Assassin's Creed: Unity - Out in 28th October, 2014

• Thread starter gtone339
  • 156 comments
Has anybody pre-ordered the UNITY edition that allows you to access exclusive content when you play co-operatively? I'm thinking of it, but my friend list has a grand total of zero people on it. So if anyone is looking for somebody to share with, I'm game.

I notice a lot of low frame rates on both the PS4 and XB1, lots of pop in too.

I though at first maybe its just outside or many NPCs

I notice a lot of low frame rates on both the PS4 and XB1, lots of pop in too.

I though at first maybe its just outside or many NPCs

Yep, this game is both impressive and a failure technical wise, still not sure should I pick it up for not.

I always want to love the assassins creed games. I'm always excited about them but for some reason never play them long and forget why I stopped playing them.

I've played an hour or so of this one and know why I always quit. The controls are just aggravating. I would love to see a game with the environments and time period of assassins creed games but without all the needless climbing and jumping. I always feel like I'm just out of control and fighting to do what I want.

I'm really wanting to try the coop though. Hopefully it unlocks pretty quickly.

28l9bs.jpg

Most of the video stays at 30 on both. Seems to be those town chase sections really causing a problem.

Last edited:

I guess this area is just for looks, no climbing here please.

In that frame rate video, a second chase where he draws his sword outside the building drops to 22fps on the XB1, PS4 20fps. The scene is out of sync, if you follow each side separately you see a similar drop. The first chase shows a clear difference though. In later combat the PS4 never drops a frame while XB1 does slightly. There's also a cut scene frame rate test where PS4 is much better.

I've seen a lot of frame rate drops on the ps4 so far. Sometimes there are a bunch of people on the screen with a bunch of action but the worst drop so far was when I was in a room alone climbing a wall. It's by far the worst console game as far as frame rate I remember ever playing. Even when it's running smoothly it's not that smooth. It never seems like it's at 30 fps. These new consoles seem to be the most unstable gaming consoles ever. Almost all the games released so far have major problems at launch and servers for online play are very unreliable. I've got both of them and it seems the ps4 is a little better so far as far as online gaming goes but not much better. They both need tons of work and consumers to start spending money smarter so game developers stop releasing broken games.

These game reviews sites are really to blame too. Them giving games good score based on them believing the devs will fix the problems is ridiculous. If a game has major flaws at launch it should reflect in their scores.

I've seen a lot of frame rate drops on the ps4 so far. Sometimes there are a bunch of people on the screen with a bunch of action but the worst drop so far was when I was in a room alone climbing a wall. It's by far the worst console game as far as frame rate I remember ever playing. Even when it's running smoothly it's not that smooth. It never seems like it's at 30 fps. These new consoles seem to be the most unstable gaming consoles ever. Almost all the games released so far have major problems at launch and servers for online play are very unreliable. I've got both of them and it seems the ps4 is a little better so far as far as online gaming goes but not much better. They both need tons of work and consumers to start spending money smarter so game developers stop releasing broken games.

These game reviews sites are really to blame too. Them giving games good score based on them believing the devs will fix the problems is ridiculous. If a game has major flaws at launch it should reflect in their scores.
Not all:
http://kotaku.com/assassins-creed-unity-the-kotaku-review-1657368877

I was about to get the PC version, but I think I will skip it. The requested specs are simply way to high, and I readed oppinions about the game running pretty slow even on realy high end pcs. Its a shame, because it was looking pretty good.

You should see the reaction on NeoGAF, it's an absolute guano-storm. €100 "micro"transactions can go die in a fire.

I'm thoroughly enjoying ROGUE at the moment. A lot of the new features really enhance the gameplay of BLACK FLAG without being feature creep, and the environments themselves feel a lot more organic. The story is shaping up as a soft reboot of the series, but Shay is a very compelling protagonist, and like the environments, it feels natural. And whoever wrote it has a real eye for lampooning the series without over-playing the joke.

I watched a bit of a AC Rogue stream and liked the two Irish guys dialogue in it and the ships. It's also coming to PC in a few months so I'll probably get it then.

Right now I have AC Unity on PC, unlocked at today 00:00 here in the UK but its bedtime now so it''ll be sometime later on before I play.

Got my hands on Unity yesterday and played around 10 hours total I think with today included. Some things are not as smooth as they need to be but a big thumbs up for free running up and down buttons! Saves me so much frustration. The mini games are better too I almost forgot to continue the story for a while.

So, after a few more hours with ROGUE, I can honestly say it's brilliant. The world feels absolutely enormous, and each of the locations - even the optional ones - feel unique and their design organic. There is very little in the way of recycled assets within a location, and there is always something to do: reclaiming settlements, intervening in naval battles, clearing gang hideouts and seat forts, raiding supply depots and outposts and ghost ships, liberating prisoners of war and probably half a dozen other things that I have forgotten.

Remember the plantation raids in BLACK FLAG? Here they're essentially the same, but with multiple warehouses in one location, more guards and cramped confines making for short lines of sight. To make things harder, you have to leave the area - not just make it to the door - in order to get the rewards. And that's just one of the features.

I love what Polygon has to say on a 12 hour post-release review embargo for Unity (by way of the BBC):

BBC
"There's no valid reason for a review embargo such as this; it's blatantly anti-consumer and likely designed to get the first rush of hardcore fans into the stores to buy their copies of the game before the reviews hit," wrote the site's editor Ben Kuchera.

"Any embargo past midnight the night before is sketchy as hell. It's a way to weaponise embargoes, and the best thing to do is to hold off until you can read about the game in detail."

It should be noted that Activision's Destiny and Sony's DriveClub also had post-release review embargos, according to the BBC, and Sega did not provide any pre-release copies of Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystals. All three games received mixed reviews possibly as a result.

Here is what Ubisoft had to say for the embargo (again from the BBC):

Ubisoft rep
"The nature of games themselves and the way they are being reviewed is changing, as evidenced by games like Assassin's Creed Unity, Destiny and The Crew - games that have significant online components," she said.

"Having the online elements available and having populated worlds is essential to creating a representative and complete experience for reviewers.

"Achieving this prior to launch is incredibly complex, which is why some games are being reviewed much closer - or as was the case with Destiny, even after - the game launches.

"We are working to adapt our services and communications with consumers accordingly, both by changing the way we work with reviewers and by offering customers open betas or other early access to some games, all so that they have the information they need and want."

Gamespot UK's Rob Crossley perfectly sums up the review embargo monkey business this way, "Embargoes beyond the release date instantly raises suspicions - whether they are true or not - about the quality of a game, I don't see the logic in doing it."

EDIT: As a semi-related subject, this isn't the first time that Ubisoft strong armed the media. In 2008, Dan Hsu had to resign as editor of 1UP over his score of, ironically enough, Assassin's Creed 1. There was an embargo in place for the game, but Ubisoft allowed three sites to break the embargo because they gave it a high rating (the three sites in question gave it a 10/10.) 1UP gave it a 7/10, but it pissed off Ubisoft and they stopped allowing 1UP access to their games. 1UP's parent company, Ziff Davis Media, wasn't going to allow that to happen, and fired him.

Last edited:
Not had an issue with the game yet, runs great so far on my PC

I'll say, it's loading the flags a year early :D

Huh2.JPG Huh.JPG

I'm gutted that this game seems to have had so many release problems on consoles... I'll either wait for a significant patch or the next version.

I'll say, it's loading the flags a year early :D

View attachment 257579 View attachment 257580

I'm gutted that this game seems to have had so many release problems on consoles... I'll either wait for a significant patch or the next version.
I think the problems have been blown out of proportion. I've been playing it since launch day and it's not that bad. I had some really bad frame rate drops early but it's very rare now unless I try and run off during a mini cut scene.
This game hasn't been any worse than any other AAA games that come out these days.
I haven't had much trouble with disconnects except for one night.

The coop makes this game worth getting. Running around and doing missions with friends is a really good time. I've never been able to get into any of the other assassin creed gashes and I've had them all. They always look great but I get bored fast with them. I've almost completed this version and will poetically play it long after that because of the coop and future multiplayer modes.

Reddit has figured out how to fix the dipping frame rate in Unity for the PS4 and PC versions. Supposedly, the fix was found 48 hours after the game's release, but it is baffling how this escaped Ubisoft's notice.

Want to know what it is?

Simply take the PS4 and PC offline completely. Apparently, it dips when you connect the console online, taking it off would give you constant 30 FPS as they promised.

They have always had problems with online. Even when it was a background feature in BLACK FLAG - online events were making the game totally unbalanced; it was possible to get high-level equipment early on. So they tweaked it, but then online events stopped spawning properly, and they never really got the balance back.

Anyway, I finished ROGUE, and it was very enjoyable. A lot of the new features worked really well, but it can be really glitchy - the game doesn't always recognise that you can go where you are trying to go. And while it's got a short, simple story, it's very easy to lose track of it because of all the sidequests.

I'm not going online with AC Unity, I've read there's a lot of syncing problems, save games get corrupted through the companion app. I didn't plan to anyway, I see AC as a single player game. In Unity there's some chests to unlock only via an app, and Contacts and Initiates that require some other website thing, not quite sure what you have to do. I find it takes away the immersion but can see why people may like it.

Unity has very large amount of side missions, lots of stuff to unlock without online thankfully. I'm really enjoying playing and progressing the story a bit further each time. Put like 20+ hours in and have 13% progression.

Hope you don't mind some screenshots. It's a very nice looking and detailed game.
15645677237_f4ec233754_h.jpg

15828951391_9ea9a4e6c9_h.jpg

15638495458_06146c6d76_h.jpg

15800259796_6e59712874_h.jpg

Back