Another Fanatec wheel arrives!

• Thread starter jonboy1066
  • 3,981 comments
Regarding the ps/2 cable I would be careful assuming pc cables work. I fell for that. Only 4 of the 6 pinouts are connect on pc ps/2 cables and the fanatec gt3 rs uses 5 pins.

I think the paddle issue is with some and not others. The GT2 wheel I have has no problem with making paddle shifts from any angle even at the extreme top or bottom. Don't get me wrong really the paddle shifters could be nicer and more robust and really are my one complaint. But, the ones on my wheel do work perfectly.

how is that possible? im not doubting yours work fine, but how can it just be on some units?
where do you feel that the shifters breaking down? in the adapter, add-on paddles or base paddles?

Well I just looked at my first GT2 that died on me. It does have indentations behind the shifter paddles in the wheel. So it looks like the first one was also in the same boat as your current GT2. The replacement wheel that I received a few weeks ago does not have that issue. Now I can't see any visible difference between the two but it just works fine from any angle and doesn't rub.

I don't think the shifters are breaking down at all I just wish they had a more solid feel on their own all metal axis. That's really the only part of the wheel that doesn't feel top notch to me.

http://insidesimracing.tv/videos/view/387/0/Inside-Sim-Racing-Episodes GT2 review

"strongest force feedback in this class of wheel" i guess the FFB is better than T500?

Two thoughts;

1) they are not comparing it to the T500, they clearly refer to the wheels which they tested in their multi wheel test last year. And to their credit have refused to review the T500RS till they could do as thoroughly as the others

2) They don't consider it to be the same class of wheel.

Of the two options I go with the first myself.

I was thinking that they did thus full review for the GT2 before they received the T500. A couple of breaths later, Darin proved that to not be the case. So, now there is contradiction and confusion. The only way to solve it would be to revisit the wheel showdown with GT5 being the test.

How can the GT2 have better force feedback than the GT3RSV2?? Thomas said both wheels are the same but the GT2 has xbox support...

EDIT: Ok they tested the GT3 RS not the V2

Last edited:
Do any 911 Carrera owners want a set of the el-cheapo shifter "paddles" that Fanatec shipped with the Turbo S? I can just drop 'em in a padded envelope and send them USPS in the continental US. I'm not looking to get anything out of this unless you live near DC and can buy me a beer.

Here's a photo for reference:
02_pwgt3rs_bild_02.jpg

Do any 911 Carrera owners want a set of the el-cheapo shifter "paddles" that Fanatec shipped with the Turbo S? I can just drop 'em in a padded envelope and send them USPS in the continental US. I'm not looking to get anything out of this unless you live near DC and can buy me a beer.

02_pwgt3rs_bild_02.jpg

Pretty generous 12th! Good on ya! 👍

02_pwgt3rs_bild_02.jpg

I just ordered the Carrera Wheel and I forgot to order the $19.95 paddles. I'll gladly take these. Thanks.

For GT5 what settings are you guys using, how long do you play continuously for (no long breaks, pausing, etc) and how long until your wheels start to get too hot (shut off FFB or stop responding)?

I'm using FFB at 5 in-game, 100 on the wheel (Turbo S) and drift mode on 2 and my wheel seems to get hot quite quickly. Between 30 minutes and 1 hour of gameplay will do it even with a few short breaks (bathroom, water, pitting). It takes forever to cool down too. It makes it a PITA to do endurance races. I'm wondering if you guys have similar experiences or is this abnormal?

--EDIT--
Ok closer to every 30 minutes rather than every hour and when it gets really hot (45 minutes) then it needs 15 minutes to cool down otherwise it just heats right back up again.

Last edited:
For GT5 what settings are you guys using, how long do you play continuously for (no long breaks, pausing, etc) and how long until your wheels start to get too hot (shut off FFB or stop responding)?

I'm using FFB at 5 in-game, 100 on the wheel (Turbo S) and drift mode on 2 and my wheel seems to get hot quite quickly. Between 30 minutes and 1 hour of gameplay will do it even with a few short breaks (bathroom, water, pitting). It takes forever to cool down too. It makes it a PITA to do endurance races. I'm wondering if you guys have similar experiences or is this abnormal?

--EDIT--
Ok closer to every 30 minutes rather than every hour and when it gets really hot (45 minutes) then it needs 15 minutes to cool down otherwise it just heats right back up again.

I don't think you should worry about overheating. I usually play 2 - 3 hours without any pause. It gets hot, but never felt that this is causing any problem:tup:. I use max in-game and on the wheel FFB!

--EDIT--

I have done several four hour sessions with my GT2 wheel and although it does get warm, I have not had any problems. I have FFB on the wheel and in game turned up to the max.

How is the ClubSport Table Clamp attached to the wheel? There is no way to get an Allen wrench under the plate.

EDIT: I popped out the pivot axle and removed the factory installed clamp. The rear of the base plate, how is it supposed to bind down? It lifts up even with the main binding screw turned as hard as I can.

Something's not right.

Last edited:

--EDIT--

I`ve never had to take a break and I`ve played for a few hours straight many times. My G25 got hotter than my Turbo S, when using the F2007 I thought my G25 was going to melt!

Hmm, mine gets really hot (sometimes starts to smell bad) and does some unexpected things. I'll contact Fanatec when I finish my endurance race.

Another quick question, has anybody actually overheated their wheel? Did the FFB turn off or did something else happen?

I just received my GT2 wheel the other day, is there a way to power the unit off besides unplugging it? I searched the manual but did not see any reference on how to do so.

I just received my GT2 wheel the other day, is there a way to power the unit off besides unplugging it? I searched the manual but did not see any reference on how to do so.

How did you turn it on, it just started when you plugged it in?

On the Turbo S and GT3RS V2 there is a button on the right side, next to the hole for the power connector and it is a square button. I'm guessing it is the same thing on the GT2.

--EDIT--

It's possible that the top fan is not switching on, check my quote below.

Just a heads up to those who own a GT2 wheel.

If you have the fans set to always "on" you may find that that the top fan does not always start when the wheel is powered on. You can always check to see if your fans start up by shining a torch into the top grill on start up.

Alternatively you can press the 4 bottom buttons whilst the wheel is in standby mode to toggle off the fans and toggle them back on, this should kick start the fans, this is what I am having to do.

There definately has been a huge improvement with the fan noise though, I guess the engineers have cut some more metal which used to rub against the fan in the PWTS 👍 Although I still think Fanatec have tightened those 2 screws too much which maybe causing the fans not to always turn on during start up.

Just an observation and information for GT2 wheel owners and Fanatec.

Thanks.

How did you turn it on, it just started when you plugged it in?

On the Turbo S and GT3RS V2 there is a button on the right side, next to the hole for the power connector and it is a square button. I'm guessing it is the same thing on the GT2.

Yup, it's the same. That's the power button.

Hi guys. Got a quick question for you.

I'm not very computer savvy so be warned lol.

Ordered the gt2 and CSP. Primarily I'm only going to be using this kit on either PS or Xbox. My question is do they work straight out of the box on these systems or do I need to hook it up to the PC first to download stuff.

Cheers and thanks alot.

Spagetti69
Hi guys. Got a quick question for you.

I'm not very computer savvy so be warned lol.

Ordered the gt2 and CSP. Primarily I'm only going to be using this kit on either PS or Xbox. My question is do they work straight out of the box on these systems or do I need to hook it up to the PC first to download stuff.

Cheers and thanks alot.

Ideally you want to update their firmware. Which is super easy to do. Plus, you can set up the load cell for the brake with Fanatec's application for setting up your hardware.

You can get all you need at http://www.fanatec.de/html/index.php?id=310&lang=

I suggest you also download the manuals so you can familiarize yourself ahead of time.

It pretty cool to have to use a bit more pressure, or a lot if you like, to fully engage the brakes. You'll be quite happy!

My fanatec standard pedals are having problems.. braking when it's not supposed to and not braking to it's max potential. Now i'm worried as i live in Singapore, there's no Fanatec here to cover my warranty =x

It's possible that the top fan is not switching on, check my quote below.
Thanks for the tip BTW. I did not even realize until you mentioned it but before when I first turned my wheel on after a night of not using it something (pretty sure it was the fan) made a horrible grinding noise for a bit. It has not been making that noise for awhile so I assume something jammed the fan and now it is dead.

I have checked but not while it is hot as I have been using 50% FFB while I am trying to do the Vettel challenges. The fan was not spinning. I will try to heat it up back at 100% and see if the fan switches on. If not then I will upgrade my firmware (currently on 669, the one just before fan control) and see if that helps. If not well then I will contact Fanatec, I have no qualms with replacing the fan myself as long as I do not lose my warranty.

Back