ZombieU - Surprising use of UI with the Wii U.

• Thread starter Pako
  • 6 comments
It's cute, but I still think that controller is going to be too big, and I don't like the idea of having to constantly look down at the thing.

It seems like it only works well when you hold it up so that it's right under your view of your main screen (almost like a DS). That looks okay in these ads, but am I going to want to hold it that way all the time?

I can just see people throwing these controllers around really and... breaking them rather easily.

As I don't really want to start a new thread about the game, I'll post my impressions here.

We've had the game more than two weeks now but due to FarCry 3 I have only put about five hours into the game so far - that is about to change :) It is good though, tough and a little bit cranky at times - but so full of atmosphere, suspense and things to do that the whole is definitely a worthy game of the horror survival genre.

Addressing the concerns about needing to look at the control pad constantly - it really isn't that frequent and the control pad sits well in the hands. You only use it to check what loot items you want/can carry from zombies and various other places, or to organise your belt items from the backpack - so no looting zombies until you are sure the area is clear - common sense really. You use it for other things too, such as scanning and looking for clues. It's quite handy when the in-game torch battery is too low.

I think there have been a couple of bad gameplay design choices made, such as once you have made your first foray to the supermarket, you are dumped out on the street with almost no bearings and a lot of zombies. You are therefore expected to know which way to run if you want to survive. Perhaps that was more my fault than a bad gameplay choice, as I didn't utilise the map as well as I should have. This meant that I didn't survive and so needed to defend the safe house from about ten zombies with just the standard weapons of a pistol with six rounds and a cricket bat instead of the better weapons and health packs I'd found.

Once that lesson has been learned, you do take it all a lot more seriously and become very cautious.

As most who are interested in the game probably know, you can only retreive the items you had by 'killing' your previous character - but this must be done without dying again, otherwise that backpack is lost from the game. You do however run into other player's now deceased characters occasionally and so can profit from what they have in their backpacks :)

So that's my first impression of this game. Overall very immersive, atmospheric and pretty damn tough - but it would be like that in reality, so no beef there.

Back