GT5 Track Editor Thread

• Thread starter Tapey
  • 1,324 comments
So we can create a circuit slightly longer then Spa and do an endurance race on it. SWEET!!!

I wonder...do you guys think that we could download the best point-to-point tracks and cue them up for a lobby trials day or something? Like a rally day out and the player with the quickest time wins.

Latest news on the 'Course Maker'

Is anyone else getting the impression that you select the 'theme', the length of track and by the looks of things whether the track is a circuit or a point to point rally stage/hillclimb/sprint. But then the computer randomly generates a layout?

I know i'm just speculating here, but i see no mention of the user being able to select the actual layout, just options to influence the style of the course...

Aparently when you go on to the sector tabs you can adjust each sector more specificaly, by changing the number of corners, camber of corners straights and some other stuff that I forget :(

Thats actually alot longer than I expected. What I think is really cool is choosing a specific time (5:30pm, 7:00am, etc.).

10 Km is more than enough for a looping circuit, but for a point-to-point course it might be not. Races would not be very long.

The track 'generator' like in V-Rally 2 would be a reasonable start.

You select a few variables (scenery type, length, how 'bendy', how 'hilly') and it then just generates a 'random' track from those properties.

This would work OK if they were to do rally stages, but might be a bit difficult to do for online races...

Either way, it would give great replayability for those of us who like to just take a car out for a drive, imagine being able to just generate infinite miles of mountain road! :)

Got my wish from post #35 👍

You can set settings for each section as well, but it's procedurally generated

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-19-gran-turismo-5-preview?page=2

It would cool if you could drag those blue circles around and move each sector

Think of it as a never ending supply of countryside roads to explore 👍
Drift teams will have a ball. Touging at night with high beams to flash out the other drivers :)

It would be a major disappointment if not.

Also, I'm a bit peeved that the terrain seems to be fixed for a given "theme".
Hopefully more will become available via DLC, or something. Either that, or they find a way to generate the terrain on the fly...
Touge courses typically rely on mountainous terrain; this is problematic for random courses, as you could end up with silly gradients. With fixed terrain, the options are somewhat limited in that respect.

It looks like it's a patch of 3.5 x 2.25 km -> almost eight square kilometres. Not bad. 👍

They are, and you can give them to friends if you want or keep them on your PS3 for private use!

It would be a major disappointment if not.

Also, I'm a bit peeved that the terrain seems to be fixed for a given "theme".
Hopefully more will become available via DLC, or something. Either that, or they find a way to generate the terrain on the fly...
Touge courses typically rely on mountainous terrain; this is problematic for random courses, as you could end up with silly gradients. With fixed terrain, the options are somewhat limited in that respect.

It looks like it's a patch of 3.5 x 2.25 km -> almost eight square kilometres. Not bad. 👍

it seems that way, that square block has contours, it seems to be a set map. i think if we have the ability to move those blue circles you could at least define, in a general direction valley runs etc.

Its a let down that the game generates the track randomly from parameters you set rather than allowing you to plan the course exactly as you want and even recreate real tracks accurately. However I'm so happy that we finally can race point to point although it would have been nice to have a coastal road theme for that.

I don't agree with KY that its hard to program and implement, its like building a slot car track... you have pieces and you lay them out how you like and many types of game have a similar system. I guess I would have much prefered liveries over this mode which in a way turned out not like it was hoped to be.

Robin.

Point To Point!!! THANK YOU PD AND KAZ!!! YOU REALLY LISTEN!

To the haters, you haven't seen how well it can generate random courses (neither have I but its PD were talking about). But believe me @ 10km max per course theres something for everyone, everytime.

POINT TO POINT!!!

I think more themes will be announced. As someone else mentioned, the scroll bar is at the top, with more to go. I reckon there's at least another two - we know that there has been some alpine-style course shown (FT-86 trailer) and one a bit like El Capitán / Yosemite. Hopefully, some themes won't be announced, and will be a surprise. Who knows, maybe even some of the new photomode locations could have this functionality? But now I'm just getting ahead of myself...

Seriously though, look at the photograph of the themes you can choose from, notice how the scroll bar is down 50%. Should that mean we have another 4 themes to choose, making it 8 ??? This is awesome!!!!! :dopey:

photo04a-e1282210328819.jpg

Last edited:
Double post?

And, it could only be an additional two themes, knowing what scrollbars are like... it could also be more than four. It depends on how the scroll bar was designed.

Double post?

And, it could only be an additional two themes, knowing what scrollbars are like... it could also be more than four. It depends on how the scroll bar was designed.

Sorry for the double post :indiff:

Kaz said only 3 available (not including Toscana) so we could be getting somewhere..

This is something I simply cannot wait for. I will do my best to make a rendition of the Dragon. Whether I fail or succeed is up to the software... :D

In the spirit of having a million monkeys at a million typewriters eventually writing the complete works of Shakespeare, if we can define enough sectors* and randomly generate each sector based on the parameters for that sector leaving the others intact, eventually people could create tracks that at least resembled real tracks, if not exact...

*I seem to remember reading that you can define the sectors, as opposed to it being a fixed 4. Don't know for sure though, maybe on that pulled IGN article...

This is something I simply cannot wait for. I will do my best to make a rendition of the Dragon. Whether I fail or succeed is up to the software... :D

Deals Gap is about 11 miles long = 17.7 Km.
So unfortunately not, unless the 10 Km limit will be increased.

By the way, if it gets included in the game, the godly Stelvio Pass we've seen in a video some time ago is about 25 Km long.
It would seem odd to me that the longest point-to-point track possible made with the Course Maker would be way shorter.
Still hoping for a limit increase just for point-to-point tracks...!

By the way, if it gets included in the game, the godly Stelvio Pass we've seen in a video some time ago is about 25 Km long.
It would seem odd to me that the longest point-to-point track possible made with the Course Maker would be way shorter.
Still hoping for a limit increase just for point-to-point tracks...!

True if they keep it as is .. could people not design it like in various stages..( just to compensate though)...

Although judging by the various changes to prologue its possible they would change certain aspects of the game after release so it could be extended somewhat over time...

This will be a really cool feature, but will have some limitations I wasn't expecting. But, hopefully this will be the start of something that will become a norm in the GT series. It will only get better every time and could receive some updates on GT5.

In the spirit of having a million monkeys at a million typewriters eventually writing the complete works of Shakespeare
If you had a million monkeys at a million typewriters bashing away randomly for an infinite amount of time, you would get a copy of the complete works of Shakespear. In fact, you'd get an infinite number of copies. You'd also get an infinite number of copies of every single book ever written, and indeed, not yet written.

In the spirit of practicality, if you take away the element of infinity, even if you had a trillion monkeys bashing away on a trilliion typewriters, the sun would have burnt out way before even replicating one single, short sentence, let alone the entire works.

On-topic, I find it amusing how people still manage to find fault with every new feature added. Why can't people just be happy that they now have the capacity to generate courses in addition to those already in the game?

On-topic, I find it amusing how people still manage to find fault with every new feature added. Why can't people just be happy that they now have the capacity to generate courses in addition to those already in the game?

From my perspective, I suppose it's a way of curbing the over-active imaginations of some, who then come plummeting to earth and flood the forums with wailing when their expectations are not met.

In the spirit of having a million monkeys at a million typewriters eventually writing the complete works of Shakespeare, if we can define enough sectors* and randomly generate each sector based on the parameters for that sector leaving the others intact, eventually people could create tracks that at least resembled real tracks, if not exact...

*I seem to remember reading that you can define the sectors, as opposed to it being a fixed 4. Don't know for sure though, maybe on that pulled IGN article...

The problem is that the only parameters we can choose is the terrain type and whether we want the section to be fast, slow, sharp corners, fast corners. I don't think we even get to pick the shape or layout of the track.

Back