your own rally cars

Simplex 4100U

(Banned)
FireLite MS2
post pictures of your own car offroad, talk about your future rally car, or discuss tuning settings.(mods, move if necessary)

i'm still working on getting $100K to 1) get an '09 Ford Ranger(will leave me with $90K) and 2) have the guys at Ford Racing do a total WRC conversion on it, or just get me a Focus WRC Rally Car engine to put in it(i'm planning on getting a 4x4, so i won't need to convert a 2x4 into a 4x4 and spend too much money.). also, i've been thinking about sponsors(i actually want to start a WRC team), and i think i may want to go with a GTPlanet car(well, truck, but, you know what i mean...).

will you post pics when it's done?

yes, but it will be a LONG-@$$ time, considering that i can't find a Ranger that is in my price range. in fact, i'm going to get it used, and probably not for WRC racing, maybe just SCCA and USRC racing. i think i'll get an '04 Ranger, maybe a 2wd version, considering it's smaller, and lighter. i hope to get it done before the 2009 New York Rally(not that i'm entering, i just want it to be finished by then).

there are actually more candidates for a car for me:

Volkswagen Vanagon
Honda CR-V
Volvo V70/S60
Porsche 924
smart fortwo
Mazda Miata MX-5
Chevrolet HHR
AMC Gremlin
Suzuki Cultus
Acura 3.2 TL
Porsche Cayenne

yes, i can afford most of those, and YES i was serious about the fortwo and the Gremlin(how i'm going to fit my 6'3" self into any car is anyone's guess).

Porsche 924 would win you bonus points from me, They are just too cool off-road. The carrera GT(924) version being even cooler.

Last edited:
So you were going to spend 100,000 dollars on a WRC Focus engine'd 4WD '09 Ranger, and get it modified by Ford Racing (Not M-Sport? I would have thought they'd be the experts...), but you can't afford an '09 Ranger so you're now looking at a 2WD '04 Ranger, or numerous other cars, instead. (Cayenne? :lol: )

Forgive me if I don't believe you.

if no-one wants to tell me in this thread, PM me(also, sorry for going off-topic... i'm in school, so i really am not supposed to be on here...)

same here, man. i'd look, but since i'm in my 4th week of school, things have gotten hellish for me(mom took my PS2 away again),
As you're still in school, and can't even keep hold of your own PS2, where are you going to get $100K from?

Last edited:
also, in conjunction with own a whole bunch of fire alarm stuff, i also work for a local fire alarm company(and strangely they said if i said there name on here, i'd be fired, and then later banned, so, sorry, no more info on their name)
i'm still working on getting $100K to 1) get an '09 Ford Ranger(will leave me with $90K) and 2) have the guys at Ford Racing do a total WRC conversion on it, or just get me a Focus WRC Rally Car engine to put in it(i'm planning on getting a 4x4, so i won't need to convert a 2x4 into a 4x4 and spend too much money.). also, i've been thinking about sponsors(i actually want to start a WRC team), and i think i may want to go with a GTPlanet car(well, truck, but, you know what i mean...).
You have fire alarms as a hobby and you work for a fire alarm company of wich you can't tell the name(???), you wanna spend $100K on starting a GTPlanet WRC team with a Ford Ranger, though you're in school and your mother took your PS2 away?

Last edited:
Epic thread. 👍
No seriously, if you want to have a cheap rally car just get some cheap FWD hatchback, strip the interior and all the safety features (roll cage, bucket seats, harness, etc.) and your ready to go. I think even an old Subaru Impreza or Mitsubishi Lancer can be bought for less than 10k$....... 👍

As for my own rally car, heh I guess I just have to wait and see in a few years time..... ;)

Personally, I have a factory 2009 STI WRC machine, but I'm planning on swapping the engine and drivetrain from a Veyron so it will have a little more torque.

I'd post pics but its locked up in the paddocks right now. I'll be sure to take some pictures and videos of the swap however.

Epic thread. 👍
No seriously, if you want to have a cheap rally car just get some cheap FWD hatchback, strip the interior and all the safety features (roll cage, bucket seats, harness, etc.) and your ready to go. I think even an old Subaru Impreza or Mitsubishi Lancer can be bought for less than 10k$....... 👍

As for my own rally car, heh I guess I just have to wait and see in a few years time..... ;)

actually, i might go with that idea, only that a friend of mine recently bought a smart fortwo, and incidentally won one in a competition, and i'm going to ask him if i can have the one he won. if he lets me, i might have the smallest rally car in the Rally America Open Class. if you see a fortwo sponsored by Fire-Lite Alarms, that's me.

A Smart rally car? :lol: They're not exactly known for their cornering ability. They're a wee bit narrow and tall for spirited cornering.

This thread just gets better.

Its like... this...

facepalm4.jpg

Where one person still looks serious...

But then...

rofl.png

A Smart for rally is a death trap. The stance is way too narrow. A truck for rally is also fail because of the weight distribution.

This thread, honestly, reminds me of this...

draft_lens1504404module8201770photo_sense_large.jpeg1202791326

actually, i might go with that idea, only that a friend of mine recently bought a smart fortwo, and incidentally won one in a competition, and i'm going to ask him if i can have the one he won. if he lets me, i might have the smallest rally car in the Rally America Open Class. if you see a fortwo sponsored by Fire-Lite Alarms, that's me.

Right. Your mom took away your PS2 because you weren't doing good in school but your friend now owns two Smarts and he'll probably just give one to you so you can go race it in a rally class.

Fire alarms being your hobby is just the icing on the cake now.

A Smart rally car is a bit of an oxymoron, considering you'd have to double the width of the track (exaggeration) to make it remotely stable on the kind of roads you'd find on a rally stage, or using running it on slicks for your tarmac rally, it would simply role.

Here's a nice insight into the world of smart car rallying
SmartCarRallye.bmp

Doesn't look to great...

how about this
smart3-monster-9-11-06.jpg

Ok, err maybe not either.

If you want small and quick maybe try this
Mini-at-the-Monte-Carlo-Rally-1967-Aaltonen-and-Liddon-Front-1024x768.jpg

Of course its all moot anyway because as previously said; your claims make little more sense than Azuremen's picture...

there are actually more candidates for a car for me:

Volkswagen Vanagon
Honda CR-V
Volvo V70/S60
Porsche 924
smart fortwo
Mazda Miata MX-5
Chevrolet HHR
AMC Gremlin
Suzuki Cultus
Acura 3.2 TL
Porsche Cayenne

yes, i can afford most of those, and YES i was serious about the fortwo and the Gremlin(how i'm going to fit my 6'3" self into any car is anyone's guess).

Firstly, you're a fool.

Secondly, see the first point.

It's all very well to have a dream, but it seems desperately obvious that you have no idea what you're talking about. If you dream to get involved in rallying, good luck to you, but perhaps pay attention to what other people run as a starter car rather than coming up with harebrained schemes to run something weird and wonderful that unfortunately won't work very well.

And before you disregard my opinion, i would ask that you please watch this in-car from my own rally car:

http://www.vimeo.com/2282607

Firstly, you're a fool.

Secondly, see the first point.

It's all very well to have a dream, but it seems desperately obvious that you have no idea what you're talking about. If you dream to get involved in rallying, good luck to you, but perhaps pay attention to what other people run as a starter car rather than coming up with harebrained schemes to run something weird and wonderful that unfortunately won't work very well.

And before you disregard my opinion, i would ask that you please watch this in-car from my own rally car:

http://www.vimeo.com/2282607

Awesome...never knew we had any true rally drivers on GTP. What sort of modifications have been done to the STi?

Not exactly a Smart car, but here's what happens when something tall, narrow and short tries a Scandanavian flick...

The original idea of the thread is daft, but it's good for some lols. A Ranger modified for WRC rules (in itself impossible) is ok, but a Smart, Cayenne, Acura TL, AMC Gremlin? From a guy who can't keep hold of his PS2 against his mother (hence, likely still in school) and works for an un-named fire-alarm company (which you accidentally named: Fire-Lite Alarms). And then hopes to be given a free Smart, and still hopes to race it. Riiiiight. :lol:

That video, though, VTracing, is very cool. How can you track those notes and decipher them? I haven't seen many rally-videos from that point of view - not the engine-notes, but what the driver hears and needs. :eek:

A truck for rally is also fail because of the weight distribution.

Angry Tatra would like a word with you:

2007_Tunis_158_1280.jpg

Real, full-size trucks have been and still are highly successful in rallying. YouTube "Dakar truck" - you'll be surprised. These things are very, very cool, and I don't think there's something scarier than seeing a truck that weighs probably more than a dozen tons hurl towards you at 80MPH, airborne.

Not exactly a Smart car, but here's what happens when something tall, narrow and short tries a Scandanavian flick...

I recall TopGear had an award for the worst handling car once, where they took the cars through Hammerhead. The Smart just wobbled it's way in an almost-straight line, and came off worse than some Malaysian car, or the eco-tyre'd Prius. It even got their "2004 Comedy Handling Award".

Awesome...never knew we had any true rally drivers on GTP. What sort of modifications have been done to the STi?

It's FIA Group N, so we're not allowed to change too much with the engine (stock everything) and we have to run a 32mm restrictor in the turbo to limit horsepower. But it runs a Motec computer that controls the engine and also the centre-diff programming. Standard Subaru brakes with aftermarket pads (Ferodo).

Obviously it has a roll cage, proper suspension, underbody protection, rally tyres etc...

That video, though, VTracing, is very cool. How can you track those notes and decipher them? I haven't seen many rally-videos from that point of view - not the engine-notes, but what the driver hears and needs. :eek:

Those notes make sense to me because I wrote them (well, I told the co-driver what to write during recce). They're quite simple when you understand the system - every single word has a specific meaning:

I use 1 to 8 to grade the corners (8 is flat out, 1 is a hairpin), with "plus" meaning half. So 4 Left plus is halfway between 4 and 5.
I measure the distance between corners (which is the other numbers you hear) 50, 70, 100, 120 etc.
Distances less than 50 I use words: Into means around 15-25 metres, Then means around 25-40 metres.

So for the first little bit of that footage you hear:

70 Crest Then Hump 50
4Left+ Into Bridge
70 Hump 7Right Slippy
50 8Left over Hump, 200
Care Crest Slippy 7Left Into Crest, 120
Down Into narrow long 4Right - rocky
70 Jump
70 3Right.

So each word means something to me, and how it's broken down above is how I break it down in my head.

Here's a photo of the outside of the car:

http://www.rally.com.au/photoviewer.cfm?photoid=3335

simplex 4100u
also, in conjunction with own a whole bunch of fire alarm stuff, i also work for a local fire alarm company(and strangely they said if i said there name on here, i'd be fired, and then later banned, so, sorry, no more info on their name)

simplex 4100u
if you see a fortwo sponsored by fire-lite alarms, that's me.

yooouuuurrreeeee outta here!!!!!

A Smart rally car? :lol: They're not exactly known for their cornering ability. They're a wee bit narrow and tall for spirited cornering.

This thread just gets better.

Oh daan you cynic ;) I was going to post a pic of a fortwo rally car but someone beat me to it on the last page. That particular car was built for the "World Cup Rally", which is an endurance event for <1400cc cars. I have an Auto Express clipping of a test they did of it - the traction control has been disabled so apparenly it was quite amusing to corner, given than a wodge of throttle would spin it like a top :lol:

This thread amuses me though. Complete contrast to the chap in the general motoring section who wants to start in motorsport and appears to be taking a very grown-up attitude towards it.

And re: a rally Ranger, Ford UK have already done it, albeit with the "rest of world" market Ranger:

car_photo_2523_25.jpg

car_photo_2524_25.jpg

I'd love one :D Incidentally, the Ford rally team are pretty good at these random projects, also being variously responsible for the V6 Freelander rally support vehicle they used for the Kenyan rally a number of years back...
freelanderMSPORT2.jpg

...and also the World Rally Transit
TransitWRally1.jpg

...and also the World Rally Transit
TransitWRally1.jpg

Somehow I just don't believe that the word "rally" is related to that van at all. Maybe the paint. Does it just sit in the pit area and carry parts or something as a support vehicle?

So each word means something to me, and how it's broken down above is how I break it down in my head.

It just seems so exceptionally difficult to drive the road on it's own, without the notes to remember.. Also, the livery looks great!

So I've to ban him now?

Give him another reply or two, unless he abandoned this thread. It's fun. :P

So I've to ban him now?

Probably since he's a previously three times banned member I believe. I think he's this guy, at least that's what he told the facebook group.

Banned User Log
Camaro SS/928 GTS/Xiao Clone - 25th June 2007 - Banned for off-topic posts, explicit posts, abusive posts, and overall shoddy posts.

If you need more information, PM me as I don't want to post a screen cap with his full name and location on it.

Last edited:
Back