2023/24 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 384 comments
Yeah it was horrible scenes, apparently a few Wolves 'fans' where in the home section and caused some trouble, it was near where the West Brom players families were as well. There will be punishments dished out for sure.

Wolves did end up winning 2-0, Liverpool beat Norwich 5-2, Man United just beat Newport 4-2 and Watford-Southampton finished 1-1.

FA Cup Fifth Round Draw.

Blackburn v Newcastle
Chelsea v Leeds
Bournemouth v Leicester
Liverpool v Southampton
Nottingham Forest v Man United
Wolves v Brighton
Coventry v Maidstone
Luton v Man City

Bit of a dead draw IMO.

Last edited:
Yeah it was horrible scenes, apparently a few Wolves 'fans' where in the home section and caused some trouble, it was near where the West Brom players families were as well. There will be punishments dished out for sure.

Wolves did end up winning 2-0, Liverpool beat Norwich 5-2, Man United just beat Newport 4-2 and Watford-Southampton finished 1-1.

FA Cup Fifth Round Draw.

Blackburn/Wrexham v Newcastle
Chelsea/Aston Villa v Leeds/Plymouth
Bournemouth v Leicester
Liverpool v Watford/Southampton
Bristol City/Nottingham Forest v Man United
Wolves v Brighton
Sheffield Wed/Coventry v Maidstone
Luton v Man City

Bit of a dead draw IMO.
Wrexham v Newcastle is awesome if it happens, I will be torn on who to choose :D

And Chelsea v Plymouth too, my small home town team versus a mid-table Chelsea!

The managerial movement this summer looks way more interesting than the player movement.

Liverpool and Barcelona jobs up for grabs.
Zidane, Flick, Conte and Mourinho unemployed right now.
Nagelsmann free to speak.

Those two jobs could see some serious knock-ons and ripples if they approach someone who is already under contract.

The managerial movement this summer looks way more interesting than the player movement.

Liverpool and Barcelona jobs up for grabs.
Zidane, Flick, Conte and Mourinho unemployed right now.
Nagelsmann free to speak.

Those two jobs could see some serious knock-ons and ripples if they approach someone who is already under contract.
Can see Mourinho at Newcastle if they don't turn the form around in the 2nd half of this season. New owners wouldn't hesitate to get someone like him in.

But I agree, it's going to be very interesting to see how it plays out. Personally I can only see Xabi Alonso going to Liverpool but there's a lot of time yet.

Also the five African nations who took part in the last World Cup haven't made it to the quarter finals, this tournament has been wild!

Luton got a big surprise win over Brighton in the PL tonight winning 4-0, Adebayo with a hat trick and Brighton are in a bad run of form right now, only 3 wins in the last 16 in all comps and not scored in the league in 2024. Newcastle also perhaps picked up a surprise 3-1 win over Villa, Palace beat Sheffield United 3-2, Arsenal beat Forest 2-1 and Fulham Everton finished 0-0.

I'll root for Angola because they're the only team with Gol in their name.

Also, I think my new favorite team is Luton Town. I love their broadcast camera and I also think it's amusing that their away stand is basically a shed built over some bleachers. I will be absolutely shocked if they don't stay up. They're better than Crystal Palace, who somehow are 14 right now. Is Everton opening their new stadium next year? Too bad it will debut in the championship.

Also the five African nations who took part in the last World Cup haven't made it to the quarter finals, this tournament has been wild!

Luton got a big surprise win over Brighton in the PL tonight winning 4-0, Adebayo with a hat trick and Brighton are in a bad run of form right now, only 3 wins in the last 16 in all comps and not scored in the league in 2024. Newcastle also perhaps picked up a surprise 3-1 win over Villa, Palace beat Sheffield United 3-2, Arsenal beat Forest 2-1 and Fulham Everton finished 0-0.
Yeah very poor result for Brighton, disappointing as we've played good football.

Personally I think it's a clever ploy to ward off potential suitors to De Zerbi..

Tonight's games:

Man City 3-1 Burnley
Tottenham 3-2 Brentford
Liverpool 4-1 Chelsea

Haaland returned for City, didn't get on the score sheet but City fans will be happy.

Last edited:
Transfer deadline day has been and gone, its been a pretty quiet window and a pretty quiet deadline day.

The biggest deal of the day really is Crystal Palace signing young Blackburn midfielder Adam Wharton for a fee rising to £22 million.

It wouldn't be deadline day without Forest, they signed another keeper in Mats Sels for £5 million and sold Orel Mangala to Lyon.

Fulham are trying to get the loan deal of Armando Broja from Chelsea done.

Mad finish to the Wolves-Man United game a bit earlier, Kobbie Mainoo with a great strike in the 97th minute to seal a 4-3 win!

Screenshot 2024-02-03 132212.png

Its getting very tight at the top of the Premier League after this weekends games, Arsenal beat Liverpool 3-1 on Sunday to put themselves back in title race and Man City also beat Brentford 3-1 last night, it all means that the top three are only separated but two points.

FA Cup replays are this week with Plymouth v Leeds on BBC tonight and Villa v Chelsea on ITV tomorrow.

FA Cup Fifth Round Draw.

Blackburn v Newcastle
Chelsea v Leeds
Bournemouth v Leicester
Liverpool v Southampton
Nottingham Forest v Man United
Wolves v Brighton
Coventry v Maidstone
Luton v Man City

Bit of a dead draw IMO.
I have updated this post following the cup replays that have taken place over the last two nights.

Pochettino and Chelsea have been under some pressure lately after some poor results but Chelsea stepped up tonight beat Villa 3-1 at Villa Park, Chelsea were 3-0 up and Enzo scored a superb free kick. Nottingham Forest needed penalties to beat Bristol City in the other cup game tonight. Last night Leeds beat Plymouth in extra time, Southampton beat Watford and Coventry beat Sheffield Wednesday 4-1, sorry Famine!

It was also the AFCON semi finals tonight, Ivory Coast beat Congo DR 1-0 and Nigeria beat South Africa 5-3 on penalties.

AFCON hosts Ivory Coast won the tournament yesterday beating Nigeria 2-1 in the final, it was a stunning win after they sacked their head coach part way through the tournament! It looked like they were heading out at the group stage after two defeat from three group games and they sacked the coach but they ended up going though as one of the best third placed teams, and then they never looked back.

Qatar won the Asia Cup, defending their title against first time finalists Jordan and winning 3-2.

Roy Hodgson was taken ill at Crystal Palace training this morning and is in a stable condition in hospital, its been reported that he collapsed.

Roy Hodgson was taken ill at Crystal Palace training this morning and is in a stable condition in hospital, its been reported that he collapsed.
Sorry to hear that. He looked terrible after their game v. Chelsea. He's only 76 but looks ancient. Hope he makes a full recovery. Since bringing on Wharton and replacing seemingly the bulk of their starting 11, I thought they looked terrific against Chelsea. They certainly seemed to have improved compared to January.

Speaking of improvement, I'm really impressed with the Mainoo kid. Seems like he's responsible for a big part of ManU's recent success. He's always making plays.

I'm most happy about KDB returning to City, however. That man is a true football genius. They are a completely different team with Haaland and De Bruyne on the field together.

Roy Hodgson has stepped down from his role as Crystal Palace manager, he left hospital today after being taken ill in training last week, Ray Lewington and Paddy McCarthy will take charge of Palace for tonight's big game at Everton.

Former Frankfurt boss Oliver Glasner looks set to be new Palace boss and could be announced tomorrow.

Roy Hodgson has stepped down from his role as Crystal Palace manager, he left hospital today after being taken ill in training last week, Ray Lewington and Paddy McCarthy will take charge of Palace for tonight's big game at Everton.

Former Frankfurt boss Oliver Glasner looks set to be new Palace boss and could be announced tomorrow.
I hope that Roy can now focus on being well and enjoying his well earned retirement. I think (hope) that real fans can appreciate what he has brought to the game over such a long period.
And I wish Palace well - they have consistently overachieved and I hope they continue to do so. Everyone benefits from a league that is as competitive as possible.

Sir Jim Ratcliffe's deal to buy a 27.7% stake in Man United has finally been completed. The Glazers retain a majority stake but its Ratcliffe's INEOS group who will take control of football operations, this has already began with Man City's Omar Berrada set to become the new CEO and United have approached Newcastle's Dan Ashworth to become the sporting director, a role that United staggeringly haven't filled in 10 years. I am quite happy with all this, it means the club can actually move forward by appointing football people for a change. Looking forward to seeing what the future holds.

Man City beat Brentford 1-0 in their game in hand, they move up to second in the league with the top three separated but two points!

Sir Jim Ratcliffe's deal to buy a 27.7% stake in Man United has finally been completed. The Glazers retain a majority stake but its Ratcliffe's INEOS group who will take control of football operations, this has already began with Man City's Omar Berrada set to become the new CEO and United have approached Newcastle's Dan Ashworth to become the sporting director, a role that United staggeringly haven't filled in 10 years. I am quite happy with all this, it means the club can actually move forward by appointing football people for a change. Looking forward to seeing what the future holds.

Man City beat Brentford 1-0 in their game in hand, they move up to second in the league with the top three separated but two points!
You'll have to wait another 2 years for Ashworth if Newcastle don't back down on his gardening leave.

Always thought Tuchel was overrated and not a very good manager. Footy's lowest point for me was the Tuchel vs. Conte fight. Two losers having a fit, lol.

The real question is does Xabi Alonso pick Bayern or Liverpool? :lol: Maybe Klopp goes to Bayern if Xabi succeeds him at Anfield.

That Luton Town v Liverpool game was crazy. Luton play well around the other team's box but LFC just gegenpressed them to death. It was a clinic on pressuring your opponent high on the pitch.

Liverpool beat Chelsea 1-0 AET after captain Virgil Van Dijk scored from a corner in the second half of Extra Time.

Liverpool were playing without a significant selection of senior-team players, meaning multiple academy players were used through the match. All of them rose to the occasion, leading to Gary Neville's now-iconic line during Liverpool's goal celebration: "Klopp's kids against the blue billion-pound bottle-jobs" to describe the Chelsea team which seemed to collapse and not bother in Extra Time.

One down, Three to go for Klopp's goodbye tour.

The FA Cup fifth round is this week and in fact its already begun Maidstone's fairytale run ending win with a 5-0 defeat at Coventry last night.

There are FA Cup ties taking place tonight and tomorrow night with the quarter final draw taking place at around 7pm tomorrow night.

Liverpool beat Chelsea 1-0 AET after captain Virgil Van Dijk scored from a corner in the second half of Extra Time.

Liverpool were playing without a significant selection of senior-team players, meaning multiple academy players were used through the match. All of them rose to the occasion, leading to Gary Neville's now-iconic line during Liverpool's goal celebration: "Klopp's kids against the blue billion-pound bottle-jobs" to describe the Chelsea team which seemed to collapse and not bother in Extra Time.

One down, Three to go for Klopp's goodbye tour.
They are likely to win at least one more trophy this season.

I may be off base here, but imo KDB is the best in the world and since he returned to Man City it's easy to see why. I know it was the FA cup, but I really hope Luton can start winning league games. I freaking love watching their home games, and they've scored some awesome goals in most of their losses. Really entertaining footy. If they go down, it'd be a big shame.

Back