your own rally cars

No offence to you, simplex 4100u, but this thread honestly made me laugh. You sound like just an average schoolkid, who aims WAY too high...

"I want to get a really great, brand-new car, and spend 100k on getting the guys at Ford Racing to fit it out WRC style, with a Focus WRC engine... but yeah, things are tough, I'm at school and mummy took my PS2 away!"

Firstly, the guys at Ford Racing only do it for themselves... they are EXTREMELY unlikely to out-fit a car, with millions' worth of special racing gear, and an engine for a Ford Focus WRC which they specially developed, for a member of public. And if they would, it would cost FAR more than 100k. It's exactly the same as asking the RAF for a fully functioning jet fighter - not gonna happen, mate.

Honestly... where do you think you're going to get 100k anyway? Plus the PS2 and school stuff made you sound even more immature.

You're probably twice as old as me... and, frankly, I'm shocked. Aim much lower. If you truly want to get into motorsport, look at something like autograss or some other cheap form of motorsport - or buy a cheap Lancer or Impreza, and look for local events.

You won't get into a full-blown WRC car - or even a PWRC car - right off the bat. Real life ISN'T like Gran Turismo. You obviously have gotten a false impression of real motorsport from this game.

By the way, VTRacing, that Subaru is SWEET 👍

Last edited:
Its not a fire breathing dragon but at least its something im just about to purchase the car ive been building up this year at my Racequal course. A 1993 Honda Civic EG 3 door, but im unsure what to do with it in regards to racing it, ATM its stripped out with a full cage with the standard 1500 carby motor (dynoed at 50.8kw at the hubs:sly:) I'd either like to go track racing (Pukekohe's only 40 mins from home) or go hillclimbing or Targa events or even rallysprints. It aint much but its mine

BTW Nice Rexy VTRacing

Last edited:
post pictures of your own car offroad, talk about your future rally car, or discuss tuning settings.(mods, move if necessary)

i'm still working on getting $100K to 1) get an '09 Ford Ranger(will leave me with $90K) and 2) have the guys at Ford Racing do a total WRC conversion on it, or just get me a Focus WRC Rally Car engine to put in it(i'm planning on getting a 4x4, so i won't need to convert a 2x4 into a 4x4 and spend too much money.). also, i've been thinking about sponsors(i actually want to start a WRC team), and i think i may want to go with a GTPlanet car(well, truck, but, you know what i mean...).

Ford Ranger 4WD starts at $18,380.:dunce:

Where's this 100K coming from? :scared:

Why a truck?

Somehow I just don't believe that the word "rally" is related to that van at all. Maybe the paint. Does it just sit in the pit area and carry parts or something as a support vehicle?

I assure you the word "rally" can quite happily be applied. I have clippings from an autocar magazine where one of their journalists and then a proper rally driver took it around one of M-Sport's test stages. With little weight in the back and significant torque from a tuned turbodiesel it's apparently quite tail-happy, though apparent problems include low tree branches hitting the high roof, and the carbon front splitter being battered because it's mounted fairly low. I'll scan the autocar article next time I'm home from uni.

There's also this vid on Youtube, where the van was featured going around the test track. It's clearly got a reasonable turn of speed but doesn't look like it's really set up for tarmac either.

Quick question, how high are the costs of running and maintaing a rally car and entering rallies?

How long is a piece of string?

I'm not being obtuse either, there's such a massive variation depending on the sort of rally and the sort of class you're competing in.

How long is a piece of string?

I'm not being obtuse either, there's such a massive variation depending on the sort of rally and the sort of class you're competing in.

Yeah, essentially what he said.

You can get into club-level rallying in Australia for not very much. $5,000-$10,000 will get into into a "new" (as in never been rallied before) Hyundai Excel rally car (don't laugh, they're perfect as a starter car). And then your running costs will depend on how many events you want to do and the sort of tyres / development / etc etc.

Event costs - well you could do a club event for under $1000 easily, assuming you didn't bend the car.

You can even start doing autocross or khanacross in your road car with some minor safety additions like a fire extinguisher.

At the other end of the scale in the Australian Rally Championship you're looking at $15,000 - $25,000 per event for a front-running privateer effort, including tyres, fuel, and the real killer - accommodation, flights, rental cars and food for your service crew, driver and co-driver.

Then add on the cost of the car - $50,000 to $100,000+ for a decent Group N car and up to $250,000 for a second-hand Super 2000. Plus a truck to carry the car and recce car to events. Plus maintenance on the car, replacing parts between events, engine/gearbox rebuilds, dyno tuning etc. Plus you need to factor in the fact that you're probably going to have at least one decent smash during the year which could be $30,000+ to fix.

So a reasonable budget to do the Australian Championship (which is 6 or 7 rounds) would be at least $150,000, but more like $200,000 + . And that's assuming you already have a truck and the rally car.

But club level up to state level rallying is quite cheap when you compare it to circuit racing for example.

All figures are in Aussie dollars, and are extremely approximate. :)

To you VTRacing: That's awesome, you're good! Looks like so much fun! And the car looks great as well! 👍

To you Simplex 4100U: Good luck to you and your WRC career. Hope to see ya on Eurosport some time!

Oh, how could I forget. Good luck with your fire alarm collection as well mate!

Give him another reply or two, unless he abandoned this thread. It's fun. :P

it hasn't been abandoned. i'm still here.

anyways, narrowed down to only 6 few cars:

Acura 3.2 TL '01
Volvo V70R '03
Honda CRV '06
Toyota Matrix XR '07
Subaru Baja '05
Toyota Camry '08

i think the TL or the Matrix would be a good bet. the CRV and V70R are for if i can't find a used TL or Matrix cheap enough. the Matrix is about as popular as a Camry here in TX, so i should find one easily though. if the above 4 don't interest me, i'm going with the Camry. hell, there's already a NASCAR Camry, so why not a WRC spec Camry?(with a Supra RZ engine, maybe?)

--EDIT--

i don't work for Fire-Lite, and i probably never will. i was working for a company called Fire Safe, but i got fired, then went to work for ADT, but i then got fired for my religion(i'm jewish, by the way)!

But you realize that many of those cars make absolutely no sense for rallying? And that you can't buy an already-developed Super2000 car for cheap (or Group N), nor can you "WRC-ify" any random car (if it even fits the criteria to be homologated) without a very, very big investment (far off the scale of a kid that can't keep his PS2 in possession, and most likely off the scale of anyone on GTP). Read VTRacing's post again - and realize that even for the lower levels (below WRC, that is), you'll need a few hundred thousands. Setting up a WRC team is probably costs orders of magnitude more than a national championship.

1990 toyota celica gt four. im only a clubsport driver but me and my celica can hold our own against seasoned event drivers. great car, very balanced and loves being sideways ;)

well, i'd go with a Celica, but with the amount of options i have now... damn... it looks like i'm down to 2 cars(finally)

1995 Honda Oddysey
1993 Volvo 240 GL

the Oddysey, i know it's a safe car, but i can already hear people giggling about that, so F that idea... i've seen a lot of Volvo rally cars, so that might work.

well, i'd go with a Celica, but with the amount of options i have now... damn... it looks like i'm down to 2 cars(finally)

1995 Honda Oddysey
1993 Volvo 240 GL

the Oddysey, i know it's a safe car, but i can already hear people giggling about that, so F that idea... i've seen a lot of Volvo rally cars, so that might work.

You must be having a laugh? Volvo is the obvious choice of the two, but surely you could find a better suited car?

I'm secretly beginning to wonder if he might possibly be a Danny account, like the crossdresser?

I've thought about starting a GT4 program, personally, but I don't know which car to choose. I was thinking of a 1859 Peugeot 605 with UbuntuForums sponsorship, and maybe give a call to the friendly chaps at PeugeotSport for that yummy little V12 diesel. Alternatively, I may start a Formula 1 team based on a Renault Avantime, or if it's too big, an Espace - of course Renault will help me with their engines. All this for the low, low price of five cents, assuming my little brother doesn't take it away from me to buy ice-cream.

^:lol:

You must be having a laugh? Volvo is the obvious choice of the two, but surely you could find a better suited car?

The best bit for me is that every time he narrows his list down, all the cars change.

To be fair, the 240 is probably the least stupid idea he's come up with thus far.

1995 Honda Oddysey
1993 Volvo 240 GL

Ok, I see your intentionally ignoring others and you can only be doing this for a laugh now I'm sure. Either way, you're going in this thread because its getting a little silly now.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61433&page=37

Roo
To be fair, the 240 is probably the least stupid idea he's come up with thus far.

thank you. i've liked the 240 for a long time, and idk why it wasn't in the original list. i've got around $10K right now, so i can use that to get a car, and then just modify it the hard way(buy all the parts separately, and save up for 'em).so, yeah, i'm going to try and get a 240, hopefully the rare GT model.(if i can't get the 240, i don't know what i'm going to get... i'm over 6 feet tall, so i can't fit in most small cars. i'd go with a vw, but they're practically made for people 5 feet and under.)

since i'm more serious about this now, where's a good place to get rally tires from? should i just got to like a Discount Tire Co. store, or something? also, what are good wheels for a rally car? i was thinking O.Z. Superleggera III's, or Enkei WRC-Tarmac, but idk.

lastly, i'll be modifying my car to (as VTRacing has put it) the Group N specs. no engine mods, just chassis, transmission, brakes, suspension, etc. anything that is not a direct part of the engine is not going to be stock.

p.s., once the rebuild is completely finished, i'm going to try and get Jordan to sponsor my car.

--EDIT--

to Stevisiov: no soup for you.

Last edited:
thank you. i've liked the 240 for a long time, and idk why it wasn't in the original list. i've got around $10K right now, so i can use that to get a car, and then just modify it the hard way(buy all the parts separately, and save up for 'em).so, yeah, i'm going to try and get a 240, hopefully the rare GT model.(if i can't get the 240, i don't know what i'm going to get... i'm over 6 feet tall, so i can't fit in most small cars. i'd go with a vw, but they're practically made for people 5 feet and under.)

I'm over 6-foot, and I can fit in most cars - even VWs.

since i'm more serious about this now, where's a good place to get rally tires from? should i just got to like a Discount Tire Co. store, or something? also, what are good wheels for a rally car? i was thinking O.Z. Superleggera III's, or Enkei WRC-Tarmac, but idk.

Tarmac rally tyres? Or Gravel? Find your nearest Pirelli or Michelin / BF Goodrich competition tyre distributor (unlikely to be your local tyre dude). After a quick look, I can't seem to find any US distributors for either Pirelli or Michelin (which doesn't mean they don't exist, I didn't look very hard) in which case find out what the local rally teams run.

Remember that gravel rally tyres are mandated to be no more than 15" by the FIA. Tarmac rally tyres are maximum 18". I wouldn't use either of those on a car that I was going to drive around on the road.

As for wheels, once again it depends on whether you're going gravel or tarmac. I'm assuming by what you've suggested that you're looking at tarmac.

When it comes to wheels (and in fact most competition equipment) there are three factors:

- Strong
- Light
- Cheap

You can have any 2.

If it's strong and light, it won't be cheap. If it's strong and cheap, it won't be light. If it's light and cheap, it won't be strong. Keep that in mind when looking at any wheels.

lastly, i'll be modifying my car to (as VTRacing has put it) the Group N specs. no engine mods, just chassis, transmission, brakes, suspension, etc. anything that is not a direct part of the engine is not going to be stock.

The Group N homologation for the Volvo 240 has expired. You'll have to look at the regulations for any events you wish to run to work out what you can and can't do. It's no use modifying the hell out of the brakes or the suspension, only to turn up and fail scrutineering because such mods are illegal.

p.s., once the rebuild is completely finished, i'm going to try and get Jordan to sponsor my car.

Good luck with that...

(if i can't get the 240, i don't know what i'm going to get... i'm over 6 feet tall, so i can't fit in most small cars. i'd go with a vw, but they're practically made for people 5 feet and under.)

If you're going to modify so much, I'm sure you can manage a couple of brackets to move the seat back in any car you choose.

This thread made me lol...

At first I was like he cannot want to use a €250k car for parts to put in a €30k pickup...but then...it just got worse!

Back