Another Fanatec wheel arrives!

• Thread starter jonboy1066
  • 3,981 comments
Hmm, mine gets really hot (sometimes starts to smell bad) and does some unexpected things. I'll contact Fanatec when I finish my endurance race.

Another quick question, has anybody actually overheated their wheel? Did the FFB turn off or did something else happen?

A bad smell is not a good sign! I had one a couple weeks ago and I was trying to figure out where it was coming from and then my PC just shut off! Yup, over heated and burned out power supply and not just that, it blew some of my USB devices like my xbox 360 wireless receiver, PS3 Dual Shock controller (was recharging), mouse & keyboard. So fix a bad smell and fast!

Thanks for the tip BTW. I did not even realize until you mentioned it but before when I first turned my wheel on after a night of not using it something (pretty sure it was the fan) made a horrible grinding noise for a bit. It has not been making that noise for awhile so I assume something jammed the fan and now it is dead.

I have checked but not while it is hot as I have been using 50% FFB while I am trying to do the Vettel challenges. The fan was not spinning. I will try to heat it up back at 100% and see if the fan switches on. If not then I will upgrade my firmware (currently on 669, the one just before fan control) and see if that helps. If not well then I will contact Fanatec, I have no qualms with replacing the fan myself as long as I do not lose my warranty.

Something just crossed my mind, I think you can kick start the fans (not a feature of the 669 firmware) by pressing the button combination that shows what firmware the wheel has. I remember checking the firmware whilst on 669 and the fans would go wild.

I think the button combination is to hold LSB, RSB, A, B at the same time whilst in standby mode.

On a completely different note I just wanted to say that the Fanatec Shifter is awesome, I have been using it for the last few weeks and the best part is the clicking noise, I just love that sound :yuck:

Well done Thomas and it's a 👍 up from me.

Anyone got some inside on the status of the new shifter from fanatec? My standard shifter actually broke yesterday and i would fancy the CS version.

Raitziger
Anyone got some inside on the status of the new shifter from fanatec? My standard shifter actually broke yesterday and i would fancy the CS version.

I believe this is scheduled for a Q3 release, so end of summer / early autumn if all goes to plan.

The rumble is supposed to be stronger in the older PWTS, I don't know if they use smaller motors or the heavier wheel + alcantara absorbs much of it but on Xbox and PS3 I can hardly feel a thing, PC works a little better though.

@drugstore,

I have used both wheels and agree and disagree with your opinon. I agree, the alcantra takes some of the "feel" of the motors away. But to me the motors are stronger and more responsive.

I race a lot of NASCAR games, and when tandem drafting at talladega or daytona, the motors are extremely responsive and accurate. I can feel where the other car is on my back bumper (left, center or right) with the shock vibration. On the PWTS this was so strong it sometimes turned the car itself without me moving the wheel.

So yes, the motors may not give the extra force, but the correct amount. This is more important to me, but again, to each is own. I'm certain you would give us the same car and same set-up and we would both like it to be different to our own styles.

@spagetti

That is almost unbelievable if it weren't for the fact it was Fanatec.

Yes Ant, I was expecting worse TBH. I've read of wheels not starting Etc.

Emailed Claudia and expecting a response.
A bit disappointed in Forzas force feedback. Do I need to take off the games internal forcefeed back settings and just use the wheel settings.
Still getting to grips with it all. Lol.

Last Friday, 03-04-11, I ordered a PWC, a longer shifter cable, and steel plate for the standard pedals.

5 min later I realized that I forgot to add aluminum paddle shifters to the cart prior to making payment via PayPal.

Now if I place another order for just the paddles I get nailed another $18 bucks the way their online store is set up.

...so I emailed Claudia on Friday via web store contact form asking them if I could add another item to the order (easy for them to do via PayPal invoice) so I don't get nailed extra shipping charges.

Was hoping for a reply today, Monday, as they are probably closed on the weekend.

...no reply today by 8PM Germany time, and now I have an email message that my order will be shipping.

...left a VM at the Fanatec USA Tel. in Beverly Hills, CA, sent an email to the email specified via the Beverly Hill number and 2PM PST, no reply.

...lets see what happens...

A bit disappointed in Forzas force feedback. Do I need to take off the games internal forcefeed back settings and just use the wheel settings.
Still getting to grips with it all. Lol.

Forza is poor in terms of feedback compared even with other console titles, (GT5, Supercar Challenge, F1 2010, Race Pro) let alone PC sims. I simply turned every thing up in Forza's in game FF options if I remember correctly.

I have ordered this baby from Japan:

http://frex.xsrv.jp/gpshop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_23&products_id=60

Less than 150 euros with postage to Croatia, I ordered it 5 minutes after my friend borrowed me his and I tried it with my GT2.

Here are pics:

ztwgy.jpg

7MFmH.jpg

Notice I have order barebone-edition (no connector on wire) since it is a matter of fitting any PS2-output on it.

With wiring you also decide the way of travel (up for high, low for high, etc.).

I really adore this piece of hardware, magnificent craft and feel is like it can't be broken no matter what you do to it.

Also, regarding firmware - I have downgraded my GT2 to 669 firmware and everything seems so much profound now (except the lack of counter-string). Anybody have any thoughts on this?

A sequential shifter basically is what? It's just two momentary switches. And after a visit to a hardware store you can build one for, say, 10 times less?
I'm sure it's a nice piece of equipment, but I would go for the 15 eur option...

I will wait for CS shifter. I also like to use paddles for sequential shifting. I did not notice much difference with FFB on firmwares 669 and 681. Maybe I should switch and test.

Finally! Canada Post just dropped off my pedal stopper and clubsport paddle shifters. I didn't realise that the CS paddle shifters also come with a spacer block, very nice. I now also know why it costs $20. Thomas, that's some very nice packaging it comes in!!! (not joking)

I'll have to go run a couple laps now that I've got it installed, but it's much more reminiscent of my G25 paddles. It's a definite ergonomic improvement anyways.

Finally! Canada Post just dropped off my pedal stopper and clubsport paddle shifters. I didn't realise that the CS paddle shifters also come with a spacer block, very nice. I now also know why it costs $20. Thomas, that's some very nice packaging it comes in!!! (not joking)

I'll have to go run a couple laps now that I've got it installed, but it's much more reminiscent of my G25 paddles. It's a definite ergonomic improvement anyways.

Yeah, I ordered the carbon as well as metal versions, and was very impressed with the form-fitting foam packaging as well as the overall design. Very "German"!

I might be looking to trade my GT2 for a PWTS, could anyone with both wheels comment on how much difference there is in the rumble effects between them?

I have both. I prefer the GT2. The rumble effects are a tad sharper with the PWTS. Force Feedback effects are basically a wash in my opinion. The GT2 has a more comfortable rim profile, as it's shaped more like a real wheel and feels better in your grip. I also prefer Alcantara over leather. The PWTS also feels a little more hollow and toylike in the rim. The paddle shifters feel a bit more positive in the GT2. Finally, the buttons on the GT2 offer superior tactile response.

Overall performance of both the GT2 and PWTS is pretty close, but I find the GT2 has enough small updates that add up to making it the better wheel.

Well Fanatec finally got back to me regarding the addition of the Paddle Shifters to my PWC order stating that they could add them to the order so I would not have to pay additional shipping charges.

The problem: Fanatec's reply stating they could do so arrived after my order had actually shipped and was due to be delivered the next day!

Fanatec never replied to me within the stated time frame stated on their web site's verbage of one Business day following a weekend although I had gone above and beyond by trying all avenues of communication including the USA Beverly Hills 800 number and the email that recording referred to in addition to contact via the Fanatec/USA contact form.)

To their credit they did send correspondence stating they were sorry and would provide a 10% discount on my next order, but they provided no details regarding how the discount would be enacted or a code to be used for discount.

So clearly Fanatec's customer service has internal communication and possibly priority issues regarding order fulfillment.

...so I paid an additional $17.00 shipping to add the aluminum paddle shifters to the order.

...and when the paddle shifters arrived today I discovered that the right Paddle Shifter mounting hole on the PWC was shipped out without ever being threaded!

Visual inspection of the three remaining mounting holes on the PWC's paddle shifters indicates the plastic shifter housings are fitted with metal threads.

...so their quality control missed this very basic issue easily confirmed by a quick visual scan....

I have contacted their support email and provided the info they require as well as a photo of the mounting hole sans threads, I will keep you posted on what happens.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
STATUS UPDATE: After waiting a couple of days I called Fanatec's tech support line in Germany via Skype.

+49 (871) 9221 299 (Mo-Fr 14.00-16.00) Central European Time (GMT + 1 Hour)

After a couple of tries because the line was busy I got through to Armin, next day I had a replacement set of threads.

Wheel works great now.

My advice, if you need tech support call the above-listed number between 14:00-16:00 CET.

They are 9 hours ahead of USA PST time zone.

Last edited:
Nice review cerbera77. Remember you can buy a table clamp for your fanatec wheel to attach it to your desk. Also on the way are a sequential /H gate csp shifters as well as a handbrake that is suppose to be the same quality of the csp pedals. So time will see when we can match up the fanatec csp shifters against the logitech g27 h shifter and see who comes out ahead. Should be interesting. What i like about fanatec as oppose to logitech is that they are always updating the firmware and features of the wheel. something you can't do with the logitech wheel. I like that they are always innovating with their products and the fact that i can actually pm the ceo of the company and get messages /pms quickly replied back to from him is something you can't do with logitech. I would love to see the ceo of logitech take the time out to come and interact with us the gamers answer our questions and listen to our rants. I strongly doubt that will happen and that's why i went with fanatec.

UPS delivered my packages today. Was only able to open them up and look. Everything was very well packed and double boxed. was very surprised at how small the housing is on the gt3 rs wheel its tiny.The csp pedals look amazing. Didn't have time to fire it up tonight. Have to go to the store and get something cheap to mount it to until my stand arrives sometime in april.

If your standard pedals are defective you will get a discount for your CSPs. Just send this post to our e-support with regards from me.

This offer still good? I just ordered my CSP's at full price on 4/2 to replace some faulty standard pedals. Not really thrilled that the standard pedals lasted only 1 year with very little use. I have also previously ordered the Clubsport mount for the shifter!

Just had the brake load cell crap out on me - contacted Fanatec support and a new part (under warranty) is being dispatched free of charge.

Hoping to have my CSP's back in action in a week.

BTW - the load cell busted after about 8 months of heavy use (2-4 hrs daily). 1st major issue with my Fanatec setup.

Not too bad considering the nice 2 year warranty.

Chapman

Torture: is having a set of brand new, just delivered, Clubsport pedals sitting under your desk at work and knowing you won't be able to open them or use them for at least another 8-12 hours!

Torture: is having a set of brand new, just delivered, Clubsport pedals sitting under your desk at work and knowing you won't be able to open them or use them for at least another 8-12 hours!

Be strong dude! :scared:

I hear ya.

Torture:

Having a brand new set of clubsports and shifter set from fanatec, but have to wait till at least may..........to get my GT2 wheel.

Back