Your PlayStation 4 Games Are In Sony's Hands | The PS4 CBOMB Explained - HM

• Thread starter ICEYOU3
  • 19 comments
Think I was most shocked that it even affects the physical games, and how some people have clung on to that being a solution when games get delisted. It simply isn't going to matter how you own it. You're essentially the DRM key, by putting the disc in or loading up the digital copy.

VXR
Think I was most shocked that it even affects the physical games, and how some people have clung on to that being a solution when games get delisted. It simply isn't going to matter how you own it. You're essentially the DRM key, by putting the disc in or loading up the digital copy.
The PS5 reportedly also has the same issue but it only impacts digital games. I guess I won't be buying digital this gen too.

So Xbox users are far worse off it seems, no wonder Phil or any Xbox head didn't use this as a Jab at Sony.

Last edited:
This just seems like a bunch of Youtubers desperate for views and likes to me.

News flash: Henny Penny was right, the sky is falling... we just don't know when... and even though we don't know Sony's future plans we'll claim they're going to shut us off from our digital products... but it could be in the year 3000 for all we know, it could be never as we don't actually know how their time clock and DRM works.
To my knowledge you still own your digital licence or your disc forever and as Sony and Microsoft have never given a lifetime console guarantee how is this an issue? There's also multiple ways of easily accessing and playing old games that fall outside of the control of these companies both on the console itself or via PC.

As soon as I bought my PS5, which also plays my digital and disc PS4 games, my PS4 that now sits in it's box on top of the wardrobe in the spare room next to a PS3, PS2 and PS1 is already essentially as useful as a brick for playing games.

This just seems like a bunch of Youtubers desperate for views and likes to me.

Indeed. It was the usual formula of a story created by one person, picked up by the usual "news" outlets that just trawl social media for news, then the inevitable YouTube people turned it into 10 minute+ videos for that tasty ad revenue.

How many times have you replaced a CMOS battery in your PC or any other hardware that has one? Very rarely, I'd imagine. This whole issue depends on your battery failing, not being able to replace it, as well as PSN being disconnected.

I've far more important things to worry about in life.

I am not concerned by this at all as the likely hood of a CBOMB happening to the console's seems very small risk.

Should my console ever have this happen well I guess I will just stop 'playing' video games or go back to the 'retro' era and fire up my old Sega units. :cheers:

I am not concerned by this at all as the likely hood of a CBOMB happening to the console's seems very small risk.

Should my console ever have this happen well I guess I will just stop 'playing' video games or go back to the 'retro' era and fire up my old Sega units. :cheers:

10, 15 or 20 years down the road? My original fat PS3 might be in the running for that. If it hadn't done the yellow light of death years ago that is. Usual story about nothing on the internet. By the time PS5/Xbox X have this issue we would be two or three generations further on in consoles.

Last edited:
Do people in 2021 still believe they own the games they purchase? Did they actually read the agreement when starting a game? We only own the right to use the software until they decide you use it enough. This whole Cbomb drama is for getting attention and nothing else. Your PS3/4/5 will die from something else way before the battery dies, imo. And Xbox players shouldn't worry too much either. Retro compatibility and Play Everywhere will only get better.

What about the update 9 causing major problems on some ps4? No news,update,info from sony after a week..
I've been holding off so meanwhile i cant use any online, youtube on tv,buy and dowload games, etc.

A further reminder that ultimately, emulation is the only significant way we'll get games preservation when it comes making sure these older titles are able to be played without major changes being made when they get sold for profit.

Back