don't need internet since I already have it with AT&T. They said this is the only thing they could do for me and I just wouldn't have to get internet installed. So I said ok just as long as the technician didn't show up thinking he was installing internet and they assured me that wouldn't happen. Long story short, moving day comes, technician shows up and says "I see we're moving your cable tv and installing internet service." So that took nearly two hours of him on the phone back and forth to his supervisors to get that cleared up.

Now about 3 weeks ago I get an email from the complex management that Xfinity will soon be available. They're laying the trench work right now so it should be in a few weeks. As long as I can get AT&T speeds with Xfinity I'll probably bundle tv and internet with them since WOW is on the expensive side with just tv alone.

I asked the management if Xfinity were laying a fiber network like AT&T did and they said yes but I don't know if that's true or not because even though Xfinity advertises 1gb availability, I don't know if that is through traditional cable means or do they have fiber capabilities.

Anyone have Xfinity 1gb internet service?

I still don't have a fixed line. I've turned to a 4G connection via my mobile phone contract using my mobile hotspot as the point of connection.

currently I get this...

Screenshot 2019-09-01 at 17.03.09.png

I could go fixed line but at £20 per month for my contract which is unlimited everything inc Hotspot I have no need.

Not too shabby especially considering I live in the country (for now) and have a lot of people living around me (living in an upscale mobile home community). I usually get 20-22MB/s on Steam downloads. :D

Capture_SpeedTest.PNG

Did a random speed test a few minutes ago and got a download speed in the 3 figures...

8639300079.png

We logged onto our account on the Comcast website to determine whether or not this test was a fluke, and lo and behold, it seems like they jumped us up from 65 mbps to 100 mbps (for free, bill still remains the same).

Got asked to do something at work that I shouldn't have needed to do, had to take a 100M switch out of a conference room to do it so to replace the switch, I replaced the one at my desk (also 100M) instead and move the one at my desk to the conference room.

Before:

8678953414.png

After:

8678969569.png

Bonus, it's a POE switch so I can work on my camera, which I couldn't do before.

That was with me using my phone as a makeshift adapter. This is with an actual adapter:

Highly unlikely to see the full Gbit over Wi-Fi, but I'm getting closer. Highest I've seen (using Fast.com) was 610 Mbps.

great thread wow i want some of your speeds please wow 800+ mb download WOW, im on NBN now australia and before that i had ADSL so the whole time i had adsl i was lucky to get UPTO 5 Mb/s and i had 3 months during my time period on Adsl it was down and very very slow, un usable, now i have NBN love it get arond 50 mb/s and games do not take 3-6 days to download and when i download apps on my phone it is done within seconds not 10 minutes or so love it, and both my consoles PS4 Pro and Xbox one X are hard wired into the modem its self :) much happier now. FYI the guy who installed my NBN said i could have had Telstra cable as the cable is here already but we got told all we could go was optus and adsl in my area and unit block, have to go optus not telstra, but anyway does not matter now :) Wish we had 500+ mb wow

Had an upgrade today. Went from ~30Mbps to ~115Mbps.

Upload stayed around the same ~15Mbps.
15 Mbps or MBps? Generally ISP is labeled as Mbps, but you're download speeds will show as MBps. Further, the servers your downloading from may likely have a speed cap, especially right now with most of the world under some sort of quarantine.

15 Mbps or MBps? Generally ISP is labeled as Mbps, but you're download speeds will show as MBps. Further, the servers your downloading from may likely have a speed cap, especially right now with most of the world under some sort of quarantine.

According to my ISP, and the Ookla speed test, it is Mbps. I don't know the difference, I am not a computer guy.

Just ran the speed test again, and it is the same as it was when I upgraded before all this quarantine/isolation stuff began.

According to my ISP, and the Ookla speed test, it is Mbps. I don't know the difference, I am not a computer guy.

Just ran the speed test again, and it is the same as it was when I upgraded before all this quarantine/isolation stuff began.
Ahh, using the speedtest.net. see if picking a different location helps. I know if I pick a comcast site (when I was on comcast) ibwould get faster speeds on a speed test than when I picked something like the MSU campuses speed test site.
As for Mb vs MB. The difference is bit and Byte. There are 8 bits in a byte. ISP's sell by Megabits per second. Excluding speedtests which want their data to reflect the numbers you'd see from the ISP, when you download something, its generally in MegaBytes per second.
So, if you have a 100Mbps ISP service, you should see download speeds at around 12MBps. The thing is, when you are paying for services 100Mbps, typically your not going to see an actual improvement over, say, 50, or 75 Mbps, simply because streaming will only use about 10 Mbps, and most places you are downloads things like games from, will have a bandwidth cap at something like 10-15 MBps. Where higher bandwidth speeds really come in to play is either Peer to Peer downloading where you can pull from several different seeds, or when you live in a house with other people streaming/downloading/gaming etc.

Ahh, using the speedtest.net. see if picking a different location helps. I know if I pick a comcast site (when I was on comcast) ibwould get faster speeds on a speed test than when I picked something like the MSU campuses speed test site.
As for Mb vs MB. The difference is bit and Byte. There are 8 bits in a byte. ISP's sell by Megabits per second. Excluding speedtests which want their data to reflect the numbers you'd see from the ISP, when you download something, its generally in MegaBytes per second.
So, if you have a 100Mbps ISP service, you should see download speeds at around 12MBps. The thing is, when you are paying for services 100Mbps, typically your not going to see an actual improvement over, say, 50, or 75 Mbps, simply because streaming will only use about 10 Mbps, and most places you are downloads things like games from, will have a bandwidth cap at something like 10-15 MBps. Where higher bandwidth speeds really come in to play is either Peer to Peer downloading where you can pull from several different seeds, or when you live in a house with other people streaming/downloading/gaming etc.

All I know is that my internet is running faster and smoother than ever. I'm happy with it.

I don't do gaming. The most demanding thing I'll do on the internet is YouTube videos.

I've had AT&T 1gb high speed service now for about 3 years and I've been very pleased with it. They came in and ran a whole underground fiber network for our apartment complex. I moved into a different apartment in my same building about 2 months ago and dealing with their customer service to get that scheduled was a nightmare. Since I was moving I thought I might look at bundling my internet and cable with AT&T but they don't offer the NFL Channel and NFL RedZone Channels so that killed that idea.

My cable is through WOW. They used to have US based customer service but now they've subbed it out overseas. It took me 52 minutes on the phone to schedule to get that service moved because they told me I couldn't move my service unless I upgraded my package since I was still on the agreement I had since 2011 when I moved in the old apartment. So that took up a huge amount of time arguing that issue with them. Plus they said we will give you cable and internet for this price and I kept telling them I don't need internet since I already have it with AT&T. They said this is the only thing they could do for me and I just wouldn't have to get internet installed. So I said ok just as long as the technician didn't show up thinking he was installing internet and they assured me that wouldn't happen. Long story short, moving day comes, technician shows up and says "I see we're moving your cable tv and installing internet service." So that took nearly two hours of him on the phone back and forth to his supervisors to get that cleared up.

Now about 3 weeks ago I get an email from the complex management that Xfinity will soon be available. They're laying the trench work right now so it should be in a few weeks. As long as I can get AT&T speeds with Xfinity I'll probably bundle tv and internet with them since WOW is on the expensive side with just tv alone.

I asked the management if Xfinity were laying a fiber network like AT&T did and they said yes but I don't know if that's true or not because even though Xfinity advertises 1gb availability, I don't know if that is through traditional cable means or do they have fiber capabilities.

Anyone have Xfinity 1gb internet service?

Long time AT&T customer 20 plus years. Started to leave their services starting with 5 years ago or so. Switching internet to COX and then last year cell phone plan to Sprint. Spent a few months and several unnecessary hours trying to dispute "apparently last AT&T" cell bill. Refused to pay for several months. Some months bill would show up as $90 and some months at $0. Even told on phone by at least two customers service reps that was $0. After months of this finally decided was not worth my time anymore and paid the $90.

Long story short they permently lost a customer that had been with them for 20 plus years. Recommend avoiding AT&T.

Back