◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,840 comments
From my understanding of things, as they realize they have misjudged the braking they should make all efforts to avoid contact, and if contact is made and you improve your position, you must give it back.

That's a good answer and I'll add to it with something else that I see all to often.

If you are following a driver and you realize that you have missed your brake point when you are behind them, do not try and miss them to the direction that the turn is going. You should direct your car to the outside of the corner so that the only thing you will hit is the wall or the grass or the sand. By trying to move to the inside of the turn, the only thing you're going to hit is the other car and then you have made your mistake into a penalty and adversely affected the race of another driver just because of your mistake.

Also, four wide into a 90 degree corner doesn't often work well. Even if you have overlap on the car next to you, you may not have overlap on the other two cars that are already there. On top of that, it shows very poor situational awareness to try and go four wide into a tight corner. If you're the 4th car to get in there, chances are the penalty will be on you if it gets reported.

From my understanding of things, as they realize they have misjudged the braking they should make all efforts to avoid contact, and if contact is made and you improve your position, you must give it back.
What if it was their intent to "outbrake" the ahead car and caused contact? At what point in the pass does the passer become the ahead car?

:D:lol: No, fool. Didn't want to @ Ed or ed on the forum so stuck a space in there.

What if it was their intent to "outbrake" the ahead car and caused contact? At what point in the pass does the passer become the ahead car?

:D:lol: No, fool. Didn't want to @ Ed or ed on the forum so stuck a space in there.

I know, I know. We didn't get it covered in the clinic the other night so I'll give the answer. The behind car becomes the ahead car only when they have completely cleared the car that was the ahead car. This means the rear bumper of the car making the pass is completely ahead of the front bumper of the car that was being passed.

My slide ruler is broken, so I took a stab at some calculations with my abbakus...

If I follow closely behind a car (say 0.1 seconds at 170 mph), why can I not brake at the exact same point (0.1 sec later) as the car ahead of me?

At that speed your bumper to bumper distance is going to be approximately 12 ft - which is reasonable
If you have non stickey tires and you brake at say 0.75 g's

Then you are going to tap the ahead car's bumper in approx 185 ft. The ahead car will be going at approx 80 mph and the behind car will be approx 100 mph at that point.

So, you can brake at the exact same time, but you can't break at the exact same spot (that 13-15 ft car length makes all the difference)

So, when you follow closely, remember to brake earlier than your normal brake point.

Last edited:
I know, I know. We didn't get it covered in the clinic the other night so I'll give the answer. The behind car becomes the ahead car only when they have completely cleared the car that was the ahead car. This means the rear bumper of the car making the pass is completely ahead of the front bumper of the car that was being passed.
Don't need to make it more clear than that. But something to be aware of when you do make the pass, the clipping (programmer term for an objects border. Think the invisible coded wall that makes the visible spirit of the wall a barrier) can be wonky. So you maybe seem to have passed the car, but end up still hitting them when getting back to the outside. I try to wait until I have about 1/2 a car between myself and the person I passed, or until I can see the entirety of their car in my rearview before getting back on the line. I have and have had on me passes that looked clean even in replay, and yet still have contact happen.

@Rednose58 that sir is a great point right there. Add to it the effect of draft, I almost always hit the brakes before the guy in front of me if I am within a car length of them.

My slide ruler is broken, so I took a stab at some calculations with my abbakus...

If I follow closely behind a car (say 0.1 seconds at 170 mph), why can I not break at the exact same point (0.1 sec later) as the car ahead of me?

At that speed your bumper to bumper distance is going to be approximately 12 ft - which is reasonable
If you have non stickey tires and you brake at say 0.75 g's

Then you are going to tap the ahead car's bumper in approx 185 ft. The ahead car will be going at approx 80 mph and the behind car will be approx 100 mph at that point.

So, you can brake at the exact same time, but you can't break at the exact same spot (that 13-15 ft car length makes all the difference)

So, when you follow closely, remember to brake earlier than your normal brake point.

... Well said 👍

Wish my brain would/could remember that ....... regularly, instead of spasmodically. As in, "Oh yeah, I'm spose to break sooner!!!!!! And then the body says to the brain, "That was back there, BEFORE you hit his bumper!!!!"

Sorry - the brain and the body get into these arguments quite often. The body blames the brain - for the testosterone and adrenaline surges. Then, not backing off at all, the brain blames the body for not being able to follow instructions. Of course, the body re-joinders by saying the brain controls the hormones and that just confuses everything.

It's a never ending cycle ....... they even get to arguing at the start of a race - AND THE CAR DOESN'T GO ANYWHERE, it just sits there, Dag-nab-it !!!

Last edited:
Wish my brain would/could remember that ....... regularly, instead of spasmodically. As in, "Oh yeah, I'm spose to break sooner!!!!!! And then the body says to the brain, "That was back there, BEFORE you hit his bumper!!!!"

Sorry - the brain and the body get into these arguments quite often. The body blames the brain - the brain blames the Brain for testosterone and adrenaline surges. Of course, the body re-joinders by saying the brain controls the hormones.

It's a never ending cycle ....... they even get to arguing at the start of a race - AND THE CAR DOESN'T GO ANYWHERE, it just sits there, Dag-nab-it !!!

.... and the brain is the most important organ in the human body ... according to the brain

My favorite "following" error is when you're closely battling someone in front of you for several laps, and then they misjudge a corner and head straight off. Followed directly by you making the same mistake. Tunnel vision :lol:
That is so true flatlines, ahahah! It happened to me too...
And Falango correctly mentioned the mistake I see happening more often not only in snail but almost everywhere you race... The early breaking when following someone close. Its funny to realize how many people have no idea of this little detail.

There is a big difference between outbraking someone and missing your braking point.

Without getting too mathematical about it, I would always consider a good outbraking manoeuvre being the ability to brake later than your opponent, gain position and complete the turn in a manner that is completely in control and clear to the driver you are competing with. Done well it should not increase the chances of contact. There would have to be a degree of overlap, whether inside or outside, going into the braking zone so the other driver has to react to and respect the clear track position gained by the car that has outbraked him/her.

Being good on the brakes is every bit a part of the art of fast driving as is maintaining optimum corner speed and maximising exit speed.

ATTENTION ALL DIVISION 6 DRIVERS

I will be hosting division 6 on Sunday night. Our regular host has asked that he be excused due to connection problems as of late, and our backup will not be around this weekend. Please ensure that you send a friend request if i am not already on your list or you will not be able to race. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

@pkenuelo
@GTP_Nobby
@goofytyler
@TomMang_68
@Nail-27
@singlepaddy
@BayouSimDrifter
@Handlebar
@DMacs13
@Jakedog23
@HugoNout
@Jayc2k
@MajorBlixem
@dexatron
@Lawndart
@Flamango247

As i understand with passing as clean as possible into a turn, if you don't have enough overlap before making the turn, back off and then try again later on. For example, at the Nurburging GP tracks at the first turn after the start/finish line, if i start in second place, i know i can take the turn from the inside and pass without incident. Overlap is if more than half of your vehicle isn't past the front end of the vehicle next to you, don't force a pass. Wait for the opportunity to make a pass later on.

All this talk about what to do, and what not to do under braking is quite interesting actually... It all depends on the circumstances of what's actually going on. So really, 90% of the time 'Corner rights' don't play a big part of what's ACTUALLY going to happen in the upcoming corner. For example, If I head down the inside of a lead car in a pack, and he has half a car on me by turn in, I'm not going to check up for him just so he can run his line. I'll make sure I don't wash up on him, but I'm not slowing down any because 9/10 times someone's following me through, and me checking up would create a domino effect. I might get my wee-wee slapped for this, but it's how I race on the track and it works there.

Good morning I am looking to take part in an event that runs on either a friday or Saturday between 11pm and 9.am GMT. would really appreciate if can advise if any event at the moment or future event I may be eligible PSN: SALTIRE_RCN_03, Car #03, car coulor light blue white wheels. Prefer racing cars.

Would like to register for your Sunday league.

Last edited:
Haha ha yea I always have Wednesdays off but it changes every week. I could pick another day to always have off but it can't be a weekend day. I'm too much of an asset to not be there to help with the night truck on weekend deliveries. As it is I sometimes get a weekend day off so I'll leave it as "always Wednesday" and a random day or two. This week I'm off Sunday (this coming Sunday).

Lol. I didn't realize this would lead to such a great discussion. That said, another issue that occurs is the passer not holding the inside line thru the turn. So I get out braked, fine, I hold my outside line and the car that out braked me ends up side sweeping me coming out of the turn (seldom the league racers, mainly "noobs", or general public).

If I get out braked, fine, I would just like them to hold their line thru the turn and see if they truly made the pass. That's why I seldom race in non league rooms. I also wanted to give a heads up to the new comers to SNAIL; be sure to hold that line.

Good morning I am looking to take part in an event that runs on either a friday or Saturday between 11pm and 9.am GMT. would really appreciate if can advise if any event at the moment or future event I may be eligible PSN: SALTIRE_RCN_03, Car #03, car coulor light blue white wheels. Prefer racing cars.

Would like to register for your Sunday league.

@GTD_druid

Here's your official S.N.A.I.L. Welcome Post!

Thanks for your interest!
Here's what you need to know (and do) in order to join:

We run a clean league by enforcing a strict penalty system based on the S.N.A.I.L. OLR (which is a modified version of the GTP OLR). We also expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide.
Please become versed in both if you aren't already. Once that is complete, please follow the steps below to complete your entry into the league:

1. You take the S.N.A.I.L. OLR and Racecraft Test

2. You run the Time Trial and submit your information by 23:59 EST on Saturday night if you want to race this Sunday.

3. @JLBowler PM's you with your assigned Division that we feel will give you the closest competition. You will be added to the drivers list.

4. Send a PSN friend request to the Race Director or Primary Host from your assigned SNAIL Division. Sunday night you will need to sort the online lobbies by friends and join the lobby named 'snailracing.org Division_(x) based off your Division placement from JLBowler. That lobby will be where you race Sunday.

5. Place the following links (URLs) in the favorites (or bookmarks) in your web browser for quick reference. Please make every effort to read and understand the following links. Over the years a great deal of time and effort has gone into creating this league and we would like nothing more than to have you but we ask that you take the time and effort to do your homework. 99.9% of any question you may have about SNAIL can be found in the posts below. Now if you've actually read this, post a :dunce: in this thread.

6. You drive fast and clean on Sunday 👍

Again, the original post has everything you need to know about what to expect on Sunday night and what you will need to have completed in order to be competitive. If you have any questions, please feel free to post your question on the thread.
If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, please follow the instruction contained here.

During the week we run a number of different events, we encourage all SNAILs to join as many as possible.
Welcome to S.N.A.I.L. :cheers:

Back