2023/24 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 383 comments
It's evolved to the point where games between rivals are called derbies. Games between Wrexham and Cardiff/Swansea/Newport are types of Welsh derbies, having the edge of North vs South.

As a Brighton fan, I've often questioned the validity of the M23 derby we have with Crystal Palace, it's a fierce rivalry for sure but not a derby in the traditional sense.

FA Cup Fourth Round Draw.

Watford v Southampton
Blackburn v Wrexham
Bournemouth v Swansea
West Brom v Wolves
Bristol City v Nottingham Forest
Leicester v Birmingham
Sheffield Wednesday v Coventry
Chelsea v Aston Villa
Ipswich v Maidstone
Liverpool v Norwich
Tottenham v Man City
Leeds v Plymouth
Everton v Luton
Newport v Man United
Sheffield United v Brighton
Fulham v Newcastle

Ties will take place on the weekend of the 27th, third round replays take place next week.

Spurs v City definitely the pick of the bunch, Chelsea v Villa should be good too. A few other interesting ties as well, Man United had a comfortable 2-0 win over Wigan tonight to progress, Newport or Eastleigh next!

RIP Franz Beckenbauer.

Last edited:
Definitely some interesting ties, and a bit of spice added to some of the replays, Newport V Eastleigh in particular.

Fully expect Ipswich V Maidstone to be selected for TV.

After I'd written Bamford off he goes and does this.

Incredible goal.

Check out his Podcast with Joe Wilkinson if you haven't, I love it.
1704825887481.png

Watford v Southampton
Blackburn v Wrexham
Bournemouth v Swansea
West Brom v Brentford/Wolves
West Ham/Bristol City v Nottingham Forest/Blackpool
Leicester v Hull/Birmingham
Chelsea v Aston Villa
Ipswich v Maidstone
Liverpool v Norwich/Bristol Rovers
Tottenham v Man City
Leeds v Plymouth
Crystal Palace/Everton v Luton/Bolton
Newport/Eastleigh v Man United
Fulham v Newcastle

Ties will take place on the weekend of the 27th, third round replays take place next week.

Spurs v City definitely the pick of the bunch, Chelsea v Villa should be good too. A few other interesting ties as well, Man United had a comfortable 2-0 win over Wigan tonight to progress, Newport or Eastleigh next!

RIP Franz Beckenbauer.
While the Premier league teams being matched up are disappointing, it does give the lower league teams an even better chance of progressing.

I'd love Mullin (Wrexham) to bag a hat trick against Man City next round (if they get throughł

Middlesbrough beat Chelsea 1-0 in the League Cup semi final first leg, Hayden Hackney with the goal in the first half, it was a full strength Chelsea side too so its a surprise result, Chelsea had the chances but could put them away, Liverpool play Fulham on Wednesday night in the other semi first leg.

There is now a winter break taking place in the Premier League, only five games this weekend with another five next weekend, it means almost everyone gets a fortnights break but the teams taking part in Cup replays wont.

So just a little update on this weekend.

Just the five PL games due to the winter break, Burnley and Luton finished 1-1 on Friday night with Chelsea beating Fulham 1-0 yesterday and a great game between Newcastle and Man City which finished 3-2 to City and all five goals were excellent, today Everton and Villa played out a scrappy 0-0 and Man United and Spurs just finished 2-2.

There were two games abandoned in League Two yesterday for different reasons, one which is very sad in that Bolton-Cheltenham was abandoned because of a medical emergency in the crowd, it was a man who suffered a cardiac arrest and has sadly passed away. Reading v Port Vale was abandoned after a pitch invasion protest with hundreds of home fans protesting against Reading's Chinese owner Dai Yongge, having reading up on this it seems to have been building for a while with the club in a mess financially due to mis-management.

Everton and Nottingham Forest both charged by the Premier League for breaching profit and sustainability rules.

Second charge in a few months for Everton!

Watford v Southampton
Blackburn v Wrexham
Bournemouth v Swansea
West Brom v Wolves
Bristol City v Nottingham Forest
Leicester v Birmingham
Chelsea v Aston Villa
Ipswich v Maidstone
Liverpool v Norwich
Tottenham v Man City
Leeds v Plymouth
Everton v Luton
Newport v Man United
Fulham v Newcastle

RIP Franz Beckenbauer.
I have updated this post following cup replays that have taken place over the last two nights.

Bristol City knocked West Ham out and Forest needed extra time to beat Blackpool, Newport v Man United!

Those big names wanting to jump ship from the Saudi Pro League is pretty alarming. Hendo leaving after 6 months is crazy.

Ronaldo seems to be sticking it out though.

They have all realized that even though the money is life changing the quality is poor and so are the attendances.

Henderson is somehow making himself look even worse than he did he when he left.

FA Cup fourth round weekend starts tonight with Bournemouth v Swansea, and tomorrow its Spurs v City on ITV!

January transfer window closes in a week, not a huge amount has happened thus far, Kalvin Phillips is having a medical at West Ham ahead of a loan move from City with an option to buy.

Pretty huge news in the last hour.

Jurgen Klopp has announced he will leave Liverpool at the end of the season, he has been Liverpool manager since 2015 and has won pretty much everything. He announced it on Liverpool's social media channels in a short video and said he was running out of energy and couldn't manage the club forever.

As a Liverpool fan, this is a sad day. However, Jürgen leaves with an incredible legacy and as one of the most loved Managers in the history of the Club. He developed a team culture of legends, and leaves a massive legacy and hole for whoever his successor is.

Now let's go out and get a few more Trophies this season. The League Cup is one match away, we're still in the FA Cup, breezing through the Europa League, but please please please end on a high with a second Premier League title!

Thanks Jürgen :bowdown:

As a Liverpool fan, this is a sad day. However, Jürgen leaves with an incredible legacy and as one of the most loved Managers in the history of the Club. He developed a team culture of legends, and leaves a massive legacy and hole for whoever his successor is.

Now let's go out and get a few more Trophies this season. The League Cup is one match away, we're still in the FA Cup, breezing through the Europa League, but please please please end on a high with a second Premier League title!

Thanks Jürgen :bowdown:
Does this open the door for Xabi Alonso? That is unless Bayern Munich fire Tuchel before the end of the season.

Klopp leaving at the end of the season.
Pep entering his last year of contract this summer.
Man United entering a new era.

Feels like a lot of change is happening, next year will be a big year for United, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea.

Sad to see Klopp go, he's such a character and stands out above the rest.

Even if his whining about Referees/VAR does get tiresome.

...but as a Newcastle United fan, I can't help but look forward to their incoming turmoil and instability. They can't get Stevie G in soon enough.

Klopp will be at Barcelona if they fire Xavi, unless they bring in Michel from Girona or something crazy. Pep could go back, too, but I don't think Man City will let him leave. BDFL

Great manager who will be remembered as the one who got Liverpool winning again after so long to Liverpool fans, so he'll get a pass every time, and, to anyone else with an interest in the Prem, he should be remembered as the one who pushed Man City to that level and gave us something interesting in what would have otherwise been the most boring era in English football.

Big shock in the cup this weekend with non-league Maidstone knocking out Championship Ipswich at Portman Road, game finished 2-1 with some amazing scenes after the game.

Luton knocked out Everton with the last kick of the game which also finished 2-1.

Klopp will be at Barcelona if they fire Xavi, unless they bring in Michel from Girona or something crazy. Pep could go back, too, but I don't think Man City will let him leave. BDFL
I'm doubling down on this. Xavi stepping down.

I'm doubling down on this. Xavi stepping down.
I don't think so. First Klopp said he was taking a year off. Plus if Barcelona do not make Champions League next year they will not have any money at all. My bet is that Klopp will be the next German national team manager.

Last edited:
I don't think so. First Klopp said he was taking a year off. Plus if Barcelona do not make Champions League next year they will not have any money at all. My bet is that Klopp will be the next German national team manager.
This is 99% a joke, 1% conspiracy theory based on nothing except for a legal judgement, but since the block to the Super League has been deemed to be illegal under EU law, I'm going with Liverpool joining the Super League next year and Klopp not wishing to be part of it. In the extremely unlikeky event that this is true, I shall quote this message in the 2024/25 thread :lol:

Very unsavoury scenes at the West Brom game, huge fights have broken out in the ground between both sets of fans and police, games been suspended and players taken off with 8 minutes to go.

Disgusting scenes all round.

Back