GT Academy 2012 (EU) General Discussion

• Thread starter Manuelos
  • 1,584 comments
Of course it is. A dream job at that.

My god, you really are bitter and twisted after your failed attempt in GT Academy. If the rules of entry have been broken then I'm sure it'll be dealt with.

No no wrong again you're starting to make yourself look silly now, if I were you I'd stop there. I was trying to win the Nats as my first aim then I was monitoring fair play in 2011. I was never going to Silverstone obviously you haven't been paying attention. I'm not eligible. I qualified this year also and didn't bother. What's your excuse ?

that is ur opinion, i see this different.

every top gamer, from the top 50 gird would be a fantastic racer! give them time to practice enough and everyone will be a top real racer!

simraceing gamers are interested in raceing, 99,9% of simracers has not rich parents or the moeny to do realracing expirience, thats the reason we play that hoppy only on a game!

put titech or some other top gamer in a realracecar, let him do this 6months every day, and then let him drive in FIA GT3, he will deystroy the pro drivers, im sure of that!!

practice is everything, in whatever we doing!

Motorsport isn't just about being a good driver. Think sponsorship, media, and Dan Holland.

Edit:

What's your excuse ?

Working on a few things behind the scenes perhaps . :sly:

Motorsport isn't just about being a good driver. Think sponsorship, media, and Dan Holland

thats true, thats why football is better :crazy:

in GTA is media important, in many competitions like F1 is sponsorship important, but is this corect ?? should not go the best driver in the F1 league or should go the guy who has the most sponsors there ??? a wrong thing like the GTA System!

a shame !

Well guys, it's the night of the wrap party and I'm completely ****faced right now... but for some reason I feel I need to write this. (after about 20 minutes of re-reading and spell checking)

All I can say is Wolfie was one of the strongest drives all week and I think he is a deserving winner. He doesn't race in any series' and all of his tests have been pretty spread out. At the end of this week he was the best and won the competition. He is also a really genuine guy and it meant a lot to him to stand on top of the podium.

I'm quite content and proud to have made it right to the end and I see this as a great stepping stone onto something new. At the start of this week I had very little track time. 8 days later I have had my first race and it was in the wet around the Silverstone GP circuit in cars that are very hard to handle even in the dry.

I have experienced this years GT Academy in its entirety. I have seen everything that goes on and I know how it works. There is a lot of TV ********, however, in the end it is a driver selection program and the cameras are just there the document it. Everything you do from day one right through to the end is evaluated and put into a computer. The driver who has performed the best will win.

Don't get too caught up in looking into Wolfie's past. He has done a lot of stuff, but at the end of the day he has talent and he wants this. I wish him the best of luck and all of you should too. He deserves this chance so support him!

Like I've said many times I've been offered money to do people's times for them to qualify in past competitions and turned them down just for the authenticity of the competition. No-one would ever have known. £1000 was the most I was offered. Now that makes me feel proud. I wonder how the judges feel after this.

Well guys, it's the night of the wrap party and I'm completely ****faced right now... but for some reason I feel I need to write this. (after about 20 minutes of re-reading and spell checking)

All I can say is Wolfie was one of the strongest drives all week and I think he is a deserving winner. He doesn't race in any series' and all of his tests have been pretty spread out. At the end of this week he was the best and won the competition. He is also a really genuine guy and it meant a lot to him to stand on top of the podium.

I'm quite content and proud to have made it right to the end and I see this as a great stepping stone onto something new. At the start of this week I had very little track time. 8 days later I have had my first race and it was in the wet around the Silverstone GP circuit in cars that are very hard to handle even in the dry.

I have experienced this years GT Academy in its entirety. I have seen everything that goes on and I know how it works. There is a lot of TV ********, however, in the end it is a driver selection program and the cameras are just there the document it. Everything you do from day one right through to the end is evaluated and put into a computer. The driver who has performed the best will win.

Don't get too caught up in looking into Wolfie's past. He has done a lot of stuff, but at the end of the day he has talent and he wants this. I wish him the best of luck and all of you should too. He deserves this chance so support him!

That's very gracious Des and this kind of attitude makes you the real winner out there, you know as well as I do that with equal experience you would be a professional racing driver right now. Its very big of you to say that.

davissi
Its not rocket science.
He wasn't calling on his gaming skills to drive the real cars, that's the point, he was calling on his real driving skills. Very advanced ones at that.

I didn't think of it like that..

Dessy182

Yeh well done man!! Is there a next step for you regarding this cup race that was spoke about?? You must be completely mentally drained after the all this!
All so, are you going to the British gt championship?

Yeh well done man!! Is there a next step for you regarding this cup race that was spoke about?? You must be completely mentally drained after the all this!
All so, are you going to the British gt championship?

No I think the race we did yesterday was actually the race mentioned in the contract. Cant go to British GT unfortunately but I'm sure you guys will enjoy it 👍

Dessy182
No I think the race we did yesterday was actually the race mentioned in the contract. Cant go to British GT unfortunately but I'm sure you guys will enjoy it 👍

Oh I see! Well man, I hope you had a good time, and I hope there is some way for you to use all the skills you have learnt in some kind of Motorsport.. You must have really got a taste for it now! Good luck :-)

every top gamer, from the top 50 gird would be a fantastic racer! give them time to practice enough and everyone will be a top real racer!

i wouldn't say top 50... but for sure, the majority of the talented guys in the GT top ranking would become racing drivers with all the support around them. look at Jann, he's a pilot now because he has psychologists, mechanics, counselors.. a whole team looking for him...

Of course it is. A dream job at that.

My god, you really are bitter and twisted after your failed attempt in GT Academy. If the rules of entry have been broken then I'm sure it'll be dealt with.

+1

Wolfie didn't break any rules. His performance didn't flatline like others with expirence. Consistantly one of the top performers in a lot of events.
Very calm and collected guy.
Worthy winner in my personal opinion.

+1

Wolfie didn't break any rules. His performance didn't flatline like others with experience. Consistently one of the top performers in a lot of events.

I think it is also worthy to note that experience does not guarantee success. Your GTA and the US GTA showed that. The person that performs the best when his performance matters the most is the victor. He clearly performed. Given this it is not possible to delegitimize Wolfie's achievement.

I would really like to see if the runners up in Europe can make a run like Sean Johnston did in the US GTA. Even if you loose GTA you are in a fantastic position compared to where you were before the competition.

+1

Wolfie didn't break any rules. His performance didn't flatline like others with expirence. Consistantly one of the top performers in a lot of events.
Does anyone know who actually created the 'virtual bedroom gamer to reality' concept before it was actually taken on by Sony & Nissan ? I'd love to know their opinion and what they were aiming to achieve.
I imaging they would have a nice balanced opinion. I'm sure Jann's opinion would be a tad different if this dude had beaten him into second last year.
I'd like to hear Dessy's genuine deep down feeling on this when he disengages from this group properly.
I'm tired of the diplomatic brand PR bull already.
I wonder what Andrea Cosaro thinks? No point in arguing for this result without hearing these selective opinions, it invalidates the debate.

it is very sad that the best simracer from every year didnt win the GTAcademy, the system is completle against simracer!

i dont know what position lukas ordinez (or however he is called) made at the GTA Qualy, the information is bad to find the PSN nicks of the winners, i speak about the last 2 years.

in the future will be the same, i dont think that ever a GTA Qualy winner (fastest simracer) can do this! so sad !!!

what a joke srsly
twissy couldnt compete yet a lmp driver wins the comp?????????

OK he IS extremly fast on GT5 but there were many fast ppl who couldnt compete due to real life experience yet he gets let through?????
omg, what a joke im so glad i didnt spend any time on this, i feel bad for people who got royally screwed here

BUT on the other hand he is extremly fast GTer and his victory is deserved, i just think that this whole "from room to cockpit" thing public media is forcing is a load of bs, gta is nothing but a good and cheap way for nissan to get fast driver(s)
GTA isnt what it makes people believe it is, some have figured that out and some have now, anyways one thing im sure is that Wolfeke will be a phennomenal racing driver - a winner, im sure of that.

Last edited:
what a joke srsly
twissy couldnt compete yet a lmp driver wins the comp?????????

OK he IS extremly fast on GT5 but there were many fast ppl who couldnt compete due to real life experience yet he gets let through?????
omg, what a joke im so glad i didnt spend any time on this, i feel bad for people who got royally screwed here

BUT on the other hand he is extremly fast GTer and his victory is deserved, i just think that this whole "from room to cockpit" thing public media is forcing is a load of bs, gta is nothing but a good and cheap way for nissan to get fast driver(s)
GTA isnt what it makes people believe it is, some have figured that out and some have now, anyways one thing im sure is that Wolfeke will be a phennomenal racing driver - a winner, im sure of that.

I disagree, I think having all that experience spoils the process of finding natural talent through the game. I predict Wolfgang Reip will be a complete flop because he only won due to experience of real driving, if the other competitors had those experiences they probably would've wiped the floor with him.
GT Academy has discovered nothing. We all fell for it because it was such an unusual competition, we all automatically assumed it would be run properly because it was the only one of its kind.
We all forgot that age old thing, human beings will always operate to their own agenda regardless of the intentions of others.

I say change the rules. Only allow those who never had a real driving license, have a verifiable ownership of a couch and weigh at least 200 pounds. Oh, and anyone who ever drove a kart should be automatically banned.

As somebody that is targeting next years academy with an eye on fitness and driving preparation, it's a kick in the balls to see the winner of this years competition be a fully fledged race car tester, complete with his racing license to boot.

The problem I have, is this will surely be an advertisement for all ex or current racing drivers with less than two years experience to get ahead of the racing pack with such an intense program paid for by Nissan. There will be more competitors with real racing experience than gamers in the finals, and that would defeat the point of the competition. Not only do we have to beat the 100's of thousands of gamers, we now have those with, lets face it, a monumental advantage with racing cars.

I'll prepare, get faster and stronger, but in the boot camp a gamer now has a massive hill to climb. I should also add that even if you improve dramatically over the week, the likelihood of getting near a race car test driver or racer with less than 2 years experience, in a single week, would be a feat worthy of winning the competition itself!

Well done for doing so well Des, I would also like to hear your opinion when the dust has settled.

Last edited:
I think people need to remember that all that matters in any given competition is who performs best that day or that week. Jann had comparably little experience and he won. Why? Because he performed when it mattered most. Wolfie did the same. There could have been another driver in the final that had even more real world driving experience and lost.

People need to keep this in mind.

Here is something that should be looked at.

http://www.westernwolves.com/content/News/A_new_driver_joins_the_ranks_of_WWRacing-200.htm

After reading everyone remarks about Mr. Wolfgang Reip on the news page and here, I can see both sides of the argument. Yes he never held a Class A or Super License. Yes he clearly has more track time behind a real car. Though after reading this post on IRacing and looking over the videos of him clearly testing cars that require a SUPER License to drive during a race but not to test. Mr. Wolfgang Reip is clearly qualified to have participated in GT Academy no questions asked. All the video and the post on I Racing clearly state this. But the rules state that no participant must have a class A or super license to participate before entering GT Academy. It has nothing in the rules about testing. After seeing the videos and reading the post of him the European round shouldn't be redone.

I see someone has already posted the link to Iracing.

Last edited:
Seriously guys, how can you not expect at least a few people with lot's of real seat time experience but no serious monetary backing to try their hand at GTA? There's a real racing seat in a real racing car on the line (so what that it's officially just for one race?), a lot of people with IRL racing experience will take it up as the time goes if they see that it's a way to get themselves into decent cars.

I think people need to remember that all that matters in any given competition is who performs best that day or that week. Jann had comparably little experience and he won. Why? Because he performed when it mattered most. Wolfie did the same. There could have been another driver in the final that had even more real world driving experience and lost.

People need to keep this in mind.

I agree with this. Just because he is lucky enough to have a chance to test a real race car doesn't really guarantee he will magically have an advantage in the competition.

He probably test for only few days, which is not enough to make him an experienced race car driver like people exaggerated him to be.

If i get a chance to test a formula 3 for like two days, i would laugh at someone that said i have a superior driving experience which is not close to the truth.

He probably test for only few days, which is not enough to make him an experienced race car driver like people exaggerated him to be.

If i get a chance to test a formula 3 for like two days, i would laugh at someone that said i have a superior driving experience which is not close to the truth.

He has test very much in different race series!

95% of GT5 players havent yet an trackday on a racetrack like me!
I have for example only one time driven a low powered kart with friends for 1hour & 40euro!

Should i feel that silverstone will be unfair for me?
Of course, really unfair, im one of the best gamer and didnt see any chance against people with much private trackdays or against people with much race experience!

Thats why im say, it should win the best gamer and not the guy that has money and time for trackdays and so on.
Gta is not different like an other raceingteam out there, they search for people with experience and not for us gamer!

I'm actually even more delighted with how well I did now. I still have nothing against the guys who went in with more driving under their belt. To be able to compete with them with so much less experience is a good feeling. The french contestant also seems to have been doing quite a bit since 2009 and has a rally license. Then you have 2 contestants in their early 30's as well who I'm sure would have done something more than me along the way.

Like I said, no bad blood from my side. Yes it would have been interesting if the playing field was a little more level, but I don't think that will ever happen. Anyone going for next years competition should start aiming to do track days, lessons and tests because on the final day, every extra minute of experience on track will help you stand out from the others.

dsgerbc
Seriously guys, how can you not expect at least a few people with lot's of real seat time experience but no serious monetary backing to try their hand at GTA? There's a real racing seat in a real racing car on the line (so what that it's officially just for one race?), a lot of people with IRL racing experience will take it up as the time goes if they see that it's a way to get themselves into decent cars.

Because it would probably cost stupid amounts of money, you got a spare 50 grand to spend going around testing those sort of cars?

The westernwolves article has now been edited to remove all reference to racing cars and karts and LMP2 test video has been remove from youtube, nice GT Academy I hope you're proud of your competition.
If they put their hand in their arse pocket and spent some money on Arnaud, Thibault, Lars, Dan and some of the guys from this year it wouldn't be so bad but from now on this competition will only get worse, the precedence has been set.

Oh dear, guys it's not rigged. I could have easily gone out on Friday and qualified and few places higher and then went on to win the race and the competition. Would you say it was rigged then?

davissi
The westernwolves article has now been edited to remove all reference to racing cars and karts and LMP2 test video has been remove from youtube, nice GT Academy I hope you're proud of your competition.
If they put their hand in their arse pocket and spent some money on Arnaud, Thibault, Lars, Dan and some of the guys from this year it wouldn't be so bad but from now on this competition will only get worse, the precedence has been set.

Oh man! That don't look very good.. Maybe Nissan don't want a video of there new driver driving someone else's lmp car?

Back