Your preferred GR3/4 cars?

• Thread starter AdamA998
  • 41 comments

AdamA998

(Banned)
United States
United States
What has been your go to car for Sport mode GR3/4 races? Initially we were allowed to access any of them until recently you need to use your garage inventory. I had a pretty weak one inventory for GR4 and no GR3 so I wonder how peoples experiences have been with GR4 and GR3 vehicles? For GR.4, I have driven the Lexus, Acura NSX, Lancer, Aston martin and F type Jaguar. Out of all those, I felt the F type was a really balanced and fun car to drive. Although from the lobbies, I notice most people are using the GTR or 458, as they seem to have better straight line speed than the others. I would appreciate peoples input on their preferred GR.4 as well GR.3 cars so I can get a sense of what would be a good purchase for me, as these vehicles are quite expensive, lol.

I don't want the fastest car, I want unique, challenging and rewarding cars. I have purchased the GTR GR.4 for now, just to get a decent car to compete on GR.4 sport mode until I find one I prefer that can also compete. For GR.3, I'm taking a different approach, kind of want more challenging cars. They drive differently than GR.4 and are challenging to do good with. My first I purchased is the M6, I thought it would be unique and it is a difficult car to drive. It's not the fastest on the straights but is very close and also does well on the corners. I'm thinking my next purchase would be the Viper GT.3 as I love that they nailed the sound and it looks like a challenging vehicle to drive. I'm also considering the F type and Z4 GT.3. I am putting off Ferrari and Lamborghini GT3's as I am familiar with them already from other racing games and not in a hurry to drive them.

So what about you guys? What have you been enjoying so far?

McLaren 650S GR.3 feels like your racing a more hardcore PC sim. Requires precise steering inputs, a real joy to race.

Because of that its my favorite and also why nobody else races it online.

The Dodge Viper GTS GR.3 is the smoothest handling I've come across, easy to drive, stable etc

The vipers are out of the box super smooth and stable and reward a clean line and smooth inputs. I use the gr3 and gr4 vipers pretty much exclusively. I just wish they included the great 3rd gen rx7 or at least rx8. I wouldn't care if they were fast or competitive I love rotaries.

I have enjoyed the gr. 4 cars also. Been trying to fine tune a fine tuned machine can actually be quite challenging. I get kinda obsessed with the tuning which can lead to frustration. But driving these cars put the box has been fun.

I havent driven the gt3s much yet as i think they are a bit too quick for me to race online with yet. I have a S rating in Sportsmanship so im trying not to lose that! My driver rating fluctuates between c/b.

My favorites:
Porsche gr4
Lambo gr4
458 gr4 (trying to get a nice setup)
GTR seems really cliche right now

Id like to find a nice setup for the BMW.

I will have to get the Viper tonight!

I'm still experimenting, but at the moment I'm all in with the Subaru WRX Gr.3 . I won a really hard online race today on Brands Hatch GP with the Subaru, so I'm eager to continue the success and learn more about the car.

I'm hooked on the Scirocco GR4 (note: have just been playing the sport races and haven't even ventured into GR3 yet).

I picked it up initially because I figured it wouldn't be very common (and so far online it is not, sometimes I'll see one more in a race), and I wanted to improve my FWD driving techniques. When I saw how prevalent the GTR was and how fast some people were in it I got one, but "out of the box" it feels very stale compared to the VW. The Scirocco feels more responsive, and less civilized (even the engine and gear noise is a little more sporadic)... it's definitely not as smooth (but come on, it's a racecar, that's not necessarily a bad thing), seems to really like being thrown around.

Another nice thing about the Scirocco is it seems to out accelerate pretty much everything in a straight line, so you get a good jump on other cars right at the start heading into the first turn (I've made many a lap one pass like this... not sure I should have given out that secret). Of course it's going to understeer like mad out of the corners if you're not careful, but that really is the only area I struggle with it, corner entry is pretty great, and you can easily dial out the exit understeer by dropping the LSD initial torque... though I've found myself to be notably faster leaving the LSD and just being careful on throttle).

I have just scratched the surface with tuning. Will be trying more cars (and looking for other recommendations here) but for now this VW is surprisingly fun and keeping me coming back.

Since I don't really do Gr.4 races anymore as I prefer the faster stuff (Gr.3), I've been rotating between 2 Gr.3 cars - the GT-R and the M6.

I find the reason the GT-R is one of the quickest cars in Gr.3 is that with the correct setup, acceleration out of turns is about the best you can possibly hope for - you can put the power down very easily. I normally run with TCS set to 2, so take this with a grain of salt, but being able to get a good run out of a turn is insanely useful. There's a minor problem with certain circuits, though - without the proper tune (i.e, lots of front downforce) the front of the car will lift off the ground at spots like Flugplatz on the Nurb, or the crest heading toward the banked hairpin at Maggiore.

The other machine I use is the M6, and that's a far different experience. It's big, powerful, and very hard to get that power down efficiently. Very fun car, though. I'm not as fast as with the GT-R, but that's fine - it's more fun to drive, I guess.

I'd be using the NSX in that rotation, but that car is driving me absolutely nuts trying to find a good setup. Would be using the Bentley Continental GT3 if that was in as well.

Interesting, so many of you are racing on normal lobbies with setups? I wish I was well versed with setup tuning, but I'm currently not so I stick to sport mode. I've tried in the GTR Gr.4 in the license test, seems like a fast car. In sport mode I did not like the braking performance, almost regret purchasing that car now. And hesitant to try GTR Gr.3 now. The M6 has been a very fun vehicle to drive, it lacks in the straight compared to other cars but it also has trouble putting power down out of corners. I think the car in its stock setup is perfect for 'S' like stretches on a track. I gain time mostly on such corners. So waiting for the right track to see how it performs. I just did a race and ended up in 2nd, I can get top 3 with it but hard to catch 1st place when they put power down so well and have advantages on the straights.

I think I will pass on Gr.4 cars right now and get more Gr.3, gonna take a look at the Viper and the Toyota or the Renault. Maybe even the Z4. I've driven the 458 but in AC, and that car was fun and I would fishtail and counter steer wheel. I don't know if that works in this game or not. The M6 I've been driving is a bit scary and easy to lose control over.

Interesting, so many of you are racing on normal lobbies with setups? I wish I was well versed with setup tuning, but I'm currently not so I stick to sport mode.

I’m racing sport mode and messing with setups, didn’t play the first week but I read that then you could not change setup at all in sport mode. On the current sport events you can’t alter power/weight but have full access to tune suspension, aero, gearing, etc.

Gr. 3: Mercedes AMG GT3
Porsche 911 RSR
Nissan GTR GT3​
The AMG GT3 is stable and consistent for me to be comfortable in.
The 911 RSR is perhaps the best mid engine Gr.3 racer, and because of it, makes me happy knowing PD didn't resort to adding the nervous GT3-R.
The GTR GT3 handles like a boat if you aren't precise, but the VR38 engine makes up for it so much.

Gr. 4: McLaren 650S Gr.4​
I don't race a lot of Gr.4, aside from the awkward cockpit cam in the 650S, the car itself is quite nice in terms of stability and speed.

Havent driven allot of cars.

The 458 was oke, but not so good on the brakes.

Tried the gr4 GT-R as it seemed the car to beat. Was good on the brakes, fast in a straight line and pretty easy to drive around corners. But not as nimble as i would like, maybe need some more tuning. But i want my race cars to be rear driven anyway so even if its the best i doubt il drive it allot.

The Alfa Romeo 4C is one of my favorites so far. Nice nimble little car, very good on turn in and mid corner, but a bit tricky to get power down coming out a corner sometimes but still manageable after some tuning.

Cars i want to try next are the Porsche's and the viper's they seem pretty popular and fast in sport lobbys.

I'm only racing Gr.4 at the moment while I get used to the game.

Sold my GTR because it's too much of a cliché right now and isn't rewarding to me.

I've gone with the Viper but it's straight line speed is pretty limiting. I can't get under 1:44.9xx on Kyoto but I'm enjoying playing with the tuning.

Other Viper drivers, what downforce do you use? I've gone for full for Kyoto because of the two high speed corners and flat out S-bend. But straight line speed is really suffering.

ATM driven only the Alfa 4C. As said in another thread, I think it is better to fully focus on just a single car, expecially if you want to compete in the official test championships on November. Better learn 100% a single car than 95% 4-5 different cars just to decide which is the most "Overpower" and eventually not even adapt to your driving style. Expecially if you think that this BoP system actually may be changed in value. For example, if PD sees that 4C Gr.3 is too much strong, from the actual 105% HP BoP (+5%) may reduce it to 102% (+2%), reducing top speed of the car to make it lose 0.2s each lap on an average track.

ATM driven only the Alfa 4C. As said in another thread, I think it is better to fully focus on just a single car, expecially if you want to compete in the official test championships on November. Better learn 100% a single car than 95% 4-5 different cars just to decide which is the most "Overpower" and eventually not even adapt to your driving style. Expecially if you think that this BoP system actually may be changed in value. For example, if PD sees that 4C Gr.3 is too much strong, from the actual 105% HP BoP (+5%) may reduce it to 102% (+2%), reducing top speed of the car to make it lose 0.2s each lap on an average track.
I agree with this. But still want to try some more before i pick one to master. Driving in cockpit view i also need the mirror/cam to be useable or else i wont even bother.

IS THE SAME THE PROBLEM IS THE SYSTEM BALANCE , no have a rela balanced situation all know yet the car with most performance , nissan gt r group 3 , and porsche 911 group 4 , no sense this ... once a ....p there are a dinamic system with algorithm points to create a particolar combination weight /hp need this.

IS THE SAME THE PROBLEM IS THE SYSTEM BALANCE , no have a rela balanced situation all know yet the car with most performance , nissan gt r group 3 , and porsche 911 group 4 , no sense this ... once a ....p there are a dinamic system with algorithm points to create a particolar combination weight /hp need this.
What?

dakota u play on - line ? yes ..
now all know if u set balance performance of car in lobby , who are the car to choise ..are only 2 for Group ... this is right , i go in lobby and find on 12 car 8 Nissan gt r Group 3 because are most fast , the system no real balance performance , is right this ??? WE HAVE CAR MOST PERFORMANCES THAT OTHER.

dakota u play on - line ? yes ..
now all know if u set balance performance of car in lobby , who are the car to choise ..are only 2 for Group ... this is right , i go in lobby and find on 12 car 8 Nissan gt r Group 3 because are most fast , the system no real balance performance , is right this ??? WE HAVE CAR MOST PERFORMANCES THAT OTHER.

OK I'll have a go at understanding what you're talking about...

The Balance aligns the POWER and WEIGHT of the car only. Tyres are the same but that's about it. Everything else from a tuning perspective is unique to the car. So the GTR for whatever reason is really well tuned by default and is extremely easy to control.

The fact is that the GTR is THE car right now. People know that so they choose it. Which means you see more of them. Which means people think it must be the best. And it repeats so now 80% of most GR.4 races are GTRs.

However I'm in a Viper and I wont Kyoto twice last night, so it comes down to preference.

The GT-R is 4 wheel drive maybe that got something to do with it. I've still beaten plenty of them with the 4C and 458 though. Havent tried much other cars.

I use to drive BMW M6 for GR3 or BMW Z4 for GR4. It truly is sheer Driving Pleasure :gtpflag:

But I´m still working on my setups for the official test championships on November!

I’m currrently pretty much exclusively driving the VW Beetle Gr.3 :dopey: There are a few things I don’t like, the interior doesn’t look very ‘racecar’ and more ‘prototype’. Also, by default, 1st and 2nd gear are pretty useless as is 7th... I’d rather have a more conventional 6 gear box than this 7 gear thing... I have no skills in gearbox setups so I’m just going to go with it for now and work around it and short shift or don’t use 1st in 1st gear corners and just manage the throttle in 2nd.

I haven’t tried Gr.4 yet... but thinking about getting the Mazda Atenza Gr.4 (and Gr.3) for the manufacturers cup thingy... Currently solely based on looks for now :D

The Gr.4 cars are my favourite group of cars for sure. They are race cars based on their road cars but still have their distinctive differences. They can be 4WD, MR, FR, FF, RR They can be NA, turbo or supercharged. I love them! Gr.3 is fun too but there all cars are much more similar since they are all RWD cars.

I’ve driven the Subaru WRX Gr.4 and Ferrari 458 Gr.4 both a lot and really like them both. The WRX thanks to its 4WD feels more stable and planted, the 458 feels a bit faster though but small errors will be penalised quicker. :)
Recently also got the F-Type Gr.4 and Scirocco Gr.4, will give those a proper try this weekend.

I’m currrently pretty much exclusively driving the VW Beetle Gr.3 :dopey: There are a few things I don’t like, the interior doesn’t look very ‘racecar’ and more ‘prototype’. Also, by default, 1st and 2nd gear are pretty useless as is 7th... I’d rather have a more conventional 6 gear box than this 7 gear thing... I have no skills in gearbox setups so I’m just going to go with it for now and work around it and short shift or don’t use 1st in 1st gear corners and just manage the throttle in 2nd.

I haven’t tried Gr.4 yet... but thinking about getting the Mazda Atenza Gr.4 (and Gr.3) for the manufacturers cup thingy... Currently solely based on looks for now :D

Lol, I got second to a a guy in a Beetle last night. I had no idea there was even a beetle in the game and that guy was flying on the straights! :lol:

Gr.3: Audi R8
Gr.4: Audi TT Cup

But I signed a contract with Honda lol

I haven't signed a contract yet because I don't know if I'll be able to play the tournaments, lol. I just purchased the Viper GR.3 and it is difficult to drive. Put down a barely better time than the BMW. Once I get used to the car I think I'll be able to gain a couple seconds. Not sure what my next GR.3 purchase will be ... either the Renault or Toyota and I'll leave Ferrari and Lamborghini for last. Expensive cars tho, they're taking a toll only my wallet. :lol:

I really want to stick with the NSX for Gr.3, but man that thing is hard to drive. I repeated the Sport race at Nurburgring with the Beetle Gr.3, and it was like night and day. Won without even trying. No wonder people are hitting me from behind when I'm in the NSX since I have to brake a bit earlier for corners. And after 5 or 6 laps of tire wear, I can't keep the rear of the car behind me. T-T

Signed my FIA contract with Jaguar, and will test both cars to get them setup to my liking for those championships. The Gr.4 F-Type is a great car to drive, just a shame its not competitive due to the 4wd domination at the moment, which has led to me switching to the Mazda Atenza for the time being.

In Gr.3, the Jag is a fun car to drive, but then they all are really. The McLaren is really quick, but a bit tricky to drive consistently at that pace.

Back