2012 Chinese Grand Prix

• Thread starter Ross
  • 926 comments
It seems the Chinese fans have a nickname for Sebastien Vettel...

14145.jpg

Umm... does someone else want to explain this to them?

The 'Finger Boy' nickname has existed quite some time already, reason is because of his #1 finger after he wins a race or claiming a pole position. I guess it's 'Finger^2 Boy' now considering the last race's incident.

"Finger Boy" looks like an instruction to a Catholic priest. Thus... the thing I said.

"Finger Boy" looks like an instruction to a Catholic priest. Thus... the thing I said.

Aaah.. Silly me :lol:

I misread your post as I thought you were trying to say that the Chinese have a new nickname for Vettel. Terribly sorry for the misunderstanding.

I had almost forgotten about F1, but FP1 is in 7 hours! :)

Really looking forward to the race. I'm with Kimi and think the Lotus has great potential despite the naysayers. It's had good pace in qualifying and looking at onboards, it looks mega smooth (and the way it holds its tyres also testifies to this) so over a race distance it'll always be a contender.

Btw the Thursday press conference was really funny with all drivers staying hopeful and excited about the new upgrades they've got but Alonso told it like it is "Nothing's changed, I think it's going to be a tough weekend again for us". Many people don't like him but I'm starting to respect him more and more (especially after watching the onboard from Australia, that was madness).

Record-wise, no. Why would he?

Because he qualified on pole - that is all the record is about. A penalty being applied to starting position has no bearing on this record because its not a record of "positions started from" merely "positions achieved in qualifying".

From the point of view of the FIA, the penalty is a race-day penalty not a qualifying penalty.

Put it this way, whoever qualifies in 2nd assuming Hamilton was pole didn't achieve a pole position did they? They inherited it due to a grid penalty.

This is why in race records qualifying positions and starting grid positions are stated seperately. (Note for example that Formula1.com and Wikipedia note "Grid" in the race results).

Last edited:
OK8
I had almost forgotten about F1, but FP1 is in 7 hours! :)

3 weeks have absolutely flew by.

Remember guys that BBC is showing the practice sessions live on the red button. I'll be watching it live 3.00am GMT

I missed the last race, so might get up at 3am to watch FP1 to make up for what I missed. But will definitely fit in the second practice at 7.00am. The joys of having a week off work!

Does anyone know if the BBC are broadcasting the practice sessions on the Red Button?

Tom
Does anyone know if the BBC are broadcasting the practice sessions on the Red Button?

From the BBC F1 site...

RED BUTTON

The BBC's red button interactive TV service will broadcast live coverage of all on-track sessions - Friday and Saturday practice, qualifying and race - from the 10 races that are live on the BBC.
There will be an additional interactive analysis programme following on from the end of the BBC One coverage of each race.
On race day, viewers will be able to choose from three different video streams: the main network feed with a choice of commentary from BBC One and BBC Radio 5 live; a split screen comprising the main network feed, an in-car camera feed and leaderboard; or rolling highlights.

China is a featured Grand Prix, so all on track sessions will be available.

Does anyone happen to know what's going with McLaren in these pictures? I've never seen such before. (Live from China)

EDIT: Answered

Last edited:
The teams take turns raking the sand traps.:P

It's really to measure airflow, which is the same reason one of the Ferrari's had yellow stuff all over the wing.

Vettel just put in a steamer on the inters - 7th quick overall in light rain

radio from vettel: the track is to dry for inters - we're only going to destroy these things (pretty much a quote, not word for word)

Button is on the track in inters - was just informed by the radio that the other cars are going out on primes.

edit: yes, he was just passed by a Sauber on primes :)

7 minutes to play

webber on prime resets fastest lap by .371

Hamilton out on primes lets see how he does....

(vettle drs isn't working anymore)

hamilton short from webber by .137

PEREZ! again, 4th fastest, slower than webber by .147

Hamilton P1 on primes - he's pushing for another fast lap we'll see what he can do...

perez into p2 now

rosberg p1

hamilton p1

practice 1 over.

cheers (that was live btw)

final notes:

Hamilton got p1 by more than a full second - notable for others that were running with him - Rosberg 2nd on his final lap, Schumacher 3rd on his flyer, and Perez 4th on his 2nd to available last lap (pulled in before that)

Impressed by Perez again - and so must everyone else be. Watch for him next year, to be certain.

Ferrari - looked twitchy - Massa had some mistakes but prime tires in damp? hard car to drive for sure. He was trying.

Alonso looked more comfortable but still twitchy car.

Lotus/Renault - no meaningful times, but on inters both of them looked comfortable and able to push. Grosjean had 2nd for awhile on primes.

Sauber - no other comment but Sergio Perez looks to be the real deal here. I'm not going to say he's the best in F1 but the budget that team has, and his ability to relay what he needs to get the car where he wants it is not in question. Good, good driver. Waiting to see if he's great :)

Button - just not there - seemed to not be pushing, so not really an issue, but a favorite of mine.

Rosberg - seems a bit frustrated by his lack of being in front of his teamate. Just his mannerisms and loud voice asking mechanics questions.

That's all I have. Perez is the key thing here. Sauber is not a prime team. If he can do well there... he is a supreme talent. Again, dirty conditions, so it could be down to them running a wet rig.

cheers.

Last edited:
Schumacher leads on a 1:35.973 in front of Hamilton. It's a dry session right, finding the F1.com wet graph kind of confusing.

EDIT: Sorry, looked at the number on the side, now I understand.

*puts on tin foil hat*

Early impressions from this is that Mclaren are again the car with consistent pace, Merc can do one quick lap, Red Bull will be there or thereabouts and Massa is useless.

Hopefully I haven't jinxed anyone. If so expect Massa to win and the rest of the field to DNF.

Latest Posts

Back