Your latest race!

• Thread starter Jav
  • 676 comments

Jav

United States
OrlandoFL GMT-5
GTP__Jav
Hey guys! we have this on the official forums so I just thought I'd copy them and do it here! So let's use this thread to talk about our latest races and discuss strategies, overall racecraft and simply vent your frustration and rant about that loonie that ruined yur race!

Prototype/GT Fixed series Road America Week 2 Season 3:

So my 2nd race of the season and to everyone's surprise the GTs outnumbered the LMPs, with only 32 entries the session didn't split so we ended up on the top split. With this beign the first race of the week there's no quali and we get gridded by iRating, so as soon as I look as the grid and see the guys running the Vette and starting 8th I automatically know my best strategy is to just survive. Race starts and I leave a bit of a gap between me and the car in front in anticipation to T1.
Green green green says the spotter and we're racing! We all brake early to avoid carnage and go by 3 LMPs that had already gone off in turn 1, my strategy had put me in a great place for T2 as I could pick my lane after T1, so going into T2 I take 2 guys and by the end of the first lap I take another one bringing me up to 5th.
As the race goes on I'm battling the guy in front and defending from the guy behind and at about lap 4 there's already cassualties and I start climbing up the leaderboard, by lap 6 I'm in 2nd and making up time on the leader! I had raced with him before so I know he can be trusted to have a good race, I'm faster than him almost everywhere but not enough to get past... exept for the run to Canada corner where I was right up in his bumper and braking early so i already know where I'm making my move.
Lap 8 and the lap goes the same, I test again on the run to Canada corner without showing my hand. Lap 9, I make sure to stay on him without setting him into deffenseive mode. We are on the run to Canada corner and I'm on his bumper, apex early into the turn after the kink and set myself for an inside pass the spotter warns me and we're braking side by side! He knows the apex is mine and leaves me enough room to exit the corner cleanly! So I got a good exit, punched it and make the move stick! From here on I know I need to put a gap between us so I push and put 2 seconds between the 2 of us!
But it's not over yet, here comes the LMPs! Luckily this is the top split and the guys know what they're doing, they get past with no drama and no time lost. The gap stays the same and we race on, but trouble manages to find us as 2 LMP drivers decided to do a Corvette's race on an LMP car. Lap 11 and one of them spins right in front of me forcing me to go off on T5 and brings second place right to my bumper, I keep focused on the road ahead and manage to put half a second between us... but then right as we are turning on the carrousel a lapped Vette is collected by the other LMP right in front of us, once again I take it to the grass on the inside and hold it! The gap grows now to 3 seconds and I can breathe!
Lap 12 and the white flag flies, I stay focused in just finishing one more lap no matter how many incidents or scares it takes I race on and come home to take the chekered flag and a pretty exiting win! Cool down lap and the second place finisher follows me back into the pits, timer expires and I stop on the start finish line and hell yeah!! Doughnut time!!!

Hope I'm not boring you guys with this lame story. So... how did your last race go!!?

http://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/EventResult.do?&subsessionid=6197623&custid=68646

Last edited:
Good idea Jav! Should help clean up the big iRacing thread. Sounds like a great race.

I'll have a go.

My latest race was in the Mazda Cup, Okayama Short. I've seen too much go wrong on the first lap, in the first corner and also through the esses that shortcut the long course so I held back and watched those in front of me. I started fifth but drop two or three places and watch the mayhem unfold, except it didn't, well not really anyway.

I can see the body language of the cars in front of me, pushing hard on cold tyres and not looking overly convincing in their control of the car, I dispatch two of them on the front straight and the final on the back straight.

I had a good battle with 4th with him dropping tenths every now and again till I was on top of him, we duke it out a little before I pull out alongside him on the main straight and then making it stick into the first corner with the inside line.

The race was fairly regulation for many of the laps, lapping one or two cars who must have had problems in the race behind me.

But oh no, I take a liberty with the inside of the exit of the esses shortcut and incur a black flag which puts the guy I was racing earlier right back on my tail and then quickly going into Turn 4, however I keep on him and get the place back. I found out later he was having some problems with gearing, being used to the Cup rather then the Roadster he was driving.

I thought this would be the end of it but no. Position #3 looked like he had a hardware issue all but removing the advantage he had over me, with two laps to go I was on it. He looked like he had 3rd sealed but some erratic driving put me within 0.2 and right on his bumper.

He held a defensive line going into Turn 4 but out braked himself, I knew that inside line well enough and I dived on it, this was bonzai stuff but we kept it clean, he tried to return the favor going into turn 5 showing his nose but he knew it wasn't going to happen, he kept on me though showing his nose through the kink leading up to the final corner, tapping me for a x0 and a little slide for me, he also ruined his turn into the final corner giving way to the guy behind me as well.

Intense battle on the last lap for 3rd 4th and 5th, insane.

Hopefully I didn't bore you too much :scared:

Oh man! I hate it when people just can't keep it clean! Yes it is a 0x but at the end it cost you 1 possition and 2 for him! People need o practice more and not just set fast lap but prectice following cars very closely, know the limits and know your car's dimentions!
Good race Camry, should've been a better result but a good race indeed!

Did some races to test some cars/tracks, just to drive easy whit care. In the rookie league it worked pretty well. zero INC.

Then i did tried the Mustang on Road America. but after corner 3 a car gone to deep and i spun out. Just standing on the sideline a backmarker ofcourse plows into me. i almost couldn't make it to the pit. Comming out the pit again i was a bit furious about what happent and i did brake to late sending me off. Didn't hit anything but when i got my car in reverse i hit the berrier a little, i gained a lost of controll. I just pressed on tow and got outside to cool down. came back to do a few laps to save some SR. Such races makes me unhappy.

But Road Atlanta is a awesome track, don't like the brakes on that Mustang though.

Last edited:
Jav
Oh man! I hate it when people just can't keep it clean! Yes it is a 0x but at the end it cost you 1 possition and 2 for him! People need o practice more and not just set fast lap but prectice following cars very closely, know the limits and know your car's dimentions!
Good race Camry, should've been a better result but a good race indeed!

I agree. i only raced "on the limit" for maybe 4 out of 35 races. First i take the car for some practise when i am a bit used to the car i bring it on the circuit for a race. the first races i will do it easy but that not always mean i can keep it clean.

I only go on the limit if i am 100% confident whit the car and really now the circuit.

I am testing the Riley mkxx now. But i can't do 3 fast laps in a row before i make a mistake. So i simply do not take it on track now for a race.

Last edited:
Some people just get blinded with rage after they spin/go off and will want to immediately get back on track without even looking at the F3 box! That's why we need to look as far ahead as possible at all times and just have very good situational awareness. It's not only a good deffensive toll but also can be used in your favor to get good results!

I had a terrible race last night in the Skippy at Brands Hatch. This is my first season in the Skippy and last week at Watkins Glen I actually had a really good race and finished 4th

I had spent about 4 hours over the last few days getting comfortable with the course. On Wednesday night I did a qualifying session with 0 incidents and managed a time of 1:43.2. I felt reasonably comfortable with the track and my ability to race on it incident free.

I entered the 3:45 GMT race last night and was 4th on the grid. I had a good start and held my position for the entire first lap. There were a couple of non-qualifiers behind me who were obviously faster. They passed me on the second lap without incident. I managed to hold my position for a few laps in number 6 and was feeling OK

On about the 6th or 7th lap I had a minor off and let a couple drivers by. I was a little faster then them and was gaining about 1 sec per lap and was about 5-7 seconds behind. I thought I could close the gap by the end of the race and finish in the top half of the racers.

Somehow from that point on I proceeded to make a mistake almost every lap. I spun at Graham Hill corner twice. I went off track at Westfield Bend once and went off or spun at a couple other spots. I think as the race went on I lost more and more of my confidence and just seemed to be fighting the car.

On the second last lap I went off and let a slower driver by. I came back on track 2 seconds behind. I thought here's my chance to at least get a little bit of racing in. I closed the gap to about .5 seconds. I had a much better line on the final corner so was neck and neck with him just past the start finish line. I was used to taking the first corner from the outside, but now was passing on the inside. When I hit the brakes I locked up. I was likely amped up at the time and pushing on the brake too hard. I ended up taking out the other driver. It was actually quite a magnificent crash. I think he barrel rolled about 5 times going down the hill. (Would have made really good highlites). I felt terrible at this point. I had sustained some damage, but was able to limp home in 2nd gear. The car was a bit hard to drive, so I think I went off track a couple more times getting it back to the finishing line.

By the time it was all said and done I had racked up 10 incidents and lost 0.10 SR. I lost about 30 iRating. Worst of all I absolutely ruined some poor fellow iRacer's race on the first corner of the last lap.

This track and car combination is quite finnicky. It feels like I really need to be in a rhythm to drive well. It usually takes me about 15-30 mins of driving before I feel comfortable and confident. During that warm up time I often spin out or go off track almost every lap. Once I'm warmed up though I can do 15 laps straight with decent times and no incidents. I did about 20 minutes of warm up last night and felt like I was in the groove and I seemed to be on the first few laps. Once I got out of the groove I just couldn't find my way back in it. I also seemed to get easily distracted by the other cars on track. It seems like this track requires more concentration then Watkins and I need to work on my focus in traffic. Maybe I'll try a practice session tonight and try a race again later this weekend

Still loving Star Mazda and this week is Lagnua Seca. Now I've driven Laguna a lot in Gran Turismo and its a track I really like and go well at. Good thing GT and iRacing are pretty close with the modelling of this track!
Pretty much all of my brake points and lines carried over from GT and I was on the pace almost immediately. Practiced for about an hour and got my laptimes down to around 1'22.5 (the fastest drivers seem to be hitting 1'19).
Did 30 minutes of qualifying and managed a 1'22.5 again.
This put me 7th on the grid in the race. Got a decent start but didn't make up any positions till turn 1, where I had the inside on 6th place.
Then going into turn 2 the 3 cars ahead of me all held each other up fighting each other so I neatly weaved between them to get up to 4th close behind 3rd.
I then followed 3rd for about 4 or 5 laps and dispatched him with a move into turn 2 after getting a better drive out of 1.
2nd place then made a mistake so I then ran 2nd for most of the race till lap 22 (out of 28) where I had a small spin. Dropped back to 3rd, defended against 4th and then pretty much just tried to catch 2nd again till the end.

All in all I'm actually surprised how easy that was. I had similar races at Brands Hatch last week but I had assumed that had was down to people not being used to Brands as its a track that doesn't always appear in other series. But Laguna is a frequent track back to Rookie so I assumed people would be quicker.
It seems people are good at running qualifying laptimes but are really really slow in races. I've read some people saying they are saving their tyres at the start of the race but I've not really experienced much tyre wear? I seem to be constantly gaining places in the first few laps and keeping up with drivers who qualified 0.5-1 second faster than me!

Anyway, I don't think I'll be able to enter any more races this weekend so this was my only race for Laguna Seca so I'll definitely take a 3rd for the iRating and championship points!

Awesome read this thread, except for the first post. You have to use some paragraphs Jav it was just hard to read it. Good race though! :)

And Jav I applied for your GTPFIA thing on iracing.com, hope I'm welcome to join :)

Sorry Jav, should have fake names in my story to make it clearer. The guy that tapped me for a x0 was the big looser out of it, I still held the 4th I nabbed off of him :) Could have gone worst though.

Man, If you think you have seen it all. Some guy(s) in the front lost it in the warm-up lap. A big pile-up. Damaged i started the race. Really i am on the edge of quiting whit this game.

Just did a race again a nice grid of 23 cars were i got the number 21. I didn't drive that fast and ended on the 10th place. It was a clean race for my part and i am happy about that. I really needed a clean race. The few inc-points i recieved was my own fault, It always should be like that. I don't care if i end up last or first as long the race is clean.

I know how you feel and I've been there. Thinking to my self what a moron driver and screaming out damn idiot.. Not pushing the push to talk button of course!!!

But every situation like this I looked back at and thinking.. OK what can I do to avoid it, the idiot will never learn.. But I can maybe avoid the situation in the future. And no in rich man racing like F1 it's not like this, but if you start racing for real tomorrow. You will have to avoid those ignorant drivers that doesn't care about their ride. Or you be broke and out of racing before you actually started.

And this really is more than a game, there is no game feel what so ever. And since you don't have to pay 30 000USD to repair your car after a incident you get some SR drop instead. I actually think its a fair system when I got used to it.. It felt a bit unfair coming from GT5 witch is more of a game where accident into the wall in 200mph is just something you forget about 10 seconds later

Its much better then GT5, But it seems i always am at the wrong place at the wrong time. Its a bit frustrating. A few races ago i was in 6th i was alot faster then the guy befor me i tried like 6 laps of 2:35+ to pass him. For the first time i felt comfy whit my car and my openent. I even started to try agressive (calculated) moves. I got inches from his side by side, they guy defended witout waving, but placing his car on the right side. At the end he won but we never touched, and we went very close. I think you never can be that clean in GT5. I think you have to be lucky who is around you.

The only thing i hate about the system there is no such thing as track edges. at some place you drive off track whitout incident points and other place you hit the grass whit one wheel and you got a off track. :crazy:

Mazda cup. Started 7th got into 5th started losing concentration and finished 8th with 5 Inc ( wheel off). I got 0.15 safety rating and now I moved up to D class. Grand-am series here I come WOOHOO!!!!

Ran my first hosted race in about a month just for the heck of it. Cup cars at Daytona 50% fuel and cautions on. If I hadn't scraped the wall, I would've been 1 of 2 guys who were smart enough to realize that we didn't need to pit if we ran 4th gear and coasted with the clutch. Everybody took 3.4 gallons, and I ended up doing so after I scraped the wall and for a 25 lap race we finished with half the field remaining and under yellow and the fuel box (F4) said I had 25 laps remaining :lol: what a sad race. And I realized that there are setups for daytona that can gain an entire second from the basic one..... Which I need to find

Did my first grand am race. But i made big newbie mistake. I forgot to put fuel in my car. I was running in 4th and i had to tow myself, standing still in the pitlane. on top of that i was speeding when i came out the pitlane. Then i try to put in the laps but i crashed heavy when someone distracted me. some poor guy ran into me also when i was parked, end of story.

edit:
Ok my second race went decent. the second finisher missed his braking point and hit me, i span around, lucky i didn't hit something else. I could go one in 6th or something. After a long stint i made 1 mistake and lost some places. driving around 6th place at the end i managed yet again to not put enough fuel in my car. i expected 40 laps but i run more laps. running at a virtual 5th place i had to pit for fuel the and ended at place 7.

I learned alot of this race, specially to have enough fuel to start whit. i recieved 10 inc. But to be honest it was a fair race. a guy hit me (4); 2 off tracks (2x), and a lost of control (2x) It adds up quickly. after the race i parked my car and i gained a lost of control, what about that.

Last edited:
I won my first race in weeeeks, granted it was the GT Cup 2nd split and there were only 3 Solstice's, but i won! lol Nothing to brag about its just nice to see a win again. Im still getting owned by the aliens in every other race i jump into, getting a top 5 is something scarce these days for me.

Good idea for a thread Jav. I've been meaning to post in here. I have done a couple races now.

Guess I'll start with the official series GT Prototype fixed setup races driving the HPD at Road America. First race was the Saturday night 10 pm eastern race. We had a full grid of 36 drivers with 26 HPD's and 1 Pro license driver driving a HPD. Had there been one more we would have split. I always qualify, but I didn't get in all that great of a lap, little over half a second slower than what I can normally do so I started 9th out of 26 in my class. I got a decent start and made a pass in the first couple of corners. That guy ended up getting back by me a lap later though. For most of the race I just rode around in 9th then a couple laps in 1 guy crashed out putting me 8th.

I was getting left a little from the guys in front, but pulling from the guys behind me. Coming up to the last lap on the back part of the track I see smoke and a Vette on my far left and a blue HPD on my right little ways up so I have to dodge between them kinda. I was thinking I made a spot up to 7th just before the last lap, but I cross the line and notice I jump from 8th to 5th! After the race I went back and looked and apparently the Vette was in 30th and hit the grass then smacked the wall putting him back on track when the blue HPD came through. Then 3 more HPD's came through with one rear ending the other one as he was slowing for the crash and just one got by so that put me 5th. I had to one lap to bring in a top 5 out of 26 in my class. Got through the last lap fine and finished 5th. I had 0 incidents as well so got a +0.28 SR boost along with a +58 (my car number:sly:) gain in irating putting me just over 2000 irating in road.

Second HPD race I did tonight it was the 12 am gt prototype race and not quite as exciting lol. There was not many people just 13 total with only 6 HPD's. Only reason I did it was because a friend I race oval with wanted to race it so I did it for the heck of it. I started 2nd and got a terrible start and the leader pulled a little gap. After a few laps he already had a couple seconds on me so I basically just put it in cruise control. I was pretty tired because I had been racing all night in a league race that I'll explain below. I just brought it home second with 0 incidents again. I was at 2.91 before the race so I got a huge boost of +0.70 SR since I hit 3.00 and a little irating gain of +24 putting me close to 2100. I didn't score as many points since the sof was lower so it dropped those points and scored my last race in 5th so I'm sitting 13th in points for division 3.

Earlier tonight I had a league race. It's a oval league that runs all 3 of the major oval cars, the truck, nationwide, and cup series car. I'm just racing the nationwide series for points, and just do the other series at tracks I like. Tonight was at Watkins Glen like the real nascar guys today. With me being the main "road guy" in the league I expected to do well. I was 3rd of 28 in practice and qualified 4th. Got a decent start but made a mistake a couple laps in and lost 2 spots to fall to 6th. One person crashed out and I moved to 5th. On lap 17 of 45 I made a mistake and got sideways coming out of the next to last corner. Unfortunately as I was trying to save it, it snapped back to the right and the guy behind was coming around so I caught him and got a fair amount of damage myself. I went ahead and pitted and had 4 minutes optional repair so I just did 1 minute and went back out. I was 13th and 2 laps down and I ended up making my way back to 7th running little over a second off my normal pace with all the damage. Worst part was everybody except one guy that was in front of me when I was running 5th ended up crashing so had I not crashed I would have had a 2nd more than likely. Since I'm not running for points not that big of a deal but wanted a good finish. This week the nationwide is at Watkins too so I have to be on my game since I'm running for points to try and bring home a good finish. I'm one point off 5th place in points with 3 people tied for 5th. Kinda some pressure too since my team mate has got on pole and won both the first 2 races of the season. Hope I didn't bore everyone to death with all that lol.

Last edited:
I raced two truck races back to back one fixed and other not at Michigan. I haven't qualified for either, and started 7th on both of them oddly enough.

The fixed race started off pretty well, and I had a really good start which allowed me by a truck and on another's rear by time we were coming onto the back stretch. I settle in there to just let the race and my groove come to me some, and here we go. We are coming off turn 4 on lap 2 and I have a run on the guy infront of me at the same time I see few spots of head lose it on exit. He keeps it headed for the infield grass I thought til last min, and up the onto track he comes which caused the guy who I had the run on to nail his front right side. Yup, bam right up into me and some how I got the worst of the damage out of all of it. So I make my way around the pits, do my damage which basically took about half the race. Even after fixing the truck, I was still slow but just stayed out of the way and ran as fast as I could. I think I finished like 12th and lost a little on SR and Irating but not enough to be upset over.

On to race 2, which I have no practice with the setup on the forums I used. We start great but this time I had crap start and got passed by a truck. I settle in behind him again, and just let my tires heat up since I know it helps big time at Michigan. Now coming off turn 2 this time I see a few trucks heading low to avoid looks like 2/3 who bounced off the wall after one of them ran other up off the turn. I head low splitting them up high and truck who was avoiding the wreck big time. Now we are back to racing, which I am having a good battle with two other guys most of the race. I was really hoping for a caution to relax a little and let my tires cool off but truck kept getting tighter but not terrible yet. I pitted on lap 40, which ended up being a lap before the leaders and came out ahead of the truck who I was behind after all the stops. I'm slowly catching 2nd as 4th is catching me, and I get passed before I catch the other guy. We battled back and forth as we still were catching 2nd place since he was dealing with a lap car. I could tell my front right was gone pretty fast because my truck just wanted to plow no matter what line I took. 5th was on his way but just slowly catching me as I had issues. We battled for a few laps back and forth til I made a big mistake which allowed him to pull away to where I couldn't catch him. During that time the guy who was in 2nd had been passed by those two guys and almost lost a few times which allowed me to get by. He rallied back by me because I had no grip on the front. We only had one caution and raced clean whole race. It was pretty exciting just wish I had a better setup or knew where to make some adjustments.

I was building up SR. Driving becomes natural since i know how to install/setup my wheel.

But in my last races i really got a big drop on my SR. Mainly becaus of my own fault (for a change). I was losing control combined whit going off track(alot). For some reason i just can't drive on Lime Rock Park. Its a lame circuit anyway. I even like Charlotte road course more. if you start to know the circuit it has some good corners.

The thing that still bothers me is the fact i still got those redicilous "off track" penalty's every now and then. IRacing is called to be "the realistic racing sim" But it does not have a proper rule what on or off track and whats allowed and what not. It seems to me the boundaries of the don't match reality. It looks like the SR are randomly placed.

For example. At Charlotte's road course there are 2 right corners (corner 3 & 4) On the right side(inside) there is asfalt but you can cut the white line whitout penalty. But if you go slightly on the dirt at the outside you get a "off track". That doesn't feel right.

I had a decent GT/Prototype race in my HPD tonight at Suzuka finishing 2nd. I hadn't done a whole lot of practice, but got in a qualifying session at least. There was only 15 total with 13 HPD's and just 1 each of the Vette and Ford. Felt bad for them since they had no one to race lol. I started 3rd. The second place guy backed off or something right after the start because I passed him easily into turn 1. I stayed in 2nd just running laps by myself for a while just trying to hit my marks.

I maintained the gap to the 3 guys behind me around a second to a little more, but had one of the regular faster HPD's guys coming from the back since he didn't qualify. Coming out of the tight left handed hair pin on back of the track the faster hpd guy was in 4th and bumped into the 3rd place guy about spinning him out and the 5th place guy rear ended the 4th place guy slightly. That gave me a good 4 second cushion to him behind me with 5 or so laps to go. He ended up bringing the gap down I only only beat him for 2nd by half a second or so. The leader was 14 seconds ahead after 14 laps so I was losing exactly a second per lap to him unfortunately. Still got a good amount of points and irating with a 2nd so not to bad.

That now puts me 2nd in my Div. 3 points for the HPD in GT/Prototype Fixed series 10 points down from first. All the guys around me have done at least 1 race this week so we are equal far as that goes. I'm going to try and do just one more in a higher sof maybe one afternoon if I can find out when is a good time. Me and Jav are representing in the GT/Prototype fixed series :lol:. We are both in division 3 and he is leading the Corvette points and I'm 2nd in HPD 👍.

Just driven 80 minutes of Daytona in the Riley. Starting at 8th i made in the first 10 laps 3 vital mistakes. It was like to be an offday. But i made a good comback from 19th to 7th. It was hard to stay consistent whit all flags and traffic each lap. But i never thought 7th place was even possible halfway through the race.

That link provide me with my division and of course good race to you too Darren, didn't mean to forget about you. ;)

I think the link will provide what division the driver that presses that link is in. I saw I was 4th in my division 4 ;)

That link provide me with my division and of course good race to you too Darren, didn't mean to forget about you. ;)

I think the link will provide what division the driver that presses that link is in. I saw I was 4th in my division 4 ;)

That's weird Erik, I guess it just shows Grand am series and then find your division, anyways congrats on 4th in a tougher division then mine. :)

Back