Your opinion about Kaz establishing his own studio?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rash-182
  • 44 comments
  • 3,822 views

Your take on this possibility?

  • I like the idea

    Votes: 14 18.4%
  • I don´t like the idea

    Votes: 29 38.2%
  • Hard to tell.. there would be strenghts and weaknesses

    Votes: 33 43.4%

  • Total voters
    76
Messages
538
Czech Republic
Brno, Czech Republic
Messages
Rash-182
If Hideo Kojima could establish his own studio then why should Kaz not? After all that raping from Sony, forcing them to add 3D and Move support and being victim of their wierd decisions. Maybe the game would be out right now but because of Sony it´s not. Imagine that Yamauchi Productions (working title) could do whatever they want and what they feel is the best for their games. Maybe they wouldn´t be so tight lipped and would be more communicative. Maybe we would even see some developer diaries and some english speaking PR manager. I wonder if Kaz has ever thought about this in the back of his head..

What do you guys think?
 
Somehow I don't think this would be beneficial to us. We've gotten amazing games from Kaz as things are right now.
 
@Rash: He probably has...but if I remember correctly, Kaz is a member of SCEJ's board or something. And he pretty much needed Sony, and much as Sony needed him when it came to Gran Turismo.

I mean Microsoft wouldn't have the same patience with Turn 10 if Forza 3 took as long as GT5 to develop.

I think Kaz is probably grateful for that side of Sony.

And establishing his own studio might look like a betrayal to Sony as they let him establish Polyphony as a premiere first party studio without much hassle.
 
Polyphony Digital was set up by him if I remember rightly. With financial backing from Sony sure, but nevertheless, it's already his studio.

Sony gives him a great deal of freedom in development of his games.
 
I don´t think he would have that money what he get´s from Sony for GT5. Also I don´t think that there will be any change with the development times, maybe without Sony Kaz would even need another 5 years for GT5 because nobody pushes him and he´s an perfectionist...
 
Hope is that Kaz could explore game making beyond GT. Fear is that Need for Speed developers take over PD.
 
Doesn't he already have his own little studio/company since, what, 1997 ( or even before that I think creating other games as well )?
Thinks it's called Polyphony Digital and the decision to be a boardroom member of Sony ( as I believe he is ) is also his own voluntary decision.:indiff:
 
Kaz have his studio.

It is called Polyphony Digital.

It is HIS studio.

In short, done since 1995.
 
General Information:

Entity Name: Polyphony Digital Inc.
Established: April 2nd 1998
Location: Tobu Toyosu Bldg 2F., 1-10-19 Edagawa, Koto-ku, Tokyo 135-0051 Japan
Capital: 10 Million Yen
Employees: Approx. 110
Business Description: Planning and development of game software, and operation of surrounding services
Representative: President Kazunori Yamauchi
Board Members: Kazunori Yamauchi Representative Director
Kaz Hirai Director
Masaru Kato Director
Shuhei Yoshida Director
Kiyoshi Akutsu Auditor
 
lol. Exactly what Mr. Latte says, he just doesn't have Kojima's ego so it's not called 'Yamauchi Studio'.

Kojima's still freakin' awesome, though.
 
If Hideo Kojima could establish his own studio then why should Kaz not? After all that raping from Sony, forcing them to add 3D and Move support and being victim of their wierd decisions. Maybe the game would be out right now but because of Sony it´s not. Imagine that Yamauchi Productions (working title) could do whatever they want and what they feel is the best for their games. Maybe they wouldn´t be so tight lipped and would be more communicative. Maybe we would even see some developer diaries and some english speaking PR manager. I wonder if Kaz has ever thought about this in the back of his head..

What do you guys think?

Do you happen to have a source for the "Sony raping him" thingie or is it just an assumption made in 10 seconds based on 0 facts? :grumpy:
And i don't see anything weird in Sony's decisions, they just need to support Move and 3D. Every company would do so:idea:
 
Last edited:
@ Rassh

Sony sign gives him invitation to almost all car firms, newest hardware like gps thing in lexus. And he is vice president of SCEJ most important of all sony SCE devisions.

He owns PD. He is no noname director. And he print money for Sony as wii for nintendo
 
Polyphony Digital Inc. is a subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc., and is a software developer entity. Originally a development group within Sony Computer Entertainment, the creators of "Gran Turismo" established Polyphony Digital Inc. in 1998.
So, technically it isn't just his studio to do as he pleases with. However, unlike a lot of first party developers they do have a lot of leeway when it comes to their developments. However, after all this GT5 fiasco, I'm not sure SONY will be so patient with them next time.

As for the topic in question, I voted that I don't like the idea, although naturally there are pros and cons. I just think it would mark the end of GT as we know it, and not necessarily for the better. Now, we may well get a different, better racing game, who knows? But, I'm happy with them tucked under SCEs wing,.
 
lol. Exactly what Mr. Latte says, he just doesn't have Kojima's ego so it's not called 'Yamauchi Studio'.

Kojima's still freakin' awesome, though.

And in the Kojima argument, Konomi is a third party already. So him branching off and making Kojima Productions is not that dramatic.
 
Do you happen to have a source for the "Sony raping him" thingie or is it just an assumption made in 10 seconds based on 0 facts? :grumpy:
And i don't see anything weird in Sony's decisions, they just need to support Move and 3D. Every company would do so:idea:

https://www.gtplanet.net/new-gran-turismo-5-ps-move-rumors-emerge/

And yes Amar, Kaz is the owner you are right but you know how i meant it.. not to be part of Sony. And yes he is having all that great invitations to almost all car firms but that in a way is more of his personal benefit not ours..in a way i´m saying
 
Last edited:
https://www.gtplanet.net/new-gran-turismo-5-ps-move-rumors-emerge/

And yes Amar he is the owner you are right but you know how i meant it.. not to be part of Sony. And yes he is having all that great invitations to almost all car firms but that in a way is more of his personal benefit not ours..in a way i´m saying

How exactly does that story prove definitive proof that Sony have forced anything on PD and Kaz?

Simply answer is that it doesn't. First its a rumour, we don't even know if Move will be a part of GT5, it is rumoured to be part of the reason behind the delay.

Now even if the rumour is true that don't prove that it was forced on them, for all you and I know PD and Kaz could have been just as eager as Sony.

In future please do not post what is little more than speculation as if it is fact.


Scaff
 
Amar is the owner of... what exactly?
What would Kaz gain if he left Sony? Nothing

corrected..happy now?
And this is not about what Kaz would gain but what would it mean for us gamers

In future please do not post what is little more than speculation as if it is fact.


Scaff

I know its a speculation, i can read.. as well as anyone else on this site. This was just and example. I´m sorry that it looked like i´m posting it as a fact, but then half of this site is guilty :D
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I know its a speculation, i can read.. as well as anyone else on this site. This was just and example. I´m sorry that it looked like i´m posting it as a fact, but then half of this site is guilty :D

Most don't then create entire threads based around it, and all will get it pointed out one way or another by the staff.


Scaff
 
If he went independant then other systems pc/xbox would get this game too.

I'm cool with that.
 
Most don't then create entire threads based around it, and all will get it pointed out one way or another by the staff.


Scaff

Ok.. so feel free to close this thread if you want. I just thought it could be an interesting topic since we dont have much to talk about again.
 
Ok.. so feel free to close this thread if you want. I just thought it could be an interesting topic since we dont have much to talk about again.

Now if I wanted to do that or even thought is was required do you think I would have not already done so?

The subject of Kaz going alone is worthy of discussion, that I have not taken issue with at all.

Rather your presentation of possible reasons as if they were fact (no one knows if Move is even in let alone if it and 3D were forced on Kaz and PD) were the issue. Continue the discussion without the miss-leading comments and I don't see any problem at all.


Already is.

No it is not. He may run it, he may now sit on the SCEJ board, but none of these things change the fact that PD is a subsidiary of Sony.


Scaff
 
Isn't it so that if KY should start his own independant (from Sony) company, Gran Turismo won't be Gran Turismo anymore? Is this game not partially owned by Sony and so is the title >> Gran Turismo, the real driving stimulator simulator?



[/end question]
 
Already is.
As already pointed out by myself and Scaff, PD is a subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Therefore, it is not his studio.
 
If he went independant then other systems pc/xbox would get this game too.

I'm cool with that.

And then the quality would drop (at least on consoles) and extra time would be needed (world wide release and so on) and because of compromises that needs to be made while making a multiplatform game.

Face it exclusive games usually mean, games with quality. And now most of the 3rd party studios need to make multiplatform games to survive.

As for Move and 3D :

All major developers want to experiment with new stuff (Kojima is also one of them) + I bet he got extra cash for it (and that is a plus)

I saw 3D TV the other day and it was awesome (first I was skeptical about it)
As for move ... I don't think that it would be used only for navigation .. maybe painting on cars or so? And its also not so hard to add it to existing games (it basically simulates analog sticks)

+ First party developers usually help each other when its needed (usually it leads to great results)
 
Last edited:
I don't think quality would be affected.

Maybe he should open a hair salon.
 
I don't think, as gamers, that we would actually gain anything. There are pros and cons...the game could possibly be out sooner, but if so, there would be more bugs/issues. Same story as if it went multi-platform. Personally I'm pretty happy with where PD is at right now because I know that when the game finally does come out, it's going to be amazing.
 
Back