◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,821 comments
I agree 100%. Everyone has the same combo, that's the entire point of SNAIL spec racing! Whether I like the combo or not, I try to get the best I can from it, and some combos are tougher than others to find that. I remember I didn't kike the Corvette @ Silverstone for a while, but with practice, once I found the right braking points and line for my driving style, the car came to me. Can't always discount combos you don't like!

I'm not complaining, I'm trying to start conversation. What tracks do you like to drive it at?

It sure sounds like complaining to me, and that's the 2nd or 3rd time you've voiced your opinion on it. Yes, it's a forum, we're all entitled to opinions, it's just not going to make a difference with this style of combo selection we have here.

I like racing at all tracks. Every track has its challenges, and if I find a track that proves to be more of a challenge for me, I focus on it more to make it work. When I find that right line through that course that's getting the best of me, it's a great feeling.

You are really missing my point. And you're reading into things because I never directly said I dislike the current combo.

I like the car anywhere. I get that some people like that it's been in the same place because they can continue to get better there. Others (like me) may have enjoyed it's time at Silverstone and would like to see what kinds of battles can be had at other tracks. This speaks nothing against what it is now in any way. Please let that be known.

You are really missing my point. And you're reading into things because I never directly said I dislike the current combo.

I like the car anywhere. I get that some people like that it's been in the same place because they can continue to get better there. Others (like me) may have enjoyed it's time at Silverstone and would like to see what kinds of battles can be had at other tracks. This speaks nothing against what it is now in any way. Please let that be known.

I raced it around Deep Forest a while back and it was a blast. This little car will work around almost every track.

We only have so much control over where we'll be racing which cars. I'd love to see what the car can do elsewhere as well, but I dont have control over that, so why would I bother putting up a fuss about it? I personally like trying any given challenge, which is one reason why I came here to race at SNAIL. If one combo turned out to be a Subaru 360 at Nordschleife, I'd do it. Having 2 new combos each week, and seeing how people can improve on that third, which typically makes for much cleaner and better racing, is a fun challenge!

IMHO - How about we/somebody/me(?) open a room, label it "SNAIL TESTING - WSR 1983" and post the Room Numbers on this thread. No set time, just random - and see if a group will join to try that Sweet Car on several tracks.

Doesn't have to become a Series - just an enjoyable SNAIL adventure into "How About .....". I suspect many folks, all across the Division spectrum would join in.
No points - No ongoing organization ........ just enjoy it while it lasts.

As a noob, i liked the aston martin. fun car, brakes suck though

It is a very fun car, but it's hard stopping a boat that quickly haha. At RBR it's actually a fun drive. The car can stretch it's legs a bit, and the short laps are good at that course. I think we'll see some good passing there. In practice it was good to sit back and watch battles go into the braking zone. The extra speed scrubbed off lets the third car trailing them slip through or compete out of the corner into the following straight.

Win a prize and pick a new track then. Complaining about it all the time won't make it a heck of a lot better.
Oversimplifying much?

1st place prize picks the new car and track, to replace the #1 voted off combo
2nd picks car or track of #2 voted combo
3rd gets leftovers

So if DP or anyone else wanted to change the track they would need to either win 1st or 2nd place, AND that combo would have to have been voted into the corresponding position to allow their choice to affect it. AND if they were third, it would have to all come together in some infinitesimal chance correlation of all of the above factors.

Simple... :/

Edit: and if say, a few weeks from now someone won and chose to bring the wsr back on a different track, would they not get blasted for repeating?

Oversimplifying much?

3rd gets leftovers

So if DP or anyone else wanted to change the track they would need to either win 1st or 2nd place, AND that combo would have to have been voted into the corresponding position to allow their choice to affect it. AND if they were third, it would have to all come together in some infinitesimal chance correlation of all of the above factors.

Edit: and if say, a few weeks from now someone won and chose to bring the wsr back on a different track, would they not get blasted for repeating?
Exactly what I was thinking. Additionally, there is a chance WSR gets the boot entirely. 3 great combos this week. It wouldn't surprise me if it is 33.3% voting across the board this week.

Oversimplifying much?

3rd gets leftovers

Before any of that could happen, the driver wanting to win the prize to make the change would have to show up and race the entire night to have a chance to even be in the running for those things.

It is a very fun car, but it's hard stopping a boat that quickly haha. At RBR it's actually a fun drive. The car can stretch it's legs a bit, and the short laps are good at that course. I think we'll see some good passing there. In practice it was good to sit back and watch battles go into the braking zone. The extra speed scrubbed off lets the third car trailing them slip through or compete out of the corner into the following straight.

Every hard brake in the aston martin feels like trying to stop the titanic from hitting an iceberg. ya win some ya lose some. I had a harder time with over throttling 2nd gear and ending up in a drift.

Hey, ive tried a few practice races...would be interested in joining? Thanks

@Rangerlife

Here's your official S.N.A.I.L. Welcome Post!

Thanks for your interest!
Here's what you need to know (and do) in order to join:

We run a clean league by enforcing a strict penalty system based on the S.N.A.I.L. OLR (which is a modified version of the GTP OLR). We also expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide.
Please become versed in both if you aren't already. Once that is complete, please follow the steps below to complete your entry into the league:

1. You take the S.N.A.I.L. OLR and Racecraft Test

2. You run the Time Trial and submit your information by 23:59 EST on Saturday night if you want to race this Sunday.

3. @JLBowler PM's you with your assigned Division that we feel will give you the closest competition. You will be added to the drivers list.

4. Send a PSN friend request to the Race Director or Primary Host from your assigned SNAIL Division. Sunday night you will need to sort the online lobbies by friends and join the lobby named 'snailracing.org Division_(x) based off your Division placement from JLBowler. That lobby will be where you race Sunday.

5. Place the following links (URLs) in the favorites (or bookmarks) in your web browser for quick reference. Please make every effort to read and understand the following links. Over the years a great deal of time and effort has gone into creating this league and we would like nothing more than to have you but we ask that you take the time and effort to do your homework. 99.9% of any question you may have about SNAIL can be found in the posts below. Now if you've actually read this, post a :dunce: in this thread.

6. You drive fast and clean on Sunday 👍

Again, the original post has everything you need to know about what to expect on Sunday night and what you will need to have completed in order to be competitive. If you have any questions, please feel free to post your question on the thread.
If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, please follow the instruction contained here.

During the week we run a number of different events, we encourage all SNAILs to join as many as possible.
Welcome to S.N.A.I.L. :cheers:

I had a harder time with over throttling 2nd gear and ending up in a drift.
pacific_rim_drift_2_fast_by_bobbyrubio-d6hlsoa.jpg

Just a general rules question...

OUTBRAKING OPPONENT: I've noticed when racing with the D1/2 drivers that outbraking is part of their driving tactics. Is this ok to do, or avoid entirely on Sunday (unless this is the norm in your division; familiarity among drivers)??
The rules state 1/2 (basically) car overlap is required before the lead car's turn in point. It says nothing about overlap before the breaking point of the lead car. On several occasions I've had cars not have overlap before I turn in, but as I hit my brakes they wait a split second longer and get the overlap in the brake zone. It is the D1/2 drivers that do this. I am not complaining, just an observation with a question for clarity attached to it. I enjoy racing Hydro, R rated, proper111, and many of the others. Again, not a gripe or b****; just a question.

OUTBRAKING OPPONENT: I've noticed when racing with the D1/2 drivers that outbraking is part of their driving tactics. Is this ok to do, or avoid entirely on Sunday (unless this is the norm in your division; familiarity among drivers)??
The rules state 1/2 (basically) car overlap is required before the lead car's turn in point. It says nothing about overlap before the breaking point of the lead car. On several occasions I've had cars not have overlap before I turn in, but as I hit my brakes they wait a split second longer and get the overlap in the brake zone. It is the D1/2 drivers that do this. I am not complaining, just an observation with a question for clarity attached to it. I enjoy racing Hydro, R rated, proper111, and many of the others. Again, not a gripe or b****; just a question.
braking zone does not equal turn-in point. But we will see what a Steward has to say.

Outbraking someone is a legal move as long as you are able to gain overlap before the lead car's turn in point. The rules say nothing about overlap before a brake point because a brake point doesn't matter.

I've seen too many IR's filed with a driver claiming they were dive bombed when in reality they just got beat in the braking zone.

Outbraking someone is a legal move as long as you are able to gain overlap before the lead car's turn in point. The rules say nothing about overlap before a brake point because a brake point doesn't matter.

I've seen too many IR's filed with a driver claiming they were dive bombed when in reality they just got beat in the braking zone.
AhHa! That's what I thought. Hhhmmm.

A high risk move that should only be attempted with. 2 competent competitors. That can ruin a race for both parties. IMO.

I'm one of those that filed a few such IRs looking to be set straight.

What happens when they overestimate their braking and end up causing contact or other negative outcome?

As long as both drivers respect the track positioning, there shouldnt be any problems. Patience and controlling your adjusted racing line are key. Sometimes it's tough to be patient though haha

I'm one of those that filed a few such IRs looking to be set straight.

What happens when they overestimate their braking and end up causing contact or other negative outcome?

Obviously if there's a collision that affects the outcome on exit, the other rules come into effect. If the late braking driver making a pass misjudges and hits the one they are passing, they would be at fault. If the one getting passed turns in after overlap is established, and causes a collision at the apex, they would likely be at fault. I didn't attend the racecraft clinic that was put on earlier this week, but those are things that would likely be covered there.

Last edited:
Back