Zeta News 2.0: New VF Commodore and Chevrolet SS

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 2,379 comments
  • 200,950 views
i like the sub 4k weight. itll be interesting to see what the mustang weighs in at when ford puts in its own 6.2. my guess is still well under 4k.
 
I like it quite a bit and it appears to be living up to the uber hype it got. I love the interior, looks great, I just hope GM has watered down with cheap feeling materials. I also hope we do get the 2.0T model as well.
 
I cannot believe that that is actually the production interior. That’s mindblowing – not since the original Audi TT have we seen such a great transfer of an interior concept to the production car.

Not only that, how they've managed to make it look like the vintage interiors as well. Granted its not spot-on with my Dad's '68 model, but its damn-close. I'm looking forward to the day when the new one arrives in our driveway... And by the sounds of it, my Grandparents may buy one for the hell of it too.
 
It's quite possibly the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.:drool: Notice the rear diffuser? That should give some downforce, not that PD would ever acknowledge that in a GT game.
I'll take a DI V6 model please, with fries.:D
 
Good looking car. I wouldn't call it "aggressive," but it still looks good. I really like the interior. I'm surprised how close to the concept it is, and how good of a job they did in making it retro.

It should sell quite well. With that many different trim levels, I'm sure most people will be able to find a car that suits them well. I'll have to reserve final judgment until I see one on the streets, because I think the Challenger is winning in the looks department after seeing one on the road yesterday. And something tells me this car won't stand out as much.
 
It doesn't have the Challenger's wild tape stripe package, though...wait 'till you can get one with Rally Stripes. Because you KNOW there'll be one. They have one for the COBALT, losh sakes...don't forget Bumblebee, either. How many replicas of THAT one do you think there'll be?
 
There are MORE photos out there...

rt20.jpg


rt4.jpg


rt14.jpg


camairbag.jpg


camrear.jpg


cambody.jpg


new1.jpg


new2.jpg


new5.jpg


...I'm beginning to wonder what it will look like without the RS sport package...
 
I like that top angle. But when viewed at a level angle, they seem to have made the front look quite cartoon-ish, or like a sketch. I would prefer it to look a little more aggressive, like the Challenger headlights do for that car, but it still looks good. And plain yellow on that isn't really doing it for me.

I would imagine the RS package is pretty subtle. Lose the spoiler for sure, maybe the black plastic on the front clip, maybe a different grille and smaller hood bulge. I could also see the possibility of doing something with that "diffuser" out back. It just doesn't really look like there is much stuff to take off the car that would make it look less sporty, and I'm sure GM wouldn't want to do much changing of major parts to differentiate different trim levels like some other manufacturers might do.
 
Dale Jr? Development work? meh?
 
I thought it was pretty cool. He will likely have a special edition of the car coming out through his father's dealership, so I'm quite certain that his word was very important when getting the car just right. It does make me wonder if they added Jeff Gordon and Ron Fellows into the mix, and for that matter, Matt Berger as well. It seems as though all of them would have equally weighty opinions.
 
“Make it turn left a little more.”

:lol:

Close to what I was thinking


*ahem*

I raise you this

wikipedia
On July 18, during an off-weekend from NASCAR, Dale Jr. crashed a Chevrolet Corvette C5-R during a practice for the American Le Mans Series Grand Prix of Sonoma at Infineon Raceway.
 
Micheal Schumacher has crashed plenty of Ferraris as well.

These aren't exactly F1 cars. I don't really recall much crashing from the other drivers.

Either way, I think this was probably done more for the advertising factor.
 
Good lord, let's not take this to NASCAR vs F1 again....
 
-> I've been looking this [Zeta] Camaro elsewhere, it really does follow the true lines of the concept years ago. But somehow by just looking at it right now it looks too plain, and already dated. The styling is more balanced compared to the long-butt Mustang and the fat-butt Challenger. But other than that, being a Camaro as it is, people will be buying this thing. :)

-> The only juicy parts of the car is the engine, and its engineered in Aussieland. 👍

-> I'm also swayed that Dale Jr. being part of the development, why not those drivers who keeps on bringing trophies from Le Man (both C5R and C6R) involved? :confused:
 
Dale Jr.? :yawn:

Oh and btw, the only reason "those drivers keep bringing trophies from LeMan" is because it's just them racing each other. :rolleyes:
 
Oh and btw, the only reason "those drivers keep bringing trophies from LeMan" is because it's just them racing each other. :rolleyes:

I don't think he was talking about the ALMS. In the 24 Hours of Le Mans they have plenty of competitors.
 
But somehow by just looking at it right now it looks too plain, and already dated.

My guess is the reason is just that we've seen it sooooo much in the last year. I mean, there are probably at least two pictures and pieces of speculation on every page in this thread.
 
-> The only juicy parts of the car is the engine, and its engineered in Aussieland. 👍

You mean chassis? The engine is a modified version of the LS3 with cylinder deactivation, the same Detroit-born engine as always.
 
^ Some thoughtful criticism there.

very


So the LT and LS both have the V6 and no Z28 in sight. I wonder how the fuel efficiency differs in the city between the V6 and V8.
 
So the LT and LS both have the V6 and no Z28 in sight. I wonder how the fuel efficiency differs in the city between the V6 and V8.

The V6 models (standard 300 BHP across the board) are said to do 27 MPG on the highway with the stick, the spec sheet there says 26 MPG with the automatic. Given its relationship to the CTS DIG with the same engines and transmissions, somewhere around 18/19 MPG in the city seems like a reasonable estimate as well. Oddly enough, only about 1 MPG lower than my Celica.

The V8 models on the other hand (400 BHP and 422 BHP respectively) will differ a bit. It sounds like the L99 V8 (that's an LS3 with cylinder deactivation, only available with the automatic on the SS) is scheduled to get 23 MPG on the highway, which seems a bit low. My guess is that with the stick and the regular LS3 heads, it'll likely see 25 MPG. City estimates are low too, probably down in the 15/16 MPG range.

I was under the impression that the LT would have a V8 package, but clearly, I was wrong. Quite frankly, it would have made the most-sense to offer the 6.0L L76 in the LT, but I don't get to make those decisions. Nevertheless, it appears as though they've got their choices well sorted, and with the Turbocharged 2.0L coming down the pipe as well, that should make things very interesting.

Also!

The RS package will be able to be applied to the SS model, meaning that dreams of a return of the RS/SS model is finally happening. Sweet!

No word on pricing yet either, but when they say "competitive," my guess is that we're looking at a $27K start point for the V6 models, probably right at $30K (or just north of it) for the SS version. That, basically, means that they've got the Mustang square in their sights.
 
422Bhp, heh? I might have to consider a SS in the next few years.
 
I personally wouldn't be surprised if the Z/28 badge came out as a wheel/tire package for LT models in the future. That, or when the Turbo 4 comes out, a shifting down of the trim levels so Z/28 takes up the current LT position.
 
Wow, 300hp in the V6 camaro....While the 'Stang is only managing that in the 4.6L V8...
 
Back