YouTube Discussion Thread

• Thread starter W3H5
  • 78 comments
I download songs all the time to play in my car using this. It won't accept videos from official sources as I think YouTube puts something into the url to prevent it from being downloaded, but if there are multiple sources you should be able to find one that works. As far as videos, there are a few things out there but I haven't used them.

That's a similar site to the one I use for audio. As for video, a simple 'ss' added after the 'www.' and before the 'youtube' will make 90% of videos downloadable, pretty useful for offline viewing when you have to fly or whatever.

I want to ask, and in asking this I don't know the legal status of it, but does anyone download from YouTube? I'm talking about songs you like for a playlist or videos to keep offline, that kind of thing.
I only ask because I used to use YT videos in my classes for the students as a reward but the internet was so sketchy at school I needed the video downloaded to avoid interruptions. Just wondering how popular downloading from YT is.

I use YTD Downloader. It works pretty well and you can convert videos within the application. The downside is that they'll constantly try to tell you to buy a subscription. But you can use it for free.

I've pretty much given up on watching TV... Now I just spend my time watching Youtube videos. Suppose I'll post my list here as well.

Regular Car Reviews
MotoManTV
AMMO NYC
Harry's Garage
Jay Leno's Garage
Petrolicious
Gears And Gasoline
Mighty Car Mods
Motor Trend Channel
The Smoking Tire
WasabiCars
Best Motoring Official
Carfection
japanmotorhead
MotorWeek
Red Bull Global Rallycross
EVO
GTChannel
The Hooniverse
Fifth Gear
Top Gear
DRIVETRIBE

JonTronShow
That One Video Gamer
Classic Game Room (now known as Lord Karnage)
Mark Brown
Writing On Games
Totalbiscuit
Brutalmoose
Caddicarus
Ahoy (aka XboxAhoy)
AngryJoeShow
DidYouKnowGaming
ProJared
Jim Sterling
Super Bunnyhop
Tarmack
HyperBitHero
Easy Allies
Escapist
Giant Bomb
Noclip

Every Frame a Painting
Cinemasins
ashens
CGP Grey
Kurzgesasgt - In a Nutshell
LinusTechTips
Screen Junkies
The Lamley Group
The Film Theorists
ExplosmEntertainment

I've pretty much given up on watching TV...

I did a long time ago but although I feel like I've broken from the shackles of scheduled programming I still end up glued to my monitor for hours on end so I really haven't done anything more than replace a tv addiction with a YouTube addiction.

There's been a lot of concern over YouTube threatening to close channels over political content they don't like, what are they, the Chinese government all of a sudden? Big channels have had to be revised due to YT's new 'standards' that have seen many losing their ad revenues and this even goes as far as channels which have nothing to do with politics.

One channels I watch from time to time is a Scandinavian guy who makes homemade weapons like crossbows and such and he received a warning for making 'terrorist tutorial videos'. What is this coming to?

It seems that the days when anyone had the right to say what they felt, however extreme, are fading away as YouTube now try to outlaw those with opinions that aren't fitting with its own. Twitter already crossed this line by banning Milo Yiannopolis, an outspoken gay conservative with a nak for indirectly offending people with his opinions. Looks like YouTube is going down that Orwellian path by trying to silence outspoken critics of the 'establishment' or at least making super difficult for them to publish videos.

What is the world coming to when the world's biggest platform for personal opinion starts to clamp down on free speech (and not hate speech, btw, that's already criminal in most countries as it should be)?

What is the world coming to when the world's biggest platform for personal opinion starts to clamp down on free speech
One of the world's biggest brands starting to narrow down on its product?

This seems as appropriate as any thread to discuss this (though I was tempted to post it as a standalone in the O&CE section): A Youtube channel has come under fire for some... questionable content involving the family's kids.

Long story short: It's a "prank video" channel that largely revolves around picking on one of the kids. Many random acts of what could very well be seen as child abuse are recorded, while the kids are incentivized to go along with this whole act because they get presents out of it.

Philip DeFranco has a video that I think sums it up. This is absolutely NSFW, so consider yourself warned — not just because of language, but some of the clips of the worst behaviour from the channel in question:

As someone who doesn't even have kids (and at this stage in life, doesn't want any), I find some of this channel's (now deleted) videos incredibly hard to watch. It makes me sick and angry in a way few things have before.

Somewhat tellingly, just about all of the DaddyOFive videos are now deleted. CPS has apparently paid them a visit before, but was not aware of the videos. The family is now saying it was all an act, and everything was staged (which arguably almost makes it worse), and is of course now threatening to sue DeFranco. Because America.

New MCM Cresta video is really good viewing. It's a shame they couldn't stretch it into more episodes or even doubled the length of it, as it seemed like they had a lot to fit in but barely skimmed the surface.

I expect it was on a deadline due to the movie tie-in so that could explain why the job seemed a bit rushed.

Most of the stuff I watch on YouTube is political podcasts. Outside of the realm of politics I particularly like Demolition Ranch:

AlternateHistoryHub:

KnowledgeHub:

Top5s:

And for keeping my Dutch in check, Enzo Knol:

After YT fixes their biggest issues with the platform, I hope they'll have a feature where users can play a video in reverse. There are some songs I enjoy which contain reversed samples and I want to hear what they sound like played correctly. All of the top results on google say that if I want to see a video backwards, I need to download it and put it into an editing software. :grumpy:

YouTube has revised its format.

Why, YouTube? Most of us were happy enough with the previous layout. Now I have to figure it out all over again. :grumpy:

YouTube has revised its format.

Why, YouTube? Most of us were happy enough with the previous layout. Now I have to figure it out all over again. :grumpy:
There is nearly no difference. It simply got cleaned up.

There is nearly no difference. It simply got cleaned up.

Stuff had been moved around.

Looking for my subscriptions this morning took me several minutes. I also have to relearn where to look for the video maker and upload time. Real first world problems.

Stuff had been moved around.

Looking for my subscriptions this morning took me several minutes. I also have to relearn where to look for the video maker and upload time. Real first world problems.
Odd. I didn't have any of those issues. All I had an issue with was finding my unlisted vids, and that took no more than 5 minutes.

I was upset that the app I had for making YouTube black instead of white had stopped working with the new update. Then I found that YouTube had added their own setting for it which is nice. Only thing I don't really like is that the red bar across the bottom of the video player now takes up the whole space in theater mode instead of being just on the video. And I still miss the days when you could reply to comments in the notification tab instead of having to actually go to the video page.

There is an option to go back to the old layout.

restore old.jpg

I kind of like the Dark Theme though. I immediately went to this video after
crossing over to the Dark Theme mode, it seemed like the most logical thing to do.
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side Theme;

Lazy Game Reviews has been a channel I've started following not too long ago. Love the quality of his work and despite not being that much of a tech person, it's enjoyable to watch his retrospectives. Also, the thrifting videos always end up making my brother and I go out to Goodwill stores to find old games and consoles.

Highly recommended.

@JockeP22 could you give me some instructions on how to revert to the old YouTube layout please? I can't seem to figure it out. Cheers.

Two car channels I've been following for car info on a prospective cars I'd like to purchase in the near future:

SavageGeese, and TheStraightPipes.

But what I really want to bump this old thread for is this channel called Rare Earth. Dude travels the globe to tell stories of historical events to offer a different perspective on these moments and what things we can learn and take away from for ourselves.

It's not a lecture; I find his story-telling to be very engaging.

What? No love for Chef John and Food Wishes?

:grumpy:

I suppose I can let it slide. After all, you are the Jasper Johns of your YouTube subscriptions.

What? No love for Chef John and Food Wishes?

:grumpy:

I did used to subscribe though his way of speech felt a bit condescending but I liked his recipes.

His channel got purged along with a load of other subscriptions that seemed to add to my procrastination.

I think I better remove my flag under the postcount. I have been looking at youtube clips about the British and Americans making fun of Belgians on television shows. Although I'm not a chauvinist and personally think Belgium is ****ed up Federal State it still hurts like hell to see that we are mocked by almost everybody all over the world. Especially by the British, such as that asshole from the Graham Norton show, Hugh Laurie, and other famous English actors. Although they claim it's meant as a joke, it clearly isn't and it is obvious they are hypocrites (e.g. Lugh Laurie)

Enjoy:

👎 :mad:

I better not read this thread again because of the jokes, insults I'm probably going to get due to my rant.

Back