Your worst driving habit(s):ouch:

Parnelli Bone

www.gtcarreviews.com
Premium
United States
Columbia, MD.
Parnelli_Bones
I know there's a "worst GT mistakes" thread somewhere, but this one is different because it's a HABIT of yours that you do over and over again, rather than one single mistake you've made. So...What's your worst driving habit or habits?

I have a habit of following cars during a race, in an effort to catch as much draft as i can. Doesn't matter if I'm rolling down a straight or in a corner. It's a subconscious habit of mine to follow other cars unless I correct myself.

And so if I'm following someone else closely, and they go off track and slide thru some grass, that means I go off-track! :ouch::banghead:

Last edited:
Good thread. 👍

My many, many, many bad habits... MANY.

- Anytime I'm driving through a long straight, such as New York's second straight (normal), I concentrate in the car ahead of me to see when does he brakes. Big mistake, 78% of the times they will brake extremely late, ending in a multi-collision of three to four cars (the first two, and the last two that comes with the first two's draft). :banghead:
- When the AI hits me, I let go off the throttle, and as soon as it passes me, I floor it to the bottom and crash them. Pretty funny in those tense moments of anger. :D
- Sometimes, I forget to downshift, and after I while, I say to myself "Why is it going so slow? Oh, crap! :ouch:".
- One of the worsts is to brake in front of the second place AI to ram me to the finish line, but only when I'm bored. The bad thing is that the AI misses me (it happens!!:eek: ) and I get to second place :(

And so if i'm following someone else closely, and they go off track and slide thru some grass, that means I go off-track! :ouch::banghead:

Target fixation. Very common and you'd be amazed how often this happens in LANs. I watched someone draft someone else so closely they didn't notice that they were moving across the track... the lead car dodged out of the way at the last possible moment, and the following car ploughed straight into the pit wall end and stopped dead.

Nobody could breathe for about 5 minutes after that, we were laughing so hard.

I have major problems in GT4 with throwing the car into a corner, rather than feeling friction and going smoothly. I never spin out, just go a ways sideways. This is especially evident in FWD cars.

I'm always angry that, when I draft, I don't really stop drafting during braking. Bump.

And yes, I tend to drive according to the car in front of me. That's always a fun issue when they go off, because I usually barely can't alter the driving line just enough to miss. Bump.

Oh wow where to begin.

Well When I lived in New Zealand I finished GT1 and GT2. I picked up the bad habbit of throwing the cars around the track instead of learning to drive properly. GT3 was a steep learning curve.
During that transition I went through (2) PS2's, (2) GT3 game disks, (3) memory cards, (16) controllers. I think I needed anger management courses, 🤬
Habits I broke in GT3 were last minute braking, over driving the cars, get up and walk away when getting frustrated, target fixation to mention a few.

Now I find myself trying to be too smooth at times, and seeking an AI car out when he cuts me off, rams me, in general just pisses me off and punt him as far off the track as possible.

I always ignore the braking points. Always. I usually keep one eye on the speedo and the other doing a half-arsed job of watching the actual road when I'm on a straight and I'm usually like "Come on, you can reach 7000 RPM! Come on! Yes, yes yea--oh:censored:." And there I go flying off the track into a gravel trap.

MANY times.

Last edited by a moderator:
My biggest problem is that I look back too many times. It starts with checking where the AI are. Then because I always put on racing exhausts, I get distracted by the amazing sound. So I go off course a lot when I'm looking back. :ouch:

My biggest problem is that I look back too many times. It starts with checking where the AI are. Then because I always put on racing exhausts, I get distracted by the amazing sound. So I go off course a lot when I'm looking back. :ouch:

haha i always do that, i think i look back more time than i look foward:ouch:

I think one of my biggest problems is being spoiled by games that came out more recently with better physics than gt4. So I tend to forget that I'm not driving in them and do things that GT4 doesn't really emulate well on the physics engine. So I end going off the track alot.

For me, my bad habit is to lose focus during a race and start looking at the scenery...

Most of the time I'm lucky and I catch myself before braking too late into a corner or something, but every now and then I'll slip a tire into the grass or go off line and lose a second or 2 of laptime, worst so far is I dropped a rear tire into the grass at the Ring, and spun out, hit the wall, bounced back on track, and got hit by an AI car in the drivers side :scared:

Yeah, the ring does that. Usually on the first half its soo narrow that if I loose focus for a second or two, I start spinning for what seems like eternity.:ouch:

I have a tendency to go off on the LAST corner of Grand Valley Speedway with a fast enough car. Trust me, it's sharper than you might think! ;)

I have a tendency to go off on the LAST corner of Grand Valley Speedway with a fast enough car. Trust me, it's sharper than you might think! ;)

Yup, expect to brake if you're really blazing.

FPV GT on R3s is only good for about 120mph through it.

Yup, expect to brake if you're really blazing.

FPV GT on R3s is only good for about 120mph through it.

But I don't really use FPV's though. I'm more of a Minolta Toyota 88C-V guy, but luckily that has EXCELLENT deceleration! :)

When I have a big lead I tend to pull a 180 near the finish and try to back up over the finish line. Sometimes it works, and sometimes I overestimate the gap between me and the 2nd place car.

I do that too! Sometimes, I miscalculate and end up crashing the wall, then another car comes and pushes me to the finish line :lol:

When I have a big lead I tend to pull a 180 near the finish and try to back up over the finish line. Sometimes it works, and sometimes I overestimate the gap between me and the 2nd place car.

That's pretty funny. I think we all do that at some point. I like to do it when I'm racing another person. But then I usually get beat. :dopey:

I do that a lot. I just hate it when I do it at a track with multiple finish lines like fuji or suzuka. I do it at the wrong one and I get passed. :ouch:

I have major problems in GT4 with throwing the car into a corner, rather than feeling friction and going smoothly. I never spin out, just go a ways sideways. This is especially evident in FWD cars.

I have the exact same thing. If I do a time trial I need to focus really hard not to throw the car in. It's amazing how much speed you loose on that. First you go sideways one way and you need to correct the rebound aswell. That means deceleration in the exit of a corner, which is a perfect place for acceleration.

Some of you have mentioned bad habits that I do also...so far...

1> I DEFINITELY have a habit of looking behind as I'm racing down a straight. There's a different (usually better) sound in "look behind" mode, and also I like to see who's behind me and how far back. :ouch: The number of times I've had an accident due to this behavior is actually pretty low (maybe 5%) but it's still a bad habit. I'm prone to screwing up my racing line, if not having full-blown accidents due to this.

2> I'm usually pretty good about braking points, but at least once per evening I'll miss one because I'm spacing out. :guilty:

3> And of course my worst habit by far (because it costs money) is my habit of smashing controllers if I get frustrated. Although I have to admit, after getting Mission 34 done, it's been like 4 months since I smashed a controller. :)

Last edited:
Worst habits:

1. Using Zonda brakes on your 206 because the AI's braked 100m before you wanted to at Fuji. ;)

2. Guilty of the messing-up over the finish line trick, trying to handbrake and 720* across the line. Learnt how to do it now without trouble at any track. :D

3. Not giving up my position when I know my car is truely outclassed in speed. I don't care if my nose is rubbing your back guard as you pass me, I'm trying to get into your slipstream quicker and you're not going fast enough for me to do that. :P

Mission 23 anyone?

Back