• 186 comments
United States
Vermont
My top 5 would be:

1. Underground 2
2. Most Wanted
3. Shift
4. Hot Pursuit (2010)
5. I never played any other NFS games other than the ones I listed above so I can't really put any other NFS title in the number 5 spot.

I listed the games in order so Underground 2 is my favorite.

So what are your Top 5 NFS games and you don't have to list all 5 if you did not play more than 5 NFS games.

1- NFS III: Hot Pursuit - Also considered by me and many as the best arcade racing game out there.
2- NFS High St4kes
3- NFS Underground 2
4- NFS: Hot Pursuit 2 - The PS2 version.
5- NFS Hot Pursuit - The PS3 version.

1. Porsche Unleashed PC (2000): Wonderful game design, wonderful controls (best FFB I've hever had in a racing game, no joke) and sounds, and generally a game that gave the brand the ultimate amount of respect that it deserved.
  2. Hot Pursuit PSX (1998): Fantastic course design. Nicely varied car selection. Kick ass soundtrack. Huge amounts of replayability. Great UI and tons of bonus features that show that the entire thing was clearly a labor of love.
  3. Hot Pursuit II PS2 (2002): All of the stuff that the first game did, but the attention to detail in the game just wasn't as high as the original (and the courses weren't varied enough, with too many variations of the same core areas).
  4. Underground II (2004): Cool open world environment. Unparalleled car modification and performance tuning. A lot of different modes and options for racing, all of them integrated into the game really well. Pretty good physics, nicely expanded upon from the engine used in Hot Pursuit II. Really impressive looking graphics which really helped the sensation of speed. Main letdown of this one was that the soundtrack was so inferior to the first one, and the overall production values weren't as high as the original either.
  5. Most Wanted Black Edition PC (2005): Basically Underground II with some Hot Pursuit II-style cars filtered in. Physics are occasionally kind of wonky, but it has police chases again, a decent amount of customization and more really cool events (sadly no more drag racing, though). Also has a really cool progression system.

Last edited:
1) Hot Pursuit 2... I loved this game enough to buy it used for $22. It's fun, a classic, holds nostalgic values, brain-dead easy to play and has surpasses High Stakes in just about every way (the way I played it).

2) Hot Pursuit 3... The fast-pacing style of Criterion makes this exhilarating if you find the right people to play against. Autolog makes replaying offline worth playing.

3) The Run... despite the slight awkwardness, the level of technicality is immense; it's unforgiving, and intense. The pre-made body kits bring back customization without being the main focus, racing is all that matters in this game and that's all I really cared about in HP3. The vast number of unlockables will keep you playing, only wished the online community wasn't so crappy.

4)Underground 1: Introduced customization which is all honesty is very fun to do. The introduction of drag racing, and nitrous was cool too, short-lived, but cool. The step down where body damage was taken out was disappointing but understandable with changeable body kits and all.

5)High Stakes: Didn't get into this game all too much, but never the less I have attempted tourney mode once in a while.... Still haven't beaten it til this day.

Note: these are the ONLY NFS games I've ever owned.

Last edited:
1. Road & Track Presents The Need For Speed Special Edition - Owned this game from when it originally came out, hands down my favourite NFS because for its time it was amazing. It has excellent multi stage point to point races, police chases, in car view, great engine sound effects, voice overs and showcase videos of all the cars and tracks.

2. Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 - Best fun I have had racing on the PS2, great splitscreen play with friends and had a deep single player cop and racer campaign. Also excellent graphics and soundtrack.

3. Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2010 - Great homage to HP2, brought new stuff to the table but kept it true to the franchise.

4. Need For Speed 3 Hot Pursuit - Had a great selection of cars and built on the pursuit element with cool cop cars.

5. Need For Speed Underground - Was around when the tuner scene was big and made popular by F&F, was interesting to see NFS in a night time more 'street' setting (not millionaires racing around in posh supercars) also was the first NFS title to bring loads of customisation to the table.

Also own Underground 2 and Most Wanted.

Third Installment is third installment. I dubbed it that name and I will keep calling it that ;)

1. Most Wanted
2. NFS II
3. NFS III
4. NFS Hot Pursuit (2010)
5. Underground 2

Just the ones that I still would happily play to this day... if I could find them.

1. Need for Speed II
- The most exotic locations as tracks, Greek ruins, a highway near the Mediterranean sea, the Australian Outback, a high speed test track in Norway, or a fantastic run through the Himalayan Mountains. Also the most exotic cars, the McLaren F1, Ford GT90, Jaguar XJ220, Ferrari F50, Lotus Esprit V8, they were all here.

Sure there was no cops, but the game itself was so great they werent needed.

2. Need for Speed: High Stakes

Those were the only two I really liked

1. Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed - The music, the campaign aspect, the physics, my avatar :lol:. PSX or PC this game pretty much does it all for me.

2. Need for Speed 2 - The various tracks and showroom of each car makes driving each car more exciting. They make NFS games about the cars like before.

3. Need for Speed: High Stakes

4. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2

5. Need for Speed: Shift 2 Unleashed (Technically not a NFS game, but this thread can be an exception)

Third Installment is third installment. I dubbed it that name and I will keep calling it that ;)

No. NFS III: Hot Pursuit is the PS1/PC game from the pre 2000 era.

nfshotpursuit1.jpg

3) The Run... despite the slight awkwardness, the level of technicality is immense; it's unforgiving, and intense. The pre-made body kits bring back customization without being the main focus, racing is all that matters in this game and that's all I really cared about in HP3. The vast number of unlockables will keep you playing, only wished the online community wasn't so crappy.

I'm kinda interested in picking up The Run, but was scared there wasn't a lot of motivation after you finish the main story...

The challenge series will keep you busy, ONLY if you're the kind who wants competition amongst friends. If all you care about is just getting the platinum, then really don't bother. By unlockables, I just meet perks for colouring up your profile when you play online. I found this one gold star icon that looked like headphones, went straight for the requirements, wore it and was done with unlocking icons.

But at the same time, it WILL keep you busy. I don't think it's realistically possible I can get the Tier 6 RX-7 anymore; I currently have to beat 24 more autolog recommendations, but I got platinum in just about every event. This also meant I beat most of my friends so this made it even harder.

If you do get this game, add as many people as you can before you start doing challenge sheets.

1. Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2
2. Need For Speed Most Wanted
3. Need For Speed Underground 2
4. Need for Speed Carbon
5. Need For Speed ?Road Challenge?

1. Hot Pursuit 2
2. Underground 2
3. Carbon

Hot pursuit 2 is one of the funnest games that I own, playing with friend and just racing around with the cops is bliss.

Underground 2 and Carbon are close but I have so much nostalgia with Underground 2 so it gets second.

The ones I've played were Underground 1, which was fun, even when I did absolutely no career mode (arcade mode unlockables sort of did all I needed really), Underground 2, which I tried once on PS2 and thought of it as good, and then bought for the GBA :lol:, Carbon, which is my favourite and the one I've played on the most, with the way customisation worked back then, Shift 2, which was impossible, and The Run, which is actually good, which makes me one of about 7 people who like it sadly. I also have briefly tried Undercover and Most Wanted and watched some HP3. Seeing as NFS: MW has now been released as a PS2 classic via PS3 store...might try and get it at some point.

1. Hot Pursuit 2 (ps1)
2. Most Wanted
3.Hot Pursuit 2010
4.Shift 2
5.Hot pursuit (ps1)
honorable mention underground 1

High Stakes (Anywhere I can still pick up a copy? I loved this game!!!)
Hot Pursuit 2
Shift (Had some nice little details and features. Good Game, but not a good Racing Game)
Hot Pursuit 2010
Underground 2

Porsche Unleashed - wonderful game design, great gameplay, great cars, amazing realisation
High Stakes - this game was so much ahead of it's time, great gameplay, great car list, highly inovative, amazing soundtrack and great graphics
Hot Pursuit 2 - spiritual successor of High Stakes, with the updated car list and improved graphics
Hot Pursuit - many good memories with this game, also the first game I ever played
Underground - again, many good memories with this one, first game to introduce customizing (and the only game which was fun at it, since customizing became painfully overused)

Rest are crap and not worth buying/playing (with the exception of Most Wanted).

Last edited:
Back