Your Opinions on the H-Shifter/Clutch Changes

Do you like or dislike the changes to the H-Shifter/Clutch combo?

Votes: 38 31.4%
  • Dislike

Votes: 83 68.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ahh! Update 1.37 just reverted manual w/clutch back to how it was, and now prohibits it in Sport Mode races... Someone recommended that in this thread, and that's exactly what they did... Maybe they do read these posts?!? Still sucks, but I can deal with that until (hopefully) they speed up the paddle shifts in manual trans setting... Good luck hoping for a better fix LOL. At least u can play in a lobby league, or whatever, with how it was.

That is great news!

I see the update references "full manual". I've never seen a setting in the game for "full manual" though. Does it basically mean that if you choose manual in sport mode, you can only use paddles to shift? Or can you still use the H clutchlessly like before?

Excuse my ignorance, does this mean controller users have parity with the steering wheel shift speeds in Sport mode now?

Ahh! Update 1.37 just reverted manual w/clutch back to how it was, and now prohibits it in Sport Mode races... Someone recommended that in this thread, and that's exactly what they did... Maybe they do read these posts?!? Still sucks, but I can deal with that until (hopefully) they speed up the paddle shifts in manual trans setting... Good luck hoping for a better fix LOL. At least u can play in a lobby league, or whatever, with how it was.
Excellent news.

The lock out of H-Pattern in sport was suggested by a number of us, and I have to say I am pleasently surprised that they have acted so quickly on this.

Look forward to giving it a try tonight.

Good. Still not the best solution since now the advantage returns for leagues, but that was probably a panic move. I hope that can make them start caring about lobbies now and work on implementing faster default shifts or sequential gearbox BoP.

Very happy they reverted back, would be nive to see some improvements too but for now I'm happy. Couldn't use the clutch+H pattern after the last update.

After reading these new comments my suspicions have been confirmed as last night I was noticing I could shift gears way up to the moon when I went to do some single-player racing.. until of course I did a multiplayer race. That was of course without doubt the moment that I came back crashing down.

So hard in fact that I came in last. :C

Last edited:
So in lobbies and single player time trials we can still use clutch with shifter? I did all my gearing with clutch and shifter in sport mode, that's part of the fun. This literally killed the game for me at this point as I never play in lobbies or time trials.

It's still extremely unrealistic though.
Doing the daily races, a Ferrari Dino with paddle shifters...

So in lobbies and single player time trials we can still use clutch with shifter? I did all my gearing with clutch and shifter in sport mode, that's part of the fun. This literally killed the game for me at this point as I never play in lobbies or time trials.
Clutch and shifter don't work at all in Sport Mode.
I tried it today and nothing would happen when I engaged clutch and shifter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thrustmaster also sent me a link to this video, which is bad news, as it means they are already well aware of the shortcomings of GT's clutch model. So, don't expect a fix...

Interesting video though.

I finally got to use my shifter tonight! While GT’s clutch may not be perfect, it’s still a lot of fun to cruise around shifting my own gears. :)

Side Note, I didn’t know you could stall a car in GT Sport. :lol:

Last edited:
I finally got to use my shifter tonight! While GT’s clutch may not be perfect, it’s still a lot of fun to cruise around shifting my own gears. :)

Side Note, I didn’t know you could stall a car in GT Sport. :lol:

Yeah shifting is much more fun and rewarding. Once you learn to heel/toe you'll have much more fun and be a lot faster.

VBR
Thrustmaster also sent me a link to this video, which is bad news, as it means they are already well aware of the shortcomings of GT's clutch model. So, don't expect a fix...

In the video they say that in iRacing "strangely enough you can shift without the clutch if you wait long enough". It is not strange, that is exactly how a manual box works, you can shift them all without a clutch by sliding the trans out of gear then hold the shifter towards the next gear and when engine RPM's drop enough they will match output shaft speed and the it will gently slide into the gear. You can downshift this way without the clutch by sliding shifter into neutral then gradually start increasing RPM's until the engine speed matches output shaft speed and it slide into the next lower gear. Over the road truck drivers shift like that always, the only time they use a clutch is from a stop but they can shift quicker cause with 11-13 gears their ratios are closer so it needs less RPM drop at hear changes. With a little practice it's very easy to drive a passenger car the same way without missing shifts or grinding gears. When I say sliding the trans out of gear you need to pull the shifter out of gear with no load on the driveline, that is something I dont think you can feel in a video game like in real life, it is when you are niether accelerating or decelerating.

VBR

One thing he didn’t mention was clutch setup options. Don’t know anything or care about Wreckfest, and I haven’t played AC yet, and assume since iRacing is on PC it has some type of menu for clutch adjustments, but GTSport has to be at or near the bottom. Oh wait, no clutch options exist in GTSport. That would easily knock it down from the +5 rating it received. And it was tied with PC2? Please.

I've got a T300 and apart from tweaking the wheel weight between a few cars, am happy with the FFB how i have it set-up.

That's not to say that I haven't done a lot of playing around, but I always end up coming back to pretty much the same set-up

Raw / Gain 80 / Volume 30 / Tone 25 / FX 20 (Main Spring doesn't affect driving)

The bit when it went side to side back in GT4 is thankfully a thing of the past.

However you will find PC2 gives you a lot of options, so head over to the PC2 sub-forum and ask away, plenty of people who will help out.
Few very quick pointers, road cars are harder to drive quickly on a track than race cars, hyper cars are on road tyres they will not stop or corner as quickly as race cars - so drive them in that manner, tyre temp is really important - if your not up to temp on race tyres you will not have anything like the grip you expect.

Oh and the first combo it sticks you in is a McLaren 720s at Long Beech, which will spin its rears in 4th, and you start with cold tyres. Brake from before the 500 yard boards and don't try turning with even close to full brakes applied. It's much more demanding than GTS, but also more rewarding in that regard as well.

Have fun :-)

BTW this is a year after launch video that may be of interest.

Don't want to steer this thread off-topic, but...it's here! :drool:
Will install and play later tonight after work.

Attachments

• 20190405_113523.jpg
    20190405_113523.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 17
I mean I appreciate the fact they put it in time trials and lobbies, but for me the fun is kind of ruined.

I loved the stress of a race in sport mode, the feeling of shifting gears and just getting in the zone and motions of going for the perfect lap. How can you call yourself a real driving simulator but not allow use of hpattern shifter on cars that come from the factory with them. I dunno I'm kinda gutted.

Back