YouTube Discussion Thread

• Thread starter W3H5
  • 78 comments
I think I better remove my flag under the postcount. I have been looking at youtube clips about the British and Americans making fun of Belgians on television shows. Although I'm not a chauvinist and personally think Belgium is ****ed up Federal State it still hurts like hell to see that we are mocked by almost everybody all over the world. Especially by the British, such as that asshole from the Graham Norton show, Hugh Laurie, and other famous English actors. Although they claim it's meant as a joke, it clearly isn't and it is obvious they are hypocrites (e.g. Lugh Laurie)

Enjoy:

👎 :mad:

I better not read this thread again because of the jokes, insults I'm probably going to get due to my rant.

Man, the United States gets a pretty big bit of flak too. I completely understand your frustration and anger. Don't worry, you aren't alone.

I think I better remove my flag under the postcount. I have been looking at youtube clips about the British and Americans making fun of Belgians on television shows. Although I'm not a chauvinist and personally think Belgium is ****ed up Federal State it still hurts like hell to see that we are mocked by almost everybody all over the world. Especially by the British, such as that asshole from the Graham Norton show, Hugh Laurie, and other famous English actors. Although they claim it's meant as a joke, it clearly isn't and it is obvious they are hypocrites (e.g. Lugh Laurie)

Enjoy:

👎 :mad:

I better not read this thread again because of the jokes, insults I'm probably going to get due to my rant.

If it's any consolation, 2 TV series I've enjoyed recently are both Belgian. Professor T. and 13 commandments. They're not YouTube based so it's not really for this thread, it's just a friendly post so you don't think all Brits are disrespectful to Belgians (I've actually never seen that happen, even after the world cup). I'm not sure if either title is a direct translation from the original. There's an actor common to both, Ella Leyers.

Professor T.

I can't find a video for 13 Commandments. UK viewers can watch both series in Walter Presents on All 4.

YouTube is my main source of entertainment and information. Throughout the last decade I've been accumulating subscription to channels I like. Of course I can only watch so much, but when. I can, I go back and watch whatever content I've missed.

The ones with a "*" are the ones I recommend the most even though I like them all for different reasons.

Debates / Podcasts:

Center for Inquiry
H3 Podcast
* IntelligenceSquared Debates
* Powerful JRE
Rui Unas (Portuguese channel)
* Sam Harris
The Atheist Experience
* The Rubin Report
* World Science Festival
worldwrite

Science / Humanities:

* Harvard University (lectures)
* PBS Space Time
* Stanford (lectures)
* Veritasium
* Vsauce

Religion / Philosophy:

Anthony Mongnabosco
* Bart D. Ehrman
* DarkMatter2525
* Evid3nc3
* Matt Dillahunty
NonStampCollector
* philhellenes
* QualiaSoup
* Theoretical ********
* TheraminTrees
Wireless Philosophy

Entertainment:

* Atheism is Unstoppable
Boogie2988
Colin's Last Stand
Comedy Central
Dangerfield
DarkAntics
Gotham Comedy Club
* GradeAUnderA
* h3h3Productions
I Hate Everything
* iDubbbzTV
* It's okay to be smart
* Smarter Everyday
* Thunderfoot
Tim Minchin
TL;DR

Misc:

* Bret Weinstein
* CaNANDian (all Hitchens content)
Cassie Jaye
Computing Forever
Cracking the Nutshell
Eric Weinstein
Gad Saad
Jordan B Peterson
Marcelo Twelve #M12
Pat Condell
* potholer54
* Rationality Rules

Games and Tech:

* Colin's Last Stand: Side Quest
Easy Allies
* EpicNameBro
Fharaaz Khan
Game Informer
GameSpot
Kinda Funny Games
* Marques Brownlee
* PlayStation Access
PvPSkillz
Sunlightblade
TastyPCTV
The Investigamer
* TidgneyRacing
Total Biscuit
Troy Leavitt
* VaatiVidya
* YongYea

Art & Design:

* Bobby Chiu
Brushboost
CG Master Academy CGMA
David Paget
Frank Hong
* FZDSCHOOL
* Gnomon
Gui Guimaraes
Scott Robertson
Tyler Edlin
WLOP

Cars:

* Carfection
AutoCar
* Petrolicious
Auto Express
* Chris Harris on Cars
EVO
FORMULA 1
Motor Trend Channel
The Drive

Motorcycles:

BaronVonGrumble
* chaseontwowheels
DodgeRider
* FortNine
* Motorcycle.com
RevZilla
Rocky Mountain ATV MC

I do like a bit of Fortnine. It’s one of the few motoring channels that avoided my purge because of the quality of information and well made videos.

I do like a bit of Fortnine. It’s one of the few motoring channels that avoided my purge because of the quality of information and well made videos.

They do make very good videos although their content output hasn't been great lately.

Another channel I regard as one of the best bike reviews / maintenance tips and general information on this topic is TheMissendenFlyer.

Extended and comprehensive reviews. He also makes touring blogs and other types of videos. Great stuff.

Doesn't have the same production quality of Fortnine because this is a one mane team. But information wise is just as great is not better.

So one thing I've been wondering is how I'm actually supposed to get paid from ad revenue on YT. After checking my October YT review it says I have earned over $150 in ad revenue but I haven't seen any way of being able to claim it at all.

1.PNG

So one thing I've been wondering is how I'm actually supposed to get paid from ad revenue on YT. After checking my October YT review it says I have earned over $150 in ad revenue but I haven't seen any way of being able to claim it at all.

View attachment 771636

Get in line...

south-park-celebs.jpg

I'm reviving this thread because I noticed something on the left thumb of a person making a youtube video. I warned this person to see a doctor. It is of course possible that nothing is wrong but it is better to be safe than sorry.

This is a screenshot of the thumb in question and it is the brown line that worries me.

q.jpg

qs.jpg

Couple of videos about YouTube (on YouTube) I find interesting...

Destin at Smarter everyday did a series of videos on platform manipulation on Facebook and Twitter.. they make for interesting videos....

Derek (Veritasium) also did an interesting one on Facebook..

I'm reviving this thread because I noticed something on the left thumb of a person making a youtube video. I warned this person to see a doctor. It is of course possible that nothing is wrong but it is better to be safe than sorry.

This is a screenshot of the thumb in question and it is the brown line that worries me.

View attachment 845050

View attachment 845051
This person emailed me back to thank me because of me caring but he was already aware of the problem and had it checked out a few months ago and 14 days ago and has to keep an eye on it to see if it gets any worse.

It is a youtube channel I like to watch.

So, yeah...I'm pretty sure YouTube is giving me recommendations for channels for which I've requested no recommendations.

*cough* *cough* Great Big Story *cough* *cough*

So, yeah...I'm pretty sure YouTube is giving me recommendations for channels for which I've requested no recommendations.

You need to see a doctor. You probably have a cold.

I like when you say you're not interested in a certain channel than they recommend something from an associated channel.

"We noticed you don't want to see any Ted videos, perhaps you would like Tedx Talks instead!" - YouTube Algorithm

No, Youtube, I do not...

I like when you say you're not interested in a certain channel than they recommend something from an associated channel.

"We noticed you don't want to see any Ted videos, perhaps you would like Tedx Talks instead!" - YouTube Algorithm

No, Youtube, I do not...
I went through that last week. I got a couple recommendations from obvious "clickbaity"-type channels and I promptly opted out of further recommendations from them; next time I opened the app I had a couple dozen similar channels represented.

I get that they're trying to help bust people out of ruts--and feed "hypebeast" channels--but did it ever occur to them that a "rut" can actually be comforting?

My Google news feed does the same thing. I tell it I’m not interested in something and it insists on showing my similar cards.

One of the favorite things of Youtube is to recommend me political bs when I'm watching a totally irrelevant video, say, a GTS video or random time-lapse of driving.

Good times.

I miss when people were just uploading YouTube for fun and not to make themselves famous and profitable.

People say memes/videos/etc were bad back in the day but honestly at least we didn’t polish them and manufacture things only to discard them from everyone’s mind next week.

So... as I referenced in my most recent profile post (at the time of writing), it seems that YouTuber Craig "Mini Ladd" Thompson's 2020 is getting off to a rougher start than most. In January, he and his girlfriend, the streamer SuniDey broke up, and now he's come back from a month's hiatus to find numerous copyright strikes on his videos and his channel marked for termination.

This situation revolves around his r/nosleep videos. While I have never actually watched these videos, it seems that these involved Mini Ladd reading and commenting on horror stories posted by users to this subreddit. From what I understand, Mini Ladd may have mentioned the authors of these stories in his video, but never actually asked for permission to use their works or shared his profits from ad revenue with these authors. The thing is, r/nosleep take copyright VERY seriously and will issue DMCA takedowns to those they believe are unfairly profiting off their work, and they claim that Mini Ladd has been uncooperative by making the videos private rather than deleting them. The result is that Mini Ladd's channel, which has about five years' worth of uploads and more than five million subscribers, has now received three copyright strikes and is due to be terminated by YouTube.

I'm not sure where I stand on this. While I understand that the authors of these stories are simply looking to receive credit and compensation for their work being used, I also feel that Mini Ladd is having a very rough time, especially now that his channel, his career and main source of income, is set to be removed (and unless you're a very big name like PewDiePie or Logan Paul, it is extremely unlikely that YouTube will grant you an exception to their rather draconian copyright rules). To make matters worse, Mini Ladd appears to have revealed information about the author(s) filing the copyright claim in his now-deleted tweet, leading to his fans harassing the authors. I feel that it's a terrible situation all around.

What are your opinions? Do you think it's fair that authors should receive a share of the ad revenue from their works being featured in videos? Or do you believe that stories posted online are in the public domain and therefore fall under Fair Use?

If this is in the wrong section, feel free to move or delete this post.

Back