2012 Chinese Grand Prix

• Thread starter Ross
  • 926 comments
Tom
The Beeb's coverage has generally been very good. Jake, Eddie and David are still good and Ben Edwards' commentary isn't half bad either. 👍

Agreed, as much as I like Martin Brundle's commentary, the rest of the Sky team is just pretty bad. Even without MB, Jake, Eddie, and David do a much better job.

Agreed, as much as I like Martin Brundle's commentary, the rest of the Sky team is just pretty bad. Even without MB, Jake, Eddie, and David do a much better job.

Plus they are just the classic commentary team for me now. I miss Eddie's shirts already.

When did he change his gearbox, the first practice hasn't even started yet. Did he do it last race?
No, the team changed it once the cars were unloaded in China. They go over the cars with a fine-toothed comb every time they are unloaded at a new destination, just to make sure everything is okay. They evidently found a fault in the gearbox that was serious enough that they felt they needed to change the gearbox before first practice, or else risk damaging it and depriving them of track time. The problem itself may well have developed during the Malaysian Grand Prix and was not found until now.

Yeah but can't he still qualify on pole and have it counted record wise, even though he has to start let's say fifth for now? *hypothetical of course.
Officially, he will not start on pole - even if he sets the fastest time. The highest he can start from is sixth.

Record-wise, no. Why would he?

Could have sworn a driver recently in the past two years had the same penalty and qualified pole but didn't start from there and still counted to overall polls in F1 career. It may have been Hamilton that time as well.

I'm sure it will still count as a pole even if he doesn't start there.

That's what I thought, but wanted some verifying.

If anyone fancys a fun drinking game, when watching a driver interview, you need to have a drink they say 'upgrade' or 'done a good job'.

As for Lewis, a 5 grid penalty may put him near Massa, providing Massa puts a worthy effort in. The first turn could be interesting.

I would like him to win by 20 laps.

citizen_cane.gif

And thus another fate is sealed by the words of the legend named dhandes.

*for those that don't understand dhandes says something great, which in turn becomes quite disastrous for the driver he claimed a great accomplishment too. I.E. 2012 Australian GP thread to see how his words destroyed Merc GP, Maldonado and others.

I'm confused, that's the rear wing

Technically, it's both. The DRS aids in channeling air, when activated, through the rear wing mounts, through the car, to operate an F Duct system located in the front wing, thus increasing top speed.

If anyone fancys a fun drinking game, when watching a driver interview, you need to have a drink they say 'upgrade' or 'done a good job'.

Or "for sure" during the press conferences.

Actually don't, you may die of alcohol poisoning.

Technically, it's both. The DRS aids in channeling air, when activated, through the rear wing mounts, through the car, to operate an F Duct system located in the front wing, thus increasing top speed.

How can you have a F-duct in the front wing ? Do you have a schema of the Mercedes F-duct ? I never saw how it works, I would be really interested in knowning how it works exactly.

Tom
The Beeb's coverage has generally been very good. Jake, Eddie and David are still good and Ben Edwards' commentary isn't half bad either. 👍

I haven't seen any of their coverage yet, but I'm tempted to watch their coverage this time around, considering that it's live and all that.

How can you have a F-duct in the front wing ? Do you have a schema of the Mercedes F-duct ? I never saw how it works, I would be really interested in knowning how it works exactly.
It's not an F-duct, it's an F-duct effect. There are no schematics available, since Mercedes have gone to great lengths to keep the specifics of the system under wraps. However, it is believed that when the drivers open the rear wing, it exposes two vents - one on either side - to the air. The air then flows through two channels in the car, back to the front wing. It is stategically released on the underside of the front wing, creating a vacccuum. This stalls all the air passing over the front wing, removing all the downforce. The effect is that the Mercedes can achieve a higher top speed, and the car is more stable going through corners where the F-duct is open because Mercedes were finding that opening the rear wing alone created an imbalance with all the downforce applied to the front wing and none on the back.

It's not an F-duct, it's an F-duct effect. There are no schematics available, since Mercedes have gone to great lengths to keep the specifics of the system under wraps. However, it is believed that when the drivers open the rear wing, it exposes two vents - one on either side - to the air. The air then flows through two channels in the car, back to the front wing. It is stategically released on the underside of the front wing, creating a vacccuum. This stalls all the air passing over the front wing, removing all the downforce. The effect is that the Mercedes can achieve a higher top speed, and the car is more stable going through corners where the F-duct is open because Mercedes were finding that opening the rear wing alone created an imbalance with all the downforce applied to the front wing and none on the back.

Thx for the explanation I think I understand it better now ^^

I haven't seen any of their coverage yet, but I'm tempted to watch their coverage this time around, considering that it's live and all that.

It's not bad, better than Sky's fake Jake Humphrey. :sly:

Latest Posts

Back